http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 06:23:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/PS3] Final Fantasy XIV (Characters/Servers in first post)  (Read 42847 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »

I would likely play with a 360 gamepad if I played.  I probably won't be playing though.  stupid squaresoft. slywink

I still see the little wonderpug mage though
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2010, 11:01:12 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 07, 2010, 10:54:02 PM

I would likely play with a 360 gamepad if I played.  I probably won't be playing though.  stupid squaresoft. slywink

I still see the little wonderpug mage though

Like in your fevered nightmarish dreams or something? 

Honestly goofing around as a Taru Taru samurai was one of the funn(i)est things I did in that game.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2010, 04:40:01 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 07, 2010, 10:47:24 PM

Sounds pretty much like the controls for FFXI, which in essence turned your keyboard into a dual analog stick controller.  I remember having to keep my right hand on the arrow keys and my left hand on WASD.

You don't have to do that.  I run with WASD and use the mouse to point myself in the direction I want to go.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2010, 05:54:56 PM »

Between the negative early talk and the fact that I can't play this on XBL, I was in the OUT! camp.

Then I went to my cousin's this past weekend for a cookout...  When I asked one of his son's what he's been playing, he said he was thinking of getting FFXIV as soon as he could.  Apparently, many of his friends are in the Beta and they are all raving about it- one even said that she stayed up all night playing, and that the last 3 hours of that were spent fishing.  I'm a sucker for a good fishing mini-game, absolutely loved the one in FFXI (until the fishing-bot cheaters ruined it), so I'm leaning back into the IN! camp. 

Oh, well, who needs a life anyway?

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2010, 06:04:08 PM »

I am most definitely OUT on this until the UI is playable on a computer.  Designing your game to be as obtuse as possible for people used to PC gaming and MMOs that aren't FFXI isn't the way to grab people.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »

Messed around with open beta for this today so here's impressions from a non-Final Fantasy guy.

I'll clarify that with a quick summary of my JRPG background. The first one I ever tried to play was a PC port of one of the Metal Gear Solid games; don't recall which one. My fuzzy memory of it was that 90% of the gameplay consisted of hitting the space bar over and over to advance through interminably long dialogue cutscenes. Recently, having never played a Final Fantasy game and having a friend's old PS2 camped at the house I gave Final Fantasy X a whirl to try and see what all of the fuss was about. I lasted about four hours and rank it as one of my worst ever game experiences. Gameplay again seemed to consist mainly of walking from cutscene to cutscene amongst one of the most irritating collections of characters ever assembled into one license.

My only other knowledge of square enix is that theirs is one of the names attached to Deus Ex 2, another train wreck of a game.

Suffice to say, I came into Final Fantasy XIV with pretty low expectations. These were not raised in the slightest by the game patcher which is done torrent style and which, accompanied by the sort of music you'd hear in a crystal and candle shop, announced that it was going to take around 27 hours to download the updates. A few minutes on google and I found a direct download for the 4.4 gigs of patches and saved myself about 25 hours.

Character creation was ok. The character art was good if of questionable design. We have the generic humans, the elves whose males dress in lowrider pants the better to display their rippling abs and manscaping skills, the FF version of a hobbit which seemed the bastard offspring of the Pillsbury Doughboy and a muppet and which I immediately wanted to stick knives into, a catgirl for the furry crowd and a big burly guy who I expect gets flocks of male elves fluttering around him wherever he goes. There are limited options for each customizable aspect but there are decent number of customizable aspects. Since they're all choices between presets it's pretty easy to make a decent looking character, provided you're not playing a male elf or a muppet. Sadly, turning music off in options does not kill the music that plays during character creation.

Once in game I had to hand it to 'em. The graphics are gorgeous. The main quest lines, it seems, are chock full of cutscenes as I might have expected from previous jrpg experiences. However, be it the novelty of character centric cutscenes in an MMO or the quality of writing and animation, I quite enjoyed all of the cutscenes in this one. Mostly. The long load times at the beginning and end of each cut scene were a bit of a turn-off. There are three different starting areas, each with its own questline. I've done one of these questlines and dabbled in the other two. The eyebrow raiser is one that features, I shit you not, a flying musical kitten band that chases wolves away. Points for originality, I guess. More points if they'd let me ragekill them and hadn't given them some absurd cutesy name. Moogies? Moogles? Something like that.

The way the quests are conducted, however, is a throwback to ol' school EQ. Wanna get a quest from an NPC? Good luck. There are no indicators whatsoever of which NPCs might have quests to offer as opposed to flavor dialogue. During quests you'll get objectives along the lines of 'go talk to pullers at the fisherman's guild'. You arrive at the fisherman's guild to find fifteen NPCs lazing about and you get to run around and talk to all of them until you find the one that updates the quest and starts the next cutscene. An additional big part of the starter quests is running around the starter city. I was in some piratey city that consisted mostly of three hundred yard long bridges and ramps that you continually had to run along to get anywhere. Nice scenery couldn't prevent this from getting old pretty fast.

Character animation is both good and bad. Good in that it's smooth and lifelike. Bad in that most characters seem to be possessed by twelve year old Japanese girls. Once you've done the wave emote once you will quietly vow to yourself to never, ever make your character do anything of that sort ever again. This is one of the cultural oddities of Japan that I've always found the strangest-how everything seems targeted towards young girls. Here we have the squeaky voices, the animations, the flying kittens, the muppets, the androgynous males with fabulous hair. In any case, if that's an important part of the Asian RPG experience for you then you will be able to find it here though, so far at least, it hasn't been as overbearing as it was in Final Fantasy X.

The UI is absolutely, hideously awful. Really, really bad. Even for something as simple as combat you get to press one key to get your character into "action stance" (which has a one second accompanying animation during which you can't move), press another to target the mob, then you have to CLICK THE MOB AGAIN to select it as a combat target, then you can finally try and attack the thing. Meanwhile it has been happily chewing on your face. Most info like inventory, character, etc. is buried 2 or 3 layers deep in a menu system that is slow and must be interacted with with a mickey mouse hand cursor that just kind of vaguely drifts along in the direction that you're trying to move it. Your inventory is split across multiple tabs in multiple menus. Want to clickdrag something to equip it? Tough shit. That's not how muppets roll.

I finished the starting questline with my character and am now in a position where I have no real idea what to do. There might be another quest for my level, somewhere, or there might be a hundred. I'm faced with the prospect of running around randomly talking to likely looking NPCs in order to find out if there is anything or not. Or I could do the "guildleve" quests. "Guildleve" is apparently a Japanese word that means "generic". These are the cutscene free go kill 6 rat type quests and I have the sinking feeling that these comprise the bulk of the play experience. These are all handed out from behind a counter rather than from individual NPCs in the gameworld.  I did a couple of these, both of which sent me to an area just outside the city where I then had to click on a rock, select it from the menu, select to do a guildleve from the rockmenu, select which guildleve to do and then select my difficulty level. The game then did a complete 180 from its prior lack of quest direction. For the guildleves, it highlights the nearest appropriate mob on the map, surrounds it with a big glowy circle on the map as well as a directional arrow and then places sparkles over it on the landscape.  Chat in this area was useless (more so than its normal 80 character limit cumbersome hotkey uselessness) due to a goldspammer sitting next to the rock running a spam macro. He was still there when I logged back in 8 hours later which is probably an indicator of something.

Having burned out on guildleves I decided I'd take a glance at the crafting system. As a pugilist, I figured Weaver would be most useful for my character. Mysteriously, however, there was no weaver guild in my starting city so that cut my career pretty short.

So...

PROS: Great graphics and sound effects, well done animation, well done cutscenes and interesting storylines for the main story quests.

MEDIOCRES: Clunky combat, obnoxious running distances to get around the cities, unlabeled merchants, lack of complete set of crafting guilds, generic rinse and repeat grind quests.

BAD: Horrific UI, elevator fantasy music, quest direction either nonexistant or over the top, locked keys, periodic supernatural possession of game designers by spirits of pack of Japanese schoolgirls.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:15:30 AM by Gryndyl » Logged

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2010, 02:16:11 PM »

I've never understood the Japanese inclination to make things about 10 times more difficult than they need to be. It's the one thing I dislike about JRPGs, which I otherwise enjoy.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »

Thanks for the interesting and hilarious read Gryndyl! I had been hoping to read some impressions from someone that isn't necessarily a fan of JRPG's and FF.

It sounds like I can safely skip this one and maybe check on it again in a year's time.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2010, 03:39:36 PM »

Yeah, thanks Gryndyl, this is the kind of stuff I need to read to help me make up my mind - and might save me $15-$20 a month.

I'm not ready to write it off entirely, though - because Squeenix knows which buttons, bells, and whistles to push, clang, and blast, to get me hooked on their games.  I don't even understand how they do it, because I detest the difficulty, the long runs up ramps and around mountains, and most of the silly girlie-teen features.  If the reviews continue to be around a C-minus or lower, I can happily continue on with my normal, non-MMO gaming addiction.

I hope.   

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2010, 02:37:47 AM »

The UI issues and cost per month are offputting a bit... do you actually not get 30 days free with the standard edition?

That said, I love the idea of a MMORPG that I can play more single player, love having cutscenes in one, updated graphics, etc. So it is definitely tempting for me.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2010, 12:26:43 PM »

The UI issues, I can get over...not a big deal.  But I hate not having some indicator that a quest is available for me or able to be continued with a particular person.  I don't want to talk to 80 million NPCs.  I want to see ! or ? above their heads (or whatever variant they want to come up with).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2010, 01:17:16 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 17, 2010, 12:26:43 PM

The UI issues, I can get over...not a big deal.  But I hate not having some indicator that a quest is available for me or able to be continued with a particular person.  I don't want to talk to 80 million NPCs.  I want to see ! or ? above their heads (or whatever variant they want to come up with).

I've always thought that it would be much more appropriate to handle this in a more natural way rather than a big ! or ? over their heads. Just think about how its done in real life. If someone needs your help they will wave at you, motion for you to come to them, look at you, greet you, and plenty of other social cues. Then people without something to say simply ignore you.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2010, 06:57:53 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on September 17, 2010, 01:17:16 PM

Quote from: The Grue on September 17, 2010, 12:26:43 PM

The UI issues, I can get over...not a big deal.  But I hate not having some indicator that a quest is available for me or able to be continued with a particular person.  I don't want to talk to 80 million NPCs.  I want to see ! or ? above their heads (or whatever variant they want to come up with).

I've always thought that it would be much more appropriate to handle this in a more natural way rather than a big ! or ? over their heads. Just think about how its done in real life. If someone needs your help they will wave at you, motion for you to come to them, look at you, greet you, and plenty of other social cues. Then people without something to say simply ignore you.

So, after poking around on various forums I've discovered that this, apparently, isn't too much of an issue as there really aren't many quests. Once you've done the main quest for your level range and the handful of generic guildleves available then you're done with the content until you manage to hit a high enough level to open up the next quest tiers. And how do you get to that higher level, you ask, fearing that you know the answer already?

You grind. Yup. Asian MMO design is alive and well. I finished all of my available quests and am level 3. Next quests are available, apparently, at level 10. Seems the expectation is that I will now go out and kill 7 levels worth of rats.

The forum monkeys claim that there will be more content in the release version. Whether this is based on reality or wishful thinking that has managed to grow into desperate hope remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:06:40 PM by Gryndyl » Logged

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »

Hmmm...it's clunky, horrible UI, lack of quests and a Korean grind and people are wondering if it will be successful.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2010, 07:58:53 PM »

No, you keep doing Levequests and Guildleves and whatever. 

But yeah, you grind those. biggrin
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2010, 08:27:52 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 17, 2010, 07:58:53 PM

I'm not sure what bothers me more, the design of the game or the fact that they make up nonsensical words to describe things that have already had standard names for over a decade.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2010, 11:34:57 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 17, 2010, 07:58:53 PM

Currently when I go the the Guild counter I am informed that there are no more leves available for my level  icon_confused

My expectation on the additional content that will presumably exist at launch is that it will be more guildleves which yeah, are the absolute thinnest possible disguise for grinding.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2010, 12:45:48 AM »

I just received my beatuiful CE box today.  When is this game going live lol?  WHo cares if the game sucks, the box is gorgeous!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »

the FFXIV PC Controller is due out the 30th.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2010, 02:57:30 PM »

Not only could we not be bothered to program a good UI for a computer, we're going to sell you a controller, too!  Go us!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 23, 2010, 02:57:30 PM

Not only could we not be bothered to program a good UI for a computer, we're going to sell you a controller, too!  Go us!

IT BUILDS DISCIPLINE.

Because I can,
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on September 23, 2010, 12:45:48 AM

...WHo cares if the game sucks, the box is gorgeous!!

icon_lol

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2010, 07:01:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2010, 02:32:13 PM

the FFXIV PC Controller is due out the 30th.

a controller for an MMO? yeesh
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »

I assume that this is a joke (especially with the VE3D logo in the corner), but who knows with this game as the controller is the way to play.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »

So does anyone know when this game goes live?  Is anyone else playing?  I was under the impression the CE gave you early access like the 24th or 25th or something, but there's really no indication.  I couldn't even get the patcher to work right.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2010, 09:59:23 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 23, 2010, 09:37:39 PM

I assume that this is a joke (especially with the VE3D logo in the corner), but who knows with this game as the controller is the way to play.
Its showing up on other sites so if it's a joke someone made it pretty convincing.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2010, 10:07:41 PM »

Quote from: vizionblind on September 23, 2010, 07:01:48 PM

a controller for an MMO? yeesh

the 360 controller(and keyboard for chat)worked fantastic on FF11 on the 360,i wouldn't play an MMO any other way

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2010, 10:08:33 PM »

anyone have an extra buddy pass?
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2010, 02:52:35 PM »

I'd like an NA buddy pass if someone has one.  The game is getting beat up pertty badly in most forums but I'd like to see for myself without having to buy before I try.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2010, 06:02:19 PM »

So what's the verdict? Play or stay away?

I have played pretty much every MMO, except maybe one or two and enjoyed each and everyone of them to a point. They all have had their stong points and their weak points. I have heard this one to be compared a lot to EQ I. That unfortunately is the only MMO I have not played  icon_biggrin How would someone compare the two if they have played both? I also hear patience is the way with this MMO.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »

Here is one opinion:

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/chaosngn/062008/6730_Final-Fantasy-XIV-Scraping-Your-Skin-with-a-Razorblade-

Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2010, 08:44:11 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on September 29, 2010, 08:26:25 PM

OUCH, that is harsh.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2010, 10:14:52 PM »

Still tempted nonetheless... but there are no real reviews which makes me sad.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2010, 02:15:01 AM »

Best MMORPG.com quote

If WoW (or any other f**king MMO on the planet for that matter) was a nice relaxing massage by (insert porn star) with a happy ending, Final Fantasy XIV is stabbing your eye out with a rusty screw after inhaling shards of glass through the exhaust pipe of your fatherís Lincoln Mercury.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2010, 02:31:53 AM »

it's horrible
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2010, 04:35:30 AM »

Not tempted.  I just come in here to read about the train wreck. Everybody loves watching train wrecks!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2010, 04:43:34 AM »

Bleh my reply got erased so I'll give the abbreviated version.  Based on about 4 days and 3 hours of installation/signup, and 10 minutes of "gameplay", I say.... graphics good, game sucks!  I'm guessing if you are very patient and a die hard FF fan you might be able to get into this game.  Unfortunately I'm neither so I will stick with my assertion that the box was the best part of this game.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2010, 01:49:16 PM »

Quote from: ericb on September 30, 2010, 02:15:01 AM

Best MMORPG.com quote

If WoW (or any other f**king MMO on the planet for that matter) was a nice relaxing massage by (insert porn star) with a happy ending, Final Fantasy XIV is stabbing your eye out with a rusty screw after inhaling shards of glass through the exhaust pipe of your fatherís Lincoln Mercury.

That...is harsh. DAMN.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2010, 03:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 30, 2010, 01:49:16 PM

Quote from: ericb on September 30, 2010, 02:15:01 AM

Best MMORPG.com quote

That...is harsh. DAMN.

so I take it it's bad?

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »

Anyone have a buddy key? I would love to see just how bad it is.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: