http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 09:57:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First night of WoW. Awesome  (Read 5037 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2004, 02:40:38 PM »

So this is what happened last night. I created my account, spent 20 minutes creating my Night Elf Hunter named Eco then joined the world. I had every intention joining Almost Heroes last night. I wanted to at least do one question before doing that though so I had an idea what to expect. I did the tutorial quest of kill x boars and x baby night sabres and 3 hours later I was a level 5 Hunter who had forgotten you're to send Rage a tell and lost track of time completely. So I went to sleep.

I had a great time last night though. At first I wasn't totally sure, but once I figured things out things really kicked into gear. I accepted a quest to go near the entrance of the cave north of the starting location (for night elves) and there were level 4 spiders everywhere. Luckily I found a level 5 warrior there who wanted to go into the cave and told me he would help me get to the quest person outside the cave if I would go into the cave with him. We decided to go into the cave first. It was infested with spiders. Pretty tough on my weak little level 2 butt, but we made it through. Later that night I had a quest to go in there myself and steal and egg. At that time I think I was around level 3 so it would be close. I thought what the heck, I'll try it before bed and if I die I die. When I went in there were 2 others going in so I didn't really get attacked much. As soon as I started to steal and egg though, the mammoth spider came after me. I fell down a hole and was cornered by 4 spiders and my health was as low as it had ever been. Some how I managed to run away from them all, regroup and go get my egg.

Anyway, I look forward to playing with you guys. I should get to work now!

Wake up.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 03:32:54 PM »

Oh my friend...  you ain't seen nothin' yet !

Enjoy!

What date is the wedding again?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 04:26:23 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Oh my friend...  you ain't seen nothin' yet !

Enjoy!

What date is the wedding again?

LD

April 2nd!  smile  I better get some good gaming in before then eh?

Wake up.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 04:32:39 PM »

After the wedding, well, things change.  slywink

Get as much gaming in as you can!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 04:56:18 PM »

Prepare to say goodbye to life as you know it.

And the Hunter is extremely fun to play.  I just hit Lvl 17 and feel like I'm just beginning the fun.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 05:29:52 PM »

Rogue is the class for me, and this game has sucked me in completely.  I love it man!!!!  I have a lvl 28 Undead Rogue on Bronzebeard.  I haven't been this attached to a game in a long time.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 05:36:36 PM »

Hunter is my favorite class - but the Night Elf starting area is by far my least favorite area in the game.

Once you take the boat off that God-forsaken island, the game will really pick up!
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 05:39:14 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Prepare to say goodbye to life as you know it.

And the Hunter is extremely fun to play.  I just hit Lvl 17 and feel like I'm just beginning the fun.

I really like the hunter so far.  I just got the Essense of the Monkey or whatever it's called.  I've trained all the skills in the starting area and just accepted a quest taking me out of that area.  Where do you hang out warning?  I'm going to join AH soon so I'm sure i'll be playing with many of you anyway, but I'm curious where you would recommend me to go as a low level hunter.  

Also, I haven't picked a profession yet but I would like to do that as well.  What would you recommend?  I would like to make some money off it of course.  And I would like to fish but I don't know where the trainer is.  

Can't wait to play more!

Wake up.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 05:47:04 PM »

but I'm curious where you would recommend me to go as a low level hunter.

Follow all of the quests, they are pretty good at pointing you along.  There are a ton of quests in your first town that you get to, Donaleer or something.  I wouldn't leave the island (Tendrassil) you are on till you are level 10 and have a pet (you leave via boat or Griffon so it is very obvious).  

I'd recommened choosing a tradeskill as soon as you can from Donaleer, and also taking cooking and first aid.  As a hunter, skinning/leathermaking is a good choice, but so are the others like herbalism/alchemy.  Leathermaking will keep you in armor, and alchemy will let you have more healing potions.  You can sell at the auction house for both of these, but I think you'll make more money auctioning various weapon and armor drops.  

I'd recommend buying a good bow if you can.  I forget if you are offered one through the many quests, but you can probably at least double your damage with a better one, the same with a new melee weapon.  

(Sorry if I mangled town names)

---
XBox Live: ScottW
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 06:45:25 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
 Where do you hang out warning?  I'm going to join AH soon so I'm sure i'll be playing with many of you anyway, but I'm curious where you would recommend me to go as a low level hunter.  

Also, I haven't picked a profession yet but I would like to do that as well.  What would you recommend?  I would like to make some money off it of course.  And I would like to fish but I don't know where the trainer is.  

I hung around the starting area and Teledrassil until I ran out of quests.  Then I went to Darkshore and hung around Auberdine till I was level 15 or so.  I got tired of it so I took the boat to the Eastern Continent and I'm around Loch Modan now.  But I'm lvl 17 so take your time before you end up here.

I chose herbalism/alchemy as my profession.  Can't sell crap with it but I'm decked out in potions all the time and that's nice.  For making $$ you might go with skinning/leatherworking.

Fishing is fun for me but others think its worse than watching grass grow or paint dry.  You'll find the fishing trainer in the main Night Elf city Teledrassil on a dock in the center part of town.

Once you hit level 10 and can get a pet Hunters really take off in the fun category.  Once you join AH, let me know and I'll send you potions and spare armor, etc that I find.  

Hope all that helps!
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 07:31:08 PM »

Great info guys.  On my lunch break today I made it to Donaleer (actually had 2 quests asking me to go there).  I completed those quests and accepted a new quest there.  I’ll try and pick a profession (great info here!) while I’m near Donaleer.  I died today for the first time.  I was on the outskirts of the city fighting some level 5 and level 6 demon looking things.  I’m still level 5 but I wasn’t have any trouble at all.  I then spotted a level 8 Nightsabre.  I thought what the heck I might as well try.  My first 3 bow shots missed completely, then it went down hill.  So Now I’m a ghost and I had to return to work.  What would be my best option?  Run to my corpse, or use one of the other methods.  

I received a new bow from a quest in the starting town where I went into the cave to get a spider egg.  It seems decent and is a lot better than the one I started with.

Wake up.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 07:57:39 PM »

Once you get a pet a three level difference is no trouble at all. In fact, when soloing, even cons will seem too easy. Once you get a pet smile
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 08:01:18 PM »

I chose herbalism/alchemy as my profession.  Can't sell crap with it but I'm decked out in potions all the time and that's nice.  For making $$ you might go with skinning/leatherworking.

Agreed (as I am selling healing potions (10-30silver a stack), greater healing potions (60silver a stack), and Elixers of Defense (60-75sp for 2 potions) as fast as i can make them). I got 12 gold saved up right now and spend 2 gold on expert manuals for cooking and fishing and a 3+ gold on alchemy recipes. Not too shabby i would say.

Fishing is fun for me but others think its worse than watching grass grow or paint dry.  You'll find the fishing trainer in the main Night Elf city Teledrassil on a dock in the center part of town.

If you are taking up cooking then fishing is a "must have" in my opinion. It makes bringing up cooking 100 times easier. You can get to 180 or so in cooking strictly off fish and make a lot of cash off stuff you pull up.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but if you want a cat for a pet as a hunter, you need to keep him fed with fish. So another reason to consider fishing.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 08:01:48 PM »

Quote from: "zinckiwi"
Once you get a pet a three level difference is no trouble at all. In fact, when soloing, even cons will seem too easy. Once you get a pet smile

but be careful!

one thing I love about this game is that it's really hard to tell if you'll be able to solo a creature based on the old "only 1 or two levels above possible" rule that applies to almost all MMORPG's.  At 20 I solo'd a 23 beast last night...just barely, but I did it.  Then I turned around and got slaughtered by a 21 due to the fact that the creature had a ton of immunities to my best attacks...something I wasn't aware of.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 08:19:45 PM »

Eco -  Regarding dying.  Honestly, the difference is not that big as far as I'm concerned.  As an Elf though, "running" back to your corpse is pretty fast - so I suggest that.

NOTE:  Wherever you are "standing" when you agree to resurrect is where you will come back to life....  

This is important because you have some lee-way as to where you rez.  Therefore, make sure (if you decided to run back to your body) that you find a nice clear area, free of bad guys, to come back to life.  When you rez, you will not be at 100% health, so you want to make sure you are safe.  As an Elf, you can immediately Shadowmeld when you rez also... which grants some level of safety while you heal... but not total safety.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2004, 08:24:31 PM »

NOTE:  Wherever you are "standing" when you agree to resurrect is where you will come back to life....

really?  i had no idea.  i just assumed you had to be a certain distance from your body before coming back to life.  wow, this is great info.  thanks!
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2004, 08:41:06 PM »

Quote from: "none"

really?  i had no idea.  i just assumed you had to be a certain distance from your body before coming back to life.  wow, this is great info.  thanks!

Thats what he is saying. When you get within a "certain distance" of your dead corpse, a message pops up say asking "ressurect?". You can press the button at any time and you will become "alive" at that spot where you clicked "yes" to the ressurect pop-up box.

Of course this does not apply if someone cast ressurection on your corpse. If they do that you get ressed back to where the caster of the res is standing.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004, 08:46:48 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"

Agreed (as I am selling healing potions (10-30silver a stack), greater healing potions (60silver a stack), and Elixers of Defense (60-75sp for 2 potions) as fast as i can make them). I got 12 gold saved up right now and spend 2 gold on expert manuals for cooking and fishing and a 3+ gold on alchemy recipes. Not too shabby i would say.

Toe, so you're being sarcastic right, you seem to be making a ton of bank from selling potions.

Wake up.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2004, 08:53:56 PM »

Toe, so you're being sarcastic right, you seem to be making a ton of bank from selling potions.

Only after a while.  I can start selling lesser healing poitions for 2-3 silver for a stack, maybe higher if I tried.  Not bad at my level.  It'll take a while though.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2004, 09:00:56 PM »

I'm doing ok money with Alchemy/Herbalism.  Thing is some of the herbs are a REAL hassle to find.  Not uncommom for me to spend 2 hours finding the herbs I need to make one stack to sell for 50s.  So I make money, but very slowly.

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2004, 09:04:03 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

Yeah, i was. smile

But, as noted, the lower level ones do not sell that great. Atleast it appears that way from looking at the available potions at the auction house on my server. I see a ton of minor potions out there, so obviously they are not selling well.

What sells now for me are the higher level healing potions and the potions (like Elixer of Defense) needed in other craft's recipes. I do not know what item needs Elixers of Defense, but it must be decent cause I am selling them like hot-cakes. Of course I do undercut whoever has some on the auction house. Hehe.

A guy had like 7 stacks of Elixer's of defense for 50 silver and 1 gold buy-out. I put mine up for 40 silver and 75 silver buyout and made mega-cash. smile. Eventually he lowered his prices, which I undercut again. Hehe.

If I look on the auction house and do not see any healing or greather healing potions, I will make some up and put 2 stacks on there. Stuff usually goes pretty quick like that.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2004, 09:07:09 PM »

With Skinning/Leatherworking, it seems that the main benefit would be that as a hunter you can where what you make.  I've heard that people make a lot of money skinning too, is that the case?

Wake up.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2004, 09:15:16 PM »

I love underbidding someone else.  Invariably you will sell what you want to, assuming there is at least some demand.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2004, 10:51:28 PM »

You can make a lot of money skinning (selling leather to leatherworkers) but you don't make much as a leatherworker. Leather armor is only used by a few classes (many of which are leatherworkers also) and you'll be lucky to sell anything other than leather ammo pouches and quivers at least through the early to middle stages of leatherworking. Medium armor kits are in high demand but take a very large amount of leather to make and don't sell for much at all.

You can keep yourself in decent leather armor, however, so that's a big place. If money is your biggest interest as a crafter then go with 2 of the gathering skills.  Skinning can give you a pretty steady income and I expect that herbalism and mining give some decent returns also as you sell supplies to the crafters struggling to gather the resources they need to get 1 more point in their crafting skill.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2004, 11:24:44 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but if you want a cat for a pet as a hunter, you need to keep him fed with fish. So another reason to consider fishing.

My kitty eats meat or fish - so fishing isn't necessary as long as you save the meat from boars and other critters you kill.

I have no skill in fishing and I've never come close to running out of food (level 20 Dwarf hunter)
Andy22
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2004, 11:48:12 PM »

For all you Rogues...what are some good professional choices for my soon to be created Night Elf Rogue? Functionality for my rogue is just as important as the income it will generate.

Thanks!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2004, 01:35:26 PM »

Andy - Personally, and this is just opinion, I think Herbalism/Alchemy for a rogue.

The rogue already does some insanely sick damage.  Put some homemade defense, agility, strength potions on yourself, and wow, what a machine you become.  Plus you get to make that Thief Tea stuff.

And, if you get in over your head, you got the healing potions to use in a pinch.

Leatherworker is an option, but I say Nah... just buy it at the auction houses.  :wink:

Now what I don't know (but I am sure a high level rogue does) is how making your own poisons works.  If this skill is also related to the alchemy line, then I think it becomes a no-brainer.  But it may be a completely different set of skills.

LD

LD

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2004, 02:14:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure poison isn't related to herbalim or alchemy at all. However, it is related to thistle tea, which is like insta-energy for rogues.

My rogue is mining/engineering, mostly just for kicks. I like it a lot so far, there's a bunch of neat utility objects to use and lots of explosives of course.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2004, 07:33:02 PM »

My first day should be coming in 2 weeks...woohoo!  Oh well, all of you will be well beyond me when I start.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2004, 07:35:51 PM »

Quote from: "Koz"
My rogue is mining/engineering, mostly just for kicks. I like it a lot so far, there's a bunch of neat utility objects to use and lots of explosives of course.

i would think that engineering would be a good skill for a rogue to have mainly because you can make and use those goggles that allow you to see stealthed characters, which would be very handy in pvp.  and who better to fight a stealthed character than a stealther?  smile
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2004, 07:48:16 PM »

Quote from: "none"

i would think that engineering would be a good skill for a rogue to have mainly because you can make and use those goggles that allow you to see stealthed characters, which would be very handy in pvp.  and who better to fight a stealthed character than a stealther?  smile

A hunter with track hidden. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2004, 07:54:01 PM »

sssh!  that's a hunter's secret!  smile
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2004, 08:04:20 PM »

Flare is a good one for Hunters vs Stealth also. I truly look forward to the day in PVP when a stealthed rogue shows up on my track hidden and I fire off a flare to reveal him and stick a big ol' hunter's mark bobbing above his head. Watching him scurry around in panic as he becomes the focus of attention for every ally in the vicinity...

biggrin

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2004, 08:17:45 PM »

The whole idea of a shadow war going on in the fringes where rogues are trying to approach an area and hunters are leading parties around the area trying to protect the masses against stealthers... mmmm.  biggrin

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2004, 09:16:59 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Flare is a good one for Hunters vs Stealth also. I truly look forward to the day in PVP when a stealthed rogue shows up on my track hidden and I fire off a flare to reveal him and stick a big ol' hunter's mark bobbing above his head. Watching him scurry around in panic as he becomes the focus of attention for every ally in the vicinity...

biggrin

Unless that rogue is not a stealth-based rogue, which many aren't. Of course then he probably wouldn't be stealthed in the first place either. Rogues are good at running anyways  smile
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2004, 09:44:11 PM »

biggrin

Unless that rogue is not a stealth-based rogue, which many aren't. Of course then he probably wouldn't be stealthed in the first place either. Rogues are good at running anyways  smile

Yeah stealth is neat for soloing, but most all of my talent points are in combat, with a few in assassination.  I have none in stealth.  Hell, I found a sword so good (that requires to be held in main hand) that I don't even have access to some of my Rogue abilities, since they require daggers in main hand.

I also regularily group with Warriors, and I'll tell you this:  I deal way more damage than they do, even with me at the same level or below.  Watch out for Rogues, yo!  biggrin
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2004, 09:46:39 PM »

I'm pretty sure poison isn't related to herbalim or alchemy at all. However, it is related to thistle tea, which is like insta-energy for rogues.

Poison is an ability you get after completing a Rogue specific quest.  Any Rogue can learn it, as long as they complete the quest.  

Thistle Tea is a cosumable that instantly gives you 100 Energy.  It's also an item that you can learn how to make when your cooking gets to level 60.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2004, 09:49:18 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"

biggrin

Yeah stealth is neat for soloing, but most all of my talent points are in combat, with a few in assassination.  I have none in stealth.  Hell, I found a sword so good (that requires to be held in main hand) that I don't even have access to some of my Rogue abilities, since they require daggers in main hand.

I also regularily group with Warriors, and I'll tell you this:  I deal way more damage than they do, even with me at the same level or below.  Watch out for Rogues, yo!  biggrin

No denying rogues can give a beating, but they sure can't take much of one.  Kick 'em in the nuts and they go down. biggrin

s

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: