http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 11:33:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everquest II Patch Question  (Read 1352 times)
VynlSol
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2005, 03:48:53 PM »

I've been sitting on a copy of the Collector's Addtion of EQ 2 since the game went live. Last night, I decided to give it a shot.

I'm on a dial up connection at home, I started the patching process last night around 10:30pm. This morning on my way out to work, it said I still have 25 hours worth of downloading left.

This is just to patch up to current game specs...this does not include any additional texture packs, sound packs, etc. Nor does this include any of the Adventure Packs.

So, my question: Is there anywhere I can go to download any of the patches? Outside of the game? Here at work, I have a blazingly fast connection, and would love to pull all that content onto a cd/dvd and patch the game manually.

Thanks!
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 06:27:23 PM »

This is the best info I could find:

Actually you can download patches without using launch pad.  First you will have to launch launchpad so that it gets the most recent listing of available patches.  Then you open the file: C:\Program Files\Sony\Station\Launchpad\lp_eq2env.xml.  All the URL's for the different patches are listed in the file.  
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 06:29:11 PM »

Thanks ericb!
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 01:36:12 AM »

For anyone who may be interested:

Thanks to ericb's post, I came home from work and looked into this.

The file "C:\Program Files\Sony\Station\Launchpad\lp_eq2env.xml" contains some urls, but not for the actual patch files. It does, however, contain the url to the file that DOES have the list of patch files smile

http://64.37.156.21:7010/patch/eq2/en/eq2-update.xml will get you the file that contains a list of all the patch files available. From that you can then deduce how to acquire them.

For example, if you want to download enchanted.vpk_delta_1.gz

You would enter the following in your browser:

http://64.37.156.21:7010/patch/eq2/en/patch1/main/paks/enchanted.vpk_delta_1.gz

Use winRar or some such to decompress and then cut and paste into the appropriate location on your hard drive.

Or in my case, write a script that parses the eq2-update.xml file and auto-pull all that content at work then burn it onto a dvd smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 12:03:07 PM »

That's good information to know.  Thanks!

And on a related topic... is anyone else just mildly blown away with the amount of work that has gone into this game since release?  It's sort of mind boggling when you really think about it, isn't it?

Forget the Blizzard / SoE comparisons, and the why's and why nots for a second, and just look at it for what it is.  I think it's impressive to say the least.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 12:17:07 PM »

Yes, there's a lot of work put in the game.

However, you have to wonder how much work would have been put in if not for the massive competition between many MMOs including WoW.  Then it becomes obvious that the work is just as much a sign of competition being a good thing, as it is developers putting more effort into the game.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 12:18:50 PM »

I doubt half of what's been done in EQ2 would be complete and ingame now if it wasn't for WoW.  The addition of 2 extra character slots, the off-line selling, the in game mail system, etc are all pretty much due to pressure from WoW.  The biggest problem right now in EQ2 are the empty servers...they really need to merge the really low population servers...some of them are really empty even during prime time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: