http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 07:18:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)  (Read 39013 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: August 29, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 28, 2012, 01:00:31 PM

Since you have ten skill slots to bring to the battle only, and 5 of them are based on your current weapon loadout, and the other 5 arent, I'd say there is a LOT of customization to be done in how you mix those 10 skills.

Let me clarify the character customization.  At first blush it's kind of similar to Diablo 3, and while there are quite a few similarities, there are also subtleties that make it overallly a more interesting system IMHO.

As Raz mentions, there are 10 hotkey slots.  The first 5 are based on what weapon you are using.  You start off with a single skill and as you kill things you unlock the remaining 4.  By swapping to an alternate weapon or weapon combination, you get access to a completely different set of 5 skills.  This is something I never felt they made clear, but it's a very interesting feature.  Note not every class gets access to every weapon.  But there's nothing stopping you from getting every possible weapon combination (2-handed, dual wielding, weapon+shield, weapon+torch, etc etc) and unlocking all your weapon skills even at level 1.  At lvl 8 you get access to a weapon swap key, so you can seamlessly switch between 2 sets of 5 skills even in the middle of a fight.  I believe the elementalist system works differently.

You also start off with a single healing skill in slot 6.  Depending on your class and race you may have some other options in your Function keys.  You can unlock skill points by doing "skill challenges" which usually entails killing something or getting to a difficult spot.  Skill points can be used to unlock other skills for a particular spot.  Up to level 5 (I think?) you can only unlock different healing skills.  At that point the 7th slot opens and you can use skill points to unlock in that category.  At 10 another slot opens, another at lvl 20 and finally the "Elite" skill spot at lvl 30 (this is a convention from the original GW).  At lvl 11, you also unlock traits and you get a trait point every level.  These are used to specialize further, and investing in a tree will get you specific enhancements.  

There's a common notion that there are, for example, no healers in the game as they have purposely moved away from the "Holy Trinity."  While this is very true, in terms of specialization, it doesn't mean you can't specialize to be very defensive/healing minded.  For my first guardian, when I go into PvP, baseline I go with Hammer and Shield.  This gives me a nice bevy of defensive/shielding skills.  In my alternate weapon slot I use a scepter and focus, whcih gives me some ranged damage and a snare.  Slot 6 is my core heal skill, I presently like Healing Breeze but they are all good in different ways.  Slot 7-9 depends on what I think my role is.  Given there are a lot of offensive teammates, I go with healing/protection based combinations.  I pick an old GW combo that allows me to draw conditions from the party to me and then convert them all to boons.  My final skill is a run boost that also gives Aegis (shield) to all members.  When I go back to PvE, I go with Sword or 2H-sword, and a different set of enhancement skills (teleport and explode, AoE fire, etc).  These work together well as the sword also has a teleport to enemy so I can port in and do some massive damage.

Your choice of gear will also influence your overall build, e.g. for the above I try to go with +Healing Power and +Vitality.  For damage I look at other stats.  In other words you have a ton of options for customization.  Once you hit 30 at any given moment you can access 10 different weapon skills, 5 regular skills (which can be chosen in tandem with you attribute traits) to form combos meant to work together, and a whole line of traits to further define the build, as well as gear options.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:10:24 PM by rittchard » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: August 29, 2012, 09:46:34 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 29, 2012, 08:48:33 PM

cause they are using reddit

they're using reddit?  screw that; give us nice and orderly forums for our 60 bucks.  or I should say your 60 bucks, I haven't bought the game yet.

anyways, hacking and phishing attempts abound.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #722 on: August 30, 2012, 12:25:07 AM »

So I'm an MMO newb. I've dabbled in stuff like Maple Story and things like that, but never really taken the plunge into a "real" MMO. Would I like Guild Wars 2?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 30, 2012, 01:03:42 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on August 30, 2012, 12:25:07 AM

So I'm an MMO newb. I've dabbled in stuff like Maple Story and things like that, but never really taken the plunge into a "real" MMO. Would I like Guild Wars 2?

Im mostly a MMO noob as well.  The only MMO I've spent significant time with is SWTOR, and that fizzled for me before the free month was even done.  I'm really enjoying what I've seen in GW2, even if most of the social aspects are lost on me.  The dynamic events that let me simply jump in and out of community tasks is fantastic for solitary gamers like me who don't want to bother with formal party groups and such.  Doubt I'll ever touch PvP (doesn't interest me much), but the PvE aspects are fantastic so far.

Tl;dr:  go for it.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 30, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »

Ramblings:

It's pretty rare when I absolutely hate a game.  I'm a pretty forgiving gamer for the most part.  The exception to that rule is sports games, where I tend to be overly critical.  On the other hand, I generally don't gush completely either.  Even the Homeworld Series and some of the amazing 2kSports Basketball titles from 2007 on, I usually find something that bothers me eventually.  But I have to say I simply can't say enough positive things about Guild Wars 2.  For a genre that has basically worn out it's welcome with so many people (even me to a certain degree I guess) - I'm finding this game to be flat outstanding.  Since Saturday, I get home from work and can not get changed and settle in front of the PC fast enough.  To say the game has it's hooks in me is an understatement.  I love playing my Sylvari ranger and Asura thief equally, and really the only upsetting thing for me is that I can't play them both at the same time.  icon_wink

From a WvW standpoint, it's just too much fun.  But honestly, I knew that was going to rock from the betas, so I'm not completely surprised how great it is.  It's the primary reason I wanted the game.  It's from the pve standpoint that I'm so blown away though.  I am constantly finding new areas to explore that I miss with one character and then accidently find with another.  The rewarding exploration component of this game can not be expressed in words.  Now granted, I love the art style and the stupid little attention to detail everywhere, which makes it much more satisfying than it may for others that don't pay attention to things like that.  But I've never been a task oriented player in games like this - so the idea of going from heart to heart to heart on a predetermined path to fill them in and move on to the next area is not something I even remotely think about.  Basically, I just wander around (especially with my asura, cause I love to watch the silliness of his running animations) and just go places that look cool or interesting, often getting in way over my head.  It is a total blast.

So, I am proud to say I am officially gushing over Guild Wars 2 - and at this point at least, can not imagine wanting more from the game.  Arenanet really hit this one out of the park, and I think the 5 year development time (or whatever it was) really, really paid off.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 30, 2012, 03:31:29 PM »

My only gripe right now is that I can't find some of the exploration points.  I've been to every possible corner of the Nord starting map, hit every vista and every heart quest, and it still says I'm still missing one point of interest (I have 18/19).  I've even checked the area maps in the guide and can't figure out where I'm missing it.   icon_evil

I'm starting to figure out weapon switching, and it's made combat lots more fun.  I'll shoot off a series of ranged attacks with a bow, draw their attention, then switch over to some devastating melee attacks when they get into range.  Working on my dodging as well...still a little rough but getting better.  smile  Got involved in a huge group event last night where we first defended a tower from waves of baddies, then spent 15-20 minutes taking down a huge boss.   Being able to just randomly jump into the fray and watching this battle naturally develop from a small group of 6 of us to a massive force of 40+ over the course of 30 minutes was just all kinds of awesome.  This is the first game where I actually enjoy interacting with other people and helping them achieve missions instead of feeling like I'm constantly in competition with them.   thumbsup
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:42:19 PM by Gratch » Logged

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 30, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 30, 2012, 03:31:29 PM

My only gripe right now is that I can't find some of the exploration points.  I've been to every possible corner of the Nord starting map, hit every vista and every heart quest, and it still says I'm still missing one point of interest (I have 18/19).  I've even checked the area maps in the guide and can't figure out where I'm missing it.   icon_evil

Just check off each point one by one as you compare against in-game map and guide map.  So far I've completed 3 of the starting zones and 2 cities.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 30, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on August 30, 2012, 12:25:07 AM

If you like RPGs, sure.  It's got everything the other pay to play MMOs have and more but with no monthy subs.  Also if you're into MOBA, the sPvP  mode is worth checking out.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 30, 2012, 04:07:41 PM »

Anyone still interested in joining a guild is welcome to join House of Thunderbottom Ale ( www.thunderbottomale.com ) on the Ehmry Bay Server.  Just send me an in game tell Hanton.1307

Even if you don't like grouping up I find that our Mumble server is awesome because all you have to do is ask a question and chances are someone in the guild will be able to answer it really quickly. So if you can't find that last point of interest or need some crafting advice it's right there.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 30, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 30, 2012, 03:06:00 PM

Ramblings:

It's pretty rare when I absolutely hate a game.  I'm a pretty forgiving gamer for the most part.  The exception to that rule is sports games, where I tend to be overly critical.  On the other hand, I generally don't gush completely either.  Even the Homeworld Series and some of the amazing 2kSports Basketball titles from 2007 on, I usually find something that bothers me eventually.  But I have to say I simply can't say enough positive things about Guild Wars 2.  For a genre that has basically worn out it's welcome with so many people (even me to a certain degree I guess) - I'm finding this game to be flat outstanding.  Since Saturday, I get home from work and can not get changed and settle in front of the PC fast enough.  To say the game has it's hooks in me is an understatement.  I love playing my Sylvari ranger and Asura thief equally, and really the only upsetting thing for me is that I can't play them both at the same time.  icon_wink

From a WvW standpoint, it's just too much fun.  But honestly, I knew that was going to rock from the betas, so I'm not completely surprised how great it is.  It's the primary reason I wanted the game.  It's from the pve standpoint that I'm so blown away though.  I am constantly finding new areas to explore that I miss with one character and then accidently find with another.  The rewarding exploration component of this game can not be expressed in words.  Now granted, I love the art style and the stupid little attention to detail everywhere, which makes it much more satisfying than it may for others that don't pay attention to things like that.  But I've never been a task oriented player in games like this - so the idea of going from heart to heart to heart on a predetermined path to fill them in and move on to the next area is not something I even remotely think about.  Basically, I just wander around (especially with my asura, cause I love to watch the silliness of his running animations) and just go places that look cool or interesting, often getting in way over my head.  It is a total blast.

So, I am proud to say I am officially gushing over Guild Wars 2 - and at this point at least, can not imagine wanting more from the game.  Arenanet really hit this one out of the park, and I think the 5 year development time (or whatever it was) really, really paid off.

LD

Argh! Come on weekend get here already.. so I can go to the PC lounge and play it!
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 30, 2012, 05:50:56 PM »

A quick tip on dodging, map it to an unused mouse key (if you have them).  That made it a lot easier for me.  I've mapped weapon swap to another mouse key.

I am loving my asura guardian, spec'ed for healing and support.  I've run into a few mobs who can't individually out damage my passive healing (primarily in zones where I'm down leveled). 

I also have a silvari necro I'm playing as a petless condition focused character.   The variety of how each class can be played considering slot and trait specialization is fantastic!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 30, 2012, 06:00:45 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on August 30, 2012, 05:50:56 PM

A quick tip on dodging, map it to an unused mouse key (if you have them).  That made it a lot easier for me.  I've mapped weapon swap to another mouse key.

I am loving my asura guardian, spec'ed for healing and support.  I've run into a few mobs who can't individually out damage my passive healing (primarily in zones where I'm down leveled). 

I also have a silvari necro I'm playing as a petless condition focused character.   The variety of how each class can be played considering slot and trait specialization is fantastic!

Thats a very good idea, I have accidently hit the ~ key and swapped weapons during combat, I may as well map that to dodge, that way I dodge by accident instead,  lol

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 31, 2012, 12:39:50 AM »

I've been using this week to try and get a feel for some of the classes.  Last night I had a holy shit moment when I used my ranger's harpoon gun attack #3 for the first time, and watched as he shot out a swarm of piranha that quickly swarmed and turned the target into a bloody mess.  So much awesome in this game.  Not having to spend 1/3 to 1/2 of my game time running from point A to point B, and then back to point A is a godsend.  Of course, someone could run the whole route if they wanted to, which is cool too.   
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 31, 2012, 01:45:41 PM »

Stupid question:  I have a bunch of stuff in my inventory labeled "trophy item".  Doesn't look like these are used for crafting...do I need to hang on to them?

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 31, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 31, 2012, 01:45:41 PM

Stupid question:  I have a bunch of stuff in my inventory labeled "trophy item".  Doesn't look like these are used for crafting...do I need to hang on to them?

They are junk unless part of a heart quest. If you click the sell junk button at a merchant they will be sold. The ones that are left over from a heart quest I think will not be automatically sold - you'll have to manually sell them. I found this to be the case with the volcanic rocks in Kessex.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: August 31, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on August 31, 2012, 02:18:45 PM

They are junk unless part of a heart quest. If you click the sell junk button at a merchant they will be sold. The ones that are left over from a heart quest I think will not be automatically sold - you'll have to manually sell them. I found this to be the case with the volcanic rocks in Kessex.
before calling them junk, you might want to try salvaging them first.  You can obtain crafting material from them.  some are good, some are junk
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 31, 2012, 05:12:23 PM »

Quote from: naednek on August 31, 2012, 03:46:24 PM

Quote from: Teggy on August 31, 2012, 02:18:45 PM

before calling them junk, you might want to try salvaging them first.  You can obtain crafting material from them.  some are good, some are junk

Hm, I don't think I've seen any that are salvagable but I'll have to double check. Stuff that is salvagable is usually labeled "salvage item".

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 31, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »

I like how I can store a lot of crafting components in the collections tab of the bank.  They don't have to take up space in my main bank slots.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 31, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »

Hadn't really heard about this one until buying it due to the Forum Effect and I'm really enjoying it.

This is an awesome game for the anti-social MMO gamer.  I liked WoW but couldn't find a stable enough group to ever get together at the same time and clear the instances, so finally gave up. That, and I get lots of work calls at home, so couldn't guarantee I wouldn't have to bail in the middle of some instance.

I love the community instances (events) in GW2.  I show up at the quest point and there's a bunch of other dudes already there beating some boss and I get to jump in or help or watch or do whatever.  Since my XP is based on whatever my contribution level was, I feel like I deserve whatever I got and don't feel like I'm ripping someone off for just hanging out.  And when you get the Gold contribution level, it's awesome. 

Community's been great, random people have been cool.  Overflow servers beat the hell out of queues.  Great stuff.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 01, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »

Had a productive night last night.  Finally hit level 20 (that extra skill slot is fantastic), got 100% completion on 2 maps, wrapped up the first part of the Norn storyline, found two new green armor pieces and a green sword, and finally got around to dabbling in crafting. 

Such an awesome, awesome game.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 01, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 01, 2012, 03:03:08 PM

Had a productive night last night.  Finally hit level 20 (that extra skill slot is fantastic), got 100% completion on 2 maps, wrapped up the first part of the Norn storyline, found two new green armor pieces and a green sword, and finally got around to dabbling in crafting.  

Such an awesome, awesome game.

That is truth. I'm so into this game, yet I haven't got a toon much higher than  10. Other MMOs I have the feeling I need to level as fast as I can to get level specific items: mounts, etc.. But right off the bat in GW I don't feel the need to hurry at all.

Played all the races and the "tree people" are my favorite at this point. The attention to detail in this game is astounding at times. I'm blessed with the ability to be able to run the game at the highest settings. Pure visual bliss. At first I wasn't that blown away with the graphical style, but I get it now.

Played all the classes to the level 10 range. There is only 2 I have no desire to go higher with. Necromancer, and Ranger. For my first run to level 20 I think will be with the "Nuker", Elementalist.

I enjoy the way They have implemented the social side of things. Swtor could learn a huge lesson here.

A-   Would be my score.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:11:02 PM by Arclight » Logged

Grace: Unmerited favor.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 01, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »

I've been saying for years that I'm done with the MMO genre until someone totally breaks the formula, and the more I'm reading about GW2 it sounds like someone's finally done just that.

But now if I'm reading things right, there's no way for me to buy a downloadable version?!  It's not on Steam?!  The official site is sold out?  Of digital copies?!  Did they forget how to copy and paste instead of cut & paste files?

Is there some other way I can get this without having to buy a cardboard box?
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #742 on: September 01, 2012, 06:33:08 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 01, 2012, 06:10:34 PM

I've been saying for years that I'm done with the MMO genre until someone totally breaks the formula, and the more I'm reading about GW2 it sounds like someone's finally done just that.

But now if I'm reading things right, there's no way for me to buy a downloadable version?!  It's not on Steam?!  The official site is sold out?  Of digital copies?!  Did they forget how to copy and paste instead of cut & paste files?

This is the first game I have bought in store for a very long time. Thing was it was actually the cheapest option as well and as I already had the client it was only a matter of adding of the key.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 01, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »

They shut down digital sales because they were doing too well and was impacting the servers etc. it will go back on sale that way at some point.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 01, 2012, 07:59:44 PM »

You can buy and download it through Amazon.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 01, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »

Quote from: DonD on September 01, 2012, 07:59:44 PM

wonderpoints!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 02, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »

Now that Ive got a bit of time in GW2 I find that while my initial impressions havent changed a whole lot, the game seems to be greater than the sum of its parts.  Its not all that innovative, the quests while approached differently are still basic kill and gather quests.  Maybe Im not far enough in yet but I havent noticed any world changing events, that dont flop back to square one in a matter of minutes.  I really dont get the big difference on combat.  It still feels like most any other MMO.  Yes there are dodge skill and jump backs and yes your various powers are tied to your weapon swaps but in the end they limit your choices with a Diablo like skill set and over all I dont see a huge difference.  Now Im not saying this makes it a bad game because it isnt.  It is fun and theres a lot to do in the world, all Im saying is that it isnt the next evolution of MMO's, its still the same old, with some tweaks. 
 Its these tweaks, of course that make GW2 a fun game though, so Kudos to the team for fixing a lot of things for the better.
 Theyve busted up the holy trinity of Tank, Healer, DPS. I haven't run any group "instances" yet, so my only group experiences are events and that doest give me a real idea of how that change will effect grouping dynamics.  Hopefully its for the better.
 Theres been a lot of streamlining and one of the biggest is inventory.  Its great that you can stash your collectible crafting items, while in the field.  It really opens up bag space and helps from forcing you to go back to a bank while exploring.  Speaking of banks, the bank is shared through all of your characters and that both good and bad.  You have easy access to your crafting items but the main bank tab is miniscule and storing items becomes a problem quick, especially since the trading post is still not functional. 
 I cant comment on the trading post system because even though the game has been live over a week it still doesnt work.  Thats a huge problem and Im curious as to why such an important part of the game is not working.
 Exploration is a big plus for the game as you are constantly rewarded for going off the beaten path.  Some of the vistas and bonus skill areas can be annoying, as they are jump puzzles but so far they havent been too bad.  I do wish they would make the are completion rewards class specific.  Its kind of a bitch to spend hours getting 100% on an area only to get useless gear. 
 The crafting system seems robust but damn low level leather is tough to get your hands on, in usable quantities.  I have found leatherworking to be almost useless because I cant get enough leather to level the skill and make anything use-able for my character.
 Big thumbs up for the overflow vs queue decision.  At least you can do something while waiting to get into the world proper. 
 Overall, Ive found GW2 to be fun to play but they definitely have work to do to get this game to where it should be.  The trading post issue being fixed would help solve a lot of the the problems, I have to figure thats a top priority for them at this point.    Otherwise, the game seems fairly smooth and stable.  Its been a strong opening for GW2 , time will tell if they can keep it up.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 02, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 01, 2012, 08:08:37 PM

wonderpoints!

just saw that the regular edition download is currently unavailable on Amazon now.  hopefully you got in before that happened.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 02, 2012, 08:07:47 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on September 02, 2012, 03:37:55 PM

Theyve busted up the holy trinity of Tank, Healer, DPS.

So you don't even consider this an evolution?  I have run dungeons and done group combat and there are none of these roles so it's not just theoretical.

I was just commenting couple of nights ago in guild chat how bad Diablo 3 skill system is compared to GW2.  The trait system is a beautiful thing that lets you customize to such a degree that a class can play totally differently based on how you are traited (more so at higher levels).  Look deeper into what effects trait lines have and you will see the possibilities. 

Weapon swap is no little feature, in effect a weapon is actually a class so what you are doing is swapping class in the middle of combat.  A game like Rift lets you change class but how many games let you change class in the middle of combat?  My elementalist is a bit different, he can't swap weapons but he swaps between 4 elements.  In combat I am actually stance dancing between several different classes: dps, cc, heal, debuffer and combinations of those classes.

I am level 45 now and I continue to be amazed by the game.  Last night I ran into the tail end of an event involving a boss the likes of which I have never seen in a MMO.  Hint: think shadow of collosus but bigger smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 02, 2012, 08:12:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 02, 2012, 04:59:44 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on September 01, 2012, 08:08:37 PM

wonderpoints!

just saw that the regular edition download is currently unavailable on Amazon now.  hopefully you got in before that happened.

I did indeed!  Still piddling around the newbie area so far, but I'm really impressed with what I'm seeing.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: September 02, 2012, 11:52:18 PM »

Quote from: skystride on September 02, 2012, 08:07:47 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on September 02, 2012, 03:37:55 PM

Theyve busted up the holy trinity of Tank, Healer, DPS.

So you don't even consider this an evolution?  I have run dungeons and done group combat and there are none of these roles so it's not just theoretical.

I was just commenting couple of nights ago in guild chat how bad Diablo 3 skill system is compared to GW2.  The trait system is a beautiful thing that lets you customize to such a degree that a class can play totally differently based on how you are traited (more so at higher levels).  Look deeper into what effects trait lines have and you will see the possibilities. 

Weapon swap is no little feature, in effect a weapon is actually a class so what you are doing is swapping class in the middle of combat.  A game like Rift lets you change class but how many games let you change class in the middle of combat?  My elementalist is a bit different, he can't swap weapons but he swaps between 4 elements.  In combat I am actually stance dancing between several different classes: dps, cc, heal, debuffer and combinations of those classes.

I am level 45 now and I continue to be amazed by the game.  Last night I ran into the tail end of an event involving a boss the likes of which I have never seen in a MMO.  Hint: think shadow of collosus but bigger smile
As I stated, Ive only played basically solo pve and have no group play to go by, still I listed busting up the trinity as a plus because its a good thing to bust up that dynamic.  In PVE the game still plays much like any other MMO so no I dont feel its evolutionary.  Once I get an opportunity to play in a group instance I could change my mind but Im giving my impressions of what Ive experienced, not what others have.  For now, they may have busted up the trinity but the tank/heal/dps convention still exists, its just not locked in to individual players.  Thats more of a shift than an evolution.
 Regarding weapon swaps, Ive been playing a ranger and thats perhaps not the best class to base things on.  Ive found that I use weapon swap basically as an "oh shit" button and still spend the majority of my play with a short bow.  I dont feel particularly effect with melee weapons so I usually switch back asap.

It may seem that Im bashing the game but I am not.  Im trying to give an honest straight forward impression of what Ive experienced.  Ive in fact recommended the game to several friends and feel that they will enjoy the game play, as do I.  The game has its flaws ( seriously, what game doesnt? ) but it overcomes those flaws with several excellent tweaks.    So dont get me wrong, GW2 is a good game and has the potential to be great.  Im just not willing to gloss things over, I made that mistake with SWTOR.   icon_twisted

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 03, 2012, 03:20:04 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on September 02, 2012, 11:52:18 PM

Regarding weapon swaps, Ive been playing a ranger and thats perhaps not the best class to base things on.  Ive found that I use weapon swap basically as an "oh shit" button and still spend the majority of my play with a short bow.  I dont feel particularly effect with melee weapons so I usually switch back asap.

That's fine for PvE but you have to master weapon swap if you're going to be competitive in PvP.

You might even need to master it for PvE for the harder dungeons because they are damn hard and if you're not swapping, you're not fully utilizing your class.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 03, 2012, 04:06:00 AM »

Took a break from my other characters and started the Ranger class for the first time. Never played the Ranger on the beta so I'm a little lost on how to acquire new pets/or locations of them. Time to hit the interwebs

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 03, 2012, 04:15:04 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 03, 2012, 04:06:00 AM

Took a break from my other characters and started the Ranger class for the first time. Never played the Ranger on the beta so I'm a little lost on how to acquire new pets/or locations of them. Time to hit the interwebs
I can tell you where to get a spider  ninja
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 03, 2012, 05:12:25 AM »

Any animal name that starts with "juvenile" can be taken as a pet. Just walk up next to it and you will get a prompt to charm.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 03, 2012, 05:12:35 AM »

acquiring them is easy.  Just get near one that has "juvenile" in its name and you will get a prompt to hit "F" to charm.  Charming a pet is automatic from there.  For example, early in the Norn starter area you can charm a juvenile ice drake.  In the pet skill bar, just above the player skill bar is a tab for "pet management"  click on that once youve charmed a new pet and you can rename it.  

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 03, 2012, 06:35:43 PM »

Thanks for the help guys, and yes Forge please tell me where I can find a spider. Gives me the chills but hey, of they can snare enemies I can take having a spider pet  icon_biggrin

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 03, 2012, 07:03:34 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 03, 2012, 06:35:43 PM

Thanks for the help guys, and yes Forge please tell me where I can find a spider. Gives me the chills but hey, of they can snare enemies I can take having a spider pet  icon_biggrin

Clime Morgan's Spiral to completion in the Caledon Forrest.  At the end you get an achievement, there's a chest there, and juvenile spiders.

Also the Norn starting area has by far the most pets, go to the area with the lodges and you can get a crow, wolf, leopard, and a polar bear.   In Lions Arch is a pig and a drake hound.  I've been using the hound and spider lately, Bear is the most tanky but lacks the hard CC.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 03, 2012, 07:35:23 PM »

are you guys still on yak's bend? Might transfer one of my characters there if there is a GT guild.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 03, 2012, 09:14:45 PM »

Oh Yeah! Tonight.. I shall play!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: