http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 02:27:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)  (Read 41041 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 13, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »

Pre-purchasing starts April 10th!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 13, 2012, 02:18:20 PM »

https://buy.guildwars2.com/collectors-edition

Yeah like I'm gonna pay $149.99 again just to get some stupid 10-inch painted figurine after my SWTOR purchase last year? C'mon. Do I look like a fool?...

Do I?  icon_lol

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 13, 2012, 02:21:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 13, 2012, 02:18:20 PM

Yeah like I'm gonna pay $149.99 again just to get some stupid 10-inch painted figurine after my SWTOR purchase last year? C'mon. Do I look like a fool?...

Do I?  icon_lol

You gonna pay it. And like it!  icon_twisted nod

As shall I.  nod
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 13, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 13, 2012, 02:21:22 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on March 13, 2012, 02:18:20 PM

Do I?  icon_lol

You gonna pay it. And like it!  icon_twisted nod

As shall I.  nod

Sadly, I am leaning towards doing so as well.

eek
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 13, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »

Luckily I am immune to any CE that has a statue in it.  They're usually ugly and I don't want them anywhere around my house.  That rule applies to this CE as well.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 13, 2012, 03:28:30 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 13, 2012, 03:07:20 PM

Luckily I am immune to any CE that has a statue in it.  They're usually ugly and I don't want them anywhere around my house.  That rule applies to this CE as well.

You can't see fine figurines in the dark. That's why!  icon_razz
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 13, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 13, 2012, 03:07:20 PM

You might as well just invite us to all send our CE statues to your house.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 13, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »

I hope you guys don't mind me asking, but aside from actually being in 3D, what other major design changes have been made from the first game? I've heard it said the game is more MMO like...does that mean there are more public areas, or what?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 13, 2012, 05:32:59 PM »

Personally I never got into GW at all (yeah I know, I'm weird, tell your friends). If I thought GW2 was merely a coat of new paint, it wouldn't interest me at all.

The official site tries to summarize its features here:
http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/
Events
Enter the living world of Guild Wars 2 - filled with thousands of dynamic events that ebb and flow through the course of your adventures. One day there may be a thriving village filled with vendors and townspeople, the next day that village may be a smoking ruin overrun by centaurs.

Dynamic events evolve and cascade across the world in response to how you, the player, interact with them, leaving persistent effects in the game world. Will you save that village or let it burn? The choice rests with you and your fellow players.

The Dynamic Event system in Guild Wars 2 is built to be scalable and encourage impromptu group play where players are naturally cooperating together and not worried about encroaching on each other. The more the merrier!
Yeah, yeah, sounds like Rift a bit. Is that a bad thing?  icon_smile

Personal Stories
Guild Wars 2 is the story of YOU, and the heroic adventures you experience in the massive, dynamic world of Tyria. With the customizable, personal storylines in Guild Wars 2, you can explore a fully interactive MMO world with your friends and follow your character's own unique narrative.

Your story begins when you create a character. The choices you make at the beginning of the game - race, profession, and biographical details - set your character on a customized story track. But it doesn't end there - as you adventure, the decisions you make spin off into new storylines and new directions. Your character's story reflects your interest and your choices - no two players will have the same experience.

Combat
Guild Wars 2 combat is visceral, dynamic, and visually impressive.

Maneuver around an opponent to strike for maximum damage or send them flying through the air. Create giant crushing stone hands, turn into a massive tornado, or summon a flock of vicious birds of prey to swarm your enemies.

Turn the tide of battle with improvised tactics. Combine attacks from different professions for extra damage, like shooting arrows through a flaming wall to create a barrage of flaming projectiles, or sending pets through a cloud of poison so they spread the toxin among the enemy.

Search your surroundings for powerful environmental weapons. In the hands of a skilled elementalist, a simple boulder can be turned into a meteor storm. Save the day by taking control of a siege weapon on the battlefield!

The skill system is easy to learn and rewarding to master. In Guild Wars 2, you start with a strong base set of skills, but the game allows for deep player customization. You get your base skills from the weapons you wield and then customize your skill-set with racial skills, healing skills, profession skills, and even a devastating elite skill.
The "design manifesto" blog post from 2010's also worth checking out, although clearly there's been updates/changes since then:
http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto
Check out "Rethinking Combat" in particular.

Now in the end, talk is cheap. We've all played too many games that promised to break the mold or be something special and that didn't quite get there. So we'll see...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:37:57 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 13, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »

I'll pass on the CE, that figure doesn't looks like it's worth the extra money.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 13, 2012, 05:43:55 PM

(PR faints!)
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2012, 06:38:14 PM »

That's because no figure is worth the extra money. slywink

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »

In! for pre-order.

In! for CE.

In! In! In! In! In!

Hell, if CK had a soul, I'd sell it to get into this game early!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 14, 2012, 02:39:35 AM »

I'm in too. This will hopefully become my next long time MMO. Much like my 4 years with Lotro.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 14, 2012, 05:17:17 AM »

Those of you planning to pick it up, are in it for PvP?

Some of the new stuff sounds interesting. Already three new MMOs on my plate this year (counting TOR).

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 14, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »

Yep.  I'm most interested in the World v World stuff, but the tournament stuff also sounds pretty great.  GW2 PvP

The PvE I'll do mostly with my family and friends, although I think the chances of me dragging them into PvP will be pretty good in GW2, as it appears small encounters won't see them dying in 2 hits from a mage's fireball of death.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 14, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »

I'll be preordering and plan to do PvE and WvW.  Never cared much for arena combat though.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 14, 2012, 05:37:30 PM »

I'll be mostly doing PvP but it would be silly to ignore GW2 just because you only do PvE.  It looks like GW2 has plenty of stuff to do for both PvE and PvP players and they are not segmenting the population with server rule-sets either.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 15, 2012, 06:21:33 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 13, 2012, 06:38:14 PM

That's because no figure is worth the extra money. slywink
I need a figure to do battles with my SWTOR CE Darth Malgus. I don't think the Diablo III Diablo skull will work.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 19, 2012, 11:36:11 PM »

Want to hear more about 'Personal Story' in GW2?

Here's some info...  Blog Link (ArenaNet)

LD

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 21, 2012, 08:25:39 PM »

beta invites are coming out.

In the Facebook page for the MMORPG, the developer said that invites are being distributed over the coming days. It went on to say that discussing the details of the beta “in any way, shape, or form” even including your status in the beta would be a breach of the non-disclosure agreement testers have to abide by in order to participate. The message ends with “Don’t risk your beta access.” Strong stuff. ArenaNet is definitely taking game detail security very seriously. And why shouldn’t they? The next iteration of Guild Wars promises to be quite an awesome evolution of the MMORPG thus far.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 26, 2012, 02:00:39 PM »

My unnamed friend who's in the beta called me last night and gave me his impressions: 'Buy this game immediately. You're going to love it. It's the best MMO I've ever played.' He went into more details, but that's it in a nutshell. Come on April 10th! Get here so I can pull the trigger on that pre-order!  nod
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 26, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »

Great.  As if I'm not already foaming at the mouth, you have to go and post that...

Time is moving sooooo sloooooow.

LD

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 27, 2012, 03:18:23 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 21, 2012, 08:25:39 PM

In the Facebook page for the MMORPG, the developer said that invites are being distributed over the coming days. It went on to say that discussing the details of the beta “in any way, shape, or form” even including your status in the beta would be a breach of the non-disclosure agreement testers have to abide by in order to participate. The message ends with “Don’t risk your beta access.” Strong stuff. ArenaNet is definitely taking game detail security very seriously. And why shouldn’t they? The next iteration of Guild Wars promises to be quite an awesome evolution of the MMORPG thus far.

indeed, nobody should say anything that might in any way indicate they might be or not be in a beta for this amazing game!  

ninja

Spoiler for Hiden:
ninja

ninja
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 27, 2012, 03:39:39 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 27, 2012, 03:18:23 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 21, 2012, 08:25:39 PM

indeed, nobody should say anything that might in any way indicate they might be or not be in a beta for this amazing game!  

yep, I'd hate to make someone like Lockdown or PR_GMR or rittchard feel bad.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 27, 2012, 03:51:23 AM »

Harkonis?! Et tu, Brute!  crybaby
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 27, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »

You guys are unbelievable!  *!&*%!$*!

LD

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 27, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »

Did they send out more invites after the first batch?

Although the prepurchase is almost here anyway and everyone can get in that way soon enough.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 27, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 27, 2012, 09:21:54 AM

You guys are unbelievable!  *!&*%!$*!
Live vicariously through Gamespy...

Hands on with Guild Wars 2
ArenaNet will make Blizzard, BioWare, and Trion work for those subscription fees.

Not since those first fateful days seven years ago in World of Warcraft's Elwynn Forest have I wanted to spend so much time in an MMO, and not since then have I found myself awaiting a release day with something other than a journalist's reverence for deadlines. As a person who found the first Guild Wars boring beyond belief, this comes as a welcome surprise.

So far, at least, Guild Wars 2 looks like that rare game that might actually live up to many of the expectations heaped on top of it, and that means good things for both ArenaNet and the genre as a whole.
I'm doing my best to keep my excitement in check. For one, I know I felt something like this following Rift's release, but the semblance of dynamism that the rifts provided died out quickly, and today many rifts churn without a single player trying to close them. Guild Wars 2's dynamic events aren't quite the same, since they feature widely different scenarios besides holes opening in the sky, but I can see a day when the Shadow Behemoth rages alone and unchecked, and when new players struggle to complete dynamic content that's meant for multiple players. I hope I'm wrong, and that remains a hypothetical worst-case scenario.

So far, however, 18 levels in, Guild Wars 2 looks like a contender that lives up to the hype. It's polished, too -- I only discovered one major bug during my entire weekend jaunt (in which none of the slaves I freed seem to care that I was freeing them), and my framerates only sagged among the player mobs at the Shadow Behemoth. I can't think of a single setting that I didn't find worthy of a screenshot, and I like the ways in which Guild Wars 2 styles itself as a game you can get something out of whether you spend 30 minutes or six hours in it.
The guy almost sounds like me. Although I didn't actively dislike GW, it just didn't hook me. But likewise like him, I enjoyed Rift around launch and for a couple months and the magic wore off for me.

Lockdown, if it makes you feel any better, I'm not in the GW2 beta either, and I certainly did apply.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 29, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »

Doesn't make me feel any better.  Hell, I wish we were both in.

For those relegated to watching videos of the betas, assuming you've got interest, here is a list that is compiling of the 3/25 weekend videos.
There are already a shit-ton of them.

GW2 Guru Link

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 03, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »

So I was watching one of the 6 million videos of GW2 on youtube yesterday, and someone mentioned that in the upcoming game Tera, they are going to have actual guild wars where, much like EVE, guilds can 'declare war' on other guilds, and when in the world, will be flagged automatically toward each other.  That is a pretty cool concept, and something I always liked in EVE.

Do you guys have any thoughts regarding that?  I mean, since you can literally switch guilds "on the fly" from what I understand in GW2 - would you guys endorse a concept like that?

LD

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 03, 2012, 10:16:14 PM »

Tera offers instanced PvP matches (BGs) and the guild vs guild just sounds like RPK with not much point otherwise.  GW2 offers instanced PvP as well as structured PvP with territory control in WvW.  From everything I've read, Tera doesn't seem that exciting strictly from a PvP perspective.  I played Tera beta on a PvP server but I was too low to see any action.  The fast paced combat is about the only good thing going for Tera.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 03, 2012, 10:20:10 PM »

Breaking news, GW2 is coming out around the same time as The Secret World according to PR!! Thanks PR, I'm taking month of June off, you better not be wrong!  icon_twisted

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 03, 2012, 08:15:40 PM

Why, why Funcom, y u release this around same time as 'Guild Wars 2'?!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 05, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »

Squads in Guild Wars 2??

Yep

LD

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: April 06, 2012, 11:17:10 PM »

I can neither confirm nor deny the possibility of access to the developers directly soon (tm).    So it would be a complete waste of time to ask the community to drum up questions that they might want answered.  Yep...a total waste.   ninja

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 07, 2012, 01:53:50 AM »

Excellent.

LD

tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: April 07, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »

Most important question never answered....  what type of options have the developers built into the game that deals with "spouse aggro"...  Some sort of 3rd party cone of silence perhaps?
http://www.christorchaos.com/images/Coneofsilence.jpg

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 07, 2012, 07:11:42 PM »

tc ive heard that guild wars 2 DID solve this problem.  because its a free to play mmo, they will require your credit card to shop at the in-game "store" which is actually a mail order tiffany and co slywink
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 08, 2012, 02:04:45 AM »

I would love to know when they plan to release.  Even an approximate guess from the devs.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 08, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 08, 2012, 02:04:45 AM

I would love to know when they plan to release.  Even an approximate guess from the devs.

May 15th, 2012.  icon_biggrin

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: