http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:36:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everquest Next and Everquest Next Landmark  (Read 3798 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2010, 12:03:53 AM »

relax, supposedly that's just the working title, but SOE has mentioned they are working on the next Everquest.  they even have a couple of screenshots out.  now the real question is can the market support 3 Everquests?  isn't this kind of uncharted territory?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:44:32 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:28:18 AM »

Wait, they finally confirmed that they're working on this? Where, as I'm curious to read up on it?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 12:34:14 AM »

they haven't made an official announcement yet, various other sites are pretty much running the same story 'it's been revealed but that's about it', like here at massively.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 02:17:36 AM »

And from a bit more info:

It's also apparently being designed "from the ground up with PVP in mind."

If that holds true, I'm out. Of course, PvP always felt like it was tacked-on in EQ1 and 2...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:34:05 PM »

Depends on what they do with the PvP. If the implementation is similar to Warhammer where you have the option to level up entirely without touching PvP and the death penalty for PvP is almost non-existant than I'll likely give it a whirl.

EQ 2's strong point was the PvE so I hope they don't lose focus on that. Still some of my favorite dungeon runs come from EQ2.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »

I can't wait to hear more.  PvP in EQ2 was decent and didn't feel too "tacked on" but it would be even better if they focused on it from the ground up.  Will they remain casual like EQ2 or go more hardcore like EQ1/Vanguard?
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on August 09, 2010, 11:34:05 PM

Still some of my favorite dungeon runs come from EQ2.

Agreed!  Huge world full of all sorts of nook and crannies.  Nek Castle is just fun and I ran it over and over and over.

morlac00 on PSN
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 07:50:58 PM »

Quote from: morlac on August 10, 2010, 07:33:04 PM

Agreed!  Huge world full of all sorts of nook and crannies.  Nek Castle is just fun and I ran it over and over and over.

Well, to be honest, even if it wasn't fun you still probably would have ran it over and over and over... smile  Such is the nature of the fantasy MMO.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 08:00:06 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on August 10, 2010, 07:50:58 PM

Quote from: morlac on August 10, 2010, 07:33:04 PM

Well, to be honest, even if it wasn't fun you still probably would have ran it over and over and over... smile  Such is the nature of the fantasy MMO.

Nah, there were enough places in EQ2 that I had plenty of other options.  However, I did run the bloodlines mini expansion over and over and over until I had collected a whole pack of cute little hell hound puppies.  That dungeon kind of sucked so yea good point smile  Nek castle though is just awesome. 

morlac00 on PSN
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:05 PM »

That would be a cool twist of learning from a former competitor if the next version of EQ was inspired by the faction/realm based rvr of daoc...with 3 factions.   
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 08:23:41 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on August 10, 2010, 08:03:05 PM

That would be a cool twist of learning from a former competitor if the next version of EQ was inspired by the faction/realm based rvr of daoc...with 3 factions.   

Why go with only 3 factions when we can have 6!

Not sure how 3 factions would fit into their lore but I am intrigued.  I guess they could be City based.  Qeynos, Freeport that Kunark one.  PVP is a balance nightmare so I can't say  I am thrilled with that being their focus.  As others have said the excell at PVE so this will be interesting.

morlac00 on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 11:49:36 PM »

I wonder if they'll put in 'the class that can't be named in EQ2' (Beastlords - and seriously, the world is outright banned on their forums) from EQ1 into it. biggrin

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 10, 2010, 11:49:36 PM

I wonder if they'll put in 'the class that can't be named in EQ2' (Beastlords - and seriously, the world is outright banned on their forums) from EQ1 into it. biggrin

Yea what gives with that?  Why no beastlords in number 2?

morlac00 on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 01:31:56 AM »

Quote from: morlac on August 10, 2010, 11:51:11 PM

Quote from: Destructor on August 10, 2010, 11:49:36 PM

Yea what gives with that?  Why no beastlords in number 2?

And I quote (which I can't find offhand): "We'll put in Beastlords as soon as all the other classes are balanced."

Or this post on the official forums (which is stickied and locked):

The Dark Elf Says:

WE HAVE NO PLANS TO BRING BEAST-LORDS INTO THIS GAME.  NO.  NOT HAPPENING.  UH UH.  NO WAY.  NEIN.  NYET. NON.

Read my lips.  No, new classes.

** This message brought to you by Kiara   And the number 12.  And the letters P and Q.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 02:03:32 AM »

No, new classes.

No?  New classes?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on August 10, 2010, 08:03:05 PM

Except that EQ1 is probably doing better than DAOC and Warhammer combined.  As much as I would love to see a RvR EQ game, I think it's a niche market.  Would SOE be satisfied with that or are they going to go after the bigger share?  Strictly from a financial point of view, I think they'd probably go for the latter and make a game similar to EQ2/WoW.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 07:22:10 PM »

Everquest Next explained.

First, everything in EverQuest Next is made of voxels -- the ground, the plants, buildings, everything. What's a voxel? Think Minecraft cubes, only you can actually form and shape each bit in a very organic way. Just look at the image embedded in this article -- do they seem blocky to you? Nope.

So why is having a world made of voxels important to you? Because it means everything in the world can be destroyed! If you wanted a way to affect the world, just envision actually blowing up a bridge to keep mobs from getting to you or collapsing a tunnel so no one else can find the cavern and quests underneath. And these changes are permanent. Isn't true permanency in games something many a sandbox fan has just been longing for? Well, this is only the beginning; permanence is a theme throughout the entire game. Of course, just because everything can be destroyed doesn't mean the devs will let you! As Georgeson explained to me, if some areas weren't restricted, Qeynos would become a parking lot in no time thanks to all you pyromaniacs. Keep in mind, though, such restrictions are only on players, not mobs.

The second compositional aspect is the fact that the world of EQ Next is not restricted to its surface. I am not talking about a few scattered underground caverns scattered; I am talking about a completely designed world from crust to core. Since you can start digging pretty much anywhere, you will actually find content as you go deeper and deeper and deeper still. This layered content isn't necessarily static, either. Lower levels are procedurally generated and can be closed off by dev-induced earthquakes or crop up elsewhere.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 08:40:45 PM »

These apparently are not the same blocky voxels as from the early 90's cause it looks pretty fantastic from the screencaps and videos. Here's a short video showing one way the world has destructive environments.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »

I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.  Sure, many ways they can fail but at least they are being ambitious.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/02/first-look-everquest-next/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 08:54:24 PM »

I think it's interesting that we finally are moving towards voxels.  Been a long time since I looked into it but I think the original problem was horsepower and we have come a long way for that.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 09:10:18 PM »

EQ1 helped make 3dfx cards popular, hey maybe EQN will bring the next gen of voxel processing cards to the market.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »

Sounds great, but I'll be interested to see if they can actually pull it off.  GW2 promised similar dynamic events, but they didn't work nearly as well in practice as in theory.  For example, this sounds really cool:

A gang of orcs, for example, won’t simply appear at a specific point in the world, replenishing shortly after they have been eliminated. Instead, when they appear, they react to the changing world. They act as bandits, and their purpose is to steal and murder. Therefore, they’ll lurk near settlements, finding good positions to carry out roadside ambushes as goods and people travel from village to village.

If a group of players start to patrol that road, clashing with the orcs, the parameters change. The AI reinterprets the situation, checking if the threat level is too high and possibly deciding to move on, wandering until it discovers a new suitable location. Or perhaps not. It’s possible that a particular group of players won’t present a strong enough threat, in which case the orcs could become more confident, preparing an assault. Or maybe they have a leader who will call for reinforcements.

If you happen to stumble into that part of the world while all this is going on, will you actually notice?  Or will it just feel like another part of a quest chain with larger than normal group of mobs?  That's where GW2's events fell down, IMO.  If you were involved in the whole dynamic event, it could actually be pretty cool.  Especially if you'd seen it a couple times before and knew what was changing as a result of player actions.  Problem was that by the end of most of them, it was typically just a massive throng of PC's wailing away at a big baddie with no idea of how or why it came to be there.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 09:28:02 PM »

GW2 events have no permanence.  They gave an example where an event in EQN could involve the start of building a city that lasts 3 months.  Assuming that this is a branching event (they weren't too clear), you might end up with a city on some servers and no city on others.  e.g. one server couldn't stop the goblins from coming in and killing the builders.  This kind of scenario is very different from GW2's repeating centaur invasions.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »

beta signups.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:33:46 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 01:10:03 AM »

Your link could use some improvement: https://www.everquestnext.com/beta-registration

But yeah, after reading about this I can say that if they can pull this off I will play the shit out of this game.  It feels like a big budget take on Minecraft with lots of RPG elements, which just sounds like cake frosted with more cake.  biggrin

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 01:57:37 AM »

http://gamingtrend.com/2013/08/02/everquest-next-announced-with-media-blowout/

We've got all the inside skinny.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 02:34:20 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 03, 2013, 01:10:03 AM

Your link could use some improvement: https://www.everquestnext.com/beta-registration

huh, hitting back to go to the page must have added the other part.  thanks for pointing it out, didn't even think to look since the page displayed right on my end.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 02:54:21 AM »

Man, I'll never finish the first two games before this comes out.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 03, 2013, 01:57:37 AM

The art direction seemed a bit to cartonish or WOWish for my taste.  I preferred the high fantasy look/feel of EQ2.  The level less system, destructible enviroments, radiant ai etc. look to be really breaking the mold though.  I suppose character 'power' will be defined by abilities/skills and loot?  How does that effect grouping?

I would sign up for the beta but my pc is ancient, I really need a new one.

morlac00 on PSN
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 06:44:46 AM »

I'm afraid to get my hopes up but man this really looks like something I had pretty much given up hope on.  Anyone remember this sad blog post I wrote way back when?

http://rittchard.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/what-happened-to-the-mmorpg-genre/

I wrote that 3 and a half years ago, after probably stewing on the topic for a year or so.  I had pretty much forgotten all about it until this new EQ stuff was announced.  Incredibly it's been over 10 years since Shadowbane.  This is the first sign of life of a mainstream sandbox MMORPG title - I so so so hope they do it right, at least to the level that other developers start looking at the possibilities for something really innovative in the genre.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 10:14:09 PM »

Honestly, I'm excited. I have no qualms about the art style (although a lot of people do), and I find the ideas presented to all be good ones. Here's to hoping that it turns out like SoE (I almost wrote 989 Studios there - I feel old) wants them to be.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 11:24:26 AM »

I thought EQ2's art style looked neat at first, but it got boring after awhile, so I'm all for a change up.  pus I think the change may be to make the game less GPU intensive.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »

Since my only memory of voxels is really blurry NovaLogic air combat sim games (various Comanche chopper games), I'm just curious to see how far voxels have come since then.

Everquest was never my thing (bought it in 1999 and played maybe 3 weeks), so I'm skeptical whether the ability to burrow through voxels like a gopher will change that.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 03:48:15 PM »

I looked up voxels and was surprised to see some of the newer games that used them in one way or another.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 07:07:29 PM »

This uses the voxel farm engine, it handles the voxels and voxel rendering, which is also used in titles like Starforge. But you can see what a AAA studio can do with it.

Voxel farm's site:
http://procworld.blogspot.ca/

So you can see some of the other stuff done with voxels and that particular voxel engine. Otherwise, it's plugged into Forgelight, which is what powers Planetside 2.

I'm just hoping they optimize forgelight more for PCs, it's ridiculously bad for Planetside 2. Although apparently the reason why it's so bad is that the devs have spent a majority of their time working on the PS4 version for optimization, but many of the optimizations will translate to PCs since the architecture is so similar.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 07:20:16 PM »

I hated the cartoon art style when I first saw it (my exact words were, "Oh great, World of EverCraft."). However once they showed the facial emotes I was sold. And there's no denying that the spell effects are pretty. 
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 02:03:22 AM »

I'm not a fan of cartoony style either but if they live up to delivering half of the cool new stuff they are promising, I'm in.  The Kerran needs to look more like a lion and less like a Disney puppy.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »

A stylized art design, cartoony or not, is practically required for games like this. It keeps the art rendering and memory requirements down for the most complex parts, the characters, which then leaves resources for the world.

Also, SOE is continuing with the whole player made content thing with Landmark, which is what they're calling it. They have systems in place for Everquest, Planetside 2, and now EQ. It's pretty much the same system that Valve uses with TF2 and DOTA 2, maybe not as well integrated yet, but I suspect EQN's Landmark system will handle it better. All in all, a great feature for players and artists, you can make some extra money, the percentage you get from these is pretty reasonable. I know a few artists who are making a living wage from their creations, and I'm actually making items for DOTA 2 and Planetside 2 right now, so I'm already planning some stuff for EQN.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 05, 2013, 07:20:16 PM

I hated the cartoon art style when I first saw it (my exact words were, "Oh great, World of EverCraft."). However once they showed the facial emotes I was sold. And there's no denying that the spell effects are pretty. 

I hadn't watched the whole video, but you're right, the facial emotes are awesome.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 04:37:41 PM »

I like a lot of the things I see with this. I just hope they use the Free-to-Play model they used for Vanguard: SoH  as opposed to the terrible model they came up with for EQ2.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: