http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:56:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars: Factions - April 28th  (Read 2479 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2006, 04:05:44 PM »

And it can't get here soon enough!

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=5144

I look forward to all the stuff they are adding to the game.  I think they have hit upon a good business model that will work for NCSoft, as long as they have other MMOs to help offset the bandwidth costs. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 12:57:42 AM »

I just hope I can finish the main story line by than...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 09:46:31 PM »

Hm, so ya think this would be worth it for PvP only?

The original GW was so-so:  really bad PvE, decent, though pointless, PvP.

Does this edition/expansion improve any of that?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 09:58:04 PM »

Alliance Battles baby.  It's like Guild Wars meets Battlefield.  

Too bad you quit GW, we actually started getting some GvG in.  And we actually won a couple!

Exclusively PvP?  There aren't many changes in PvP, even with the god-damn fantastic Alliance Battles, and the new ability to earn new kinds of Faction.  hmm... well I think so.  But your mileage will most certainly vary.

And PvP in GW now has a point.  Not sure when you left, but they added the ability to earn Balzathar's Faction (which you use to unlock runes, components, and skills for PvP), and now Kurzick/Luxon faction, which get you faction-specific goodies (IIRC).

Just Hiro will do.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 10:46:45 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
Alliance Battles baby.  It's like Guild Wars meets Battlefield.  

Too bad you quit GW, we actually started getting some GvG in.  And we actually won a couple!

Exclusively PvP?  There aren't many changes in PvP, even with the god-damn fantastic Alliance Battles, and the new ability to earn new kinds of Faction.  hmm... well I think so.  But your mileage will most certainly vary.

And PvP in GW now has a point.  Not sure when you left, but they added the ability to earn Balzathar's Faction (which you use to unlock runes, components, and skills for PvP), and now Kurzick/Luxon faction, which get you faction-specific goodies (IIRC).
Yeah, they had faction when I was in.  Unlocking new stuff was OK.  I ended up going to the Hall of Heroes with another guild and it was pretty meh, sorta lost interest past that point.

What are these Alliance battles, now?  Like Raid vs Raid or something?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 11:28:35 PM »

Here, 'll crib from my BC preview[/urll]

Quote from: "me!"
They've made some terrific improvements to PvP also. Imagine playing Random or Team Arena, only instead of it tossing you into a 4v4 engagement, it'll throw you (or the group of 4 you made beforehand) in with a whole lot of other people in a huge 12v12 fight (against the other faction of course). There's no death penalty, and you respawn very fast, so you don't need to bring a resurrection signet or any other rez skill. Add in a dash of Battlefield-style control points, and there you have it. It's really fun.  Victories also count towards your position on a "meta-map".  This determines what map is currently "active", since this is supposed to be a battle for territory.  And it's a way for people who can't PvP in 8 man groups to take part in the "metagame" between the two factions. In fact, during the Preview Weekend, it was pretty much the only way. The greatest compliment I could pay is this: I lost nearly all desire to even approach the Random or Team Arena's anymore.

There are a few warts with this new game type, though. Organization is pretty shoddy, which should be expected when 3 4-man groups get randomly lumped together. My own guild timed it so we managed to get a few of our groups in at the same time, but I really wish there was a way for Guilds to participate in this in greater numbers. Also, about 60% of the games I participated in were decided in the first few minutes. When the game isn't going well for one side, you can expect people to start quitting. And it is not fun playing in garbage time when you're the last man standing in a group of 12.  

I like it a whole lot better than any other PvP option, simply because you don't need to bring a rez sig.

Just Hiro will do.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 12:37:19 AM »

Hmm, very informative, thanks.  Doesn't sound like my thing, though.  I think I'd rather save the $50 for Rise of Legends.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 12:48:18 AM »

I have a question for those who may know.

If I buy Factions and give my original copy of GW to a buddy can we play together?  IE will I still have access to original GW areas with just the expansion?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 02:57:47 PM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"

If I buy Factions and give my original copy of GW to a buddy can we play together?  IE will I still have access to original GW areas with just the expansion?

No.  You will be on one continent and he will be on the other.  You need to have either two copies of Factions or two copies of Prophecies.  Sorry.  When you give your copy to him, you'll have to give him your account and you will need to make a new one for Factions.  I would suggest that you are better off buying a new copy of Prophecies and helping him through the missions.   From what I've been seeing, Factions is a much quicker run to 20 than the original was.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 03:03:10 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Quote from: "denoginizer"

No.  You will be on one continent and he will be on the other.  You need to have either two copies of Factions or two copies of Prophecies.  Sorry.  When you give your copy to him, you'll have to give him your account and you will need to make a new one for Factions.  I would suggest that you are better off buying a new copy of Prophecies and helping him through the missions.   From what I've been seeing, Factions is a much quicker run to 20 than the original was.

Thanks for the info.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 03:33:28 PM »

NP.  Look me up online as:

Nathan StarCutter
Derrock Naerlon
Urd Snowmane
Nathan Bladedancer

I'd be happy to help with missions or quests

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Ibis
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 03:53:56 AM »

There are so many things I love about Guild Wars. I really like how your character starts off singley before the charring, so you get a chance to get used to him/her and they're powers, fighting skills, etc.

I like the shared chest between characters after the charring. None of this dropping items somewhere inconspicuous on the ground and coming back to pick it up with another char, hoping someone didn't find it first. Or having to trade with someone you maybe shouldn'ta trusted to hold items for you while you get your other char. You can save awesome weapons by one char for another. It's great.

I like the fact that your char gets the choice of two professions. It's nice to have a warrior, elementalist, ranger who can heal themselves and others in their party. I always make the second profession be Monk. I don't really like the look of the monk as a primary and I think they are rather weak .. unless maybe you made a Monk/Warrior. Being female, it probably matters more to me what my char looks like - so that's why its nice to choose some of the chars based on looks - like Elementalist.

I love that you can choose to fight solo, with any number of the henchmen available at a post or with a party of real other players or mixed players/henchmen. I think this game is very flexible in this way. I generally fight with a party of henchmen, for several reasons.

The henchmen are obedient and they know where to go. I've been in parties where people actually start arguing which is the way to go or just with each other due to personalities. Buncha cr@p! If you want henchmen who will get right up in the enemies face - you pick the fighter & brawler. If you want henchmen that you'll have more control over and can do more casting or sneaking then you pick the healers, magicals. Also, if you are fighting many enemies and about to die, you can run back to a safe distance and let the henchmen stay and take the heat while you heal, & then come back.

I also like in the very beginning that you can choose the PVP side or the Normal side...that is so important to get all the PVPing fools outa everybody else's hair. I have made one char for PVP side, but I deleted her and am content now to have my Ranger with her pet Moabird fight in the Lion's Arch Arena. Must admit it is great fun. I don't think it increases you skills or rank any though, does it? It's also nice that the arenas are arranged by rank - so that lvl 10's don't have to fight lvl 15's or 20's.

Our guild is The Explorer's Club and consists of our 8 characters - Cain & I. His warrior Angus Grim is the head of the Guild and my Ranger/Monk is the VP and recruiter. So, if you'd like to join - let me know. We are not a PVP Guild but we do allow fighting in the arenas.

My chars are:
Thundara Grim - Warrioress
Hera Bowsong - Ranger with pet Moa, Hurricane
Krypta MinionMaster - Necromancer
Deana Thundra - Lightning Elementalist
*all my girls are monks for secondary profession

Clik This Link to see my Guild War girls.

If you see me online - play with me! ninja

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away ......... *from Farewell Note of Velda to her loving family.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 04:18:52 AM »

Quote from: "Ibis"
I also like in the very beginning that you can choose the PVP side or the Normal side...that is so important to get all the PVPing fools outa everybody else's hair.
It's not like you can PvP anywhere outside of strict PvP maps, though, so I don't think it's really an issue of segregation as much as it is a favor to those who want to 'reroll' without having to endure the ennui of the PvE game again.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 05:33:29 AM »

I wish they had a demo for me to try this game again frown
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 11:38:47 AM »

Quote from: "Ibis"
A bunch of stuff

I tend to agree with most of the things you said.  I have stated before that even though I don't stick with MMO's (granted, GW is more like a hybrid-MMO), I do like the concept of them.  

Guild Wars is a pretty cool game as far as I'm concerned also.  I started playing this with my brother, and to be honest, we had alot of fun... alot.  Then, all of a sudden, for a reason I can not remember, I just stopped playing.  I think it had to do with a personal glitch in the way I think.  I will try to describe this:  

I look at the game, and what I see is a quasi-strategy game.  That is probably why I like it more than "traditional MMO's".  I look at the upcoming quest ahead of me, decide who I am taking with me to help me complete it, decide the role I want to take, choose the 8 powers I want to take, then distribute my earned skill points in the appropriate trees.  I can't tell you how cool I think the concept is.  But then I get out in the world, and combat moves so fast (to me), I throw all concept of strategy out the window and push buttons.  I call this RTS syndrome.  When I play Real Time Strategy games, I am trying to not waste even a millisecond of time.  Every second counts and must be spent doing something that must be done in order to stay as efficient as possible.  I get this same feeling when I play this game.  I am not blaming Guild Wars for my issues, I am blaming the way I think.  And certain classes are worse for this than others.  The Ranger, for example, is not quite as bad, but I enjoy playing the mage-classes the most, and I really feel that way when I play as them.  I am convinced that if Guild Wars had a "Combat Speed" slider, I would still be playing it, and probably be trying to convince others to as well.

Anyway, nice post and welcome to Gaming Trend.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 08:10:41 PM »

Gah, I'm tempted to buy Factions after reading some of the 12v12 PvP AARs.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 08:55:23 PM »

12v12 is sorta uneven right now

it's either a close or good game, or a blowout within the first 4 minutes.  I have no idea how the sides are split now. I think it's about even.

Just Hiro will do.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 10:19:07 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
12v12 is sorta uneven right now

it's either a close or good game, or a blowout within the first 4 minutes.  I have no idea how the sides are split now. I think it's about even.
Strange.  Does this seem to be an issue of pre-organized versus pickup, or is it just the sheer dumb luck of skill synergies/player ability, or is there some other issue?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 04:12:10 AM »

It's pretty much just dumb luck.  The only control you have is over the 4-man group you get put together.  Then you're lumped with two other 4-man groups.  So it's really a crapshoot whether you'll get some groups that know what they're doing or a group of complete fucking idiots.  

In the preview event they lumped ALL the 4-man groups in one big thing, and you could all talk to each other in Team Chat.  It was pretty chaotic, and keeping the 4-man group together was pretty hard. Now all I see is just my 4-man group, and AFAIK I can only talk with them in  Team chat.  Easier to organize the 4-man group but man, it's a real PITA to handle the big picture stuff. Could be wrong, only played one alliance battle so far.  We got stomped.  And it was on god damn Saltspray Beach too.  That was like my best map in the preview event.  Kurzick RULED that map.

Just Hiro will do.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 02:46:44 PM »

Interesting,  the one battle I played, team chat let everyone talk.  You had your chat colored by the group you were in, and a number next to it. So you could see who was chatting and which team they were on.   Of course, this didn't mean we were any more organized, but hey. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 03:36:53 PM »

Only had a chance to play one Alliance battle so far, so I could be totally wrong.

Just Hiro will do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: