http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:51:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)  (Read 41520 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 30, 2012, 04:27:57 PM »

If you like Engineer and like support, I can strongly recommend the Elixir Gun and appropriate traits.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 30, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 30, 2012, 04:27:57 PM

If you like Engineer and like support, I can strongly recommend the Elixir Gun and appropriate traits.

Yeah, that's the gun I was talking about - very fun.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 30, 2012, 07:29:50 PM »

So is this game mainly about the PvP?  A friend and I enjoy a little bit of group duo work, is this game good for that?  I know the original was.  How about soloing?  Is the open world stuff similar to Rift where you can join a group working on a world event?

Basically if I were to play this, I'd either be soloing, or duoing with a friend.  I don't tend to do PuGs.  Would this game fit, or is there not enough content for my style of play?

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 30, 2012, 07:49:47 PM »

there's no real main focus. i did pretty much exclusively pve to try out some classes. for soloing, why would you want? there's no mob tagging at all. almost everyone did impromptu grouping as a result. this made things to by way faster. the combat isn't exactly a cake walk of sitting there trading blows because you can dodge and strafe around them. so doing this grouping makes things to way smoother.

can you solo? sure. would it be better to hang around players and help each other out? of course and this will probably happen no matter what you do.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 30, 2012, 08:04:14 PM »

I didn't play any PVP or WvW this time, I'll have to do that next time.

Events are very much like rifts, except 1) you don't have to join a group to get credit and 2) there are all different types and tend to involve the environment you happen to be in.

There was one pretty funny event I wound up in where you had to wear a cow disguise and train cows to scare off the wolves.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 30, 2012, 08:26:04 PM »

After spending far too much of my time playing over the weekend...I really like where GW2 is going and I can't wait till it's ready for release.

Awooooooogaaaaaa! Awooooooogaaaaaa! Incoming wall of blabbering text!

Performance was typical early beta for any other MMO I've tested, though the developer statements about how CPU dependent it currently is, is concerning. Changing the graphical settings made very little difference in how well it played. It was definitely playable for me on my (sub) mid-level rig, but during larger encounters it would be a bit too choppy to really get into the groove of the combat.

They need to get the dynamic event scaling correct as it seemed a bit hit or miss over the weekend. There were times when it was perfect, times when there where just too few mobs for the number of players, and times when there were obviously just too many mobs. I heard that they were aware of this issue, so hopefully they can work it out.

Playing with friends was an exercise in frustration the first day. Being in separate overflows from the main server without a way to band together is not good. They absolutely need to keep party's together. Granted, it was far better on days 2 and 3, but there were still a few occasions were we'd lose a member of our group.

More information needs to be given to the player during the first couple of hours on their take on "normal" MMO concepts. There are so many little things that have changed that I believe tool tips could solve, but there would be a ton of tool tips popping up. Examples: No face to face trading, it's done through the mail system which can be accessed through a panel anywhere. You can draw, set waypoints, and ping a spot on the map that is visible on all your party member maps. You can deposit items to your bank directly from your inventory. You can access the auction house from anywhere, but you'll still need to go to one to pick up any items you purchased. There are just so much of these type of changes from standard fare, that it was a bit confusing...not that any of them were bad concepts, they're just not very obvious. Some of these may be explained later in the game (I didn't take anyone past 20), but some would be really handy earlier.

Enough bitching! I'll just try and describe the gameplay for those few who might not know what what to expect.

Combat is an absolute blast! They've definitely breathed some fresh air into the stale MMO mechanics. Sure it may look fairly familiar, but the application is far from it.

The pacing is quite quick and and is reflected in the duration of buffs and debuffs (termed "boons" and "conditions" in GW2). Something that lasts 10 seconds is a long time here....stealth may last 2-5 seconds as a Theif, a Guardians ward maybe 3 seconds, a warriors stun or knockdown maybe 1 second.

Positioning is so important, especially with the number of mobs that will be thrown at you. With the way the mob will somewhat intelligently position itself, melee in front casters in the rear with some flanking....you have to make snap decisions on where you need to be. With the holy trinity biting the dust here, getting caught unprepared in the initial rush guarantees falling in battle regardless of class. As a heavy warrior, sure I may last a couple seconds longer standing there than a light caster, but that's it...seconds, as in very few.

You will fall, it's just a fact of the way the game is built. There's nothing wrong or embarrassing in it....you may get revived on the spot by anyone, or you might be able to fight back to your feet with the abilities you have when on your back. You kill a mob from your back and you rally, no one damages you any further and you use certain skill and you'll rally. If you end up losing the last bit of health and actually "die", you will suffer a death penalty to your total amount of health and damage to your gear. At that point you still may be revived by other players, or you can pay to teleport to any waypoint you've uncovered. Repairs and teleports are fairly inexpensive, so it's not a big issue to die. You want to prevent it, but doing so doesn't mean you lack skill, or the game is too hard for an average player like me.

This is where the dodge mechanic comes into play...use it or die even more often. For one thing, you're invulnerable during the roll, secondly it's a great way to get to an enemy flank. There doesn't seem to be any advantage from hitting someone from the flank or rear, but it does mean that they can't hit you when you're hitting them. Everything hits hard in the game, both the mobs and the players...so it boils down to avoiding hits, getting your damage in where you can, then getting out for a few seconds before jumping back in. It's all very active and constantly puts you on the move.

The beauty in it is that almost every class is fairly self-proficient, depending on your weapon selections...you very likely have the ability to proactively cope with any situation. I spent most of my time as a warrior or thief...as a warrior I found that I really enjoyed a Greatsword/2H Hammer combo. When wielding the hammer, I was capable of many AOE movement impairing effects that coupled with a bit of damage. Cripples, stuns, knockbacks, and knockdowns galore...but most very short range. Then the Greatsword allowed me to close on mobs quickly and do a ton of damage. Of course I had a personal heal skill and a few AOE buffs...so I'm actually fully capable of a wide range of abilities that wouldn't normally be available outside of very specific spec in most MMOs. This combo worked for me, but I could have spent time with so many other combinations. Swords, maces, axes, shields, so on. Even down to the main hand vs. off-hand combinations, where axe/mace is going to be completely different from mace/axe, that's right...nothing on the weapons bar would overlap.

I can say state that the classes seem to play very different from a traditional MMOs version of the same thing once you're past the surface. As a thief, stealth wasn't something you depended on as heavily as you would expect...in fact you can't depend on it because it doesn't last more than just a few seconds. But you are chock full of evasion/damage skills...you jump in, blast away for a few seconds, and get out. The skills include a lot of flanking, but burn up initiative fast (thief version of mana here) so you can't stick around. One neat thief skill with a main hand sword was to tap it to teleport you to a target, do what you need to for a couple seconds, and upon the second tap it teleports back to the spot you initiated it from. The initial spot is marked, so you could use it with the intention of kiting the mob back to that spot as you take a few seconds to recover.

This simple mark brings me to another thing I really like about GW2, the presentation of combat. To me at least, even with the unbelievable amount of things happening on screen it was fairly obvious what was happening to my character. If you are crippled you stagger, you're taking fire damage and you're definitely on fire, stunned and you wobble, poisoned and you turn a shade of green, there are also colors/textures that flash on the edge of the screen that give you cues your condition. Sure, there are icons on screen that you could hover over for additional details about the effects, but everything happens at sure a breakneck speed compared to a traditional MMO...that you'd likely be dead before you had a chance to read it. This also appears to apply to AOE conditions too...Red circles are bad, blue good, white neutral. You see a big blue bubble pop up and arrows bouncing off of it...pretty obvious eh? smile

The audio cues are of the same quality. There are sounds that can give you as much feedback on the situation as the visuals once you realize what they are. A miss sounds like a miss, contact with certain weapons sounds certain way, same with a block , or a final killing blow. Part of the reason the 2H hammer was such a blast for me was the sound it made, the combo of screen shake and an audio thud/tink made for a really satisfying experience. And yeah, making contact with a mob produced a very different sound than making contact with the ground.

As for questing...

Your personal quest, which is customized to the background choices you make during character creation, guides you to new areas of the world and is the only traditional questing you'll find in the game. Within my group of friends, there were some personal quests that were vastly different and some that would occasionally intersect. So we quickly realized that there are branching paths, but who knows how different they become as you move on. I can't really comment on the quality of the story as I skipped through the dialogue. For one thing, I didn't want to spoil it, secondly...the VO is not nearly as well done as say SWTOR, but it still tries to set the same kind of tone, so it wasn't hitting for me. I gather from word of mouth that there is ongoing work in this area, so I'm hoping the quality improves before release.

Anyways...arriving at a new area you'll speak to a "scout" that will automatically open your world map and give you a brief rundown on the local happenings while scrolling your map around to show you where the local villages are. Even though there are level recommendations to the villages, there is nothing to prevent you from going to any of them.

So you head to a village to participate in the village "quest". These are represented by a open heart on the map. Once you get there, the quest log in the upper corner will give you instruction on how you might help the village in some way...collect/kill/interact, and contribute. Once you've done enough, the heart solidifies on the map and you can assist no more. These just put you into a position to encounter the dynamic events happening in the world. As you're assisting the village, a dynamic event may be occurring nearby. You'll get visual and audio cues to alert you to this, or perhaps an NPC will speak about it in passing. This NPC doesn't stop you, and you don't interact with them, but he'll run by you telling you the situation before running to the next group of folks to tell them as well.

In one moment, I was heading out to a new waypoint that was showing on my map when some chap ran up yelling that a ranch was under attack from bandits. I took off that way and found about 10-15 players defending the ranch from waves of mobs 30-40 thick. When getting close, the quest tracker pops up telling me that we need to defend x amount of waves and that it's on x wave. What entailed was a long scenario where we beat the bandits off and were all credited for our contribution via XP, coin and karma (karma is an additional currency to buy specialty items) and watched the bandits run off toward their camps in the hills above the ranch. As I ran around collecting the massive amount of loot, the ranchers decide they want to take the bandit camps and so begins another event to raid the bandit camps. I've also ran into this area on a different character where the bandits had killed off the ranchers and held the ranch and the players we're task with driving them off...so there are multiple ways that you may initially run into this scenario of ranch vs bandits.

I feel that "Scenarios" is the best way to describe the basics of the dynamic event system. There is a finite number of states the area may be in, but there is a constant ebb and flow of battle.

There are also occurring bosses, which is a ton of fun when you have enough folks around. There were no obvious prerequisites, but they happen often enough that they kept me entertained.

There area also the skill challenges marked on your map, and completing them adds skill points. Skill points are what you spend on the utility skills and where you can start customizing your classes playstyle beyond just weapon combinations. I couldn't even begin to go through all the possibilities, but suffice to say there is enough there to keep things interesting. You never know what to exactly expect from your fellow players. The combinations in weapons alone are so wildly varied that the guy beside you could be a ranged AOE caster in one second and a clone creating, teleporting, melee fighter the next....and they're effective at both.

Quick notes...

The art style is very much to my liking. Fairly detailed with a well done, graphic novel look. ANet wanted concept art in motion and I think they've accomplish it. The effects are informative, but also very pretty and fit right into the overall look of the rest of the world. It's even down to the dodge effect surrounding a thief or mesmer is very much in line with the rest of the classes effects art. Yeah, each class seems to have it's own art style down to the effects, yet still blends in. Very very cool.

Sound, outside of the current VO work, is supurb. As I mentioned, the audio cues are great feedback. The soundtrack is epic. The class sound effects are of the quality of the class art, sure it sounds different than the other classes, but they all seem to fit.

There are no mounts and the distances can be daunting. The pay to teleport waypoints are handy and you need to grab them when you see them. No cooldown here, but you will be spending coin frequently. Run speed seems a bit plodding, but your class will likely have a speed buff somewhere. The Cities are HUGE. There are plenty of NPCs that will grant you a speed buff and several waypoints with each city, but you still have to hump it to a waypoint on foot for it to be available to you. Plan on spending a good bit of time exploring.

I didn't touch crafting as it's not something I spend too much time with. There are some interesting things going on here, but didn't delve into it enough to know if it's good or bad.

I absolutely love the level downscaling to the area you're in. I was able to take a higher level character to anywhere one of my friends may have a new character running, and still be presented a fun challenge.

Set PvP is fun. Like the rest, very fast and active.

Spent around two hours in World PvP, participating in a very intense but also very localized fight. Two hours of fighting is fine, two hours of ebb and flow over the same 200 yards of ground without any real sense accomplishment by either side wasn't so much to my liking. Very curious to how this will play out long term because I can see the possibility of some truly great gaming experiences.

Will it get stale too quickly? I can't say...if the events keep growing in stature or complexity as you level, I think it will be fine. Yet, if it stays the same, I could see folks tiring of it.

Anyways, that's enough thoughts for now.....my brain is hurting trying to cover it all.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:45:37 PM by Booner » Logged
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 30, 2012, 08:36:18 PM »

Excellent write up, Booner.   thumbsup

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 30, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »

Thanks....

One other thing I forgot to mention is the elephant in the room. Cash Shop!

It's appears early on that you are introduced to the cash shop in a sneaky manner that may be offputting to many folks, I know it was to one of my mates.

Everyone I spoke with ended up with a dropped chest added to their inventory and the only way to open it is through a specialized key that can be purchased through the cash shop, with gems that can be acquired with real currency. So you instantly see the 'need' for the cash shop.

Well what's not so obvious there, is that you can trade in game currency for gems through the trade window and it honestly doesn't seem all that prohibitive. It might not be something a level 5 player wants to spend his coin on, but you can see where anyone with a bit of time in game could do this without too much remorse.

...and on the other hand, this same key may drop from a mob.

The part that is the best? The items within were handy, but far from impressive. An hour long buff to run speed, a couple crafting items and a fairly common weapon/armor piece.  

All of our group felt much better when we looked a bit deeper than what is initially shown. Nothing offered in the shop seemed to be must-have items for any of us at least.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 30, 2012, 09:14:10 PM »

I got a key as a quest reward, and then every chest I opened had an additional key inside, so I wonder how big of a deal having to buy keys is going to be.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 30, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »

I'll buy a few time saver and convenience items in the cash shop. Additional character slots, bank slots, etc.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 30, 2012, 09:30:58 PM »

Cross-posted on OO, GT and the Wanderers forums. If you read it over there, it's exactly the same here.

TL;DR version: Guild Wars 2 is the most user-friendly MMO I have ever played, with fantastic art, music and world design, as well as very interesting combat mechanics, but it suffers from poor storytelling and occasionally repetitive game-play.

Preface: These impressions are based on about 15-20 hours of gameplay. I played a Human Ranger to level 14, completing the human starter zone, and about half as much with both a Charr Thief and Norn Warrior, to get a feel for their stories, zones and play-styles. I didn't touch PvP except for my final 45 minutes on Sunday evening, so I won't be talking about that.

Impressions: I'll start with my biggest positive: I have never felt that an MMO developer respects me as a player more than I did while playing GW2. ArenaNet has done a fabulous job cutting out the customary time-wasting, leaving an experience that is much more pure. You can quick-travel from anywhere, at any time, to any of an abundant number of waypoints around the world, so you will never spend more than a minute just running from place to place. You can read your mail, post to the auction house or deposit to your bank directly from the UI, without needing to return to town. Supposedly you will never see a server queue, as they implement "overflow" instances of the main game world to let you play immediately while you wait for space in the main instance to open up (the only downside to this is potential difficulty grouping with people in other instances but, otherwise, the overflow is indistinguishable from the main server). And individually instanced crafting nodes and very generous kill-sharing rules mean you will never have to fight another player for a resource or quest objective. Some of those are just bullet points from the previews, but I've experienced them all now and they work.

Beyond those things, there are also some simpler touches in the game that prove ArenaNet really has been paying attention. You can choose the default dye template for all your armor during character creation. The Friends list sorts by Account name, so you don't have to keep track of everyone's myriad alts. You can be a member of multiple guilds at once and simply toggle which one you're "representing" at any given time. If you know someone who plays on another server, you can hop over there to play with them as a "guest". And the game encourages grouping with lower level characters by automatically scaling your level to the area you're in.

All together, I never once felt like I was "playing the interface" this weekend or fighting against time-sinks designed to force me to extend my subscription (since there isn't one!), which was a remarkable breath of fresh air.

None of the that, though, says anything about the world or the game-play itself, so I'll talk about those next. I found the world quite striking and beautiful (playing on the highest or second-highest graphics settings), the zones are believable as geographic locations (rather than just skins over leveling corridors) and the scale is almost breathtaking at times, particularly in the major cities. I had a couple of "hey, that looks neat, I'll go check it out" moments while wandering around, which I really enjoy. Architecturally, the only MMO area that has ever impressed me more than Divinity's Reach or Lion's Arch is the Mines of Moria in LOTRO. My only complaint about the world is that it's not seamless: there are loading screens between each major zone, although thankfully not between most interior / exterior locations.

I am also a fan of their weapon skill system and the active, dodging-is-possible combat. The former allows so much flexibility and seems so obvious in retrospect that it needs to become an industry standard. Your first three skills are determined by your main-hand weapon and your fourth and fifth by your off-hand, with every weapon type being different (and main- and off-hand skills are different, so equipping the same two weapons in opposite hands will yield five different skills). The result is that each class has a vast number of choices for basic play-style, based on which weapons you equip, but without the overflowing skill bar that other games use to achieve the same thing.

The more active combat style -- expecting you to move and evade attacks -- is also a net positive, I think, since I actually spent my time fighting watching the fighting and not my cool-downs (and these are reasonably long in general, I suspect primarily to create time to watch the combat). That said, this combat system isn't perfect, as constantly circle-strafing is almost mandatory, especially for melee characters, which just results in a different form of highly repetitive game-play. And this is a traditional MMO in the unfortunate sense that the world is still populated by hundreds of brain-dead creatures just standing around waiting for someone to trip their aggro radius. In terms of group play, the small group content is excellent but ArenaNet still hasn't come up with any innovations to make very large-scale activities, such as a world boss or even just a dynamic event with a couple dozen people participating, any more interesting: with too many people, any event just degenerates into an incomprehensible slideshow of spell effects and overlapping character models.

My biggest complaint, however, is largely subjective: GW2 is quite light on story, which is the thing I value most. The voice acting for your character's main plot varies from mediocre to poor (even Claudia Christian sounded like she was phoning in my female Norn Warrior) and I'm not a fan of the side-by-side cutscene style that they've chosen, which just seems cheap to me. That decision actually baffles me quite a bit, because I thought one of the most popular features of GW1 was its cinematic-style cutscenes.

Worse, however, especially coming off the fully-voiced and cutscened SWTOR, is that there is practically no story beyond your character's plot: the "wander around and help people to gain renown" model seems intriguingly freeform (except, of course, that mob levels mean there's a very definite intended path) but there's no meaningful interaction with the people you're helping and no opportunity to establish or develop your avatar's personality while doing so. The game basically operates on a system of enforced altruism: it assumes that you will want to help these people and that you are happy to do so. And because there are sometimes multi-level jumps between stages of your main plot, you are pretty much forced to help them in order to gain XP (assuming you don't want to do PvP or just grind mobs in the wilderness randomly), even if you'd rather be playing a snarky, selfish SOB who would never in a million years stoop to clearing grubs out of some farmer's orchard.

Conclusion: The result is that I came away from the weekend questioning the longevity of the PvE gameplay, in an inverse fashion to SWTOR: BioWare gives you compelling reasons to slog through very worn out gameplay; ArenaNet offers much more interesting mechanics but little reason to care about using them. Once I've seen the end of the main plot once (and however differently all the races' stories start out, my understanding is that they're all going to end up in the same defeat-the-Elder-Dragons place), am I really going to be interested in playing through all the associated side stuff again?

Somewhat unsurprisingly then, given that the game is called Guild Wars, I feel that my interest in GW2 may live and die, long-term, by it's PvP and WvW gameplay. So I'd better try that side of the game during the next beta weekend.

- Ash
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 30, 2012, 10:17:20 PM »

I only had performance suffer during the beta finale event.

BTW, the lack of ability to easily group with friends was a HUGE turn off

On the cash shop front, keep in mind that the game has a built in mechanic for trading gold for gems (the real cash currency) and back.  This gives people a way to turn real money into in game gold OR buy things you can 'only' get for real money.  The flip side is that this lets people who don't want to put real money in the game earn gold, then buy the gems for gold, thus ALSO having access to the items you can 'only' get for real money.  It's really a win-win system and the way I prefer to see cash systems if you must have something not available straight up for gold.

The story seemed well thought out to me though a lot of the voice acting is uneven.  The cutscenes are not final (and even have a giant WORK IN PROGRESS sign in the corner so that you know this).  I loved how your personality and background choices affected the story missions.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 01, 2012, 12:27:18 AM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on April 30, 2012, 07:29:50 PM

So is this game mainly about the PvP?  A friend and I enjoy a little bit of group duo work, is this game good for that?  I know the original was.  How about soloing?  Is the open world stuff similar to Rift where you can join a group working on a world event?

Basically if I were to play this, I'd either be soloing, or duoing with a friend.  I don't tend to do PuGs.  Would this game fit, or is there not enough content for my style of play?

You can easily solo in the game since the content scales.  At one point, I actually had an easier time soloing than duoing because of the scaling.

Dungeons though, I would guess you can't solo them.  I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you need 4-5 people to have any chance at finishing a dungeon.  But I can't really say for sure since there didn't seem to be any early dungeons to try during the beta.  I think the lowest level dungeon might be at level 30.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 01, 2012, 12:42:19 AM »

I never saw any indication of scaling due to number of players fwiw.

There are 5 man dungeons as well.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 01, 2012, 12:56:48 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 01, 2012, 12:42:19 AM

I saw some scaling...usually the number of mobs spawned during public quests.  Needs some work but overall it worked pretty well.  Human area was the best overall (by far) but I still loved the atmosphere and area of the Norn.  I did find as a ranger that it was much easier to tame a lot more animals early in the Norn area.  Overall I can't wait for it to be released.  I'm confident most of the issues will be fixed long before then.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 01, 2012, 01:07:19 AM »

pets in general seemed to spend more time dead than alive in both pve and pvp
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 01, 2012, 01:19:57 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 01, 2012, 01:07:19 AM

pets in general seemed to spend more time dead than alive in both pve and pvp

Yeah, my Ranger's initial pet seemed far too weak in initial PvE. Plus, since they don't actually die but just run back to your side when they run out of health, it took me quite a while to realize why it stopped helping me (i.e., because it needed reviving). I don't know if the other various obtainable pets are supposedly to be significantly different / better than the ones you can choose to begin with or are just cosmetic, and I imagine spending some trait points on your pet would help, but the fragility of my pet was a significant negative for me in playing a Ranger.

- Ash
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 01, 2012, 04:24:46 AM »

(also cross-posted from Wanderers forum)

I have a lot of mixed feelings on GW2 overall. Most of my opinions echo Asharak's, particularly all of the positives. The interesting thing is we come to the same conclusion on the negatives but coming from opposite directions. For me, the story is the least important thing in an MMO. Not so much the "lore" but the individualized story. If I want a totally immersive and engrossing story, I prefer a single player game like Mass Effect or Dragon Age where I can fundamentally impact the story and the world. Until a developer has the guts to do a true evolving sandbox, I really don't need a solo-based story in my MMO. Frankly I find the whole concept counter-intuitive, and for those that do love that sort of thing, SWTOR has done an absolutely fantastic job. I can't see anyone doing much better, and so, like Asharak, I found the personalized story portions in GW2 lacking in comparison. I totally agree that even the cutscenes in GW had more flair and personality. The "2 people talking into the air" animation feels like some sort of throwback to old time JRPGs. I'd rather they spent their time on something else.

Which gets me to my next major beef. As the years progressed in GW, it became clear that the PvE development superceded the PvP. I had high hopes that GW2 would make a course correction, or at least equalize things. But unfortunately this game also feels much more like a PvE game than a PvP one. Sure you can experience both the WvW and the deathmatch PvP modes at will, but the former is still very level based (and thus feels like PvE) and the latter, from what I've heard, is meant primarily for the hardcore PvPers who dominated GvG. I suppose I was hoping for either a more casual-ized GvG (which was still the best part of GW for me, at least in the early days when we actually had a chance) or more forms of improved casual team-based PvP. WvW is fun, but by and large it's inevitably going to be mostly zerg style tactics and in spite of the fun you get, it still resets just like WAR, DAOC, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to enjoy all the things the game does have to offer. All the things Ash mentioned should really make it a much more enjoyable group experience, and the dynamic PvE is a nice way to avoid the standard fedex, killx quest syndrome. I think ultimately I'm just disappointed that they chose to put so much of their time and resources into the PvE elements instead of focusing more on unique innovations in PvP. I don't know if it's even possible, but I would have loved to play some version of GvG that even a relatively casual team could do well in (i.e. League of Legends).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: May 01, 2012, 04:43:01 AM »

Hit the front page, I have a full 5 man dungeon recorded.  The monsters were TOUGH. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 01, 2012, 04:55:50 AM »

front page?  ninja
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 01, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »

Quote from: Asharak on April 30, 2012, 09:30:58 PM

... deposit to your bank directly from the UI, without needing to return to town. ...

I missed that.  How do you do that from the UI?

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 01, 2012, 11:40:25 AM »

Right click -> deposit collectible
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 01, 2012, 12:34:26 PM »

So easy.   Cool

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 01, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »

I saw the AI scale.  Playing solo I was pulling the mobs one by one with no issues.  Playing with a buddy they would BAF.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 01, 2012, 09:52:57 PM »

interesting, they baf'd on me constantly.  You sure your friend wasn't using a bouncing attack of some sort?

I know the renown and dynamic events supposedly scale (though the devs said it was acting up), but I didn't think normal encounters scaled.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 02, 2012, 07:19:42 AM »

A note on ranger pets for those feeling they were dead all of the time: Are you aware that you can have two pets and swap between them just like you can with weapons? Your downed pet will heal up when swapped out. And yes, different types of pets have very different strengths and weaknesses. You can start the fight, say, with a cat for a high initial burst damage and then, once it's taken a pounding, insta-swap to a bear for something that can take a little more abuse. There are about 30 or so different pets available so you have a lot of options for your pair o' pets. You can also set up a different pair of pets to have when you go underwater.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 02, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »

if ranger pets are anything like the necros they need a serious hp buff and better AI.

picking a full on pet for the necro was a bad choice.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 02, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on May 02, 2012, 07:19:42 AM

A note on ranger pets for those feeling they were dead all of the time: Are you aware that you can have two pets and swap between them just like you can with weapons? Your downed pet will heal up when swapped out. And yes, different types of pets have very different strengths and weaknesses. You can start the fight, say, with a cat for a high initial burst damage and then, once it's taken a pounding, insta-swap to a bear for something that can take a little more abuse. There are about 30 or so different pets available so you have a lot of options for your pair o' pets. You can also set up a different pair of pets to have when you go underwater.

I do think most people don't realize this since they just have a dead pet follow them everywhere.  However I still think there is a problem with pet survivability overall.  They tend to just melt in any aoe.  Maybe they should have an aoe damage reduction so you have to actually target them to kill them.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 02, 2012, 12:01:05 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on May 02, 2012, 07:19:42 AM

A note on ranger pets for those feeling they were dead all of the time: Are you aware that you can have two pets and swap between them just like you can with weapons?

I was aware of that, but I didn't figure out how to charm another pet (or rather, how simple it was to charm another pet) until I was almost done with the Ranger for the weekend, so I didn't get much benefit out of it. If I continue with the class next time, I'll definitely be seeing how much of a difference that makes.

- Ash
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 02, 2012, 01:05:53 PM »

I was reading the new GW2 database and saw that pets have other abilities such as transferring damage from you to them and debuffing. It may be that they are not meant to be tanks, but rather companions that stay by your side, not wade into battle alone.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 02, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »

Quote from: Jag on May 02, 2012, 01:05:53 PM

I was reading the new GW2 database and saw that pets have other abilities such as transferring damage from you to them and debuffing. It may be that they are not meant to be tanks, but rather companions that stay by your side, not wade into battle alone.

that's how people have been using them in my experience.  They come in with them, and the pet just melts when AOE's hit the pet that are aimed at the master.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »

Yes people are playing it like a WoW hunter while GW2 is a game that is trying to get rid of the trinity which includes tanks.  So having a pet that tanks just defeats the purpose of what they are trying to accomplish.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:48 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 02, 2012, 07:23:44 PM

Yes people are playing it like a WoW hunter while GW2 is a game that is trying to get rid of the trinity which includes tanks.  So having a pet that tanks just defeats the purpose of what they are trying to accomplish.

Well the bear as a pet can tank pretty well in PvE, especially if you also have the toughness signet which not only increases their toughness but lets you make your pet invulnerable for 3 seconds.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 02, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 02, 2012, 07:29:48 PM

Well the bear as a pet can tank pretty well in PvE, especially if you also have the toughness signet which not only increases their toughness but lets you make your pet invulnerable for 3 seconds.

But can it taunt and hold aggro because that defines the role of tank.  Maybe you just meant it's beefier?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 02, 2012, 08:01:09 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 02, 2012, 07:43:38 PM

But can it taunt and hold aggro because that defines the role of tank.  Maybe you just meant it's beefier?

No explicit taunt, but I didn't really see stuff breaking off once I sent it in.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 02, 2012, 09:00:20 PM »

Beta forums are read only "for a few weeks".  I hope they have the next beta test before the Memorial Day weekend.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 02, 2012, 10:17:13 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 02, 2012, 08:01:09 PM

Quote from: skystride on May 02, 2012, 07:43:38 PM

No explicit taunt, but I didn't really see stuff breaking off once I sent it in.

Yep, that was my experience as well.  I saw no real value to using any of the other pets, which was a shame.  Whatever utility the other pets had was essentially rendered moot by how little health they had and how quickly they died compared to the bear, especially when trying to complete the story quests.

I think decreasing AoE damage is one possibility, but I think the pets really shouldn't be so disparate in how much health they have.  Otherwise, something like the bird (which dies immediately to almost everything) needs to have some utility that is incredibly useful so that you will feel the urge to use it even if it is not engaging in melee combat.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 10, 2012, 02:45:42 AM »

Stress Test on Monday the 14th

"We’ll be conducting a stress test on Monday May 14 from 11 AM to 6:00 PM PDT (-7 GMT).

This special test event is open only to Pre-Purchase customers who have registered their accounts......"

Full quote can be seen on the beta forum.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: May 10, 2012, 06:18:55 AM »

Quote from: Booner on May 10, 2012, 02:45:42 AM

Stress Test on Monday the 14th

"We’ll be conducting a stress test on Monday May 14 from 11 AM to 6:00 PM PDT (-7 GMT).

This special test event is open only to Pre-Purchase customers who have registered their accounts......"

Full quote can be seen on the beta forum.

I just feel like my PC might be busy at that time...not sure why.  Hmmmm.....    icon_twisted

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 10, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »

That's perfect actually!  Get D3 installed and patched up in the morning, Guild Wars 2 for the afternoon, evening, then sweet sweet Diablo action for the rest of my life.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: