http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 08:54:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold Farmers  (Read 2379 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2005, 12:47:54 PM »

We posted that Blizz canned a whole bunch of farmer accounts but it got me thinking....

If these people are making thousands on gold farming, what is another 50 dollar account?  I know its hard to prosecute folks in China and Taiwan for instance, but there has to be some recourse.  Is MMO gold farming the new sweat shop of choice?  Kathie Lee would be proud...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 04:17:59 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
We posted that Blizz canned a whole bunch of farmer accounts but it got me thinking....

If these people are making thousands on gold farming, what is another 50 dollar account?

Well it does remove the money they had stored on those characters and even though they can buy another account and start over again (I am sure they will) they do have to level back up to the appropriate level. And, this time around, they can not use fishing bots or out-of-whack items (like the goblins in Strangletorn, the hippogriffs in Azhera, or rogue+scarlet monestary) to amass their gold stockpiles. Plus, while it might not be even remotely effective at ending gold farming for cash, it does send a message that Blizzard does not like it and will ban your accounts if they can catch you. Its something at least.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 04:26:36 PM »

If they banned over 1000 accounts for farming then I would imagine they have a way of automatically parsing their logs for patterns of farming behavior.  So if they make new accounts then they will likely be very quickly banned again.  Otherwise they would have to act like a normal player which would certainly cut into their profits.  I guess they would bolt to 30 and then act like they are grinding money for their mounts.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 04:37:14 PM »

*nods*  I'd agree - they have to have some automated process.  Its probably something like looking at connection logs for a month and saying "Hmmm...this character named Farmbot has been connected for 99% of the day, every day, for the last 30 days.  BANNINATION!"  or something with less Trogdor in it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 04:45:24 PM »

I am not sure how they can effectively monitor gold-for-cash farmers using only in-game information. As noted, 1000's upon 1000's farm cash for legitimate reasons (900 gold for mount, 100s for those overpriced purple items, etc). And, while playing for long stretches of time might be an indicator of a gold farmer, I hardly see how they could ban an account based on that.

I bet there is more out-of-game investigation going on here, like they buy a small amount of gold through one of the services and then wait to get the cash. Once gotten, ban all characters of that account and any account using the same credit card info.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 04:50:58 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
I bet there is more out-of-game investigation going on here, like they buy a small amount of gold through one of the services and then wait to get the cash. Once gotten, ban all characters of that account and any account using the same credit card info.

That's more than likely it. Odds are that Blizzard can track mails via their mailbox system.

And along the same line - something tells me that a dozen people (or more), all sending large chunks of cash to one person every single day sets off a few flags in their system too.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 05:30:40 PM »

I would hope the bannings are for selling gold for cash, rather than farming.

As long as you're not using a bot, how does farming (whether gold, or Turtle Scales, or Elemental drops, or whatever) violate the TOS?
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 05:38:26 PM »

Quote from: "Exodor"
I would hope the bannings are for selling gold for cash, rather than farming.

As long as you're not using a bot, how does farming (whether gold, or Turtle Scales, or Elemental drops, or whatever) violate the TOS?

As noted in the press release, they banned them for farming gold and selling it for real-world cash.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 09:25:47 PM »

I am curious about eveyone's opinion on this type of practice in general... I personally don't mind people selling cash, items, characters, whatever, from whatever game for cash. how does it hurt anything? The people who want to buy it will just be more motivated to stay playing longer (I know I did) and the people who don't want to buy it don't have to.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 11:01:55 PM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
I am curious about eveyone's opinion on this type of practice in general... I personally don't mind people selling cash, items, characters, whatever, from whatever game for cash. how does it hurt anything? The people who want to buy it will just be more motivated to stay playing longer (I know I did) and the people who don't want to buy it don't have to.

Next time you want to buy a blue item at the AH and the buyout is 900G - then you'll understand how it hurts the game.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 12:59:46 AM »

If that is a WoW reference, I don't get it, since I don't play WoW... smile
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 03:59:55 AM »

Basically, there are very highly prized items.  Rare items have their names displayed in Blue text, while (term?) very rare items are displayed in Purple.

Occasionally these items are posted on the auction house for insane prices, like 1000+ gold, which is generally an insane amount of money.  For ANYTHING.  However, things actually DO sell for that amount.

Oh, BTW, just so you guys dont end up doing this- a really good friend found a really high end drop, and instead of just putting it in the AH he agreed to sell it to somebody he though was a good person, so he sent it COD.  That was two weeks ago.

COD messages will only transfer the money if the person opens the mail and accepts the item, otherwise it will wait, and wait, and wait for the 28 days until it expires before being sent back.  So for all my friend knows, this guy could be lining up buyers for the item or whatever.  It's sad, because people get so goofy and greedy when high end items are involved.  But, I guess its the only way of finding out people of poor character, unfortunately.  No pun intended  Tongue
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 06:09:53 AM »

Purple items are called Epics.

I once sold an Orb of Deception (an item that changes your appearance to one of the opposite faction) for something like 250 gold, so people do buy even stupid things.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 04:46:46 PM »

Now that I understand the color concept, how does farming hurt? People are already buying things at high gold prices and I doubt that everyone buying is purchasing the gold with real cash. I am also sure that there are people/guilds farming for themselves.

As an aside, how exactly does farming work in WoW? Is it just people running around killing things non-stop?
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 06:11:34 PM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
Now that I understand the color concept, how does farming hurt? People are already buying things at high gold prices and I doubt that everyone buying is purchasing the gold with real cash. I am also sure that there are people/guilds farming for themselves.

As an aside, how exactly does farming work in WoW? Is it just people running around killing things non-stop?

Yeah, basically that is it. It hurts in two ways, one is hurting folks that need to get a quest done involving creature X. For example, a few patches ago, a relatively small group of goblins in Stranglethorn Vale dropped a vendor-trash item that sold for a high amount compared to vendor-trash items from mobs of comparable level. The result was that cash farmers (usually much higher level than the mobs) would move and and decimate the goblins, killing them much faster than they could respawn. Unfortunately, these goblins also drop a quest item that you had to collect 10 of. The chances of them dropping the item is not large, so you have to kill quite a few in order to get the 10 you need. So you had folks unable to complete a quest because some high level was slaying the goblins as fast as they would respawn.

The second way it hurts is inflation (or sometimes refered to as "mudflation" as the phenomena started way back at the root of MMOL games, MUDs.). Basically you have lots of currency entering the market and little leaving. Blizzard has introduced some money sinks to help curb this, but it really does little to stop the flood. People just keep accumulating more and more coin. So they will keep paying more and more for items.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 06:44:29 PM »

OK, with the 1st part of the explanation..... I don't think the cash farmers are going to make that much difference for that scenerio. Every MMOG I have played has groups of people doing similiar things regularly and I can't believe that it is only, or even mainly, the cash farmers.....

As to the 2nd thing, I would think that it would actually help the economy...You have people who can't afford item A and don't have the time to invest in it, so they don't buy item A from a vendor. The vendor sells a  lot less of his items and thus can't buy the item B he wanted.

If the same group of people wanting item A bought gold/credits/whatever, then they could help the economy by buying item A off the vendor.

Now, to play devils advocate, there is a possibilty that if everyone buys credits, then the vendors don't need to make/sell the items in the first place, so that could ruin the economy, but a LOT of people would have to be buying credits....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: