http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 05:51:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars?  (Read 1436 times)
KC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2005, 09:43:52 PM »

I am a relative MMORPG newbie and have played WoW up to a level 24 Dark Elf.  I've heard about the upcoming Guild Wars and was wondering what the beta testers have to say.  I generally play solo and am liking WoW, but am getting tired of the fedex quests.  Is Guild Wars more of the same?  Also, is there really no monthly fee?
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 11:12:33 PM »

There is no monthly fee.  It is not an MMORPG of the true sort.  the only place where you are with other people is in the "city/town" zones before you start out on a quest.  The quests and this includes travelling to a new area are all instanced for your group.  You can solo but will be doing so accomponied by NPC's you can "rent" sort of to fill places in the group not filled by regular people.  The instances are set for a certain number of players and you really need to at least have close to what it calls for to complete it.  From what I understand of it the instances are handed off from the server where you meet up to the players computers that is why there is no fee; it does not require a huge backend infrastructure to support it.  The graphics are very good the quests I have done are very linear with a few deviations for bonus quests.

I wouldnt compare guild wars to any mmorpg out there its just not the same.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 05:02:32 AM »

I got in one of the later betas and really enjoyed it.  The thing is if you don’t like to group you might as well look elsewhere.  From what I saw 95% of the game revolves around group questing.  Also one of the things I enjoy most about WOW is the trade skills which don’t even amount to a foot note in Guild Wars.
Jon Edwards
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 06:49:48 AM »

The instanced multiplayer gameplay you describe sort of sounds like how Yserbius used to work on the Sierra games network. I had a lot of fun with that game, and I've wondered why that model hasn't been used more widely.

I didn't pay much attention to this game until I saw some screenshots lately. The character designs look awesome, both male and female. I usually try to find reasons not to get addicted to yet another MMORPG, but I'm a sucker for excellent character design.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 03:07:42 PM »

I played during the E3 thing last year.  I thought it looked great.  Thought the level cap sort of kept everyone from doing much of anything.  I didnt have a problem soloing when I played.  Its like Diablo pretty much.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 05:06:44 PM »

I'd be interested to try it out.  I'll have to watch for one of these 'beta weekends'.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 05:11:11 PM »

April 15.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print