http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 10:35:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars Launches this week..who's in?  (Read 6920 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2005, 07:49:22 PM »

An MMO which doesn't have a monthly cost...Hrmm...might be worth looking into .

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 07:51:49 PM »

Buy me a copy and I'll play. biggrin
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 08:10:24 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Ooo, dangerous misconception there.  Guild Wars is not much of a MMO at all.  Think Phantasy Star Online, or Diablo with each Act's town as a giant visual chat lobby / group matchmaking / trade place.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 08:16:47 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Ooo, dangerous misconception there.  Guild Wars is not much of a MMO at all.  Think Phantasy Star Online, or Diablo with each Act's town as a giant visual chat lobby / matchmaking / trade place.

Matchmaking eh?

"lvl 20 necro/war lfg with simular interests and a great smile"

But Ill probably get this in a few days, depending on the OO effect.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 08:18:07 PM »

Quote from: "Crowley"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Ooo, dangerous misconception there.  Guild Wars is not much of a MMO at all.  Think Phantasy Star Online, or Diablo with each Act's town as a giant visual chat lobby / matchmaking / trade place.

Matchmaking eh?

"lvl 20 necro/war lfg with simular interests and a great smile"

But Ill probably get this in a few days, depending on the OO effect.
Alright fine, edited for clarity.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 10:33:18 PM »

The Guild Wars developers slick marketing ploy of not charging a monthly fee worked perfectly on me. smile I got into the first two "beta weekends" and thought "meh, think I will pass" then I learned there was no monthly fee so now I plan to pick this up in the next few days.
Jon Edwards
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 10:50:33 PM »

Me, me, me. I'm in. My copy should be arriving this afternoon, and I've been whiling away the time toying around with builds. I got completely addicted to PvP during the last beta weekend, but I'll see how I feel playing the real thing. Who knows, maybe I'll join the chorus of voices pronouncing, "Guild Wars Sucks!"
Randomayhem
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 10:52:40 PM »

The game may not be Diablo II, but it's set to replace Diablo II at my LAN parties.  Despite having a cooperative mode, D2 doesn't really FEEL cooperative...I'm hoping Guild Wars will encourage a bit more teamwork in that sense.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 12:08:02 AM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
Buy me a copy and I'll play. biggrin

Now hold on a sec.  Those screenshots I worked for you weren't worth that much....  Good to know you're interested. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 12:11:10 AM »

I saw the full game at Target today...pretty nice box.  It has a velcro opening fliptop on both sides.  I'm interested in how the game is.  An online RPG without fees sounds enticing and it sounds like you join a party and get private quests...so I'm guessing there would be a ton of quests?

Anyone play in the beta or alpha?  I must have been asleep at the wheel when those happened, I could have seen how cool this game was.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 12:17:09 AM »

I'll grab it, but will probably wait a week.  I've been in on day one for almost every MMORPG launch, and I always tell myself I should have waited.  I hate the frustration of even trying to create an account.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 12:53:36 AM »

Don't worry about finding it today.  Even if you buy it now, you can't play until 12:01 am PST on the 28th unless you have a preorder code.

I have a code, but never managed to try the beta weekends, so I'll try it out over the next few days and then decide if I'm buying a copy.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 12:03:19 PM »

I got the game and played some this morning... absolutely love it so far.. albiet I am not that far in.  I started a Monk named Arkon Sulastani.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 04:48:52 PM »

IN

Played for 2 hours last night (preorder early launch).
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 05:46:32 PM »

Should note that the denizens at OO have started up a guild.

Send a note to Tareeq Mustapha for an invite.

Just Hiro will do.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 07:00:31 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I got the game and played some this morning... absolutely love it so far.. albiet I am not that far in.  I started a Monk named Arkon Sulastani.

Ah!  So it was you I was playing with last night.  Sorry I vanished suddenly before we went in that cave - my computer decided to reboot.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 08:01:26 PM »

Bought it.  Played it briefly.  Like it so far.

Character:  Alyosha Wilde (i think)

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 10:37:05 PM »

Nero Crowley ingame, a lvl 5 necro/mesmer so far.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 06:48:29 AM »

8 now and I am LOVING the hell out of this game.

A few tips I wish I knew before playing:

Around level 5 or so youll suddenly find a shortage of quests and skills. You need to speak to the town crier guy next to the academy inorder to progresss to the next "world".

Armor is rarely (if ever?) droped, but rather crafted by npcs. You can get components for your peices by buying a salvage kit from a merchant and salvagine loot you dont need.

Pushing the H key will allow you to spend points in your character skills making em more powerful.

And a gold nugget, theres a gladiator arena on the next world that pairs you and 3 people of around the same lvl agianst 4 other guys. PVP goodness.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2005, 12:08:19 PM »

Yeah ChrisGwinn, it was me, don't worry I got booted at the same time as you did, was a blast though while it lasted... course now I am in the next part of the world, man is it brutal.  Another little gem I found that didn't seem to be documented... pressing "U" brings up a map that shows you where you have gone in a zone and you can click and drag within the map to scroll it around and see just how big the zone is.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2005, 12:19:03 PM »

Yep.  Played a bit more, trying out all the different class combos I could think of.... albeit hardly scratching the surface of any of them.

Every single class is fun in my opinion.  But I have decided I will focus on my Ranger/Mesmer for now.  (although both Monk and Necromancer are freaking great classes also).  

Torin Windbow in game.

Special thanks to all the OO guys who answered my never-ending questions last night (Arkon and the rest).

I still contest this game does not feel like a "true" MMORPG, but rather a mixture of games like Diablo 2, Neverwinter Nights, EQ2, and Etherlords.  However, as of right now, I am really enjoying it.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 01:21:30 PM »

Yeah that is why I posted in the OO thread... this is basically a hybrid genre... going into it thinking it is an MMORPG, or a diablo clone just doesn't work.  I think I am actually going to be restarting my character today, to go Monk/elementalist.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 02:33:45 PM »

Yeah that is why I posted in the OO thread... this is basically a hybrid genre... going into it thinking it is an MMORPG, or a diablo clone just doesn't work.  I think I am actually going to be restarting my character today, to go Monk/elementalist.

heh, i'm following your lead and starting up a warrior/necro or a ranger/necro tonight as well.  i always figure the first week of ANY rpg type game is going to consist of me "experimenting".  :wink:

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 03:17:01 PM »

cool, we can hook up and cause some havok.... warrior primary would be nice to have around for me to heal heh.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 04:28:16 PM »

sounds like a plan.  i'll probably be on after 7pm tonight for a few hours.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2005, 05:27:28 PM »

Picked it up yesterday afternoon, send a tell to

Abaddon Felbane Necro-Meser
or
Shinto Askani Monk/Meser
or
Adron Phoenixbane Ele-meser
or
Arawan Kinslayer Ranger/??

By the way my Necro is level 6 and I have the option to go to the next world but I have a ton of quests left around Lakeside still and have only explored about 20% of the area so I will probably be level 10ish before I make the jump since the NPC really stresses about not returning to the area for a long time.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2005, 05:30:05 PM »

Unfortunately you will be lucky to get past lvl 8 in the noob area since the mobs just become worth very little xp since highest lvl I have seen is lvl 4 I believe.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2005, 06:38:33 PM »

Quote from: "Abaddon"

By the way my Necro is level 6 and I have the option to go to the next world but I have a ton of quests left around Lakeside still and have only explored about 20% of the area so I will probably be level 10ish before I make the jump since the NPC really stresses about not returning to the area for a long time.

one thing to do in the newb area, by the way, is to collect as many resources as you can before leaving.  When i start another character tonight, i'm going to try to accumulate as much tanned leather squares and other armor crafting goods as i can.  finding them in the "adult" area of the game as opposed to the newb area is a bit more difficult at lower than lvl 7.

Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2005, 08:19:48 PM »

Unfortunately you will be lucky to get past lvl 8 in the noob area since the mobs just become worth very little xp since highest lvl I have seen is lvl 4 I believe.

Yes I've already begun noticing the drop in XP compared to level requirement but as long as the quests keep awarding 250 -500 xp a pop I will stick around and finish as many as I can
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2005, 04:14:57 PM »

Can you auto run in this game, or do you have to constantly hold down a key or mouse button?
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2005, 05:44:12 PM »

Quote from: "Raven"
Can you auto run in this game, or do you have to constantly hold down a key or mouse button?

Default is the R key.

Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2005, 08:00:00 PM »

OO finally has our (sweet) cape & emblem and we're inching our way towards a guild hall biggrin

We can get a guild hall by EITHER buying a celestial sigil from a merchant at the sample island off of Lions Arch or winning the Halls of Heros deal.

Unfortunalty we can only have one hall frown , so here is a listing (plus pics) of what we can choose from.

My vote's for the Isle of the Dead.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2005, 03:19:37 AM »

I like the Warriors Isle but the Isle of the Dead better fits our idiom.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2005, 10:54:59 AM »

Is there any depth to this game? The class descriptions seem pretty thin. What fun is there in playing a class with only 4 or 5 abilities?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2005, 11:28:43 AM »

The website only lists a few sample abilities.  Each class has roughly 150 different skills, and your character can be dual classed.  The strategy tho is that you can only "equip" 8 skills when you leave town so you have to pick and choose depending on the situation/group makeup.

Try this link to see all the skills.

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/skill.php
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2005, 02:04:22 PM »

Quote from: "Raven"
Is there any depth to this game? The class descriptions seem pretty thin. What fun is there in playing a class with only 4 or 5 abilities?

It's easily one of the most strategic skill system of any rpg.  The best part is that it's not dependent on how many hours you've spent levelling and loot farming but rather your character build spec and skill selection (easily changed each time you enter a mission/quest/pvp so it's impossible to gimp yourself permanently by choosing a wrong set of skills).  I'm surprised how well they managed to balance all the class combinations.  I'm sure it will be tweaked but it's a far better cry than the blatant imbalances found in other mmrpgs on release.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2005, 06:06:17 PM »

I was looking at mezzers and sorcerers. Is that a good combo?

Also

3.2 pen 4
radeon 9700 pro
512 333mhz ddr ram

Will those specs be enough?

PS, are those specs good enough for coh, btw?
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2005, 06:33:20 PM »

Those are jest fine.  I have a system well under yours and it runs great.  CoH also. I ran a system WAY WAY under yours for CoH and ran like a dream.  The instanced stuff helps a lot.

Mesmer/Elementist is a popular combo.

Just Hiro will do.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 06:36:35 PM »

Ok, I'll probably buy this game later this week.

So much for a mmorpg free summer.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 07:42:52 PM »

My mediocre system:
1.4 amd athlon
radeon 9800 128mb
1 gig ram

This is the first game in a long time that I can turn every setting to max including 4x AA at the higest resolution.  Graphics whore in me is satisfied especially in the later stages of the game, there is some beautiful scenery.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: