http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 06:42:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FFXI took my MMO virginity - now I wants me some WoW  (Read 3913 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2006, 06:36:08 AM »

Indeed, I loved Final Fantasy XI when I played it.. but it was just too much of a timesink.  WoW offers the ability to play for short bursts (right...?) and I'm itching to play another MMO.

SO!  Nabbed a free trial I'm thinking of becoming an Undead Priest.  I like the healer / caster role, indeed, I liked Black Mage the most for FFXI.  Are there any things I need (i.e. any mods/guides/otherwise) to get me ramped up.  What about what I should 'spec' my character?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 12:24:47 PM »

WoW will be just as much of a timesink, intended or not.  In part due to the addictive nature it is easy to loose 5 or 6 hours.  Also once you get to higher levels the game changes radically and time requirements skyrocket if you want to see any of the high end content.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 01:58:00 PM »

There are plenty of sites available.  Check out the http://wowvault.ign.com/ , http://wow.allakhazam.com/ and even the forums at the main WoW site.  You can also search on your class and may find a preist specific site like for my Warlock I use the warlocks den, nice site for warlocks.

Have fun play the class the way you want to play it and dont worry about the high end content.  I have played since closed beta and I still dont worry about runnng any of the "high end" instances.  I have fun with my small group of freinds running the smaller raids and just playing together.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 04:17:05 PM »

I currently run an undead priest at 60, who is collecting his high warlord gear...

Tips:
Wrods I use that you'll need to know: 
Instancing....In wow, most dungeons are set up so no one can interfere with you.  You get your own seperate instance of the dungeon.  Hence it's name. 
Ganked: Mugged/jumped/pummeled/beaten up
PVE/PVP Servers : PVE: Player Vs Enemy server.  You cannot fight the opposing side unless both of you set yourselves pvp.  You cannot be ganked, but you lose a bit of the "Will I get beat up" thrill.  PVP: Player vs Player: Once you leave the beginning areas, all bets are off, prepare to fight the other side whether you want to or not.

1) Get a friend, join a friends server, get someone who can help feed you for the first 20 or 30 levels... it'll cut pain and suffering down quite a bit...   

Mainly becaue he can help you get the appropriate wands for your level, help run you through instances (Unless you want to run them in groups for the exp, it's usually quicker to quest). and more or less save your derrier from time to time (esp on a pvp server).

2) Get wand specialization first.

Wad Specialization is a priest talent.  at level 10 you get talents, and I highly reccomend spending the first 5 levels, no matter how many may argue, getting Wand Specialization to 5.  Sounds stupid, but you do more damage with a good wand (Any enchanter wand for instance) your level than you will do with any spells you get, even shadow specced.  Most priests I know will spell up a mob, and use the wand to finish it off while they regen mana, it cuts down on downtime (Time you dont spend fighting/killing/getting exp) and helps keep you leveling at an apporriate speed.  The damage done by your wand will eventiually change to spells winning out, but not anytime soon, you'll get maybe 30 levels of "man I love my wand" before you start debating switching to a more spell-driven nature.

3) group up before grinding after level 30.

Grinding is HORRID.  I dont care what anyone says, unless you are a machine, grouping up with the friends you make makes the game go 15 times better.  Even if it's a 2 man for questing, you have a partner in crime.  Also it helps you work better in a group for instancing which will make you more desirable when the later instances come around.  Getting a decent chunk of people who you can do things with makes the game bearable.  Soloing to 60 is a form of sado-masochism imho.

Also, if you are on a pve server, grinding solo isnt nearly as bad as on a pvp server, where more often than not, some dorkface will gank you out of boredom.

4) Dont underestimate the value of instancing.
Yes this goes against better exp questing that instancing.  And until you find a stable of people who will do instances with you, you will get bad pick up groups and suffer through horrible horrible events I wont make you read.  Everyone has bad group stories, it's part of growing up.  Still running an instance will usually get you a large chunk, if not all of a level.  PLus the blues Items you get off the boss mobs will carry you a long way and help with the leveling proces.

5) Make lots of friends with people who know what they are doing. 

Whether you join a competent guild, or you find friends while leveling, the more people who can help you with things, the easier your time is.  Comptent people make running instances a well oiled machine with few mess ups and even fewer wipes (When the whole party dies).   Plus it just helps to have those sorts of people showing you the ropes, making sure you dont do silly things like not heal the main tank (Which I'm notorious for)...

6) Have Fun

No one remebers this one... they think of it as a competition... it's a game, it needs to be treated as such.  Have fun while you are here... If you snap and want to throw wow out the window... Feel free to put it down, play something else, hang out with the wife/kids/etc.  You will get irritated, you will get mad,.. but if you play this and all you ever are is mad, then dont play it.  There are plenty of other things out there that can entertain better if this isnt your cup of tea.

When you are on, crack jokes with people, keep everything fun if you can, wow becomes 30 times better when you have a smile on more often than not.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 04:34:57 PM »

Cool thanks for the info Semaj.  Thanks for the links drifter.  Arkon - yes I know MMOs are indeed addicting in nature.  I played FFXI for more than a year!  But it seems as though for WoW you CAN get things accomplished in an hour or two (not any of the higher-level stuff of course) whereas you needed to sit down and dedicate 4+ hours for FFXI to do ANYTHING.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 04:48:37 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 11, 2006, 04:34:57 PM

I played FFXI for more than a year!   ...whereas you needed to sit down and dedicate 4+ hours for FFXI to do ANYTHING.

Is that really true, dep?  It's a wonder people still play the game at all.  I never have, but I am starting to really get into the whole FF world and stuff, so I have (gasp!) contemplated it for about .3 seconds here and there.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 04:56:24 PM »

There is nothing, I mean NOTHING, as satisfying in WoW that can compete with a well-balanced party in FFXI. It's all about chaining monsters and no downtime.

Unfortunately there is nothing, I mean NOTHING, as elusive as a well-balanced party in FFXI. Not even the Emperor Dragonfly in Valkurm is that rare... disgust If you get yourself into a fairly large (not tooo large) Linkshell (read:clan) then it makes it worthwhile.

I played for about a year; I loved it. When I first started WoW (last public beta) I was enthralled with the ability to solo... that wore off pretty quick. Oh, and the cost of things in FFXI is astronomical. Utsusemi anyone? Hell, throwing stars have a <50% hit rate, and cost 10k a stack (and that was over a year ago).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 05:13:50 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 11, 2006, 04:48:37 PM

Quote from: depward on December 11, 2006, 04:34:57 PM

I played FFXI for more than a year!   ...whereas you needed to sit down and dedicate 4+ hours for FFXI to do ANYTHING.
Is that really true, dep?  It's a wonder people still play the game at all.  I never have, but I am starting to really get into the whole FF world and stuff, so I have (gasp!) contemplated it for about .3 seconds here and there.

From my time playing the game, that's absolutely and most definitely true. FFXI is a terrible MMO, IMHO (compared to what's out there now). It's all about the group, period. If you have a crappy group, you have a crappy time. If you don't have a group, you accomplish absolutely NOTHING as the game outright requires it (short of some class combos that you still have to level up to and get in the first place) to get past level 10-15.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 05:26:50 PM »

Quote from: Semaj
Wad Specialization is a priest talent.  at level 10 you get talents, and I highly reccomend spending the first 5 levels, no matter how many may argue, getting Wand Specialization to 5.  Sounds stupid, but you do more damage with a good wand (Any enchanter wand for instance) your level than you will do with any spells you get, even shadow specced.  Most priests I know will spell up a mob, and use the wand to finish it off while they regen mana, it cuts down on downtime (Time you dont spend fighting/killing/getting exp) and helps keep you leveling at an apporriate speed.  The damage done by your wand will eventiually change to spells winning out, but not anytime soon, you'll get maybe 30 levels of "man I love my wand" before you start debating switching to a more spell-driven nature.

I have a 60 Undead Shadow Priest on Bloodscalp, and I could not disagree more.  The first 5 talent points you get should all go into Spirit Tap, as it basically doubles your mana regeneration after you kill something, which reduces downtime quite a bit.  After that go with Blackout or Shadow Focus, then Mind Flay and Improved Mind Blast.  I was killing mobs so quick I rarely even had to use the wand, and with Spirit Tap my mana regen'd fast enough that I didn't need to drink after evey fight.

Pesonally I used SW:P, Mind Blast, and Mind Flay, finish off with the wand if necessary.  A 25% bonus to wand damage is nice, but it pales in comparison to the shadow talents you can get.

glyc
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 05:33:31 PM by Glycerine » Logged

depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 05:50:28 PM »

I've been reading about how the Priest class was kinda screwed this last update?  Is this true?

I like being a caster of some sort.  I like being (preferably) a white mage sort of thing but I had a TON of fun with Black Mage in FFXI.  Should I look into making another character other than a priest...?

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 05:51:19 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on December 11, 2006, 05:26:50 PM

I have a 60 Undead Shadow Priest on Bloodscalp, and I could not disagree more.  The first 5 talent points you get should all go into Spirit Tap, as it basically doubles your mana regeneration after you kill something, which reduces downtime quite a bit.  After that go with Blackout or Shadow Focus, then Mind Flay and Improved Mind Blast.  I was killing mobs so quick I rarely even had to use the wand, and with Spirit Tap my mana regen'd fast enough that I didn't need to drink after evey fight.

Pesonally I used SW:P, Mind Blast, and Mind Flay, finish off with the wand if necessary.  A 25% bonus to wand damage is nice, but it pales in comparison to the shadow talents you can get.

glyc

I am only lvl 20 on my undead priest but I agree on Spirit Tap over Wands, I hardly ever use the wand, ,mainly just to add some damage to runners while waiting for shadow word: pain dot to kill em.  I would think that Tap is also better if you are in groups as you can replenish your healing mana pool quicker and the +25% dmg from wands shouldn't be crucial to your group's dmg.  Of course the beauty of WoW is that you can certainly spec as you wish and still be effective in the game so try what you find interesting and have fun with it.  If you don't find a crafting skill that you are interested in I'd recommend taking mining and skinning for their money making abilities, that is what I did and I can always sell my  ores or skins in the auction house for profit and it adds up, I'm not rich but at level 20 I have 16 gold after buying all my spells so it does work.  Herbs can also make you cash by selling in the AH.
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 08:25:54 PM »

Yeah, WoW is really more about having good players than the requirement to have a 'perfect' group, which makes the game a zillion times more fun.  I remember from many games (EQ, DAoC, FFXI) where you would know everyone in a group, and they would still turn you down because you weren't the 'right' class for them at a certain time.  WoW is far more flexible, even with healers- a priest is great, but you can make due with a druid, two paladins/shaman, etc.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 10:04:44 PM »

That whole "right class" syndrome is common across too many games, and far too over-emphasized.

Even in old-school EQ, I had fun with people in groups that were just groups. Unoptimized, didn't have the "right" mix, but with the right people, it's a lot of fun regardless of whether you have the perfect class mix or anything like that.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 11:10:24 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 11, 2006, 05:50:28 PM

I've been reading about how the Priest class was kinda screwed this last update?  Is this true?

I like being a caster of some sort.  I like being (preferably) a white mage sort of thing but I had a TON of fun with Black Mage in FFXI.  Should I look into making another character other than a priest...?

Based on your interests, you want to be a priest, mage, or warlock. Trust me. I know you. Based on the fact that I am going to be a rogue in our duo (at least in the expansion), my vote is for priest= non stop killing team.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 11:27:15 PM »

Yes, nothing will be spared in our path of destruction, NOTHING!

warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 11:44:23 PM »

Oh man I so want to resub for the expansion.  We need to form a guild of blood elves.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 12:20:18 AM »

Quote from: warning on December 11, 2006, 11:44:23 PM

Oh man I so want to resub for the expansion.  We need to form a guild of blood elves.

Such a goddamn hawt idea-hotter when i came up with it a month ago, but I am in!!
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 01:05:11 PM »

Outland will be filled with Alliance and the horde will all have blood elf chicks dancing naked on the mailboxes.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 01:13:30 PM »

Does dancing naked on a mailbox boost character stats?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 01:19:50 PM »

Only in Star Wars Galaxies not in WoW.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 09:39:27 PM »

I'm still trying to decide and would like some input:  Priest, Druid, Warlock or Mage?  I'm also kinda interested in Shaman... but I don't like the idea of the totems.

Basically, I want to have a character that is efficient in soloing/2/3 person partying and is a worthwhile character endgame as well as in PvP.

My thoughts:

-Priest - I liked the White Mage role in FFXI.  It's nice to feel somewhat needed in a party and be desirable as well.

-Druid - Shape-shifting or whatever seems cool, but it almost seems like a "jack of all trades" sort of class that doesn't specialize in one particular thing.

-Warlock - Having those summonable pets is cool, but is it a good 'newb' class?

-Mage - My favorite job was Black Mage in FFXI and I like the feeling of being a pure damage dealer.  Though, from what I've read, they aren't really desired late-game and aren't effective in PvP.

Need some suggestions from you guys!  Thanks

warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 10:27:58 PM »

Man I really loved my Shaman.  I think I took him to level 30 and he was fun the whole way.  Great solo class and I could double as a healer for a group when I needed to.  The totems are cool and I never really had any problem managing them.  I'd seriously take a look at a Shammy depward.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 10:49:18 PM »

I like your sugges - NAY - I love it.  I'll roll one and see how it goes!  Thanks warning!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 11:24:41 PM »

As for your classes:

Priest: Capable of great healing AND great damage. You may be a squishie, but you're capable of putting out the hurt. Can solo surprisingly well (they're not the Priests you'll find in any other MMO).

Druid: Very fun class, and the shifting keeps things entertaining. Depending on your form, you're a good damage dealer, a good tank, and a good healer/spellcaster. Only problem is that to be the absolute best of your class, you'll need more than one type of armor (when in spellcaster form or in shift form(s)).

Warlock: Powerful class, but it's not exactly the most n00b friendly of the bunch out there. Mainly involves you throwing your pet onto your target and dotting it and/or another target to death.

Mage: Doesn't solo too well (spends lots of time on one's ass drinking one's summonable water), but is capable of doing lots of damage. I personally never liked the class (or spent much time playing one in general), so I'm not the best of people to ask about it.

Shaman: Fun class, does lots of melee damage along with spell damage and the ability to heal. Doesn't solo as fast as other characters do though, IMHO.

Hunter: Amazing solo class (it's a toss up between this and a Rogue). Almost a bit too easy (generally involves sending in your tameable pet and shooting arrows/bullets until target is dead) but has amazing survivability (almost impossible to actually die unless you aren't paying attention to your surroundings or you get outright mobbed) and does lots of damage. My personal class of choice.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 04:18:29 AM »

Ok lets get on with the arguing smile

- Early on if you have a good wand, at your level, your wand damage does as much if not more than your spell damage does.  You dont have downtime if you finish off most of your mobs with the wand, meaning you get serious regen time.  Hit your dot, maybe smack em with a spell or two, smack em with the wand till they die.   I know how nice spirit tap is, o how I know.  However, after using just the enchanter wands helping level a noob, it amazed me how much more efficient it is.  When you get mind flay, and your spells get more useful, yes, spirit tap becomes a godsend. Early on Wand spec wins.  As you go shadow and start melting faces, you'd be suprised how handy your wand is in a fight.  It doesnt get interrupted, it cant be disarmed, the dps is good and it doesnt use any mana.

- Priests didnt get nerfed last patch.  Basically every other class sans warriors was given a bomb.  So now your sitting there watching how much stuff everyone else got wondering when your turn will come, if ever.

- Priests dont do a lot of damage, unless your pimping high warlords+.  You need about +300 to +400 damage on your eq to do remotely decent damage.  If your looking to do real damage any of the other classes do more.  Thats right, every other class does more damage than a priest right now.

- Druids: They can heal 1 target better than a priest can.  With multiple targets a priest wins out.  With innervate they actually are pretty rock solid in the mana consistency too.  Plus with some eq changes and form shifting you can do a serious amount of DPS, or tank real well.  Druids got some serious loving this patch.  The fact I get hit for 2400+ crits from catform alone lets me know. 

- Warlock - bets pvp class in the game in terms of just plain nastyness.  The patch was kind to em, the Felguard is one of the meaner tanks I have ever seen.  It's your own pet warrior.  Not phenominally easy to use, but when I was leveling mine, I think I only died to a 4rth or 5th add.  And if they are strung together I can go for a long long time.

- Mage - instadamage.  one of the best soloing classes contrary to destructors opinion.  One on one you can house things, and with the cold skills you can kill 10-12 things at once, called AOE (area of effect) grinding.  I've had one hit me for 4-5k damage in about a second or second and a half.  they really put out a hurting.

- Shaman - They were pvp spicy before, but they've been moved to more of a support role in raids.  Dual Wielding shamans might be the new hotness, but only time will tell. They heal well, and they can do decent damage.  Thier mana currrently isnt as spicy as other casting classes so they arnt as effeciant as other classes, but Mana tide totems make life worth living for a lot of people.  The Burning Crusade will make or break shamans.

- Hunter - man.. they were _so_ good before... now they are retardedly good.  The new arrows mean you hit people for 1600 arcane shot crits.  They got a _nerf_ which means they do more damage and thier pets became highly useful again.  Damn nerfs, lol.

- As far as helaing classes go, unless you are horde only.. paladins are retardedly good right now.  They were almost unkillable before, now they have damage to go with thier unkillability.  You can heal, you have the most effeciently as a paladin.  Thats right, they might not be better overall healers but they sure are good.  You have plate, you can deal damage and stun people, if you draw serious agro, pop a invincibility shield and keep right on healing. Now they do a metric ton of damage in a hurry.  Paladins are my vote for: "Class that didnt need any more of an upping but got one anyways".

- If you like never fighting and sitting back clciking heal buttons, your choices are: Shaman, Druid, Priest, Paladin.  Each has thier own benefits.  I'd say your only real choices are druid, paladin and priest.  Druids and Paladins can do more than heal.  So if you want to mix it up some and have more use to a raid than the heal icon, they might be mroe your speed.  But if all you want to do is heal, the Priests still win out, but only by a slim margin.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2006, 04:25:16 AM »

Only one big problem with a Paladin - yeah, you're unkillable, but you can't kill a damn thing in return. Yeah, I hit 60 faster than other MMOs with my Pally, but it took FOREVER to solo anything down that wasn't undead. You just don't have the damage ability. And don't even get me started with the 'fun' I had in raids with my Pally. Turned me off to raiding forever.

And yeah, Priests aren't the true damage dealers of the game, but they do a lot more damage than their same name counterparts do compared to other MMOs.

Hunters...I don't really know if they got a buff in this patch. Yeah, their Arcane Shot got a boost, but you can't Aimed Shot in combat anymore (well, it's not worth it in a sense), and all pets either did (or will when BC comes out in a month) get hit with the slow attack speed nerf. Turns all pets into generic clones of each other short of their look.

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 06:34:51 AM »

Paladins got retardedly good last patch.  Like right now they are unbeatable in pvp good.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2006, 01:04:32 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 15, 2006, 04:25:16 AM

Only one big problem with a Paladin - yeah, you're unkillable, but you can't kill a damn thing in return. Yeah, I hit 60 faster than other MMOs with my Pally, but it took FOREVER to solo anything down that wasn't undead. You just don't have the damage ability. And don't even get me started with the 'fun' I had in raids with my Pally. Turned me off to raiding forever.

If you spec your paladin retribution when leveling up, their DPS is not that bad. I had no problem at all leveling my paladin to 60th and never felt my DPS was painfully low compared to my other 60ths (it did help that I was able to twink him with decent weapons as he leveled admittedly). He never really had much downtime which, to me, makes up for the less DPS. Plus, he seldom died thanks to all his outs, further reducing downtime.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2006, 02:04:39 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on December 15, 2006, 06:34:51 AM

Paladins got retardedly good last patch.  Like right now they are unbeatable in pvp good.

PVP - yet another thing I don't really care about in my MMOs.

But yeah, I heard the Pally got a nice damage buff in the last patch. Still haven't fired it up yet though. Blame Zelda for that one.  icon_biggrin

Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2006, 08:40:35 PM »

You guys still playing on Whisperwind?

I played on this server with Purge back in the launch days.
I seem to have an itch to play some once again.

Gonna eat your face
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2006, 03:08:11 AM »

Buy some ointment.  disgust

I sold my collectors edition to your step-bro, Mik.

OUT FTW.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2006, 03:11:30 AM »

Heh

No the point is, paladins still are just as good as ever on living, but now they have added serious damage ot the mix.

My friend was a 51 in the 51-59 bg's and housing 59's.

They are really, really, really nice right now

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2006, 03:37:58 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on December 16, 2006, 03:11:30 AM

Heh

No the point is, paladins still are just as good as ever on living, but now they have added serious damage ot the mix.

My friend was a 51 in the 51-59 bg's and housing 59's.

They are really, really, really nice right now

I'll take your word for it, but in the BG's that doesn't mean squat. All depends on the people your fighting, if they suck or are undergeared you will stomp them. If they are good and well equipped they will kick your ass. I still think a Paladin in PVP is a joke, unless its in a support role. A cleanse/heal bot or maybe a flag runner in WSG perhaps. Each time I've done Arathi Basin I've never, ever seen a Paladin anywhere near the top in damage/kills/honor kills.

Ascendent
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2006, 07:10:22 PM »

Paladins make excellent flag runners due to their resiliance.  Two paladins can hold off 4-5 horde at a cap point in AB with no problem.  They have amazing survival skills and a nice damage burst within a stunlock.  I'll be rolling up a BE Pally for the horde come expansion time. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2006, 11:01:40 PM »

Quote from: Ascendent on December 16, 2006, 03:37:58 PM

I still think a Paladin in PVP is a joke, unless its in a support role. A cleanse/heal bot or maybe a flag runner in WSG perhaps. Each time I've done Arathi Basin I've never, ever seen a Paladin anywhere near the top in damage/kills/honor kills.

I played a paladin and was an anchor for my team in Arathi Basin battlegrounds. I was never near the top in damage/kills/honor kills either, and if that's what you're trying to achieve by playing PVP then yeah, the paladin is a joke in pvp.

However, I was a great defender for control points. I could personally hold off 2-3 hordies depending on their skill/gear for enough time for our patrollers to drop by if I needed the assist. Even if I still dropped, the time it took them plus the ratio of 2-3:1 left the rest of their team outnumbered by the rest of my team. icon_wink Which was precisely the point.

I never was top of any charts, but I was in many cases a critical part of our war efforts. I loved it.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2006, 05:55:34 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 16, 2006, 07:10:22 PM

Paladins make excellent flag runners due to their resiliance.  Two paladins can hold off 4-5 horde at a cap point in AB with no problem.  They have amazing survival skills and a nice damage burst within a stunlock.  I'll be rolling up a BE Pally for the horde come expansion time. 

Maybe it's my level but 2 on 5 is quick death for anyone, unless the 5 are afk. If I'm out numbered 3 to 1 I'll get maybe a 7-8 seconds before they kill me. (39 druid) Granted I'm no grand master pvper but I do have over 3000 kills so I know how to survive and run like a bitch when the need arises. All it takes is a stun (Yes I have a trinket but that means squat when your outnumbered and surrounded) and thats it, I know a Pally can just bubble but thats only buying him a few extra seconds.

And the thing is I do have a level 60 Paladin and as much as I wished he kicked ass he's pretty lackluster, though that could be in part that his gear is terrible.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2006, 06:14:53 PM »

Early on if you have a good wand, at your level, your wand damage does as much if not more than your spell damage does.  You dont have downtime if you finish off most of your mobs with the wand, meaning you get serious regen time.  Hit your dot, maybe smack em with a spell or two, smack em with the wand till they die.   I know how nice spirit tap is, o how I know.  However, after using just the enchanter wands helping level a noob, it amazed me how much more efficient it is.  When you get mind flay, and your spells get more useful, yes, spirit tap becomes a godsend. Early on Wand spec wins.  As you go shadow and start melting faces, you'd be suprised how handy your wand is in a fight.  It doesnt get interrupted, it cant be disarmed, the dps is good and it doesn't use any mana.

It's also 5 points wasted that could be put into something else.  All I ever used my wand for was to finish off a target, which works just fine without the talent.  If you ask me, but that's just if you ask, it's a huge waste of 5 talent points if you are going shadow.

glyc

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2006, 04:44:51 AM »

yeah but everyone respecs after they are done leveling....

One would also argue blackout isnt all that amazing in the whole scheme of life and others would claim it's thier livelyhood.

Also Spirit tap is only good if you are getting the kills.  If you are designated heal beeyotch for all leveling you do, it's a useless skill.  However if you pvp and are fighting multiple targets, it can make your fight. 

5 points is a lot for wand spec,.. I will give you that.  A good dps item that takes no mana and lets you renegn mana is a godsend for priests.   It's all about how you want to play your priest.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2006, 08:25:13 PM »

yeah but everyone respecs after they are done leveling....

True, but most respec into disc or holy for raids, so this really isn't even relevant.  My point was that if you are planning to level using the shadow tree, wand specialization is a worthless waste of 5 talent points.

One would also argue blackout isnt all that amazing in the whole scheme of life and others would claim it's thier livelyhood.

Very true, just like a mage's Impact talent.  I had Blackout in my first build, thought it was pretty "meh" and scrapped it for 5 points in Shadow Focus.  On the other hand, my old roommate used to swear by it.  He insisted it was worth the investment, but I never thought it proc'd nearly enough.

Also Spirit tap is only good if you are getting the kills.  If you are designated heal beeyotch for all leveling you do, it's a useless skill.  However if you pvp and are fighting multiple targets, it can make your fight.

The only I time I ever grouped was for hard elite quests I could not solo or for instances.  Almost every quest in the game that is not elite can be solo'd, even with a puny cloth-wearing priest.

5 points is a lot for wand spec,.. I will give you that.  A good dps item that takes no mana and lets you renegn mana is a godsend for priests.   It's all about how you want to play your priest.

Yep, that's my point.  If you aren't going to solo much and plan on going disc spec from the beginning, it is certainly worth the points.  If you are going shadow until 60, it's a complete waste.  That's just from my experiences taking a priest from 1-60 on a PvP server.  PvE means you don't have to worry about being forced into a fight, so I'm sure it would be much easier to level a priest as a holy or disc spec.

glyc

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2006, 09:11:44 PM »

all my priest levelin has been done on pvp servers.

This is from watching my firends level priests and how much better wands are early on than everyone realises.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: