http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 01:59:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallen Earth launches today  (Read 11054 times)
vizionblind
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2010, 06:30:13 PM »

weird, I could not find the free trial download link
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2010, 08:04:32 PM »

Quote from: vizionblind on January 08, 2010, 06:30:13 PM

weird, I could not find the free trial download link
It's over here (it is not in the downloads section of the official site)
https://www.fallenearth.com/trial

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2010, 08:23:05 PM »

I got this installed on my desktop last night and started up the trial.

The specs on my system are a 3ghz AMD 64 single core, 2 gigs ram, and an ATI XTX1900 graphics card.

Going with the default graphic options the game set, I was getting in the 30s for FPS in the tutorial area, and 20s - 30s when I got outside.  There was stuttering when new graphic models loaded, but otherwise it was fine.

Getting out into the 'countryside' my fps shot up drastically because it's a post-apocalyptic world and there isn't much out there.  smile  I was running in the 60s-70s on the outskirts of town.

From the in-game chat, I found out the several large cities in the game turn into a slide show for systems that meet spec requirements for the game.  I'm fine with lowering settings when going into over-crowded areas like that.

I'll give this trial more time than the 15 minutes I gave it when it was on my laptop.  I've enjoyed it so far.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2010, 09:03:25 PM »

2 gig of ram is not really enough. I uped to 4 gig and it made a big difference all round. The game is a bit of a system hog really.

I have joined a Clan called The Old Gamers, clan for old farts like me but really it is a solo game mostly.

I am only up to level 6 however there is so much to do i don't spend so much time levelling. I am doing all the starter towns to get the early AP's (action Points) At level 6 i have 110 so far. Specializing in Rifles on this toon with a little bit of crafting for ammo, feed, food.

Did have some luck and got a really good drop at level 1 that i sold for 2000 chips giving me enough to get a decent mount.

Really enjoying it so far.

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2010, 09:14:35 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on January 18, 2010, 09:03:25 PM

2 gig of ram is not really enough. I uped to 4 gig and it made a big difference all round. The game is a bit of a system hog really.

I have joined a Clan called The Old Gamers, clan for old farts like me but really it is a solo game mostly.

I am only up to level 6 however there is so much to do i don't spend so much time levelling. I am doing all the starter towns to get the early AP's (action Points) At level 6 i have 110 so far. Specializing in Rifles on this toon with a little bit of crafting for ammo, feed, food.

Did have some luck and got a really good drop at level 1 that i sold for 2000 chips giving me enough to get a decent mount.

Really enjoying it so far.

If I could shove more in, I would gladly.   Unfortunately, my mother board only supports 2 gigs of ram.

My video card is 512 meg, which helps with texture loads.

Yep, that type of clan sounds like my speed. smile

Where do you notice the biggest performance hits in the game?  I've already been told about major cities, which I hope to reach during my trial to see how it is.  Are there other areas I can go to  for performance comparisons?

As I said, except for some choppiness loading up new graphic assets, the game's been running fine.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »

I'm still playing and having a great time. Going pistol with blades for melee.

I think I've started over 3 or 4 times. LOL

Current guy (who looks to be my keeper) is Zed Salt and is currently killing and scavenging around Mumford. I'll look up The Old Gamers (heck, I think I was with them in another game years ago) when I finally decide to keep this guy.

Still loving the game and the world just not getting to play as much as I want to.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2010, 11:48:33 PM »

I thought Zed was dead....Marcellus must be slipping
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2010, 11:58:24 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on January 18, 2010, 11:48:33 PM

I thought Zed was dead....Marcellus must be slipping
/whoosh

Right over my head.  icon_biggrin

Zed comes from an old pulp Sci-fi book that I love called "For Texas and Zed" (it's as deep as the title makes it out to be)

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2010, 12:10:12 AM »

two words:  Pulp Fiction

"Zed is dead baby"
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on January 19, 2010, 12:10:12 AM

two words:  Pulp Fiction

"Zed is dead baby"

ah, no wonder I didn't get the reference...I hate that movie.  icon_lol

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »

I went into Embry Crossroads today and KABOOM!  There went my FPS.

I was able to put all distance sliders down to zero and climb back up to 10-15 fps though.

As long as places like a major city are the only ones where my frame rate goes into the toilet, I think I can play this game on a regular basis.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2010, 09:30:44 PM »

I was in the beta but got very poor performance on my rig, which admittedly was not up to the minimum CPU specs.  Hard to figure since IMHO the graphics were OK but not great.  Embry Xroads was terrible for performance and it sounds like they never did fix that.  I liked the game but not enough to buy a new computer to play it.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on January 19, 2010, 09:30:44 PM

I was in the beta but got very poor performance on my rig, which admittedly was not up to the minimum CPU specs.  Hard to figure since IMHO the graphics were OK but not great.  Embry Xroads was terrible for performance and it sounds like they never did fix that.  I liked the game but not enough to buy a new computer to play it.

The main reason for the performance issues with the game is because they have a physics engine.  That's what the dual core processor handles and what causes the frames to drop.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2010, 06:37:10 PM »

Probably pointless with all the STO madness going around, but...

I'm still having a great time with this and am continually amazed at how real the world feels.

And not a single loading screen.  ninja

Randall Semanas - level 6 using a crossbox (made it myself) and an axe handle (made it myself). Heading to Embry shortly.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2010, 08:28:38 PM »

I'm up to Level 9 now, using a crossbow, working on my atv quest line and doing more starter towns to get all my AP's.

Play an hour or so a day at least.

Have no interest in STO, feels like another CO which i bought and really hated.

Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2010, 04:56:21 AM »

Just a heads up to anyone interested in this. mmorpg.com is currently giving away 2,000 keys (about 1,500 left as I type this) that allow you to play for 30 days free and counts as a full retail key worth 39.99. You do need to supply payment info when creating an account, but can cancel before the 30 days are up to avoid billing if you decide not to subscribe. Only proviso for using the key is that you don't have a current sub, nor have tried their 10-day trial in the last 60 days. Good value if you get one - saves the entire retail purchase price.

Edit: The keys are gone now.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:57:56 PM by Barrakketh » Logged
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »

Quote from: Barrakketh on March 04, 2010, 04:56:21 AM

Just a heads up to anyone interested in this. mmorpg.com is currently giving away 2,000 keys (about 1,500 left as I type this) that allow you to play for 30 days free and counts as a full retail key worth 39.99. You do need to supply payment info when creating an account, but can cancel before the 30 days are up to avoid billing if you decide not to subscribe. Only proviso for using the key is that you don't have a current sub, nor have tried their 10-day trial in the last 60 days. Good value if you get one - saves the entire retail purchase price.

Edit: The keys are gone now.

It looks like there are still 900ish left.

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/150/Fallen-Earth-Free-Game-Giveaway.html

Get em while you can!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2010, 04:15:23 PM »

Went ahead and grabbed a key, gonna give this a try.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »

cool...just got a key....thanks for the heads up!!

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2010, 12:00:20 AM »

I cannot say I like or dislike it yet....but, I am really not far in the game. Interesting, though....but not sure about it. It has a SWG vibe (how that game used to be), which I think is a good thing.

Anyone else playing this?

Chris

Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2010, 01:00:02 AM »

Quote from: MythicalMino on March 06, 2010, 12:00:20 AM

I cannot say I like or dislike it yet....but, I am really not far in the game. Interesting, though....but not sure about it. It has a SWG vibe (how that game used to be), which I think is a good thing.

Anyone else playing this?

Chris

Nice to see they added another 2000 keys - that first batch went up late in the day and were gone pretty fast so it was easy to miss.

I played the 10-day trial back in January. I'm waiting out the 60-day delay before I apply the new key from mmorpg.com. I should be back in next week. Having only played to around 9th level, I can't speak for the higher level content, but I enjoyed the low level stuff a lot. Tons of crafting - everything I was wearing I made myself. Also made my own weapons, and at 9th my arsenal was a 3-iron, a lawnmower blade, a fireplace poker, a crossbow, and two paintball zip guns. Combat took me a little time to get used to. The animations are a bit stiff as well.

The missions are mostly pretty standard, although some of the dialogue is pretty funny. The world is large. The towns are quest hubs but I've also stumbled on npcs out in the middle of nowhere with a mission or two. I would advise to be careful where you assign skill points - there is no respec I am aware of. I like the idea of assigning points earned as you level - gives me an Asheron's Call or Anarchy Online vibe.

MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2010, 10:28:11 PM »

so, do we have a decent guild or whatever I can join in this game?

Chris

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »

If anyone wants a free copy of this game, PM me. I have a spare key, but it must be activated by the end of the month.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2010, 03:47:54 PM »

If the game is any different than the beta was, I'd take a key.  If it hasn't changed at all, I'll pass slywink
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2010, 07:42:19 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 29, 2010, 03:47:54 PM

If the game is any different than the beta was, I'd take a key.  If it hasn't changed at all, I'll pass slywink

Oh god its changed so much I wouldn't even know where to begin. The graphical and performance updates are the most obvious. The extended tutorial (with a free mount), new crafting skills, and loads of little things make up the bulk of it. It all adds up though.

Here is some news from today.
http://www.massively.com/2010/03/29/pax-east-2010-fallen-earth-patch-1-4-preview/

After Champions Online I've decided to enact a 6-month rule on any new MMOG's which is why I haven't posted much on these forums lately. I [mostly] held off on playing Fallen Earth, but now they have had their 6-month anniversary so I'm in.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2010, 01:28:39 PM »

Decided to try FE. Pleasantly surprised. Very deep MMO from my early look. Crafting can play a huge roll in any character's career..and it really feels fleshed out well.
The atmosphere is good...The graphics more than serviceable. I'm starting to like the combat at well. I'm playing a melee character at the moment and find it fun and engaging.

So much better than STO and the other instancing heavy MMO's. Other than the tutorial, I haven't seen an instance yet.

Lots of stuff to look after. Mounts need feeding\fueling..repairs, etc....

I love the queuing up in crafting, then logging off. You log back on and all the different recipes you had running are done. Crafting an item isn't an instant thing. It goes faster if you're need the appropriate station, but crafting in the middle of now where is slow...So just queue them up, and off you go on your mission or whatever, or even log off.

Niche market MMO for sure, if only because of the high rating its received..17+ I believe.

But I think this one is gonna run for a while.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »

make sure you check this before you play much.  no way to get back AP currently

http://globaltechplanner.info/
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »

Thanks for the link. Going pure melee with this guy...so I wont be splitting points in any other combat skills.
Medicine, cook...the only two crafts I'm going to major in.
I'll follow the "melee" in game guide for most of the time, maybe venture off a bit when I feel more comfortable with the game.

No respecs in the game yet I guess?

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2010, 11:52:38 AM »

Fallen Earth's lead designer apparently left to join the dev of Marvel Universe Online:
Lead Game Designer Lee Hammock leaving Fallen Earth
http://www.massively.com/2010/04/05/lead-game-designer-lee-hammock-leaving-fallen-earth/
Since the community director scolded Massively for putting 2012 as a release date (not exactly "just around the corner") MUO doesn't sound like something coming out any time soon. Which I guess makes it appealing as something to work on. You know you'll probably be employed for at least a couple more years.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:56:43 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2010, 04:09:23 PM »

they need to bring in Richard Garriott as the designer and Tom Clancy as the writer.  after that they can change the name to Richard Garriott's Tom Clancy's Fallen Earth,

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2010, 06:49:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 06, 2010, 04:09:23 PM

they need to bring in Richard Garriott as the designer and Tom Clancy as the writer.  after that they can change the name to Richard Garriott's Tom Clancy's Fallen Earth,
That will only ensure that the game gets overbudgeted and canceled. Do you really want that?  icon_razz

I used to get carried away with Tom Clancy-isms too. I thought the simplest idea was for an official game to be made about... Tom Clancy. Therefore...

Tom Clancy'sTM Tom ClancyTM
Perfecto!  retard
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:51:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »

Wow this game is deep, and a bit convoluted and confusing. There are so many choices to building your character and the ability to really gimp it for end game. I know its designed as a sand box type of game...but if you make a few mistakes apparently it can really hamper you later. Is it really a sand box game then?

I find it fun and at the same time frustrating. People say, "just play the way you want and have fun"..then you read 2 seconds later..." You better do this and get that or you'll be very gimped".

A sure fire candidate for "Diamond in the rough MMO of the year" so far......but its the rough that's distracting me.

I'm not a min-max type of player so I could just breeze through the game willy-nilly...but the chances are I wont have much to do at end game with a gimped specc'ed character.

Anyone have any tips to eliminate the quandary and paralyzing effect of having so many options, and choices that could ruin the game play later on?

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2010, 05:09:31 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on April 07, 2010, 01:05:35 PM

Anyone have any tips to eliminate the quandary and paralyzing effect of having so many options, and choices that could ruin the game play later on?

Its a good idea to have a character design in mind before you start ANY MMOG, but much more so in Fallen Earth.

The best place to start is here:
http://www.globaltechatlas.info/2009/08/character-planning-guide.html

Print it, live by it. slywink

The AP quest guide is another must-have. Its on the same site along with a million other great guides.
http://www.globaltechatlas.info/2009/05/some-tutorial-helptips.html

This is one of those games where its best to read up on everything before you start playing rather than after.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2010, 05:22:26 PM »

I know this game has nothing in common with Champions, but that was a problem I had during open beta and re-visit. No matter how I mixed up my favorite powers, I always ended up with a build that didn't seem effective and couldn't solo the content I tried without problems. I think part of the problem with giving players endless flexibility is it's too easy to lead new players into dead zones and broken builds, and a lot of us get frustrated quickly. True I could've read forum build suggestions, but ya know, I wanted to use certain powers I enjoyed using, and it was just frustrating not to be able to have success that way.

As far as the Fallen Earth lead designer leaving, I meant to tip my hat. Cause I figure if some big budget MMO project was impressed enough with his work to hire him away, then he must have done something right on Fallen Earth.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »

Having a blast, still. This is a good MMO. Deep in the sense of many things to do. I'm surprised there isn't more buzz here about it.

I have a pure Melee guy at lv-12.........yes I'm taking it slow, and easy. Lots to scavange, craft(if you want)....big zones(sectors)...
If this game stays on track it will be an amazing MMO in a year or so. There is such an attentive attitude to it from the devs\mods.

And an added bonus is the player base is one of the most mature bunch I've run into in a MMO in a long time.

Jump in, the waters fine. icon_lol

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2010, 02:17:57 PM »

downloading a 10 day trial now.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2010, 02:37:34 PM »

I think my biggest complaint on this one is how deep it is, which isn't really a complaint in the long run.  The fact that you could easily screw your character up combined with the lack of any respec is an issue though, so definitely make sure you do some research ahead of time.

Really though, mmo's are investments in time so I don't see having to research your future as a big downside.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »

I was in a bit of tizzy when I first started playing the game.(stats, skills, etc)But if you don't feel like researching all the forums for the optimum build..(which is only really needed for PvP)the drop down list on the Stats page gives you many, many choices to style your character after. Even builds for every faction. Right now Im modelling my melee guy on the CHOTA faction build for melee. Basically tells you what skills, stats, etc to put points into. Removed alot of the "fretting over points" for me.

It really is a MMO that doesn't take you by the hand in much. I do recommend doing the extended tutorial. It also gives you a mount at the end of it.

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »

I picked the extended tutorial and the guy asked me where I wanted to go, I picked the town with pistol/melee.  first mission was to beat on some chickens, did that no problem.  Second mission is to use stun on a coyote; OMG all I find are starving coyotes, they dont count it appears, and they own my ass.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2010, 11:18:50 PM »

This worth $15?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: