http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 01:56:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)  (Read 43186 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 28, 2012, 08:19:56 AM »

There aren't any Do X things quest for you. Instead the area you go to have some quests that you can choose to do or not, as you wish.You gain xp from killing monsters obviously, but also from exploring, crafting, gathering materials and generally just wandering all over the place.

Yeah, and does feel like the saviour of MMO's to me. It does everything just right and does away with all the stupid things that most MMO's have.

Another example : When Arenanet updates the game, they don't have 4-8 hours "Maintenance" where the servers are down. No, you are notified ingame that there is a new build, and you will relog in 2 minutes! I did hear that they had the servers down for 30 minutes, but I Havent seen that myself.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:48:59 AM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 28, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »

It may be the savior of mmo's until people get tired of it and move on, just like everything else.  That being said, for me it's just about the perfect game.  The pvp and combat mechanic is fun, the stupid little mini games like keg brawl are addictingly fun, the classes are well thought out, the game rewards explorer-types, you get experience for just about anything you do, the world is extremely expansive, the personal stories are actually good, the crafting is rewarding, and there is no monthly fee.  Pretty much hits every note for me.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 28, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 28, 2012, 10:05:56 AM

It may be the savior of mmo's until people get tired of it and move on, just like everything else.  That being said, for me it's just about the perfect game.  The pvp and combat mechanic is fun, the stupid little mini games like keg brawl are addictingly fun, the classes are well thought out, the game rewards explorer-types, you get experience for just about anything you do, the world is extremely expansive, the personal stories are actually good, the crafting is rewarding, and there is no monthly fee.  Pretty much hits every note for me.

The one thing that has me worried is the end game content. Compared to other MMOs this one doesn't seem that complex in terms of importance of character build and strategy. For the most part the best strategy seems to be throw as much damage at it as you can. So I'm wondering how much long term appeal there will be. With that said my highest lvl guy is only 19, so I have no idea what the upper levels are like, I'm just speculating.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 28, 2012, 01:00:31 PM »

Since you have ten skill slots to bring to the battle only, and 5 of them are based on your current weapon loadout, and the other 5 arent, I'd say there is a LOT of customization to be done in how you mix those 10 skills.

A new one
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 28, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »

Scraper: I suppose that is a valid concern. It also leads into another big positive for me.  End game content is likely XX hours into the game. Considering how many dozens and dozens of hours one will have played to reach that (assuming the ride there is enjoyable), the fun/hrs. played/game cost is off the charts for this game.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 28, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 28, 2012, 08:19:56 AM

There aren't any Do X things quest for you. Instead the area you go to have some quests that you can choose to do or not, as you wish.You gain xp from killing monsters obviously, but also from exploring, crafting, gathering materials and generally just wandering all over the place.

Not knowing anything about GW2 coming in, this threw me for a bit.  I kept feeling like I was doing something wrong because I didn't have a big quest log full of things I was supposed to be doing.  It's a big paradigm shift from what we're used to in RPG's, but I think I like it.  The dynamic events are neat, and the "quests" feel organic rather than "bring X to Y" (even though that's what a lot of them boil down to). 

Is there a decent combat tutorial video or guide anywhere?  I've made it to level 12 by basically just spamming the attack button, but I can't help but feel like I'm really missing the boat here.  For example, I keep seeing my battle icons randomly change as I attack, but I have no idea what that means.  Something to do with combos, I think, but I haven't found anything yet that really explains it well.  TIA.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 28, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 28, 2012, 01:42:14 PM

Quote from: Razgon on August 28, 2012, 08:19:56 AM

Not knowing anything about GW2 coming in, this threw me for a bit.  I kept feeling like I was doing something wrong because I didn't have a big quest log full of things I was supposed to be doing.  It's a big paradigm shift from what we're used to in RPG's, but I think I like it.  The dynamic events are neat, and the "quests" feel organic rather than "bring X to Y" (even though that's what a lot of them boil down to). 

Is there a decent combat tutorial video or guide anywhere?  I've made it to level 12 by basically just spamming the attack button, but I can't help but feel like I'm really missing the boat here.  For example, I keep seeing my battle icons randomly change as I attack, but I have no idea what that means.  Something to do with combos, I think, but I haven't found anything yet that really explains it well.  TIA.

Let's be honest... GW2 didn't get rid of kill X, or collect X quests...they just don't call them quests, they call them events.  That said, I am enjoying it so far.

As for the icons that are changing, I know the "autoattack" skill on the Guardian is a series of 3 different attacks that follow one another, all through that one skill, so each hit the icon changes, or for example on my elementalist, if I am attuned to earth I have a skill to surround myself with these floating rocks, and then the icon changes to let me throw the stones out at the enemy with the same hotkey.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 28, 2012, 04:52:48 PM »

Quote from: skystride on August 27, 2012, 07:08:52 PM

Too busy playing to make longer posts than this but yeah, game is awesome! smile
Agreed.  Awesome mmo experience.  They've addressed most of the things that bugged me about previous mmorpgs.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 28, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »

Think "chain" attacks Gratch. Starting with the lowest each hit gets you to the next attack unless interrupted, then its back to the first hit again. Make sure you're putting points into your skills then adding any new one you aquire on your hot bar. Once on the hot bar you'll see a little white triangle at the top of the skill icon. click it to reveal what skills you can put in the same slot just by clicking on them in the window that just opened up.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 28, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »

I got this based on the forum effect and to be honest I just dont get the enthusiasm.  The quests are still mundane kill quests. Just because they simply pop up instead of having to get them from a NPC doesnt change a thing in my eyes.  In fact they can be slightly more annoying as they continuously pop up.  Combat seems very WoWish, the world seems very WoWish and the action seems very Wowish.  Its still early and I havent progressed beyond level 6 but Im really not seeming any real difference between this and every other mmo.  Sure theres some minor tweaks and differences but over all, its the same old thing.  I dont doubt that I will get my monies worth out of this game but I seriously hope that it improves down the road because right now its just another WoW clone

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: August 28, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on August 28, 2012, 05:30:18 PM

I got this based on the forum effect and to be honest I just dont get the enthusiasm.  The quests are still mundane kill quests. Just because they simply pop up instead of having to get them from a NPC doesnt change a thing in my eyes.  In fact they can be slightly more annoying as they continuously pop up.  Combat seems very WoWish, the world seems very WoWish and the action seems very Wowish.  Its still early and I havent progressed beyond level 6 but Im really not seeming any real difference between this and every other mmo.  Sure theres some minor tweaks and differences but over all, its the same old thing.  I dont doubt that I will get my monies worth out of this game but I seriously hope that it improves down the road because right now its just another WoW clone

Posts like this make me glad I never played WoW.  slywink

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 28, 2012, 07:16:51 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on August 28, 2012, 05:30:18 PM

Really, combat is WoWish?  I don't find it so.  I really despise WoW, tried to play it several times but just couldn't get into it.  So if this game was exactly like WoW, why am I having so much fun?

There are kill quests, they are optional.  Combat is active unlike WoW.  You can dodge attacks and there are a lot of aimed shots (depending on class).  There is still tab-targeting so it's not quiet Tera but still better that more traditional MMO combat.

This game is not about the end-game combat (also unlike WoW).  Once you are level 80, you still have access to every content in the game because the game scales you down.  For example, I hit level 20+ but I went to a level 1-15 area and had a fun time clearing it.  I even got killed by level 5 mobs.  Scaling your level down means combat stays interesting throughout the game.  The only downside is that loot is not awesome when you go to a low level area (unless you are a crafter).  But xp gain is still decent.

There is better exploration than WoW.  I don't think I ever found a cool secret area in WoW.  WvWvW is a unique experience.  Structured PvP should be a lot of fun, I only tried it in beta.  There are just so many things to do in the game.  I think people will find different things to like about the game.  I could see myself playing this for a really long time particularly the way ArenaNet is known to push out great content through expansions.

I think they pretty much hit their intended design goal to make a MMO that is different.  It's so awesome that in this MMO, I love it when some guys shows up to help me because I don't lose out on xp or loot when they do.  It's a little thing, but I really think it adds to the community.  I haven't run into any asshats yet, instead there are tons of people helping each other out and reviving people.  Several strangers have even died trying to revive me.  How nice is that?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 28, 2012, 08:01:16 PM »

I dont' see anything wowish about GW2 other than the fact that it has swords and graphics
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 28, 2012, 08:29:19 PM »

So far just another fantasy themed MMO they are all very, very similar. What sets is apart in my mind is the no monthly fee, huge selling point hopefully other MMO's take notice of this and start to realize that they have serious competition now.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 28, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on August 27, 2012, 06:25:56 PM

PvE Gameplay:
What is revolutionary is what the quests do to the community. Because there's no kill-stealing, node-stealing or XP loss for group kills, the community instinctively works together. In any other game, if you die, you might as well resurrect at the spawn point because people will just step over your body to get to the next mob. Here, people will take the time to resurrect you because you can help them as soon as you're up. It's an awesome dynamic and the game feels like it has the old EQ or start-of-WoW kind of community - cooperative, not competitive. There were only a couple of quests that I did where I felt I was competing against others.

This is only one of the core innovations they've put into the game, but it's a big one.  It's a complete paradigm shift from WoW and puts the M back in MMO, because players finally have reasons to naturally help each other and play together.  No more mob/resource camping and trying to get the first hit in to claim credit.  Even knowing the system and played in alpha/beta, I was still surprised the first time I came to a skill challenge and was able to complete it and be given credit even though multiple strangers were jumping in to help me.  So just as was done for me, I stayed a couple more minutes and helped the next guy through it.  Imagine that!

As to rshetts2 comment, the quests are not just "pop up," they are part of an extensive AI system working in the background.  Some of it is obvious and some of it isn't, but if the community does not continue to push back certain factions by completing the events, they will come and take over more and more of the land.  And because of another core innovation (the content-based level equalizing system), even if you are lvl 50 you can go back to lvl 10 areas and push factions back and get decent amounts of xp for doing so.  You'll also be given a challenge because you will effectively level down to be appropriate for the content, though hopefully your own skills and gear will make it an easier encounter.

Go back and read the dev diaries, they have seriously looked at as many of the flaws they found in WoW and other clones and took a fresh yet similar approach to each.  And with no monthly fee, it's nothing short of an MMORPG revolution.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 28, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 28, 2012, 08:01:16 PM

I dont' see anything wowish about GW2 other than the fact that it has swords and graphics

Indeed- If you are playing this like you play wow, ie. standing still and pressing a button, you are doing it wrong.

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 28, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »

Although I'm still in gaming sabbatical/funk/depression mode (at least until the XCOM game in October), I am enjoying reading all the feedback here. So keep it up, good or bad.  icon_smile

I think after really playing STO, SWTOR and Diablo 3 betas to a bloody pulp and then seeing my interest fade far more rapidly after launch than I expected, I decided with GW2 I'd stay out of it and just really read feedback during and after launch.

I never got into WoW so the WoW comparisons don't per se phase me. For that matter I tried GW but never got into it much either. So maybe GW2 isn't the game for me. Or maybe, it's exactly the right game for me. Or Juggling!... that's why I want to keep reading the feedback... for now.  icon_smile Carry on!

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 29, 2012, 03:02:21 AM »

yay, just got 2 password reset request emails from ArenaNet for this and it definitely wasn't done by me (I don't even have the game but damn if the impressions aren't pushing me back towards the edge).  time to change the email on my account methinks....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:04:30 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 29, 2012, 03:05:01 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 29, 2012, 03:02:21 AM

yay, just got 2 password reset request emails for this and it definitely wasn't done by me (I don't even have the game but damn if the impressions aren't pushing me back towards the edge).  time to change the email on my account methinks....

Same, just got the email about 5 minutes ago. Changed password and email just to be safe

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 29, 2012, 03:08:41 AM »

mine were both sent at 10:15pm.  I figured I might check the forums to see if there may have been a glitch in their systems, but alas:

Forums Closed

Forums Closed

The forums are closed at this time. We will open the forums as soon as we are able. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this causes.

If you are experiencing game-related technical problems, you can keep an eye on https://twitter.com/GuildWars2 for messaging related to these issues. If you are experiencing account problems, you may contact Customer Support: http://en.support.guildwars2.com/.

Thank you for your understanding.

3 days ago

launch day and no forums?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 29, 2012, 03:14:31 AM »

Ok since people seem to want to assault my opinions, Ill try to clarify.  Im sure the people raving about this game will assault me once again but Im just putting out my honest impressions of the game.  First off be aware that this is based on limited game play and I didnt play in the beta.
  Regarding the graphics, perhaps its due to my choices ( A Nord Hunter ) but I literally laughed out loud when I saw my character.  Give the guy some horns and he would look just like a Tauren in WoW.  The area Ive been playing was a generic northern forest and frankly while it didnt have quite the cartoonish WoW look, it wasnt any better.  The style may be a bit different but what Ive seen so far was not impressive.
 Regarding combat, once again, perhaps my class choice effect this but it seemed all I did was have my bear hold aggro while I arrowed away at the mobs.  Someone wrote earlier that If it was like WoW then I was doing it wrong?   Well, through 7 levels, I never died once and handled level 5 mobs at level 3 with ease.  If Im "doing it wrong" then the game mechanics are seriously flawed because I should have died multiple times if that were the case.
 Exploration so far has been a joke, the game has felt like its on rails.  Of course its early levels so Im not surprised.  I have hopes that it will be far more entertaining once I progress.
Understand, once again, that Ive only played through level 7 so Im sure I have only scratched the surface of the game and Im sure many of you have progressed much farther than I both in regular game play as well as beta.  My opinions are just that, opinions based on my experience so far.  The game may prove to be fantastic on down the road but for now I am underwhelmed.  

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 29, 2012, 06:22:22 AM »

When you are using words like "A joke" and people are "assaulting" your opinions, I'm guessing you don't want a conversation about it, so I'll just leave it at I'm sorry you don't enjoy the game. Personally, after trying every single MMO out there of a certain size, this is the finest honing of the genre that I've seen yet.

Anyways - I still cant decide what class to play...the 5 slot limit is pretty hard on us with Altholics. So far I'm enjoying my hunter a lot (Lvl 15) and my guardian, even though I swore him off at the beginning (A warrior using a wand? Utter Nonsense!). I havent tried any of the three caster classes yet, but after reading about the Mesmer being able to wield both pistols and two-handed swords, I'm sorely tempted to try those out as well!

Like Hark mentioned earlier I also tried out a thief to lvl 10, but had trouble in my personal stories, so I'm thinking they are a bit too squishy for my playstyle.

A new one
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 29, 2012, 06:30:36 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on August 29, 2012, 03:14:31 AM

Ok since people seem to want to assault my opinions, Ill try to clarify.  Im sure the people raving about this game will assault me once again but Im just putting out my honest impressions of the game.  First off be aware that this is based on limited game play and I didnt play in the beta.
  Regarding the graphics, perhaps its due to my choices ( A Nord Hunter ) but I literally laughed out loud when I saw my character.  Give the guy some horns and he would look just like a Tauren in WoW.  The area Ive been playing was a generic northern forest and frankly while it didnt have quite the cartoonish WoW look, it wasnt any better.  The style may be a bit different but what Ive seen so far was not impressive.
 Regarding combat, once again, perhaps my class choice effect this but it seemed all I did was have my bear hold aggro while I arrowed away at the mobs.  Someone wrote earlier that If it was like WoW then I was doing it wrong?   Well, through 7 levels, I never died once and handled level 5 mobs at level 3 with ease.  If Im "doing it wrong" then the game mechanics are seriously flawed because I should have died multiple times if that were the case.
 Exploration so far has been a joke, the game has felt like its on rails.  Of course its early levels so Im not surprised.  I have hopes that it will be far more entertaining once I progress.
Understand, once again, that Ive only played through level 7 so Im sure I have only scratched the surface of the game and Im sure many of you have progressed much farther than I both in regular game play as well as beta.  My opinions are just that, opinions based on my experience so far.  The game may prove to be fantastic on down the road but for now I am underwhelmed.  

I'm going to go backwards through your email:  The lower level zones feel more like they are on rails partly because they are smaller than the 10+ areas, where the zones open up.  You don't have to follow that path in front of you, just head any direction you want to go.  The path may take you through the areas that are most level appropriate though.  As far as exploration, I'm not sure what you are expecting.  The game rewards poking around into the nooks & crannies.  There are hidden tunnels, shortcuts across what seem like impassable mountains, water tunnels, water features & combat, hidden grottoes etc...   As you poke around you'll find new vistas (which are pointed out to you) and puzzles (which aren't).  I've found and completed the jumping puzzles for several zones, and they vary from sadistic jumpers to clue driven mazes. You wont' find them if you don't explore.  So if you think this is a game you can just walk down the path and you're seeing everything there is to see - you are missing a LOT of the game.

The graphics style is what it is, you like it or not.  The quality of the graphics are phenomenal, well beyond anything wow has out. Do an image search on Google, look at some of the you tube videos. Still, this is  really a personal item, so either you like it or not.  Try some of the other races. That said, overall the graphics are unique to the game. There are some similarities to wow, however in general those are areas wow copied to begin with (especially the norn area; it isn't like WoW invented norse themes). 

As far as combat goes, you can't be telling us that you expect level 7 combat to be the end-all be-all of fleshed out character development? Yes it is easy, they are letting you learn your class. Most classes don't even have all of their skills unlocked at that point.  Jump into PVP or WvWvW if you want to see how much strategy there is.  Or fight a boss - you start encountering them at level 3, have a group with you as you pet won't be tanking it for you while you plink it to death.  My first boss fight was were I learned the value of dodging. Then again, I favor melee which forces you to learn mobility & dodging.  You can sit back and strafe, and yes you are correct, the game is easier that way, just not as fun.   Most classes do less damage the farther away they can attack (even the elementalist).

Watch some strategy you tubes for pvp and combat.  There is a lot of counter balancing - if you build all for burst melee damage, somebody else will take you down with stuns roots and take you down from range or using interrupts to stop your big windups. If you attack from range, others can use range closers and lock you down.  At this point you switch weapons to something more appropriate, fire off a utility to break roots or stuns.  If you are a conditions based build, you want to use various skills to put as many on, or strip them from group mates giving you boons, etc...   There is a lot of variety in combat.  You can have access to all of your base skills by level 10, and have a great selection of utilities by level 20, and at least 1 elite by 30.  However if you are going to complain that at level 7, the entire game is a wow clone with poorly thought out combat, you won't get a heck of a lot of sympathy for your lack of effort to explore how the game works.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 29, 2012, 06:33:51 AM »

Very eloquently put, Wargus! Thank you!

A new one
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 29, 2012, 01:42:03 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on August 29, 2012, 06:30:36 AM

Quote from: rshetts2 on August 29, 2012, 03:14:31 AM

I'm going to go backwards through your email:  The lower level zones feel more like they are on rails partly because they are smaller than the 10+ areas, where the zones open up.  You don't have to follow that path in front of you, just head any direction you want to go.  The path may take you through the areas that are most level appropriate though.  As far as exploration, I'm not sure what you are expecting.  The game rewards poking around into the nooks & crannies.  There are hidden tunnels, shortcuts across what seem like impassable mountains, water tunnels, water features & combat, hidden grottoes etc...   As you poke around you'll find new vistas (which are pointed out to you) and puzzles (which aren't).  I've found and completed the jumping puzzles for several zones, and they vary from sadistic jumpers to clue driven mazes. You wont' find them if you don't explore.  So if you think this is a game you can just walk down the path and you're seeing everything there is to see - you are missing a LOT of the game.

The graphics style is what it is, you like it or not.  The quality of the graphics are phenomenal, well beyond anything wow has out. Do an image search on Google, look at some of the you tube videos. Still, this is  really a personal item, so either you like it or not.  Try some of the other races. That said, overall the graphics are unique to the game. There are some similarities to wow, however in general those are areas wow copied to begin with (especially the norn area; it isn't like WoW invented norse themes). 

As far as combat goes, you can't be telling us that you expect level 7 combat to be the end-all be-all of fleshed out character development? Yes it is easy, they are letting you learn your class. Most classes don't even have all of their skills unlocked at that point.  Jump into PVP or WvWvW if you want to see how much strategy there is.  Or fight a boss - you start encountering them at level 3, have a group with you as you pet won't be tanking it for you while you plink it to death.  My first boss fight was were I learned the value of dodging. Then again, I favor melee which forces you to learn mobility & dodging.  You can sit back and strafe, and yes you are correct, the game is easier that way, just not as fun.   Most classes do less damage the farther away they can attack (even the elementalist).

Watch some strategy you tubes for pvp and combat.  There is a lot of counter balancing - if you build all for burst melee damage, somebody else will take you down with stuns roots and take you down from range or using interrupts to stop your big windups. If you attack from range, others can use range closers and lock you down.  At this point you switch weapons to something more appropriate, fire off a utility to break roots or stuns.  If you are a conditions based build, you want to use various skills to put as many on, or strip them from group mates giving you boons, etc...   There is a lot of variety in combat.  You can have access to all of your base skills by level 10, and have a great selection of utilities by level 20, and at least 1 elite by 30.  However if you are going to complain that at level 7, the entire game is a wow clone with poorly thought out combat, you won't get a heck of a lot of sympathy for your lack of effort to explore how the game works.

Thank you Wargus, thats the kind of response I was looking for. Instead of telling me my opinion is wrong, you took the time to explain what I have to look forwards to.  Regarding your last statement though, Im not complaining, I was pointing out concerns based on limited game play.  I have not taken a shot at anyone regarding their opinions on the game and I have no intentions to.   Im glad that theres people out there raving about GW2 but I do feel that honest discourse regarding the game is important, even if the opinions are not all sunshine and golden puppies.  Your post points out that while the game may start out somewhat generic, it evolves into something more.  Thats far more helpful for me and others who may see the same old thing all over again, than saying "OMG< this game is awesome!!11!!11, youre wrong!"

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: August 29, 2012, 02:02:36 PM »

I think Exploration is actually one of GW2s strong points. Unlike most MMOs if you see something in the game chances are you can somehow climb to the top of it. All of the buildings have things attached to them that let you climb them, hills and mountains all have some sneaky way to get to the top. Most MMOs that I have played allow you to jump, but they will place invisible walls that prevent you from jumping on things. In GW2 if you can jump high enough or far enough then you can land on something, there is no invisible wall.

Highlighting this are all of the scenic view points sprinkled throughout each level. Go ahead and find all of them in the starter area and then tell me if you think the exploration is lacking.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 29, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »

The neat thing about exploration is that not everything is marked (like the Vistas).  You can even find mini dungeons if you go out of the way.  Some of them are extremely well hidden.

I've been doing a lot of WvWvW.  The experience is actually pretty good if you are taking objectives or successfully repelling attackers.  Lots of nice loot drops too but it's a bit random so it can be difficult to get the item your class needs.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 29, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »

Great impressions, Blackadar! It's killing me not to be able to play this at launch. I did find a place to play with, but ironically, I will have to pay to play it. Will be spending some quality time with GW2 this weekend.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #708 on: August 29, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »

The pets aren't tanks like in wow. You use them as buffs especially in the early levels. Only later on can you choose the correct pets and skills to have them tank.

I am away until Saturday and didn't do any of the beta stuff, stayed away from all the guff but I have read up a bit on ways to play and early information on what to do and not to do.

Might be worth a look. One of the RPS crowd did a piece on choosing the correct toon and it's worth a read IMO.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 29, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »

some images from my travels

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 29, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »

Saw the dragon tails

NiM$
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: August 29, 2012, 05:40:34 PM »

the look inside the cavern

NiM$
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: August 29, 2012, 06:33:14 PM »

Are those F2, F3, F4 skills profession-specific, or do you get those once you hit a level threshold?  I've only got an F1 skill (lvl 13 Nord Warrior).

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 29, 2012, 06:39:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 29, 2012, 06:33:14 PM

Are those F2, F3, F4 skills profession-specific, or do you get those once you hit a level threshold?  I've only got an F1 skill (lvl 13 Nord Warrior).

Class specific.  Looks like he's an Engineer.  I also get F1 to F4 as an Elementalist.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #714 on: August 29, 2012, 06:42:10 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on August 29, 2012, 04:18:59 PM

Might be worth a look. One of the RPS crowd did a piece on choosing the correct toon and it's worth a read IMO.

Have a link? I'm curious what would fit me best. Curse you 20% off GreenManGaming link!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 29, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »

rshetts2-

Sorry if I came off as rude.  I'd say play until you unlock all of your weapons (unles you absolutely dislike a core class mechanic, like pets). You should have enough money to buy a full set of weapons by level 7 from a vendor.  Look at your skill list (hit 'H', select skills) to see what you can equip.

Try out other races and classes, I hated the first class I played (guardian), however played to 10 on most classes.  I found that after I got over the games learning curve that I really liked the guardian when I went back to it.  I have that character slotted out as a utility healer and am very tough to kill.  My damage lags of course, but is still respectable. 

Wander the zones,  look for the paired empty red triangles on your map, those are vistas. Some are quite challenging to get too.  Clear entire zones, if you tag all vistas, waypoints, and points of interest you get rewards (money, experience, and gear). 

Lookup GW2 jumping puzzles in you tube, watch some PVP videos,  I think you'll be impressed.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 29, 2012, 07:25:45 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 29, 2012, 06:33:14 PM

Those a tool belt skills and change depending one which skills I have in the 6-9.

NiM$
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #717 on: August 29, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 29, 2012, 06:42:10 PM

Quote from: Reemul on August 29, 2012, 04:18:59 PM

Have a link? I'm curious what would fit me best. Curse you 20% off GreenManGaming link!

Apologies it was on eurogamer here is the link

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-29-guild-wars-2-the-five-races

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 29, 2012, 08:07:13 PM »

I experienced some great siege battle last night even though I was on the losing side.  About 40 of us were defending a keep out of any supply line.  The attackers had about 40 people as well but they seemed to have more supply than us.  They tried setting up rams but were thwarted both times.  It's just so easy to destroy rams from the wall.  After that they started setting up ballistas and catapults.  I think there were about 4-6 of them.  We probably should have sallied forth at this point but weren't co-ordinated enough to do that.  Those siege just decimated everyone on the walls.  The attackers were able to easily take down the gate after that without any rams.  I've never seen siege warfare work so well in a game and I've played a lot of DAOC, Warhammer, etc.

I can't wait to see some epic fights when trebuchets and war golems start showing up.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 29, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 29, 2012, 03:08:41 AM

mine were both sent at 10:15pm.  I figured I might check the forums to see if there may have been a glitch in their systems, but alas:

Forums Closed

Forums Closed

The forums are closed at this time. We will open the forums as soon as we are able. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this causes.

If you are experiencing game-related technical problems, you can keep an eye on https://twitter.com/GuildWars2 for messaging related to these issues. If you are experiencing account problems, you may contact Customer Support: http://en.support.guildwars2.com/.

Thank you for your understanding.

3 days ago

launch day and no forums?

cause they are using reddit

NiM$
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: