http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:49:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funniest/Craziest MMO Moment  (Read 2259 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2008, 06:12:40 AM »

So, whats your most fun/crazy/interesting MMO experience ?

The reason I was thinking about this, was Reemul talking about Vanguard last night, and what he saw - some monster walking through town near him, huuuuge, filling up his whole monitor - definitely a WOW (not to be confused with WoW) moment!

One of the most interesting things I had happen to me in an MMO, was in the open beta for Age of Conan, when first I'd been trying to go up some stairs in Aquilonia, but kept sinking into the ground. So, I looked around a bit,and tried talking with the various NPCs around the area...well, one of them appearently wasn't taking it anymore, for he did his superman thing, and just flew off up into the air at a crazy speed! Now THAT was a LOL moment...

In Vanguard, first time I took the "fog" off, allowing me to see great distances, climbing off a mountainroad, and seeing the grand city of Khal for the first time, with its huge statues, incredible harbour area and then realizing that WOW - I can actually go there, and it will look like that..its just not scenery.... a great moment!

so - whats your most wow MMO moments?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 06:21:07 AM »

the first time I took a bat ride in WoW.  Runner up would be the boat ride at the beginning of EQ2 when it first came out.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:21:23 AM »

My earliest one was in my very first MMO, EQ1. Frustrated and bored with the game, and not understanding what the fuss was about after killing rats in Freeport for hours, I hopped on the boat. When the thing set sail and I realized I was actually traveling to another continent, with other people, all of whom were talking and sharing information, the entire MMO "virtual world" concept just clicked for me. It was like a complete "oh...my...god..." moment.

One of the best recent moments happened just the other night in Age of Conan. I was in Tesso and getting ganked repeatedly by this jackass who would wait until I talked to an NPC before backstabbing me. If I didn't die and started to get the upper hand, he'd run and jump in the water where I couldn't get to him. This went on for 5 or 6 kills, so I finally asked my guild if there was anyone in the area that could assist.

A few minutes later, in comes 6 level 70+ guildmates. They beat the poor guy so bad he finally logged off. Ahhh to have friends in high places!  icon_twisted
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 02:15:08 PM »

My first 'costume contest' in City of Heroes.  Seeing some of these heroes dressed up like chickens and naming themselves things like "Keep-On-Clucking" just made me laugh out loud at my computer monitor.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 02:59:33 PM »

It's an Age of Conan dismounting bug, but the first time that I dismounted while in combat, my mount fell through the ground, and I couldn't get off of the mount. So instead I glided around the ground (a legless torso gliding along the ground, you couldn't see the horse), unable to attack, while various bad guys attacked me. If I had been drinking milk, I would've sprayed it out at my nose at the sight.  icon_lol

I nicknamed the bug, "The Screaming Torso," though it reminds me quite a bit of the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail ("it's just a scratch!"):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno (NSFW, due to comical blood spray)

Now of course it's just annoying. My understanding is that if you're in "mounted combat mode," get attacked, and then try to dismount, this often happens  icon_razz)

====================
Craziest for me would probably be two things in City of Heroes:
* The end of the Eden Trial (L39-41) in City of Heroes, where you have the option to release various NPC heroes from their glass cages (so to speak), who then proceed to go completely ape sh** and attack everything in sight, turning the whole trial crazy (though you can also use them to your benefit, up to a point).  icon_cool

* The climax of the terrific Hess Task Force (Striga Isle, about 27-32, if I remember it), where everyone needs to escape the Council's giant robot facility before it blows. I had one case where I got out exactly as the timer ended.

I would say the Sunday night in 2006 that a supergroup friend and I did the Hess TF with a pickup group only to find it taking us more than 6 hours to complete (going to sleep about 5 a.m. Monday and then trying to into work that day, not recommended) was also memorably crazy on top of the TF's climax being crazy to begin with.  icon_twisted
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 03:02:50 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 06:11:04 PM »

years ago I was running for upland to pvp for the gazillionth time in DAOC, and just running and guild chatting and not paying attention and I ended up stuck in the mountains in a very out of the way place.  So as I was getting myself back on track, I stumbled across two players practicing hardcore sex roleplaying, and they were using "local chat" so I heard a minute or two of it. and what they were trying to emote etc  MYGOD  saywhat  kinda disturbing and funny at the same time.  More disturbing though
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:17:17 PM »

Back in the very early days of Asheron's Call. Back when death stung (item drop (a *lot* of items), no rezzing as a ghost, no nice little pointer to where your corpse was...believe me, dying alone was a *bitch* if you wanted your stuff back)

A higher level buddy of mine (actually, he's my wife's uncle and a good friend) took me to the Dires (nasty place). I was way underlevel for the area, but we had a blast hunting together. Finally time to head back to civilization so we park in a pretty safe spot so he could summon a portal for us to take back. Unfortunately, he cast "Portal Recall" instead of "Summon Portal" and he disappears back to the last portal he went through.

He sends me an "Oh, shit, bro! I'm sorry" while I'm laughing my ass off. It was a long, long run through nasty, nasty critters back to safety. That was 8, 9 years ago and we still laugh about it.

I'm sure this is a had-to-be-there type of funny though.  icon_lol

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 06:18:22 PM »

Not an experience i had personally, but one that Mr. Fed posted about years ago on OO.  It was a link to a discussion thread on an EQ2 forum concerning someone who'd had "cyber sex" with another character in his virtual dwelling in the game...without noticing that he'd left the room open to everyone and that a stealthed rogue character snuck in and had taken many, many screenshots of the whole incident.  The chat dialog was also on display in the thread.  

I remember laughing my ass off for about 2 days over that one.  Reading through the guy's protestations about what REALLY happened was comedy gold.   icon_lol

edit:  wow, somethingawful.com still has the story .
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:23:11 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 06:42:08 PM »

I ran across some folks cybersexing in Star Wars Galaxies one time. There was a player house out in the middle of the desert, so I decided to pop my head in and check it out. Well, apparently he had public access turned on because I was able to walk right in....to a scene similar to that described above. Yikes. The guy got pissed at me for interrupting his "session."  icon_lol
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 08:30:21 PM »

The one time I took a plane to visit a girl in Calgary, Alberta I met playing FFXI.

Good times...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 01:36:50 AM »

Back in the EQ1 days I had a lan party at my house.  We spent a few hours going down very deep into a dungeon somewhere in Kunark (forget which one).  Our group went into a hallway pulled some mobs and had the fight of our lives.  It was a pretty big spawn.  We fought them all off but survived by the skin of our teeth.  Almost everyone was out of mana, and low on HP.  We sat down to rest and BOOM my DSL goes out.  It stays down for half an hour.  The entire group starts freaking out cause we know when we do get back on we'll be at the bottom of a dungeon half dead and all the creatures will have respawned.  Keep in mind in EQ when you died you dropped your entire set of gear on your corpse.  And we were at the BOTTOM of the dungeon.  2-3 hour corpse run easily. 

The DSL came back up and we logged back in.  Sure enough we were jumped on immediately by the mobs that spawned.  Everyone played their characters to perfection and somehow we all survived it. It was definitely a major oh shit battle lol.   It went down as one of the most memorable moments for me in an MMO and our group still talks about it to this day.   

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 03:58:24 AM »

without all the boring details here it goes.

basically i usually play a female character in mmo's. this kid who was like 13 thought i really was. i told him, i'm a guy. i then made the mistake(at the time) of telling some friends about this. well one of them tells this guy that i was kidding and i'm shy. oh great, the fun began then. for like 2 weeks he kept messaging. eventually i just played again. got his email address and told him i'd send him a pic, we just sent a random google image from a fake gmail account. about 2 days later we ended up getting his phone number, lol. some guild mate calls and does this horrible girl voice. he's playing it over vent and the entire conversation was hilarious. unfortuntely something went wrong with the recording and we lost the whole thing.

that thing would've been internet infammy.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 04:24:09 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on July 03, 2008, 02:15:08 PM

My first 'costume contest' in City of Heroes.  Seeing some of these heroes dressed up like chickens and naming themselves things like "Keep-On-Clucking" just made me laugh out loud at my computer monitor.

I won a costume contest in the early days of CoH!  I can't remember the name of the character, but he was decked out in a very old-fashioned hero getup, brown leather buckled up the legs, goggles--kind of evoking the feeling of the Rocketeer.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 07:02:31 AM »

WoW

I saw a guy get on the flight path by SWIMMING through the air towards the manticore, and then swimming towards me for a split second before the flying mount appeared under him and jerked him back into the normal flight path riding position.

The runner up would be experiencing the flight path mount speed on foot glitch way back when.
If you started spamming totem drops as a shammy right before the flight path mount landed, it would glitch up and let you keep the speed while on foot.
It was fun outrunning people on mounts while running BACKWARDS...

Gonna eat your face
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 08:14:21 AM »

I just remembered!! In WoW, you could raid the Trolls' gods, cant for the life of me remember his name, at lvl 60 - when we fought one specific boss, he would suddenly yell DING! and the troll god would yell back "GRATS"  icon_biggrin I doubled over in laughter first time I saw that!

funny thing is, on the RP server I played, he was reported for speaking Out of Character, and it had to be removed :-D now THAT is hilarious!

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »

My biggest one, short of playing EQ1 back in the days before maps, before all the 'best places to go' blurbs popped up, etc, was when the Velious expansion first came out.

At that time, I had decided to create a Vah Shir (like everybody else). Problem was, was that it was no fun starting over again with the n00b weapons and armor and such. So I stocked up on some items on my Bard, and with absolutely no directions, made my way up to their homeland. As I remember, I was the absolutely first person that wasn't a Vah Shir at their starting town on my server.

So I celebrated by crafting Banded Armor for some of the n00bs, taking screenshots (back then, the graphic jump was amazing!), and eventually dropping my items onto the floor in some building far away from everybody else and logging in with an alt to grab them.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 03:51:29 AM »

I was playing SWG (funny by itself, but anyway) and working up towards the Gunslinger title. Anyway, a group was assembling saying that a rumor was a Dark Jedi had been spotted in the swamps and they wanted to go whoop his ass. Sure! Why not? I hop on board, LFG all the way, and off we got deep into the swamp... on foot. Recall, this would be when it came out, i.e. six months before anyone thought to put fucking vehicles in a STAR WARS GAME.

Ahem.

We get to this small set of islands out in the bog and no one sees anything. Then someone shouts, "Hey, what's that?" We all turn and look and this guy who looks like Darth Maul is swimming towards us. Then someone (not me) takes a pot shot at him. All hell breaks loose. This cat jumps out of the water, whips out a red lightsaber, and goes. to. town. He took down two guys right off who were standing near the water's edge and the rest of us just opened fire. Probably 20 or so people blasting away. He managed to take down two more people before all the combined firepower brought him crashing down. It was an epic battle and we laughed.

Then I turned around.

Apparently right behind us was a spawn of these giant dinosaur looking monster things that were herbivores since they sort of lumbered along minding their own business. Being the nitwit I am, I figured since they had a green icon above their heads, then their size wouldn't matter and I could take them. So I opened fire.

If I thought hell broke loose before, oh no. Not by a long shot. About three seconds later, four more of these monstrous buggers spawned and everyone was blasting in every which direction. Dinosaurs were dropping, people were dying, my friend and I were back to back blasting at these things fighting for our lives. Epic struggle. Finally, we managed to defeat the monsters and the 30 man team that went into the swamps was now a 9 man team.

Too bad the rest of the game was an epic fail because that was fun.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 08:03:53 PM »

Back in my mudding days I was a helacious little rapscallion.

So I'm on my storage character and a few of my clannies came down from canada to visit.  So we are all sitting in a computer lab shooting the shit while mudding.  Well suddenly one of the other clans leader attacks me in the middle of going to a meeting with my clan leader and the pkill god.   I"m literally using stuff to get my strength up, like wearing storage thimbles.  So I'm chugging heals holding him off when the rest of my clannies show up and this guy gets 3 or 4 seconds before he's dead.  I get the killing blow and it's full loot so suddenly my EQ got noticeably better in a lot of areas.

It may be the only time in history a storage char has dropped a clan leader.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 09:21:36 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 04, 2008, 08:14:21 AM

I just remembered!! In WoW, you could raid the Trolls' gods, cant for the life of me remember his name, at lvl 60 - when we fought one specific boss, he would suddenly yell DING! and the troll god would yell back "GRATS"  icon_biggrin I doubled over in laughter first time I saw that!

Bloodlord Mandokir

Ding!

"Grats!" yells Jin'do the Hexxer. The Bloodlord has one more very tricky thing. When you die, he gains experience. Three deaths will level him, making him hit harder, take less physical damage, and grow in size. If this happens more than a couple times, it will almost certainly be a wipe. Try not to let this happen. It is fairly easy to tell when he levels, as he has the same animation as a normal character will when he or she levels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: