http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:47:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars  (Read 2060 times)
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2005, 01:44:59 PM »

I recently picked this up, as did Simon, and I know over at Octopus Overlords there is a lot of chat about this game, as well as an OO Guild.

I'm curious if there are people here who are playing the game but aren't visitors of OO.  It seems strange that there's little discussion of Guild Wars at CG.  It's a fantastic game.

If nothing else, post a pic of your player character!

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 02:49:13 PM »

Still playing since Day 1 and working on getting my second character to 20.  Instead of loot collecting or level grinding like other RPGs, I'm addicted to skill collecting.  So many of them and it's so easy to switch around your attribute points to try different builds.

When I played games like EQ, CoH, SWG etc., I always had the desire to try all the classes with all their skills but it was just not possible to do without investing life-destroying amounts of time.  With GW, it's doable at a relaxed casual pace.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 05:06:55 PM »

i've had GW for a little over two weeks now, and it's the only game i've touched since.  i've put nearly 80 hours into my PvE character (now a lvl 18 R/N) and have still not finished that portion of the game...i'm at The Wilds right now.  i also have a second character, a lvl 8 Ele/Mo, that just made it post-searing a few days ago, but i haven't been playing that one much at all.  i haven't been hooked on a game like this for a while...and it's nice having lots of time to play while i'm not working Cool

i'll try to find some nice scenery and get a good screenshot when i load up the game later today...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 06:35:25 PM »

Oh yes, The Wilds.  I finally beat that by the way.  Had to say "screw it" to the bonus quest.  By the way, we were WAY off, the bonus quest was right around those first groups of centaur right by the first cutscene.

Oh, and to make it worse, the end of the mission was right around the corner where we bit it.

Oh and screenshots.  A great thing about Guild Wars is that it'll stick you and your party into the cutscenes.

Just Hiro will do.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 07:22:42 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
Oh yes, The Wilds.  I finally beat that by the way.  Had to say "screw it" to the bonus quest.  By the way, we were WAY off, the bonus quest was right around those first groups of centaur right by the first cutscene.

Oh, and to make it worse, the end of the mission was right around the corner where we bit it.

i haven't gone back to try it again yet, but i just assumed we were right by the end...that's the way it's worked out everyt other time, so why not this one? slywink

as for the bonus, i do plan on getting it when i go back.  i've looked up the location, so i know where i need to go this time.  i've gotten every other bonus so far, so i figure i'll keep up the trend.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 08:00:16 PM »

The towns are always spamming with "LFG for bonus".  I don't know why everyone is so keen on the bonus mission.  Other than the "fun factor" aspect, xp and skill points come naturally as you progress.  You also hit level 20 automatically about 70% through the game whether you have enough xp or not.  Sometimes I hear, "I want to be strong enough for the missions so that's why I level grind and/or do the bonus".  But in GW, your skill set and armor is more important than a few levels.  My level 14 cruised through the missions and is now in Ventarii Refuse.  If I do the 10-15 arena, I kick butt because I have better armor and skills than most people.  Solo'd a group of 3 once in arena after my party wiped.

For my 3rd alt, I hope I can get some help and run to ascension quest bypassing most of the missions.  I know some people have ascended (auto hit 20) with a level 3-5 character.  Don't know any other rpg where you can hit level cap in about 5hrs.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 10:55:36 PM »

Quote from: "skystride"
The towns are always spamming with "LFG for bonus".  I don't know why everyone is so keen on the bonus mission.  Other than the "fun factor" aspect, xp and skill points come naturally as you progress.  You also hit level 20 automatically about 70% through the game whether you have enough xp or not.  Sometimes I hear, "I want to be strong enough for the missions so that's why I level grind and/or do the bonus".  But in GW, your skill set and armor is more important than a few levels.  My level 14 cruised through the missions and is now in Ventarii Refuse.  If I do the 10-15 arena, I kick butt because I have better armor and skills than most people.  Solo'd a group of 3 once in arena after my party wiped.

Ventari Refuse? Refuge, I think! smile

Yeah, the bonus missions are 1000 xp only and no skill points. The further I got into the game the fewer bonus missions I did.

One reason people might be scrounging for XP though is that once you hit 20, and need skill points, they are quite slow to come in. Your only big XP options at that point are to go to the places from the Temple of the Ages, and you can't always do that if your region is not winning the PvP wars (if you don't know, whichever region: America, Europe, Korea - wins in the Hall of Heroes has the "favor of the gods" - when you have favor, you can go to some pretty extreme zones from the Temple of the Ages - by speaking to the avatars of the gods there - it costs 1K to enter the mission, and you can't bring henchmen. But inside there are some 5000 and 10000 point quests which I have heard, are repeatable if you go in another time. Unfortunately the zones are full of level 24 to 29 mobs! Only 2 of the 4 avatars grant missions so perhaps the other 2 will come in a patch soon).

For my 3rd alt, I hope I can get some help and run to ascension quest bypassing most of the missions.  I know some people have ascended (auto hit 20) with a level 3-5 character.  Don't know any other rpg where you can hit level cap in about 5hrs.

Well, strictly speaking it'd be 3 hours or so of playing, and 2 to 3 hours of lying dead while your 5 friends claw their way thru the mobs. Because you're gonna be dead most of the way there, I would bet.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 12:18:10 AM »

I don't know why everyone is so keen on the bonus mission.  Other than the "fun factor" aspect, xp and skill points come naturally as you progress.  You also hit level 20 automatically about 70% through the game whether you have enough xp or not.  Sometimes I hear, "I want to be strong enough for the missions so that's why I level grind and/or do the bonus".

i just like to do all the missions, including bonuses, for the sake of experiencing all that the game has to offer.  that's the same reason that i'm level 18 now and haven't yet reached the ascension trials (i'm at The Wilds)...i've done everything i can find along the way in order to learn new skills, have some extra fun with other players, and have the satisfaction of knowing i've completed everything possible along the way.  while playing my first PvE character, my goal is not to hit level 20 as soon as possible, it's to gain levels as they come and have a good time along the way.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 03:28:13 AM »

I'm kinda OCD, there has to be two swords behind the shield for me. It actively bothers me when I don't complete the bonus because icon just looks....incomplete.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 05:10:42 AM »

yeah me too. I just have to complete my set.

Just Hiro will do.
Dinkytoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 02:48:16 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"
I don't know why everyone is so keen on the bonus mission.  Other than the "fun factor" aspect, xp and skill points come naturally as you progress.  You also hit level 20 automatically about 70% through the game whether you have enough xp or not.  Sometimes I hear, "I want to be strong enough for the missions so that's why I level grind and/or do the bonus".

i just like to do all the missions, including bonuses, for the sake of experiencing all that the game has to offer.  that's the same reason that i'm level 18 now and haven't yet reached the ascension trials (i'm at The Wilds)...i've done everything i can find along the way in order to learn new skills, have some extra fun with other players, and have the satisfaction of knowing i've completed everything possible along the way.  while playing my first PvE character, my goal is not to hit level 20 as soon as possible, it's to gain levels as they come and have a good time along the way.

Thats the way I play too, I'm not in a hurry to get to the end. And Guild Wars has one of the largest worlds with more stuff to do in those worlds, than any game I can think of.

But it is neat that people who want to rush through, I guess to play pvp, can also play that way.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 07:55:00 PM »

Is this the game that's free to play? Think I saw it in walmart last night for $40, was thinking about getting it.
Is there a singleplayer component to it?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 08:55:36 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Is this the game that's free to play? Think I saw it in walmart last night for $40, was thinking about getting it.
Is there a singleplayer component to it?

There is no monthly fee beyond the game price, if that's what you're asking.

There are two sides to the game:

PvE, where you do missions, and quests. These are done in a group ranging from 2 to 8 characters. You CAN have computer controlled guys fill out your party and while it works pretty well, it's  sometimes frustrating and sometimes impossible to do missions with just them.

the other side is PvP where you fight other players in 4 on 4, 8 on 8, 8 on 8 on 8 on 8 on 8, or guild vs guild battles. For this part, it's pretty much necessary to have other people playing with you (once again, you CAN get computer controlled guys to fill out your party but you will almost invariably lose in this case).

------------

In summary, I'd say while you CAN do the PvE solo, there are some times when you will want other breathing people in a group.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 09:17:02 PM »

Thanks Charlatan, thinking of heading to EB and trading in a couple older games to get it.

Do you have to hire the henchmen, or are they free? Easy to come by for a beginner?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 10:12:28 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Thanks Charlatan, thinking of heading to EB and trading in a couple older games to get it.

Do you have to hire the henchmen, or are they free? Easy to come by for a beginner?

they're always free and readily available at the exit of every zone...just click the ones you want and they'll tag along.  the game is very party-oriented, so you have access to henchmen as soon as you get out of the early "tutorial " portion of the game (referred to as 'pre-searing').

i answered your question with more detail in the other thread Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: