http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 04:53:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)  (Read 41379 times)
Booner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 11, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »

Well, once again I barely got into any other activities other than GW2 over the weekend. I went a bit more in-depth with a couple of the classes that I'd neglected in the 1st BWE, all fun enough, but the Mesmer has become a must-roll for me. thumbsup

I normally dislike playing caster classes, but this is a fun class that seems like it will take some time to master. The whole mechanic of using multiple clones to produce damage or induce conditions on the enemy is really interesting to me.

I found that a sword/torch weapon set is very much to my liking. One of my favorite moves was to use a skill that produced a clone that would quickly close with your target and leave you the option to swap places with it, pop a skill called "The Prestige" that would stealth you for 3 seconds, then reappear with an AOE/DOT fire blast (great skill name smile)...yep, swap with the first clone before you reappear, exploding back onto your target before letting loose an additional skill that was a flurry of sword swings that leave you invulnerable during it's channel. Shatter a clone to daze the target and you can get out while summoning another...the joy on casting on the move.

There are some other unusual skills in their bag of tricks. Like placing a dome over an enemy where and ranged attacks are deflected back at them, creating a wall that will stealth your allies if they pass through it, or creating a portal on you that will teleport your allies to another portal location placed by you.

I found the Mesmer to be great in pvp. With the clones/phantasms, being able to swap positions with certain ones, teleports, stealths, etc., you can really keep the opponent off-balance if they aren't paying attention to where the real you is at. It's not all that powerful in terms of health or damage, but can sure make a mess of things and allow your teammates to work.

So it seems like I'll definitely be playing a warrior, a thief, and a mesmer....but which one is to be the first at release.

Overall a good experience over this weekend. Throughout all the time I spent playing, I only ran across one bug where an caravan event was stalled just outside a town. Performance was improved a good deal, sure it needs more optimization and a bit more balance, but it's on the right track. I'm really hoping release isn't too too far ahead as I think I'll be mostly sitting out any future BWEs, I'll log in long enough to check performance things or any major changes, but not spending the whole damn weekend playing. :p

One thing that has surprised me is how polarizing the gameplay is amongst my friends who are typically MMO junkies. Out of the 4 that I regularly play with, I'm the only one who really digs it...they don't have any particular reason for their ho-hum attitude towards it, but it's just not gripping them. Looks like I'll be guild hunting...
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 11, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »

I'd have to be with your mates Booner. I can put my finger on a few things, but ordinarily they wouldn't be enough to mention. But the one big thing I look for in a MMO, at least for the first few months is immersion, and atmosphere. I think GW2 suffers in both these areas.
Its too sand-boxy for my liking. Just loads of players running all over the map looking for the, "you have entered an event about to start" or following empty hearts on your map.
I can see how it would be the cats pajamas for some.
But like I said previously, you never know what a little more time in the oven will produce. It might just be that I need to play for a while and "learn" to like GW2's way of doing things.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 11, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on June 11, 2012, 04:10:00 PM

But the one big thing I look for in a MMO, at least for the first few months is immersion, and atmosphere. I think GW2 suffers in both these areas.
Its too sand-boxy for my liking.

The combat mechanics are what really grab me, but I absolutely understand the concerns on atmosphere as I felt the same way during the first BWE. That said, I found there is a good bit of atmosphere with politics, NPC interactions, factions and whatnots that go into giving a world life....but it is very much a sandbox and you have to 'find it' because it's in no way obvious. It's somewhat similar to ES games where you have to talk with or follow NPCs on the chance something interesting may happen.

I'm not trying to say "you don't get it" (because I hate that phrase with a passion), just saying there is more world depth than appears on the surface.

The scouts will give you some info on the area geography and it's background, but there is more to been seen than their 20 second rundown.

A good example of this was in the Kessex Hills over the weekend, an area where the humans are battling the centaurs, where I was approaching a human settlement and saw an unusual looking non-targetable centaur walking into the city. I just followed them in and watched as it introduced itself to the towns sheriff as an emissary and proceeded to discuss the situation...during this, a local citizen interrupted and started blasting the sheriff for dealing with them and threatening the emissary. Nothing came of this in the way of XP or anything, but it did give me some insight on what's happening in the world and what my purpose in it was past the personal story.

I would like to know if the world drama ramps up and becomes a bit more obvious as you get into the upper levels, without it I'm not sure it will have the lasting appeal for a vast number of players.

As an offshoot of the way it's all set up, I may look to choose a lower population world at release to avoid the zerg mentality I saw on the high-pop worlds. I did a bunch of server bouncing the first two days to find balanced WvWvW matchups and found the lower pop worlds to be much more enjoyable in PvE. I likely be spending a good bit of time doing both WvW and PvE so I hope the matchup system gets straightened out so that I'll be able to enjoy PVE in smaller groups (where the game shines imo) and WvW where one world isn't steamrolling the others.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 11, 2012, 05:05:42 PM »

I think the biggest barrier for people like me who are into PVE is the nature of the branching events. For example, take the event near the mines in the 15-25 area:

A bunch of guys come in and take over the mines. Players come in and destroy their tunnels. Bad guys go away.

A little while later, the bad guys come back. Players come in and destroy their tunnels. Bad guys go away.

Maybe something more interesting happens if you don't take the mines back, but how are you ever going to get to that content if people keep succeeding the event?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 11, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »

Teggy, that's part of the reason I found the low-pop worlds to be a better experience....a chance of failure. It didn't happen much more often, but it did occasionally happen.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 11, 2012, 06:17:53 PM »

I think the world is quiet immersive in terms of attention to detail of the cities and environment.  There are things like the planetarium, giant aquarium and other stuff that adds a lot of flavour.  You don't have to follow the zerg chasing one event after another.  I found an out of the way place where there were kids playing.  Followed them around to see a mini story unfold which was quiet entertaining.  Hopefully there are more stuff like that to reward people who like to explore.

The only thing that bothers me is that the characters still feel a bit floaty.  So it feels like I am driving my character.  I really wish there was a playable first person view but I've been asking for that ever since EQ1.  I don't think I've ever felt as immersed in a MMO world as EQ1 and it probably has a lot to do with the view.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 11, 2012, 06:33:44 PM »

Floaty was a problem in Guild Wars and it hasn't gone away in GW2. I always attributed it to the game engine itself, but what do I know? I can relate to having friends that aren't digging the game as well. In fact, they dont like it at all. Personally, if I only played the early content I may agree. But I think the game gets substantially better as the enemies get tougher and smarter, which doesn't happen for a while.  PvP being another strength of the game for the same reason imo - fewer skills than most mmo's with much more intricate combat based on how those skills tie together.  I noticed this particularly with Thief - where weapon choice can really change things up.  I'm convinced my friends just aren't giving the game enough time.  Immersion I can't really speak to, but if its not popping your toaster, then it's just not.  I get that.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 11, 2012, 06:39:43 PM »

I played DAOC in first person view most of the time  ninja
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 11, 2012, 06:50:14 PM »

It is interesting for me, that during the first BWE, I had an enjoyable experience, but I just wasn't sold 100%.  This past weekend, I played a human Guardian, and the human areas were just so much more interesting than the Norn.  I am still having issues with getting BSODs when playing Guild Wars 2, but hoping it is just due to the current state of the beta.

Overall, I am much more pleased with the game, and glad that I prepurchased after this past BWE.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 11, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »

I would check your memory if you're getting BSOD.  I played the last two betas on 4 PC's of varying ages and power levels and they were all rock solid except for a launcher issue on one system during BWE2 which was a known issue.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: June 11, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 11, 2012, 06:39:43 PM

I played DAOC in first person view most of the time  ninja

Yeah me too. One of the few times I have in a MMO.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 11, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 11, 2012, 07:28:00 PM

I would check your memory if you're getting BSOD.  I played the last two betas on 4 PC's of varying ages and power levels and they were all rock solid except for a launcher issue on one system during BWE2 which was a known issue.

Yeah I ran memtest through 5 passes with no issues.  I can play hours of Skyrim, Diablo 3, Civ 5, etc with no issues.  One of the posters over on OO posted very similiar issues, who has the same exact video card.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 12, 2012, 12:26:21 AM »

The characters feel "floaty" because they are smile  In numerous locations I noticed my character's feet were 1-2 inches above the ground.  It's really pronounced on hills and steps.  Hopefully something they fix before launch.  Still can't wait.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 12, 2012, 01:01:44 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 11, 2012, 08:56:24 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on June 11, 2012, 07:28:00 PM

Yeah I ran memtest through 5 passes with no issues.  I can play hours of Skyrim, Diablo 3, Civ 5, etc with no issues.  One of the posters over on OO posted very similiar issues, who has the same exact video card.

I've been in both beta weekend events and I finally got a BSOD this past weekend.  It only happened once, but it sounded like my laptop was about to explode.  I have Radeon Mobility cards in Crossfire.

So far I'm liking the game, although I'm curious to see how they further develop the cutscenes.  I've been a bit spoiled in that department with SWTOR.

I'm also curious about class balance.  At the moment, certain class/weapon combinations seem very OP compared to others.  I gave significant time to an Engineer this weekend, and felt fairly underpowered compared to both a Ranger and Greatsword wielding Warrior I played the last time.

Anyway, I tried to stay online through the mass beta ending world event, but eventually got booted and couldn't get back in.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 17, 2012, 05:23:15 AM »

Pretty good time lapse video of GW2
http://youtu.be/vpBzLzZyaSQ
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 17, 2012, 06:20:59 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 17, 2012, 05:23:15 AM

Pretty good time lapse video of GW2
http://youtu.be/vpBzLzZyaSQ

Wow! Very impressive!
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 22, 2012, 05:24:44 AM »

Another stress test on Wednesday:

http://www.arena.net/blog/help-us-stress-our-servers-on-june-27
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 27, 2012, 02:03:24 PM »

Just a reminder that the stress test is today.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 27, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »

Just a reminder that the stress test is today.

And Im home, unemployed. Weeeeeeee!  icon_razz
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 27, 2012, 05:01:59 PM »

And the server is up, folks! One hour ahead of schedule, I think.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 27, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »

Server was just brought down at 6pm eastern on the dot. Got to play for the entirety. I did a little bit of WvW with a couple of Wanderers. Then, put in a couple of levels on my Charr Guardian. Lastly, there was an event where a large invasion of 'Branded' took over the Plains Of Ashford. If you were killed by the invaders, you came back to life and played as a 'transformed invader'. It was a lot of fun. The event was still going when the server went down. We couldn't kill Rytlock (It was kinda pointless, actually. He's a level 80 Hero and no one was doing any damage, but it was fun killing humans and transforming them). This game needs to come out already!!!
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 28, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »

Yeah we had some fun PR_GMR.  I especially liked the part where you, me, and Toxo got one shotted by that Legendary Guard.   Tongue

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 28, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »

Guild Wars 2 will officially launch on Tuesday, August 28th.

This is an incredibly momentous day for the studio and for me personally. This journey began in 2007 when we first announced that we were beginning work on Guild Wars 2 and that you wouldn’t be hearing from us for a while. Then in 2010 we unveiled our manifesto for Guild Wars 2: a living breathing online world that challenges convention, that’s designed for fun instead of grind, and that brings social interaction to a new level in an online world.
Through all the long hours and hard decisions, we were bolstered by the knowledge that we were not in this alone. All along you’ve been there for us, cheering us on, supporting us when we needed it, testing early versions of the game, and above all, giving us your honest feedback every step of the way. Guild Wars 2 is a better game for all of the work that our community has put in.

Now that we’re just two months away from launch, we’ll spend our remaining time optimizing, polishing, and balancing the game, to ensure that we provide you with the best launch-day experience we possibly can.
To this end, I’m excited to announce that our next and final Beta Weekend Event is planned for July 20-22.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 28, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »

(PR points at Teggy's post above, but then presses a big red button... red velvet drapes open and a large neon sign flashes:)

Tuesday, August 28th!!!
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 28, 2012, 02:52:23 PM »

SWEET MERCIFUL AWESOME!!!
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: June 28, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »

or August 25th, for the cool kids  ninja
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 28, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »

Yar, just got my email.

The day after classes start.  My students will suffer!

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 09, 2012, 02:14:46 PM »

ArenaNet just tweeted that the Asura and Sylvari races will be playable on the final Beta Weekend. Veddy cool!!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 09, 2012, 03:16:22 PM »

Ha! Thats great! My asura thief will be short, stubby, ugly, and a pita to any who are not asura. Die, die, die!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 12, 2012, 12:36:23 AM »

If you guys aren't aware, Gamespot did a preview of the Asura starting area.  Video is a bit over an hour long. 
Here's a link if you're interested and don't want to go searching for it.

Link

LD

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 12, 2012, 01:16:37 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on July 09, 2012, 03:16:22 PM

Ha! Thats great! My asura thief will be short, stubby, ugly, and a pita to any who are not asura. Die, die, die!

what kind of an idiot plays a thief?  ninja
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 19, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »

Reminder - Beta Weekend starts tomorrow on the 20th.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 20, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »

Which server will everyone be playing on?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 20, 2012, 02:42:05 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on July 20, 2012, 01:25:59 PM

Which server will everyone be playing on?

Forgot the name of the server I'm on.  If the Asura are available for selection that's where you'll find me

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 20, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »

Anyone know what time the BE is supposed to open up?

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 20, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

3PM eastern US time.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 20, 2012, 04:49:13 PM »

Coolio. Ill be on for a bit after work and wouldnt mind hooking up.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 20, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »

I am on same server as Soul and will be trying out both new races
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 20, 2012, 06:03:18 PM »

Servers are up, everything is wiped, so nobody is on any server.  Do I just pick one or have you guys already started?  I will wait 30 seconds  ninja
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 20, 2012, 06:03:57 PM »

Yak's Bend it is for me!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: