http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 06:58:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gears of War Friday Nights Return  (Read 10225 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 03:29:35 PM »

We played 2-3 more matches after you left.  I likes the non-warzone stuff the best.  I thought it was the most intense stuff we did the entire night, but we steered away from it after those two awesome matches.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 03:52:08 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 08, 2008, 02:52:56 PM

(my kids picked the smilies). 

OMG, there are lil Lettuce Spawn running around?  retard

icon_biggrin
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 04:19:51 PM »

In for more tonight if I'm around.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2008, 03:11:32 AM »

There's good chances I'll stick with Gears 2 a heck of a lot longer than I ever stuck with the first one. They've smoothed out some of my bigger problems with MP from the first game. Not that I get much occasion to play with the GT crew, but every once in a great while it seems like the stars align and I actually get into one game or another.

And OT, but:

Quote from: USMC Kato on November 07, 2008, 06:23:26 PM

Sorry, I've been busy getting ready to move our household to good old Fort Knox Kentucky.  However, this is my last week at home and the last time I can play with you guys for a while so of course I went out and got GOW2.  See you guys there tonight.

An early welcome to Kentucky! It's a way better state than most give it credit for, though I'm not sure what exactly's around Fort Knox itself  icon_cool

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2008, 04:19:26 AM »

For the love of all that is holy, would you people PLEASE stop using the 'invite all friends' or whatever is causing me to receive literally 100 invite msgs in a 12 hours period?

this is way more than the occasional 'you should have bought this' nudge that an invite gives on a game that I don't own.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2008, 04:27:56 AM »

Hark: It is very easy to hit the back button by mistake when checking who is online.  The fact that it sends invites to your entire list, including offline folks is annoying as well.

Although I admit I did send one invite to you on purpose.  ninja

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2008, 08:10:31 AM »

Lots of improvements are good. Some obvious ones that should have never made it through QA:

- No stopping power with the shottie. People run through it to chainsaw
- No actual chainsaw lowering when under fire.  It's like the original gears in that you keep the chainsaw revved even if you're shot
- Some of the hit detection is off <I've seen several sniper shots go right through a guys head and not register>
- Sound pops <had them tonight for some reason...>

Anyway. The game is excellent.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2008, 12:05:11 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 09, 2008, 08:10:31 AM

Lots of improvements are good. Some obvious ones that should have never made it through QA:

- No stopping power with the shottie. People run through it to chainsaw
- No actual chainsaw lowering when under fire.  It's like the original gears in that you keep the chainsaw revved even if you're shot
- Some of the hit detection is off <I've seen several sniper shots go right through a guys head and not register>
- Sound pops <had them tonight for some reason...>

Anyway. The game is excellent.

I've had my chainsaw lower when shot.  Also it seems like unless you have an active reload going, you can't do 1 shot kills with the sniper rifle...and even then it has to be a headshot with the active reload.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2008, 05:09:39 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 09, 2008, 04:27:56 AM

Hark: It is very easy to hit the back button by mistake when checking who is online.  The fact that it sends invites to your entire list, including offline folks is annoying as well.

heh, I expect a certain amount of intentional invites to rub it in, just not the incredible number I got slywink
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2008, 05:54:37 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 09, 2008, 05:09:39 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 09, 2008, 04:27:56 AM

heh, I expect a certain amount of intentional invites to rub it in, just not the incredible number I got slywink

smile

It's so easy just to invite everyone...especially if the majority of yoru friends list is playing the game....If you get any from me they won't be digs....well, maybe a little Tongue
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2008, 10:57:58 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 09, 2008, 12:05:11 PM

I've had my chainsaw lower when shot.  Also it seems like unless you have an active reload going, you can't do 1 shot kills with the sniper rifle...and even then it has to be a headshot with the active reload.

I think it might take more fire to stun someone going for the chainsaw, this is to make up for it being harder to get a chainsaw in due to stopping power.

The sniper rifle change was much needed.  Er wait, can you still down someone (not kill) with one shot?  The thing was, the sniper rifle was too powerful since you could down someone pretty easily via active reload.
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2008, 07:12:07 PM »

Yeah. That was really a good time. How long did you guys stay at it?

Still feeling a bit rusty, but the gang was in top form last night. Can't wait to do it again tonight.

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

(my kids picked the smilies).  icon_mrgreen

Not too much longer but we did switch to Horde until we got passed level 10 for one of the best named achievements so far.  I'm not a big fan of Wingman but everything else I like.  And the maps that do things like Hail and Avalanche makes things interesting at times, especially when you dive into cover and find yourself trying to hide from the elements but ended up in a room with 3 players from the opposing side.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2008, 07:19:10 PM »

Quote from: Owain on November 10, 2008, 07:12:07 PM

Yeah. That was really a good time. How long did you guys stay at it?

Still feeling a bit rusty, but the gang was in top form last night. Can't wait to do it again tonight.

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

(my kids picked the smilies).  icon_mrgreen

Not too much longer but we did switch to Horde until we got passed level 10 for one of the best named achievements so far.  I'm not a big fan of Wingman but everything else I like.  And the maps that do things like Hail and Avalanche makes things interesting at times, especially when you dive into cover and find yourself trying to hide from the elements but ended up in a room with 3 players from the opposing side.

Horde was an absolute blast with you guys.  Even though I was getting pretty tired and had more than enough beer it managed to revive me enough to do some lethal damage with the sniper rifle.   icon_twisted

While I may lament the game and on occasion say how much I f-ing hate Gears of War, I always enjoy playing with everyone and can't wait to play again.  Some of the games were really competitive and overall I had a wonderful time playing with everyone.  I love the limited team size and there's just something about being one of the last few standing trying to take on the other team.  The tension and excitement goes up ten-fold.  I look forward to playing again and perhaps I'll take a page out of Fuzzball's book and turn off my mic whenever I feel a train of profanity coming on.   ninja

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »

But the profanity is funny!  At least when it isn't mean spirited.  And it is even better when someone lets loose when you run by them and they want to be revived.  I get tunnel vision sometimes and miss the person crawling around.  I did notice that on one of the Horde levels I left a blood trail halfway across the map trying to find someone to revive me which was cool.

And the fact that it seems to emphasize teamwork for all multi-player levels, is great too.  2+ on 1 and it chances of survival go way down, except for that one round on Hail when whoever it was took out me and Pete (I think) with an ink grenade.  Focused fire makes all the difference in the world and along with the revive feature makes for some interesting strategy.  I know I got at least a couple of kills leaving someone crawling around and luring their teammate in.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2008, 07:59:10 PM »

Quote from: Owain on November 10, 2008, 07:49:06 PM

But the profanity is funny!  At least when it isn't mean spirited.

Whenever I'm swearing it is never meant to be mean spirited or directed at anyone.  I just swear a lot.  And never would I even consider using slurs or personal attacks.  I just have a colorful way of making exclamations.  My wife likes to say, "My husband isn't an asshole, he's just from Philly."  And one thing we do a lot of in Philly is swear.  But I have no animosity toward anyone and I get the impression that the laughing following my outbursts is at my cursing, not at me, and the laughing also suggests to me that people understand not to take me too seriously and at least gain some enjoyment out of my suffering and frustration.  If it were really a problem I doubt people would play MP with me anymore. 

Screaming "whore" or "motherfuckinggoddamnsonofabitchturdmonkeycocksucker" is just my unique way of expressing sentiments like, "Excuse me, sir, but I would like you to know that I was rather impressed with the level of efficiency with which you dispatched my most unfortunate soldier," or "My, that was one well-placed grenade my good friend, jolly good show," or "My goodness, I seem to have inadvertantly stumbled into an opponent's chainsaw.  Dear me, that was quite unfortunate.  Hopefully next round I will have the wherewithal to avoid such an unbecoming incident with such an immediate demise."

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »

It's hard not to swear in good spirits when Calvin comes up on a downed bot that's crawling away, only to have the bot spring to life and beat him in a chainsaw duel!!!!  eek
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2008, 10:55:48 PM »

One of the most hilarious moments of the night was when Pete asked 'Why did I buy this F***X*! game.'

Classic Pete.

Also, classic Calvin too for that matter.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2008, 01:58:45 PM »

Tried to get into public matches last night to no avail.   It had me so frustrated I popped the game and played some Fallout. ahhh fallout.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2008, 03:27:35 PM »

The seriously screwed the pooch on the matchmaking...I don't see how people are playing at all.  I let it sit for 20 minutes and it could not find a match.

Played Horde with Kepow and others last night and it was awesome.  We got to wave 27 before I had to go to sleep. 
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2008, 03:37:56 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 11, 2008, 03:27:35 PM

Played Horde with Kepow and others last night and it was awesome.  We got to wave 27 before I had to go to sleep. 

icon_eek

I want in on the next round of Horde.  I had wanted to play last night but it was Monday Night Football and Dancing With the Stars night.  There just wasn't time to get a game in.  While the wife "needs" to watch the Dancing results show tonight, I don't think that comes on until 8 so I should be able to chainsaw some Hordes until then. 

I can't really guarantee a time I'll be online as it all depends on when I get out of the office and if I'm again cooking dinner tonight or if our house guest will whip something up, but hopefully by 6:30 local (8:30 eastern) I should be online.  But I'll have to log off at 8pm so the wife can watch her show. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2008, 03:39:39 PM »

I thought you were going to be on last night Pete!  I'm so down for more Horde...what an awesome game mode. 
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 11, 2008, 03:39:39 PM

I thought you were going to be on last night Pete!  I'm so down for more Horde...what an awesome game mode. 

I had wanted to play, but the sting from a loss to the Giants was still lingering and so I left work around 2, decided to detail my car as I find it oddly therapeutic, took the dogs to the park, then put together homemade stuffed shells for the wife and her visiting friend (pasta is nice and easy to make vegetarian friendly) which kept me in the kitchen for over an hour of prep time, and by then the Monday Night Football game had started and then Dancing with the Stars shortly after.  I never even had time to turn on my Xbox.

But tonight?  I need to kill me some dirty, dirty hordes.   icon_twisted 

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2008, 03:45:54 PM »

Horde only or regular MP too?

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2008, 03:47:25 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 11, 2008, 03:45:54 PM

Horde only or regular MP too?

I'd be down for either.  It's just that regular MP depends on how many are available to play.  You only need 5 to play Horde, but at least 8 seems to make sense for versus MP. 

If we have enough, a few rounds of killing action sounds like fun if we can put together two teams. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2008, 04:00:01 AM »

I hit the back button tonight when I meant to hit "B". Sorry!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2008, 06:06:30 AM »

Thus far I am not enamored of GOW2 MP.  It's fun, but not uber and I'm not sure how long the legs will be with this one for me, especially given the crappy matchmaking.

I like Wingman very much but calvin and I could only complete one match due to the lag and matchmaking baloney.

We came in 3rd  15, 14, 10 in our first attempt on a map that neither of us knew.  Pretty cool.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »

Well, the turnout wasn't enough to put together a versus game of more than 2 versus 2, so instead we tried a few rounds of Horde.  During the first round 5 of us played on a level with a subway depot in the middle and managed to rack up some impressive points.  The battles were intense and frenetic, and on a number of instances a friend who had stopped by for a minute to see the game in action would simply sit back and shake his head at the unbelievable chaos on-screen.  He was intending to go to a local concert but instead sat and watched two hours of Horde mayhem.  He didn't even want to pick up a controller, he just wanted to watch the action unfold.  Bullets were flying from all directions, explosions riddled the battlefield and shook our viewpoints so that our aim was thrown off, enemies would charge in packs and overwhelm teammates, bricks and concrete were raining down from collateral damage, bodies were being hacked by chainsaws, mortars were raining down like hail, the ground was shaking from boomers coming from all sides, and yet our team held fast and did all we could to repel the enemy.

Later we were down to four but decided to return to Horde on the city level with a hole in the middle (I think it was called something like "Day One").  Our team managed to dominate our way to Wave #20, but then the Locust Horde was just too much and they'd overwhelm us in minutes.  I had a lot of fun playing MP last night and hope that soon we'll be able to get a versus match together again.  Matchmaking just didn't work.  We tried a handful of times and never even got matched up with an opponent.  It was far more efficient to just play Horde.     

EDIT:  Oh, and to those I played with last night, I apologize for not being much of a strategic contributor.  Just as we were beginning our game my neighbor stopped by and while I didn't want to disappoint those who took the time to join my game, I also didn't want to turn him away because I was "too busy" as he's always a welcome guest in our house.  I struggled a bit to maintain both a conversation with him and with our squad, so rather than try to do both at the same time and risk exposing all of you to my ongoing conversation with my neighbor I instead muted my mic altogether.  You guys couldn't hear me not because I wasn't interested in participating, but because I didn't think anyone wanted to near me explain all there is to know about Gears of War to a neighbor who had never heard of it before.  Every so often I'd try to click on my mic to add something to the game, but then I'd turn it off again whenever my neighbor asked a question or if we started talking about something.  I wasn't expecting anyone and so I wasn't ready to handle balancing an online match with hanging out with my neighbor.  But it went ok as he was completely blown away by all he saw on screen.  He got so into the game that he started yelling out warnings to other players even though you couldn't hear him (again, as if he were watching a football game on TV) and he'd occasionally yell out, "Come on, boot stomp him!  BOOT STOMP HIM!"  And any one of my many sniper headshots was met with giddy laughter from both of us.  Splattering locust melons never got old.  I was surprised at just how much fun he had merely watching our game. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:56:31 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2008, 04:26:26 PM »

I have found matchmaking works quite well if you already have a group of 5 together and matches show up quickly.  But if you have to wait on finding people for your team then it takes forever.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2008, 04:28:29 PM »

Epic had something on their forums yesterday that they were looking into those reports, for what it's worth.  Hopefully matchmaking will be up and running soon.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2008, 09:09:53 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 12, 2008, 04:28:29 PM

Epic had something on their forums yesterday that they were looking into those reports, for what it's worth.  Hopefully matchmaking will be up and running soon.

They also say that 'some' people are experiencing it. I think it's closer to everyone is.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2008, 09:49:30 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 10, 2008, 07:59:10 PM

Whenever I'm swearing it is never meant to be mean spirited

Then you're not really taking a page out of Fuzzball's book, he's a real meany slywink

I've been declining invites (intentional or not) because I'm anal about finishing SP.  Now that that's done, I would love to get into some MP although now that I decided to buy COD5, the decision won't always be easy.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2008, 10:09:05 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 12, 2008, 09:49:30 PM

Then you're not really taking a page out of Fuzzball's book, he's a real meany slywink

I've been declining invites (intentional or not) because I'm anal about finishing SP.  Now that that's done, I would love to get into some MP although now that I decided to buy COD5, the decision won't always be easy.

It's funny, but I expected GOW2 to be much bigger on these boards than it is.  Many people have already moved on to COD5....it's odd to me.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2008, 10:21:04 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 12, 2008, 10:09:05 PM

Quote from: skystride on November 12, 2008, 09:49:30 PM

It's funny, but I expected GOW2 to be much bigger on these boards than it is.  Many people have already moved on to COD5....it's odd to me.

If odd = sad.  The "invite all" function is nice from the perspective of someone playing Gears because I don't always know who has the game and sometimes a friend may be playing one game but would be willing to switch over to another (like Gears) if sent an invite.  But, then you have those who don't want to be inundated with invites for a game they don't even have, so I'm left inviting one or two people through the Gears interface and a potential willing participant may be missed if they're playing something else. 

So, do you risk pissing off the masses to attempt to stimulate more interest in Gears?  Or do you accept a poor turnout and risk not finding willing players in an attempt to keep from upsetting those who don't own Gears (or aren't even online)?  After all, how hard is it to ignore an invite?  But I can also see the frustration as we were playing Rock Band 2 on Saturday night and as people were trying to rock out we were receiving numerous invites for Gears.  But we merely turned off notifications and moved on.  No harm done. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2008, 10:44:44 PM »

Considering how huge COD4 was among this group, I don't know how odd it is. I'm kind of curious how GOW2 will make it in the long term. If you read the Epic boards, you'd think the sky is falling. For me, the toning down of the shotgun is a welcome feature. I'd much rather play the game tactically from a distance, instead of mixing it up at close range. Especially since the characters are pretty slow moving. But it seems the large portion of hardcore Gears fans are used to the close-in battles.

I was mentioning to Lettuce that this is part of the reason I am a much bigger fan of Warzone than Execution. Execution requires you to be good at close quarters fights. Plus, now that you can stick grenades into the walls, you'll see people literally standing in a corner expecting you to run over to them and trip their grenade, which you'll be required to do if you don't have one of the one-shot weapons. So, on the one hand, the developers tried to do some things to discourage CQC (stopping power, reduced shotgun power), but put in a bunch of modes where you absolutely have to go close quarters to finish someone off.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2008, 05:12:12 AM »

I legitimately may be done with Gears MP already.

Had another frustrating night of glitching, lag, bad matchmaking and mediocre play from yours truly.

Calvin and I were competitive in all 4 of our wingman matches, but I can say without exaggeration that lag cost us in the neighborhood of 8 kills across those same four matches and cost us a W in one.

It's just not worth the frustration.

This combined with my lack of desire to get good at SOCOM makes me wonder if I'm moving back away from MP gaming in favor of SP...
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2008, 04:12:38 PM »

Tonight I'm shooting pool with Moliere in my neverending quest to finally defeat him and earn myself a new cue, but following our game I should be home around 8pm and hope to fire up Gears of War 2 as the wife is going out with some friends and I'll be left to my own devices with a fridge full of beer (I have to wonder if my fridge ever isn't full of beer - I guess at the close of my typical Friday night, but then it's usually replenished the following day). 

Anyone up for versus MP?  I'll check interest when I get home, and if there isn't any then I may just get back into Mass Effect or Fallout 3 (or maybe Force Unleased as I downloaded the new skins that allow me to play as Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan, etc).  But Gears MP is certainly preferable.  8pm Arizona = 7pm Pacific, 8pm Mountain, 9pm Central, 10pm Eastern.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »

I may be willing to give it another go if we can get a crew together.  FO3 is really calling my name though...
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2008, 04:24:45 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 14, 2008, 04:19:34 PM

I may be willing to give it another go if we can get a crew together.  FO3 is really calling my name though...

Every time I see the lunchbox and bobblehead staring back at me from my game shelf the game calls to me, but I usually play a lot of SP games when no one else is online, or on a Saturday or Sunday morning when I'm awake with the dogs for a number of hours before my wife comes downstairs.  But my biggest reason for focusing on games like Gears for MP now instead of later is because its popularity is already waning and I want to get my MP fix in before interest drops completely off the map.  I can play Fallout 3 anytime I want, but Gears of War MP interest will not last forever, and when it comes to MP you're at the mercy of the interest of the group.  No matter how much I may want to play MP, it does me no good if no one else wants to play.   

Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2008, 06:18:37 PM »

As always send me an invite no matter what I am playing.  In fact if they are online,  I might be able to pull in 1 or 2 of my coworkers if we need more people, since I have been begging them to play some Gears MP with me.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2008, 08:29:03 PM »

Just got paid, looking to pick this up tonight if you guys are playing, otherwise will take a look at other games this week.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: