http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 11:33:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)  (Read 41171 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 29, 2012, 03:50:13 PM »

For me it is the next great thing.  It's set the bar to a new level.  I will never again pay a monthly fee for an MMO (but it seems like everything is moving to free to play anyhow).  I will never again accept an MMO that doesn't encourage collaboration and cooperation amongst strangers as strongly as GW2 does.  I'm done with steep levelling curves, I'm done with holy trinity grouping requirements, I'm done with needing 40 people to block off 3 hours in order to see a cool giant boss battle.

There's still room for improvement, of course, but GW2 is the new baseline for what I can demand to see in an MMO.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 29, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 29, 2012, 03:50:13 PM

For me it is the next great thing.  It's set the bar to a new level.  I will never again pay a monthly fee for an MMO (but it seems like everything is moving to free to play anyhow).  I will never again accept an MMO that doesn't encourage collaboration and cooperation amongst strangers as strongly as GW2 does.  I'm done with steep levelling curves, I'm done with holy trinity grouping requirements, I'm done with needing 40 people to block off 3 hours in order to see a cool giant boss battle.

There's still room for improvement, of course, but GW2 is the new baseline for what I can demand to see in an MMO.

I'm an Arclight, and I approve of this message.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #882 on: October 29, 2012, 05:51:18 PM »

Fuck you giant timed group jumping puzzle of DOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

That is all.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 30, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »

so in case you guys haven't heard. nov is kicking off with a content patch.

some stuff confirmed:
a new harder dungeon compared to what's in the game
events leading up the main patch. possibly beginning as early as thur/friday
new spvp game types
new events

speculation is an entire new island to explore.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 03, 2012, 03:28:42 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 30, 2012, 11:59:05 PM

so in case you guys haven't heard. nov is kicking off with a content patch.

some stuff confirmed:
a new harder dungeon compared to what's in the game
events leading up the main patch. possibly beginning as early as thur/friday
new spvp game types
new events

speculation is an entire new island to explore.

So there's a content patch? No wonder I just logged on and tried to play and there's a whole load of files to download. I just wanted to logged on quickly and play for an hour. Ugh!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: November 04, 2012, 08:19:53 AM »

the main stuff doesnt hit til the 15th. just beached whales and flyers atm. i would expect to go down this week, probably tuesday.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 15, 2012, 12:10:24 AM »

There a big "Lost Shores" weekend event that kicks off this Friday.  Looking forward to it!

This is also a free trial weekend.  I (supposedly) have three guest keys that I'm happy to send out to anyone who wants one.  Will need to figure out where they are though...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:12:43 AM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 16, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 15, 2012, 12:10:24 AM

There a big "Lost Shores" weekend event that kicks off this Friday.  Looking forward to it!

This is also a free trial weekend.  I (supposedly) have three guest keys that I'm happy to send out to anyone who wants one.  Will need to figure out where they are though...

Heres how you distribute your guest keys:  https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/free-trial-event-november-15-18/

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 16, 2012, 04:51:32 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on November 16, 2012, 03:53:52 PM

Quote from: Gratch on November 15, 2012, 12:10:24 AM

Heres how you distribute your guest keys:  https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/free-trial-event-november-15-18/

Thanks rshetts2.  I sent out one this morning, but have 2 more if anyone wants 'em.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 17, 2012, 12:03:59 AM »

Apparently all the new quest lines for this "one time event" are completely bugged.  None of the NPC's who allow you to continue the quest are spawning, so there are a truckload of people just standing around until they fix it.

The new dungeon apparently works though...might have to give that a run later tonight.

EDIT:  Gave the dungeon a go with a two different random PUGs last night.  They were a glaring reminder of why I dislike gaming with other people.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:06:17 PM by Gratch » Logged

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 17, 2012, 12:09:22 AM »

this is one of those games i passed on at launch (xcom was fast approaching and im a "one game guy" slywink) but have considered lately.  the only thing ive heard to change my mind is that the world is starting to feel a bit... empty... true or not?  keep in mind im someone who thinks that an MMO better be "MM" - is it going to be a problem if i jump into the party late?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 17, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »

So I finally get to the final mission on my personal story quest this afternoon.  A quest that I have played through solo for the last 110 hours and 80+ levels.  So what do they do?  Make the final dungeon the only time in the entire game where you are required to group.  Even better, I haven't been able to find anyone to do it (the only PUG's I've found wanted to charge me 30+ silver to join). 

Yes, I know I'm playing an MMO, but the reason I've enjoyed it so much is because I haven't had to "officially" join up with anyone throughout this process.  It has been completely, 100% soloable...right up until the very last mission.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Changing it all up at the very end is puppies.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 18, 2012, 12:47:13 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on November 17, 2012, 12:09:22 AM

this is one of those games i passed on at launch (xcom was fast approaching and im a "one game guy" slywink) but have considered lately.  the only thing ive heard to change my mind is that the world is starting to feel a bit... empty... true or not?  keep in mind im someone who thinks that an MMO better be "MM" - is it going to be a problem if i jump into the party late?

It's emptier than it was before, but there's always people bringing up alts, so I would go ahead and dive in. Plus, the nature of group events helps draw people together even if the zone is somewhat sparse. And the culture of the gamers in the game seems very friendly and collaborative. You can ask zone chat for help on just about anything an people usually help out.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 19, 2012, 11:29:41 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 17, 2012, 09:04:50 PM

So I finally get to the final mission on my personal story quest this afternoon.  A quest that I have played through solo for the last 110 hours and 80+ levels.  So what do they do?  Make the final dungeon the only time in the entire game where you are required to group.  Even better, I haven't been able to find anyone to do it (the only PUG's I've found wanted to charge me 30+ silver to join).  

Yes, I know I'm playing an MMO, but the reason I've enjoyed it so much is because I haven't had to "officially" join up with anyone throughout this process.  It has been completely, 100% soloable...right up until the very last mission.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Changing it all up at the very end is puppies.

Hey Gratch, I'm on that quest too - maybe we can get enough GT/OO people together to do it.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 20, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 19, 2012, 11:29:41 PM

Quote from: Gratch on November 17, 2012, 09:04:50 PM

So I finally get to the final mission on my personal story quest this afternoon.  A quest that I have played through solo for the last 110 hours and 80+ levels.  So what do they do?  Make the final dungeon the only time in the entire game where you are required to group.  Even better, I haven't been able to find anyone to do it (the only PUG's I've found wanted to charge me 30+ silver to join).  

Yes, I know I'm playing an MMO, but the reason I've enjoyed it so much is because I haven't had to "officially" join up with anyone throughout this process.  It has been completely, 100% soloable...right up until the very last mission.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Changing it all up at the very end is puppies.

Hey Gratch, I'm on that quest too - maybe we can get enough GT/OO people together to do it.

I need to run it for my Engineer

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 20, 2012, 02:21:05 PM »

Cool, I'd love to get through it if we can get a group together.  I've never grouped in GW2, so I honestly have no idea how that all works.  Good news is, I'm off tomorrow afternoon through Sunday, so I should have plenty of time to give it a shot.   thumbsup

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 20, 2012, 03:38:53 PM »

Name a time and I'd be happy to help out with my thief if I'm available.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 20, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »

Well unfortunately, short-term timing is not the best because my folks are headed in for Thanksgiving. Maybe Sunday afternoon/evening? We'll need a fifth.

Grouping is easy, although I'm assuming we're not all on the same server. We'll have to do some server hopping, but from what I understand that is easy.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 21, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »

What server is everyone on?  Ehmry Bay here.

KC

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 24, 2012, 02:03:10 AM »

I've been playing this for the last few weeks and agree with the earlier comment that the world is feeling empty.  For the first 10 levels or so, there were lots of players around to team on events.  I'm up to level 26 now and sometimes I can't find anyone to join me for an event and I end up getting mobbed even though I am 2-3 levels above the recommended level.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: November 24, 2012, 07:12:38 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 21, 2012, 09:58:04 PM

What server is everyone on?  Ehmry Bay here.

I think most of us are on Ehmry Bay.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 25, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »

Quote from: KC on November 24, 2012, 02:03:10 AM

I've been playing this for the last few weeks and agree with the earlier comment that the world is feeling empty.  For the first 10 levels or so, there were lots of players around to team on events.  I'm up to level 26 now and sometimes I can't find anyone to join me for an event and I end up getting mobbed even though I am 2-3 levels above the recommended level.

This was a problem I know I mentioned in Beta test but of course was ignored.   The PvE is so much fun when there are others around; even a single other person makes a world of difference, but as soon as it's empty, it can be a complete chore to accomplish anything.  What they need is a reason for people to come back to lower level areas, and to make the whole "dynamic PvE" more meaningful.  There should be server wide rewards or some other motivation to keeping lower levels intact, and the enemy content should be constantly encroaching.  As much as I love the game, I get frustrated by knowing what it has/had the potential to be.

My advice if you are stuck solo is to go to a completely different lower level area and just do those quests and exploration, or supplement with a bit of crafting.  I've done full levels just wandering around in areas far below my level, and it's still fun.  The xp is smaller but comes much faster the more you outlevel the content.
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 26, 2013, 03:13:23 AM »

Anyone still playing?  i'm late to the game and on Ehmry Bay.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 26, 2013, 03:53:50 AM »

I'm planning on getting it sometime next month, but I won't be playing it until around the end of June.
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 26, 2013, 06:26:07 AM »

Server is still plenty full, so don't feel like you're going to be a lone.  I've found lots of nice people to group with.

Quote from: kronovan on May 26, 2013, 03:53:50 AM

I'm planning on getting it sometime next month, but I won't be playing it until around the end of June.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 16, 2013, 09:29:27 PM »

this game looks awesome in 3D.  that is all.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 29, 2013, 11:33:52 AM »

so, did everyone know that Blizzard has taken over Guild Wars 2?  I didn't realize it until I got this email:

Subject: Guild Wars 2 Team

Greetings!

It will be ongoing for further investigation by ArenaNet's employees. We are concerned about whether your account has been stolen. In order to guarantee the legitimacy of your account, click the link below. Once your account authentication has been completed, we will check your account and let you know what we can do for you. Need help or have questions about your account? Visit our support site.  Guild Wars 2 Team.

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #907 on: October 30, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »

I also got one of those fake e-mails as well yesterday. Totally made my day. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: