http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2016, 02:01:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting WoW in 2016  (Read 317 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2016, 06:27:56 PM »

(crossposted from OO, since this subsection could use a shot in the arm smile)

Throughout most of my gaming life, I actively avoided MMOs. I could never wrap my brain around the idea of paying for a game, then paying per month to play it. I'm also not a social person by nature, so playing with others didn't hold much appeal for me. Guild Wars 2 completely changed my mindset, and I came away from that game entirely fascinated by the genre. I played GW2 for the better part of a year, then I jumped into the beta for Final Fantasy XIV. Three years and 1,500 hours and counting of FFXIV later, I find myself quite in love with MMO's. I've tried all of the major ones, capping out toons (at the time, anyways) in GW2, FFXIV, Neverwinter, SWTOR, ESO, and Tera. I play exclusively PvE, and mostly play solo unless the game requires grouping, something FFXIV does a lot.

Oddly, however, I never really got into WoW. I gave it a half-hearted effort a couple times, but the highest I ever got was level 12. I've always been completely fascinated by the lore and the overall world that WoW created, but jumping into a well-established MMO 10+ years into its lifespan is an incredibly intimidating prospect.

Looking through the upcoming release schedule and realizing that there really isn't anything coming out that I'm terribly excited about until September (Final Fantasy XV), I have decided to spend a month or two and give WoW a dedicated effort. If nothing else, just so I can say I did. smile

Rolled a Draenei Hunter on the Dalaran (high pop) server, and ran up to level 7 last night. It's actually quite fascinating to see the foundations of the game - both good and bad - in the starting zones. Even though the questing was very basic and the graphics are rough around the edges, the overall aesthetic and world are still stunningly beautiful. I plan on taking my time leveling up, as I'm in no rush to get to the cap. My playstyle is far more about the journey than the destination when it comes to MMO's, and I'm quite excited at the prospect of diving into such a richly developed world. I know there's an expansion coming out soon (August?), but I'm not concerned about getting to cap before then. If I'm still interested by the time it comes out, I may give it a shot.

If there's things you think I should know, I'm all ears. I'm also not opposed to jumping to another server, if folks think there's a better place I should start. Will post a few thoughts here as I go, if anyone is interested in hearing what a complete WoW noob might think of such a well-established game.

Remover of Inconvenient Obstacles
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:40:37 AM »

I loved WoW when I played it.  I loved the open PvP as well, but once battlegrounds were added I lost my opponents and the game became stale to me.  I did just go 1-20 for a Hearthstone unlock though.  Took the better part of a day.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 05:19:01 AM »

I'd imagine that you will start outleveling quests pretty easily with how much they have sped up the curve these days.  I think when I first played vanilla WoW it took me like a month or more of hardcore playing to get to my mid 40's, and now people do that like nothing. 

So I would maybe start different characters for all the races so you can get to check out the starting areas and the zones next to them without feeling like you're wasting your time.  Or they probably have a system for leveling quests along with you now?  No idea, it's been ages since I played.

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 09:23:26 PM »

my account is still active and I think I have characters on Dalaran yell if you need some help.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 05:48:20 PM »

I started playing again the last couple of days with the release of Legion.  It's been many years and it looks like they wiped all the characters off my account.  Luckily with the free lvl 100 it almost felt like I was just starting a new game from scratch.  (Interestingly, though, it seems like they retained my old hotkeys...). 

I've only played a couple of hours, but thus far I liked what I've seen.  The overarching storyline with the return of the Legion isn't anything particularly creative, but it certainly sets the stage nicely and the presentation is much more compelling and personal than what I recall from years past.  The game graphics are really feeling dated these days, but that is only a minor distraction.  The new cutscenes and addition of more voiceover work is impressive.  Most importantly the questing so far appears more focused and relevant to the core storyline, and thus draws you in deeper than in days past where it became difficult to remember why you were killing the 100th boar. 

I suspect I may not last too long in the end, but you never know.  Right now I'm pretty excited about the game again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: