http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 10:17:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars Launches this week..who's in?  (Read 6659 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2005, 08:29:11 PM »

It's on sale at Circuit City and Walmart.com for $40.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2005, 09:12:43 PM »

Quote from: "Raven"
Ok, I'll probably buy this game later this week.

So much for a mmorpg free summer.

Been said before but it's definetly not a mmrpg.  More like co-op missions with a massively multiplayer matchup area (i.e. the cities).  It's really no different from how Diablo 2 works except you have a city instead of a chat room.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2005, 09:44:25 PM »

Quote from: "skystride"
Ok, I'll probably buy this game later this week.

So much for a mmorpg free summer.

Been said before but it's definetly not a mmrpg.  More like co-op missions with a massively multiplayer matchup area (i.e. the cities).  It's really no different from how Diablo 2 works except you have a city instead of a chat room.

That's a good description except for the fact that Diablo 2 is pretty much a game about killing mobs for the phat loot they drop, and trying to get the next cool upgrade (TM). The loot in GW is mediocre, and after a while you'll go crazy that you find a wand that does 6-9 instead of 5-8. What Guild Wars is about is getting those elusive skills - approximately 75 per class, so people who dual class have about 150 from which to choose. And once you have them, then you have to figure out what combination of 8 is gonna be good, flexible, and opponent-butt-kicking. It's been described widely as akin to Magic the Gathering in the strategic aspects and that's quite true. I'm sure they're praying GW comes close to the following and longevity that MtG has had!

I've played quite a bit over the weekend and am liking it quite a bit - I played in a couple of the pre-release weekends (well, two of them) and the game has improved a lot since then. It's fun, and as always, isn't that the bottom line? smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2005, 01:38:56 PM »

To expound a bit on what has already been said...  (Long Post, be wary)

The game is a strategic/tactical person's wet dream in quite a few ways.  For those on the fence still, there are some things you should know.

Different areas (missions) bring different enemies, which bring different strategies to the table, which allow you to use different skills all the time.  As an example, I have an 8th level Monk/Mesmer that can do quite a few things.  She can:  

HEAL / PROTECT / ENERGY STEAL / HOLY DAMAGE TO ONE FOE / MAGIC DAMAGE TO AREA / MAGIC DAMAGE OVER TIME / DISRUPT ENEMY CASTERS / ENCHANT PARTY WITH BLESSINGS.

These are general areas of expertise she has right now.  I have a total list of approximately 30 skills between the Monk class and Mesmer class to fill my 8-slot "spellbook" before going to an area.  What I choose to take with me depends on who is going with me and what their expertise is, what type of enemies I will be fighting, and what I want my general role to be in the adventure (mission).  

Once the skills are picked, you then have "attribute points" to distribute between the 7 or so areas of expertise.  For me, it's like Healing Spells, Protection Spells, Smiting Spells, Domination Spells, Illusions Spells, etc, etc...

That's how the "setup" works.  Now, to use a typical mission as an example:

(note: We use TeamSpeak, as it monumentally helps in this game, due to the tactical nature of the battles)

Last night, my brother (Elementalist/Necromancer) and I had a mission to do in a place called The Breach.  Neither of us was there before.  We had no clue what to expect.  Before we head out, we talk about what roles we will take.  He decides he is going to take mostly damage spells, as he wants to deal serious localized and AoE damage.  No problem.  I tell him I am going to take a high-damage skillset also, just for fun.  I will also take a health regeneration aura that I can cast on both of us, but other than that, I am not taking healing spells for this mission.  After we decide that, we agree we want to take only 1 NPC, and we should bring the Healer with us for support, and to help us where we are lacking.  No problem.  Off we go...

As we get into the beginning of the mission, everything is working out dandy.  Holy Magic and Fire Magic explode all around our enemies (mostly fighter types) while the NPC heals away.  We are a machine!  Our tactics are basically to kill things as fast as possible.  It is working great.

Later, we begin to encounter slightly larger groups with Healers of their own.  And it is here that we realize the importance of Magic-Countering spells and skills.  We have none, zero, nada.  We went almost purely damage builds.  What ensues at this point is some of the most fun battles I can ever remember in my life in any game of this type.  One battle in particular was between the 3 of us and 5 enemies, all along a winding road overlooking a valley far below.  We had later discovered we had come across an enemy priest and his bodyguard that had "enlisted" the help of a wandering patrol of 3 fighters.  Talk about bad timing for us!  After what seemed like an eternity, my brother and I realized that the enemy priest was literally making our life hell.  We HAD to take him out.  The big problem was: without any type of magic-countering spells, this was going to be tough.  Not only that, but he had positioned himself behind some rocks and the fighters were forming a very nice makeshift shieldwall.  One of my better spells calls me to be next to the enemy to use it.  My brother, being a necromancer, also needed to close with this priest to use some of his cooler 1-on-1 spells.  

And the story goes on....   My point being, the game is geared toward gaining a tactical advantage.  This includes using cover and high ground, being properly equipped with the correct skills/spells, choosing the correct NPC(s) to travel with you, assigning your attributes correctly, coordinating attacks with your group (esp. if you have other "real" players with you), timing your spell combinations, deciding who to attack and when, watching to see what hexes are on you so you know NOT to cast certain spells as they might backfire on you, etc...

The speed of the battles are nearly perfect.  You have limited energy in order to use your special skills, so you must decide when and how to use them.  

The game is certainly a mixture of other games, but is at the same time different than anything else out there.  It is also not merely a hybrid.  It is truly unique and special in the way combat plays out, and as of right now, it is a total blast to play.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2005, 06:55:29 PM »

Lockdown - you're making this game sound more and more fun. I just don't have the time to get this thanks to World of Warcraft... frown

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2005, 11:40:56 PM »

Tim -

The good news is, Guild Wars isn't going anywhere.  I say stick with Warcraft until you get burnt out, then give this a try.  My brother and I are finding it a fantastic change of pace.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2005, 02:37:06 AM »

Donations for the Guild House (which you can vote on at OO) are being accepted.

So far we're up to 2.5k with the following donations-

Crowley 2000
Jezza Mindflayer 500

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2005, 02:25:10 PM »

How stable is GW?

Are there any issues with creating an account, lag, logging in, getting booted, etc?
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2005, 02:34:42 PM »

How stable is GW?

Are there any issues with creating an account, lag, logging in, getting booted, etc?

I haven't had a single technical problem yet, even after about 10 hours of play.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2005, 03:52:34 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Lockdown - you're making this game sound more and more fun. I just don't have the time to get this thanks to World of Warcraft... frown

I dumped WoW for this.  It's a nice change of pace to be free of the grind.  I haven't yet felt forced to do something repetitive.  Just following along the storyline and getting levels, skills and equipment naturally.  The story missions are really good btw, haven't seen this kind of scripting even in single player RPGs.  For example there is a mission early on where you have to assemble a catapult and you can actually fire it at the approaching enemy.  Another mission just had you running away from a horde of enemy.  It's a far cry from the typical fed-ex stuff.

PvP is great too, it has the same "just one more round" feel like in a multiplayer FPS.  Guild pvp should be the most fun when I'm ready for that but even random team vs team is fun.  You just have to do the best with the hand that was dealt to you (since it automatically pairs you up with random players).
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2005, 07:46:53 PM »

Anyone want to buy me GW for my birthday? biggrin  (kidding, naturally).  

Don't really have anything to trade for it right now.  Might in a week or so though. smile
Randomayhem
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2005, 11:03:55 PM »

Quote from: "skystride"
For example there is a mission early on where you have to assemble a catapult and you can actually fire it at the approaching enemy.

And not just the enemy...   :cry:
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2005, 09:48:08 PM »

Guild Wars review up on gamespot, score: 9.2
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2005, 07:47:13 AM »

Alright, Im up to the Primeval Kings part so I can now do battle for America (FUCK YEAH) and if I win, Ive a 1 in 8 chance at getting us a sigil and thus a guild hall.

Ill encourage other to get to 20 asap so that the OO can finally compete with the big dogs, but I know that this is mainly a casual guild Cool

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2005, 11:29:13 AM »

I am up to lvl 11, but long way from 20 it seems.  I do have 1plat to donate towards guild hall if needed.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2005, 01:24:32 PM »

You could probably farm enough gold to buy a sigil at level 20 in less than half an hour.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2005, 05:28:30 PM »

I hate you all.

Thanks to my friends, and all the highly positive comments in this thread about the game, I'm now a Guild Wars player. biggrin

And a damn fun time I'm having so far with this game, too.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2005, 04:35:34 AM »

Just a heads up, next friday will be a "Competition Night" where we can fight eachother or maybe play an internation match for our guild house (free of charge!).

Make a PVP character (or use your roleplaying one) and get through a few arenas and we'll meet up somewhere.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: