http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 11:23:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/PS3] Final Fantasy XIV (Characters/Servers in first post)  (Read 40486 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: September 02, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 02, 2013, 08:35:59 AM

Kotaku Article on the Launch

From an unfinished mess that no one wanted to play to a highly-polished gem that nobody can access in just under three years. Way to relaunch, Square Enix.
icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 02, 2013, 11:20:42 AM »

East Coast America-(GMT-4)
Tuesday September 3rd 8pm until 6am September 4th

sweet, won't have time to play then anyways.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 02, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »

Quote from: Fez on September 02, 2013, 04:33:24 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 01, 2013, 08:49:58 PM

<sigh> been thinking about what to do with this game since I started getting the BSOD's Friday night and having to deal with the clusterfuck that is their tech support forum. The BSOD only happens with FF14, so somewhere somehow the client has to be doing something Windows 7 doesn't like.  the only problem is I cannot tell what may have changed.  I don't think there were any updates to FF14 on Friday, and I haven't updated anything on my PC in at least a week.

at this point I at least got my $20 worth out of the game with at least 20 hours of playtime over the past week, so walking away from it won't mean a loss in terms of cost versus time spent.  of course I could probably see most of the story in the remaining free time I have left, but that is only if I can actually get in to play.  Plus in 16 days GTA5 hits, and I'm thinking I won't even look at FF14 for awhile after that.

I've gotten a few BSODs recently in game.  Happens randomly.  I'm playing on 5870M cards in Crossfire with the latest beta drivers (13.8 version) on Windows 7 64-bit.  Strangely, it seems to happen in areas of high population--maybe the game is trying to render something odd?  Turning off anti-aliasing seemed to reduce the frequency, but it is still happening.

possibly, don't think I have it set to render stuff I cannot see though.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 02, 2013, 03:20:02 PM »

are you kidding me? I STILL cannot log in???!?!? I cant even start the damn game because the lobby connection is gone...

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 02, 2013, 03:23:58 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 02, 2013, 03:20:02 PM

are you kidding me? I STILL cannot log in???!?!? I cant even start the damn game because the lobby connection is gone...

well at least with that you don't have the disappointment of selecting a character and being told the world is full, try again later.  see?  silver lining! slywink

FF14:  it's a grind just to get into the lobby!

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 02, 2013, 08:38:20 PM »

From an unfinished mess that no one wanted to play to a highly-polished gem that nobody can access in just under three years. Way to relaunch, Square Enix.

That's what kills me.  It's not very often a company gets a chance to do a mea culpa on a bad game.  They did a fantastic job of redesigning the actual game, but I expect they will lose a ton of interested players because this launch has been such a disaster. 

I've been trying off and on all day today, and still no success.  It usually can't even find the NA/EU servers any more.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 02, 2013, 09:09:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 02, 2013, 11:20:14 AM

Quote from: Razgon on September 02, 2013, 10:21:48 AM

I like to fog - its very nice!

I actually enjoy all kinds of weather in this game. The heavy rains looks and feels very nice.

yeah, I love thunderstorms in game.

Personally, I'd like to see more games actually model that effect.  If you're out wandering in a tsunami, it should affect your stamina at the very least, if not your overall health.  Just as wandering a desert at high noon isn't advisable.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 02, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 02, 2013, 08:38:20 PM

That's what kills me.  It's not very often a company gets a chance to do a mea culpa on a bad game.  They did a fantastic job of redesigning the actual game, but I expect they will lose a ton of interested players because this launch has been such a disaster. 

I've been trying off and on all day today, and still no success.  It usually can't even find the NA/EU servers any more.

Feeling dry in SWToR again. Probably my last return to it. Checking this thread out, and boredom leading the way I went to buy it online. No digital downloads allowed at this time.
Bah...But for the company, what a nice predicament to be in............or not.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: September 02, 2013, 09:47:44 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 02, 2013, 09:42:26 PM

Feeling dry in SWToR again. Probably my last return to it. Checking this thread out, and boredom leading the way I went to buy it online. No digital downloads allowed at this time.

My advice for anyone who is interested:  wait a month or so before even thinking about joining.  FF XIV is a very good game, but until they get these server issues sorted out, it's not worth the aggravation at all.  If/when they get things running smoothly, it's going to be a blast.  Until then, stay far, far away...it's just an exercise in frustration.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #849 on: September 03, 2013, 12:45:28 AM »

Just as a counterpoint, I bought it Friday evening and have had a blast with it. Yes I have been on a different server from everyone I know and getting in can be a pain, but the game is worth it in my opinion. Once they get the login issues squared away, it will be even better. My only complaint with the game is that grouping is an absolute requirement at certain checkpoints in the main story. Consider this punishment for the joy that is playing DPS.

Serious question, if I multi-class as a healer, can I go through the dungeons as a healer and the progression through the main story will apply to the character in general? it makes sense to me, but before I give it any more thought I wanted to be sure. It's like having alt-itis but it all kind of helps the same character. smile

Kupa

19 archer
13 carpenter
11 leatherworker
10 fisherman
10 botanist
6 marauder

hmm is that all? biggrin Yeah, I got some playtime in this weekend.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: September 03, 2013, 12:54:02 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 02, 2013, 09:47:44 PM

My advice for anyone who is interested:  wait a month or so before even thinking about joining.  FF XIV is a very good game, but until they get these server issues sorted out, it's not worth the aggravation at all.  If/when they get things running smoothly, it's going to be a blast.  Until then, stay far, far away...it's just an exercise in frustration.

not sure about a month,as i posted on the last page the 10 hr Maintenance is in.....24 hrs...so if things all go to plan,then everything could be perfect in about...

hmm,yeah,best hang on for a month

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 03, 2013, 01:09:37 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 03, 2013, 12:45:28 AM

Just as a counterpoint, I bought it Friday evening and have had a blast with it. Yes I have been on a different server from everyone I know and getting in can be a pain, but the game is worth it in my opinion. Once they get the login issues squared away, it will be even better. My only complaint with the game is that grouping is an absolute requirement at certain checkpoints in the main story. Consider this punishment for the joy that is playing DPS.

Serious question, if I multi-class as a healer, can I go through the dungeons as a healer and the progression through the main story will apply to the character in general? it makes sense to me, but before I give it any more thought I wanted to be sure. It's like having alt-itis but it all kind of helps the same character. smile

Kupa

19 archer
13 carpenter
11 leatherworker
10 fisherman
10 botanist
6 marauder

be thankful on that grouping just for dungeons,because if you wanted to level up properly on FF11 you need a group,no matter where you were in the world

I am not 100% sure what you mean with mutli-class as the healer in story progression,you can be whatever class you want to be for whatever mission,as long as you are the right level for the mission

so,main story yes...but class story,you have to have the right class equipped and be at the right level,no being a lvl 20 healer trying to do a lvl 20 Gladiator mission

I got the Copperbell mines done tonight,hate them,i hated them in Phase 3 and i hate them now,and half way through the dungeon my sound effects disappeared so i just had music,when i had finished it all and got back to the world,music was gone as well,so i had no sound

There are some really great FATEs up in Eastern Thanalan up near the Highbridge,they have these set of FATEs that are 3 rounds,so i was getting 3k for the first round,3 k for the second round and 8k for the third round..and then some separate FATEs happened very close by,so i picked up another 4-8k from them as well,its just the best place to grind for a mid 20s kid like me

GLA-25
ARC-11
ARN-15
CNJ-16

not done any of the jobs yet

Saw a group of Bots yesterday and today,they stay in a group and when anything spawns near them they instantly attack ..something went wrong because when i went back to the same place they were all dead on the floor,so i /laugh at them and went on my way

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #852 on: September 03, 2013, 01:19:53 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 03, 2013, 01:09:37 AM

so,main story yes...but class story,you have to have the right class equipped and be at the right level,no being a lvl 20 healer trying to do a lvl 20 Gladiator mission

The forced grouping is only the main story though right? They can't make us find tanks and healers to do DPS class missions... can they?

One of the reasons I never played XI was because of the grouping. EQ was the last time I grouped regularly and I didn't like it then (I was a warrior, not many options there) which is why I never got to max level, I did kill a few dragons though (no, not solo). That was about my last raids also. I tried a few in WoW, but I didn't have the time or interest to keep up with the gearing.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 03, 2013, 01:26:06 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 03, 2013, 12:45:28 AM

Kupa

19 archer
13 carpenter
11 leatherworker
10 fisherman
10 botanist
6 marauder

Glad to hear someone is getting in.  I've only been able to log on once in the last 3 days.  Getting some sort of error every single time, usually the "world full" one.

I'm hoping the major maintenance coming this week will fix the issues, but given their track record so far, I'm not holding my breath.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #854 on: September 03, 2013, 01:29:11 AM »

the worst was this morning when it took about 75 minutes to get in, but I was reading a book with a finger on keypad zero key, whoever mentioned that in this thread was a life saver. Before today I was clicking the whole time!

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: September 03, 2013, 01:30:03 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 03, 2013, 01:19:53 AM

The forced grouping is only the main story though right? They can't make us find tanks and healers to do DPS class missions... can they?

far as i have played,no,the grouping is just for main story

Instances(single player events)are for some main story and class story missions

Grouping though,honestly in this game is not that bad,if the Duty Finder works that is..you get into a group and each of you know what you are doing,you have a time limit(usually generous),and you get right on it,and after the dungeon is done,you never see that party again(it grabs people from every server for the party,not just the server you are on)

Again,in FF11 it was getting a party together and advertising on the chat,it could be very long and dragged out....if the Duty Finder works,that eliminates all that instantly
(although at the moment with DF a bit iffy,people have gone back to advertising again)

(In Phase 3,i would set up duty finder and less than a few minutes i would be in a party doing our thing in the dungeon)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: September 03, 2013, 01:45:59 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 02, 2013, 09:47:44 PM

this.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 03, 2013, 01:46:20 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 03, 2013, 01:29:11 AM

the worst was this morning when it took about 75 minutes to get in, but I was reading a book with a finger on keypad zero key, whoever mentioned that in this thread was a life saver. Before today I was clicking the whole time!

missed that, thanks for the reminder.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 03, 2013, 01:46:37 AM »

CHOCOBO!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 03, 2013, 01:47:55 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 02, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 02, 2013, 11:20:14 AM

Quote from: Razgon on September 02, 2013, 10:21:48 AM

I like to fog - its very nice!

I actually enjoy all kinds of weather in this game. The heavy rains looks and feels very nice.

yeah, I love thunderstorms in game.

Personally, I'd like to see more games actually model that effect.  If you're out wandering in a tsunami, it should affect your stamina at the very least, if not your overall health.  Just as wandering a desert at high noon isn't advisable.

if you're in a tsunami you're probably screwed slywink

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: September 03, 2013, 01:48:14 AM »

or you could always spend time grinding the doggy paddle....

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: September 03, 2013, 01:48:52 AM »

first in the series of a lot:

CHOCOBO!!!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 03, 2013, 01:54:21 AM »

going to start Thaumaturge next,looks like fun and i love some Black Magic(I miss my Red and Blue Mages from FF11)

this is a pretty good diagram,where every class is situated when it comes to battle(below is for Thaumaturge)

This picture should also include Arcanist in with the Conjurer and Thaumaturge(the second line of attack),but its from FF14 1.0,and i don't think 1.0 had Arcanist

Not sure if this list has been posted before but it may prove useful,its for the advanced jobs

so if you want to be a Bard you have to get Archer to lvl 30 and Pugilist to lvl15

Bard: Archer (30) -> Pugilist (15)
Paladin: Gladiator (30) -> Conjurer (15)
Dragoon: Lancer (30) -> Marauder (15)
Warrior: Marauder (30) -> Gladiator (15)
Monk: Pugilist (30) -> Lancer (15)
Scholar: Arcanist (30) -> Conjurer(15)
Summoner: Arcanist (30) -> Thaumaturge (15)
Black Mage: Thaumaturge (30) -> Archer (15)
White Mage: Conjurer (30) -> Arcanist (15)

So...plenty to do then icon_biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 03, 2013, 01:54:34 AM »

KUPO!!! goin' for the bard.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 03, 2013, 01:55:57 AM »

what are you doing to that bird? retard

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 03, 2013, 01:56:06 AM »

biggrin

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 03, 2013, 02:26:28 AM »

One of the reasons I never played XI was because of the grouping. EQ was the last time I grouped regularly and I didn't like it then (I was a warrior, not many options there) which is why I never got to max level, I did kill a few dragons though (no, not solo). That was about my last raids also. I tried a few in WoW, but I didn't have the time or interest to keep up with the gearing.

Yep, my sentiments as well.
I'm not anti-social by any means, but my over all experience with grouping in MMO's has left a bad taste in my mouth. If the main story line requires grouping I'm already cooling down on this one.
Some people just don't understand the play style of a solo'ist in a MMO. I've tried explaining it a hundred times to people, most are baffled and just don't get it.  My case in point for why I don't like grouping.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 03, 2013, 04:18:36 AM »

saw a suggestion that running in windowed mode may solve the BSODs, and on the plus side it is less disruptive than alt-tabbing to check the web.  just move the pointer to mys second monitor, click, and I'm browsing while the game stays maximized on the other screen.  makes stuff like watching Netflix much smoother.

of course that only matters if I can log in, so testing is on hold for now.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 03, 2013, 04:26:49 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 03, 2013, 02:26:28 AM

I'm not anti-social by any means, but my over all experience with grouping in MMO's has left a bad taste in my mouth. If the main story line requires grouping I'm already cooling down on this one.
Some people just don't understand the play style of a solo'ist in a MMO. I've tried explaining it a hundred times to people, most are baffled and just don't get it.  My case in point for why I don't like grouping.

There's at least 4 mandatory group dungeons to progress the storyline in the first 20 levels.  Not sure if it gets better or worse in that regard the further in you get, but it was a huge turn-off for me.  I'm really hoping they become fewer and further between...some of us don't have large chunks of time we can set aside for mandatory grouped content.

Videmon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 03, 2013, 05:01:41 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 03, 2013, 04:26:49 AM

Quote from: Arclight on September 03, 2013, 02:26:28 AM

Some people just don't understand the play style of a solo'ist in a MMO. I've tried explaining it a hundred times to people, most are baffled and just don't get it.  My case in point for why I don't like grouping.

There's at least 4 mandatory group dungeons to progress the storyline in the first 20 levels.  Not sure if it gets better or worse in that regard the further in you get, but it was a huge turn-off for me.  I'm really hoping they become fewer and further between...some of us don't have large chunks of time we can set aside for mandatory grouped content.

From what I can tell (I'm sitting at level 40 right now) after you do your first primal fight (not naming names to save some spoilers although people shout it all the time in game) and you get into a grand company to get your chocobo, from what I can remember you do have 1 or 2 more group dungeons you are forced in doing as well as another primal. For the most part it is very solo friendly. They do have a few side quests which send you into group dungeons but you can skip them if they aren't your cup of tea. Personally I have no problem with the group dungeons as the duty finder works fine for me (on DPS) I just load it up and then switch jobs and craft or go do some hunting logs on a different job until the duty finder hits. My wait time is usually only about 10 minutes as it does match you up with people from every server.

We also have a free company up and running so feel free to join that and ask if anyone wants to group up for some dungeons. At least that way you will be in with people you know.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:03:41 AM by Videmon » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: September 03, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »

got another link for you all,that has a lot of info on anything you need,hover over the tabs under the input bar,and you can see just what you can delve into

Its still in development it seems as some main quests/class quests don't seem to appear,but otherwise its spot on

http://www.xivdb.com/

for example,i looked up a certain entry into the Gladiator Hunting Log,this is the page i got

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 03, 2013, 08:30:30 AM »

There's at least 4 mandatory group dungeons to progress the storyline in the first 20 levels.  Not sure if it gets better or worse in that regard the further in you get, but it was a huge turn-off for me.  I'm really hoping they become fewer and further between...some of us don't have large chunks of time we can set aside for mandatory grouped content.

oh yeah, the one for the mount too.  dammit, was only hoping I had one left.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 03, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 03, 2013, 08:30:30 AM

hmm,not really,you get 4 grouped Duties,before you choose a Grand Company,then you have a solo instance which i had a lot of trouble with on Phase 3,then you have to get 2000 guild seals for your mount(join FATEs an such to earn them)

so which dungeon(Group Duty) did you do last CK?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 03, 2013, 08:45:38 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 03, 2013, 08:44:28 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 03, 2013, 08:30:30 AM

hmm,not really,you get 4 grouped Duties,before you choose a Grand Company,then you have a solo instance which i had a lot of trouble with on Phase 3,then you have to get 2000 guild seals for your mount(join FATEs an such to earn them)

so which dungeon(Group Duty) did you do last CK?

The tam one.  got the mines left.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 03, 2013, 08:47:50 AM »

and then the Ifrit one.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 03, 2013, 08:55:22 AM »

ahh okay

The Ifrit one..
Spoiler for Hiden:
is pretty much just the primal fight,no dungeon crawl

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 03, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »

gotcha.

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 03, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »

I'll help out anyone who needs to get through a dungeon. I've tanked 3 of the 4 mandatory dungeon instances so far. They're really not that difficult, and with a decent party you can run them in well under an hour.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 03, 2013, 02:55:55 PM »

Starting to sound real grind-centric the more I read about it. I am going to take very seriously the warning to wait a month or two for the bug side of things to get fixed.
But if by then the community is still talking grind, I'll pass.
I love MMO's that can be fun and progressive even when you only have an hour or so to play.

I get that its an Asian MMO...And God bless them, that's the way they like to play.
Just not my cuppa joe.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #879 on: September 03, 2013, 03:26:11 PM »

I haven't seen any mention of the word grind outside of comments that trying to login feels like a grind. The only grind in this game that I have seen or heard of so far is gathering skills (fishing, botanist, mining - I've done 2 of the 3) and that is pretty much their nature.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: