http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 08:09:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 11907 times)
Sparhawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2006, 04:58:24 PM »

Eve name is Spar Hawk

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2006, 02:08:32 AM »

I will add you to my lsit too spar hawk

Good to hear your out of the newb ship.  Fro combat your wanna get into a rifter asap.  They are bad news. smile

Michael Haniotes

"When you woke up this morning you put your faith in something or someone, what or who was it?"
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2006, 02:23:03 AM »

I am on name is Drifter Golder.  

Question does training time only count when logged in or can you be training while logged out?
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2006, 03:07:53 AM »

Quote from: "drifter"

Question does training time only count when logged in or can you be training while logged out?

Training is real time in and out of the game. It's one reason I really like this game. I'll be a good way towards lvl 4 learning before I get to get back into the game tomorrow night.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2006, 12:42:23 PM »

Quote from: "drifter"

If a skill takes 4 hours to train it takes 4 hours of real time.  Whether you are in game or not.  So good thing is that youc an train while not playing.  Its not a bad thing, but you do have to schedule your skills and there is no que to line up the next skill to start automatically.  So try not to waste time by having skills end trainign when you knwo you can be online to start a new skill.

Also you can stop training and start trainign a new skill at any time and not loose any accumulated skill points.

Michael Haniotes

"When you woke up this morning you put your faith in something or someone, what or who was it?"
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2006, 02:00:11 PM »

Quote from: "Mykos"
Also you can stop training and start trainign a new skill at any time and not loose any accumulated skill points.

That is the coolest friggin' feature. You can set off a long skill to train when you're not going to have access to the game for a while and then when you get back to the game change to something else...at least at the start.

Any idea what a Shuttle is for? I made my first one yesterday (and at a large loss, too LOL).

Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2006, 02:31:49 PM »

You got the shuttle blueprint and made one?

Shuttles are used for faster travel between long jumps.  They cant carry much, 10m3 cargohold.  Theya re fast, 500 m/s.  you cannot fit anythign on it like weapons or afterburners.  Its a chepa travel alternative is all.

They sell for at most from the npc market at 9k.  players usually dont sell them.

Michael Haniotes

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2006, 02:47:58 PM »

You got the shuttle blueprint and made one?

Yup. I think it cost me about 2,000 ISK to build and it will sell for 650 at the starting base. biggrin

Question, if you don't mind: How do you change your base of operations if you have more than one ship?

Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2006, 04:07:16 PM »

you go to your new base in one ship, get a shuttle, build it or buy it, then fly back to old base and get next ship to fly to new base.  rinse and repeat for however many ships you have.

There is no need to keep your starter ship.  Its not worth much as you progress out of the staretr system and tutorial missions.

Michael Haniotes

Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2006, 04:13:26 PM »

I could have, maybe should have, recommended to not start manufacturing too early.  Learn how the market works.  You can place sell orders for what u want to sell your stuff at for lengths og time form 1 day to 3 months.  You set the price and how many u want to sell.  so find a "ciche" market that youc an fulfill and sell at what u want to sell at.  Just know that prices willbe undercut and there are always fluctuations.

One of the hot items right now and maybe for a while are small tractor beams.  I don't knwo what qty of minerals they take, but they are being bought by 0.0 manufactures so they can reprocess them in 0.0 for good minerals  for them to build other stuff.  I am assuming they reprocess into a large qty of minerals, which means they also take a large qty of minerals to make.  But it is easier transprting them due to their msall size comapred to the minerals they use.  anyway that sounds hard to explain when i jut did it. smile

Michael Haniotes

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2006, 04:17:24 PM »

Oh...duh...guess I shoulda figured that one out. biggrin

Thanks!

edit:
(on manufacturing)
Good advice. Making the Shuttle was really just an experiment. It was the only BP I could afford. biggrin

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2006, 04:57:22 PM »

I am iching to get home and load up my Kestrel with some awesome firepower and go rat hunting. MUST BLOW SHIT UP!

biggrin

Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2006, 05:36:48 PM »

I did a little market research. in my region, to buy the minerals to make 1 small tractor beam will cost 1.39 mil isk.  A tractor bema in my region sales for lwoest price of 950k, highest price was 1.6 mil.  This is all near base skills in production, so it could be better with a better industrial person.  Prices will also fluctuate between regions

The bigf hting is finding a station you can by nearly all your minerals or your gonna have some hauling time to get mienrals to the right station.

Michael Haniotes

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2006, 07:10:33 PM »

I did a little market research. in my region, to buy the minerals to make 1 small tractor beam will cost 1.39 mil isk.  A tractor bema in my region sales for lwoest price of 950k, highest price was 1.6 mil.  This is all near base skills in production, so it could be better with a better industrial person.  Prices will also fluctuate between regions

The bigf hting is finding a station you can by nearly all your minerals or your gonna have some hauling time to get mienrals to the right station.

I guess that means I might as well hold off on raising my Industry skills for a while.

Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2006, 08:12:30 PM »

There are other thigns you can work on to make stuff.  One thing I used t make and do ok with were combat drones.  Not too bad to make.

Michael Haniotes

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2006, 08:27:07 PM »

There are other thigns you can work on to make stuff.  One thing I used t make and do ok with were combat drones.  Not too bad to make.

Thanks for the advice...gives me something to work towards.

Thanks for answering all my dumb, newbie questions, too.

(I think I'm hooked...I dl'ed the client today so I could check on my skill training from work (it pays to be the boss). biggrin

Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2006, 08:47:13 PM »

hehe i have doen the same at work, but im nto the boss.  iw ork in my families business.

Michael Haniotes

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2006, 04:41:17 AM »

Honestly, after playing almost every single MMO on the market I have to say that EVE is the second best (behind Ultima Online) MMORPG that I have ever played. YES, it takes time to learn the game but after you figure everything out it all clicks. The interface is the best I've ever seen in an MMORPG and the gameplay is deeper than the Grand Canyon. This game is Ultima Online set in space.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2006, 11:06:18 PM »

"Deeper than the Grand Canyon"....brilliant! biggrin

Sooo...what about joining a corp? It'll be a month, probably, before I'm ready to do that, but how does one go about it?

I *will* get those stupid mining drones to do something tonight besides fly around in circles!

Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2006, 11:41:56 PM »

id recommedn not waiting a month to join a corp.  Nothign like doign group stuff.

Michael Haniotes

unbreakable
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2006, 12:07:35 AM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
This game is Ultima Online set in space.

Ugh, I hope not.  I hated UO with the burnling hatred of a thousand suns.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2006, 04:20:12 PM »

With the following Attributes would it be possible to turn Zellin into a repectable fighter in, say, 6 months or so. Maybe specializing in Combat Drones and Electronic Warfare. I want him to be my 'kill all Amarrians' character.

Intelligence   15
Perception   7
Charisma   8
Willpower   10
Memory          11

I think I'm going to make a Caldari/Lai Dai scientist type who might turn into the char I play most.

Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2006, 04:55:35 PM »

Quote from: "LoneStarSpur"
With the following Attributes would it be possible to turn Zellin into a repectable fighter in, say, 6 months or so. Maybe specializing in Combat Drones and Electronic Warfare. I want him to be my 'kill all Amarrians' character.

Intelligence   15
Perception   7
Charisma   8
Willpower   10
Memory          11

I think I'm going to make a Caldari/Lai Dai scientist type who might turn into the char I play most.

attributes don't make the character.  They help in training time only.  They will not make you a better fighter, miner, manufacturer, etc.  So the answer is yes.  If you plan to go that route start now.

You might consider tainign gallente ships as they have some of the larger droen bays in the game.  I love droens and use them a lot on npc ratting.  I do not know how effetive they are in pvp.  I am sure they are somewhat effective.

Michael Haniotes

Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2006, 04:01:51 AM »

support link for lone

link

Michael Haniotes

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2006, 01:35:32 PM »

Wel, Mykos, if I'm going to turn Zellin into a fighter according to your Basic Training Sheet I need to buy and train 21 new skills. And I *definitely* need to start doing some kill missions so I can start honing my fighting skills...since I have none at the moment. :cry:

Thankfully, I had some ISK fall into my lap last night. biggrin

And I'll still be able to keep my options open to possibly helping the Corp down the line with ship-building and the like.

Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2006, 02:23:33 PM »

Wel, Mykos, if I'm going to turn Zellin into a fighter according to your Basic Training Sheet I need to buy and train 21 new skills. And I *definitely* need to start doing some kill missions so I can start honing my fighting skills...since I have none at the moment. :cry:

Thankfully, I had some ISK fall into my lap last night. biggrin

And I'll still be able to keep my options open to possibly helping the Corp down the line with ship-building and the like.

Righto Zel. Welcome aboard.  Jsut follwo the path that you think will give you the most fun.  Thats what we are about.  We will provide opportunities for other activities, but not many of thsoe will be mandatory.

Michael Haniotes

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2006, 03:49:21 PM »

Very cool Dev blog about Kali.

Linkage

Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2006, 04:56:40 PM »

Yes, Kali is going to create a lot of buzz.

Michael Haniotes

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2006, 11:32:40 AM »

Hope you guys are all doing well in eve so far.  I just went through a real busy period and am still settling in my new home.  My situation and prospects went through a couple radical changes in the last few weeks in eve.

Things are definitely lookin up as we look towards Kali.  zero zero space is finally going to be TRUELY colonizable with the soveriegnty system in place fully.  On the other hand soveriegnty will be a very very high bar to reach most likely requiring more than 2 outposts to obtain in a system.  But then, who wouldn't want to be able to build gate guns in their 0.0 space and lock it down from enemy cap ships jumping in-=)

I work for Dragon's Rage corp now and just finished making my way out.  Dragon's rage is 50+ jumps from empire space....true deep fringe space.   I flew out from empire earlier this week with all 3 characters in 2 battleships and a hauler, that was quite a trip and fairly hairy for the first 5 jumps but then went smoothly.  Dragon's Rage is one of about a dozen member corps of ASCN which is the largest alliance in Eve Online.  That said Dragons Rage is probably the smallest corp in ASCN, but still has about 30 players on at peek time in it.  I'm on a high atm, but i've attained this and will be flying a capital ship at only 10 months into the game.  I'm almost there now. I've been working towards the carrier specifically for the last 111 days now as far as skill training.

All i can give for real advice is: Dont get discouraged when your between 2 and 4 months old in game.  Thats the "dead zone" where your tired of real small ships but can't really kick ass with big ones yet as a combat character.  You get past it and eve just lights up.  Thats also when hardcore starting miners burn out hard in sudden puffs of antimatter explosions and delete their accounts.

Watch out for that 2-4 month period....you'll get through it.  I seen lots of folks quit there right before eve really opens up all the way.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2006, 02:03:25 PM »

I'm really not quite sure what to make of this game yet since the first blush of "NEW! OMG this rocks!" is off.

I spent most my my limited time last time flying from system to system and belt to belt in 0.6 trying, and basically failing, to find something to engage so I can get my fighting skills up. It was very frustrating to say the least. And, frankly, I was bored [censored].

Add this to the fact the GS Corp has been, ah, not particularly active (I think due to completely understandable RL issues) and the Alliance emails generally sound like they come from [censored] children makes me wonder if there really is a place in Eve for me.

I should have lots of free time this holiday weekend (I'm looking at *you*, honey!) and should be able to make enough ISK to repay Mykos if I decide to switch corps or decide if I want to continue with the game period.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2006, 08:14:00 AM »

I'm really not quite sure what to make of this game yet since the first blush of "NEW! OMG this rocks!" is off.

I spent most my my limited time last time flying from system to system and belt to belt in 0.6 trying, and basically failing, to find something to engage so I can get my fighting skills up. It was very frustrating to say the least. And, frankly, I was bored [censored].

Add this to the fact the GS Corp has been, ah, not particularly active (I think due to completely understandable RL issues) and the Alliance emails generally sound like they come from [censored] children makes me wonder if there really is a place in Eve for me.

I should have lots of free time this holiday weekend (I'm looking at *you*, honey!) and should be able to make enough ISK to repay Mykos if I decide to switch corps or decide if I want to continue with the game period.

Something seems off in yer understanding of game mechanics....or i should say...not understood yet....

You don't "get combat skills up by engaging targets" unless you mean the act of turning on a shield booster/armor rep and activating your weapons.  Combat is relatively simple affair as its heart but there are multitudes of layers of intracacies in managing cap usage and keeping proper rangers and using the right setups for the right objective for each ship...but thsoe only come with time and expierience, you can't force it, and eve naturally eases you into it by only allowing you to gradually move up in ship type and complexity.

Also.  To find combat and make money through combat...do NOT go "belt hunting" in empire systems, it's pointless, and a complete waste of time, effort, and .... the opportunity cost is just enormous.

Instead.  bring up people & places window.  Okay...now for example, i'm gonna go with a noobie caldari.  With 2 days of training, he's ready for level 1 missions.  So he looks up "Caldari State" or "Caldari Navy" corporation.  I went with Caldari Navy.  He locates the "agent" tab after doing a show info on the corp then finds an agent under security, internal security, or command that he can use and which is in a decent location for him to fly out of.

Then he flies to that agent's station and starts a conversation with the npc agent, and runs missions!

Missions will get you lots of npcs just especially for your desctructive pleasure.  Level 1 missions are for frigates, and destroyers and vary in difficulty, you may lose a ship on harder ones but frigates are cheap and mission payouts for the mission alone are 100,000 to 300,000 isk for level 1 missions.  Plus some recycleable loot!

Level 2 missions are for cruisers, they are tougher, be careful.  Maybe do them with someone else your first time to learn the different ones, some are easy some are harder.  Level  3 missions are for battlecruisers, Level 4 missions are for Battleships and gangs and can be extremely risky depending on the mission

The greatest reward for missions kicks in in reality with level 3 missions.  It's there on level 1 and 2 but you dont get it fast enough to really use it.

The greatest mission reward is loyalty points.  With 15,000 loyalty points you might get an offer for a +3 implant worth 25 to 35 million isk or you could get a connections skillbook worth 80-130 million isk.  Level 3 missions will net between 500 and 2000 LP each depending mission length, difficulty, and security status of the system it's obtained.

This is how you "learn" combat and earn ISK as a new combat pilot before you join a 0.0 space corporation.  And if your corp annoys you, leave it, i learned that lesson the hard way by staying too long.

There ARE NO GUILDS IN EVE ONLINE.  There are corporations.

You WORK for the corporation, you pay it TAX on you bounties, you mine for it to build things, it HIRES you and it benefits from you and you should also benefit from it.  It has to pay you somehow, generally through having access to things like 0.0 space and great rat hunting, mining, or pvp, that you otherwise won't get.  Some corps will actually PAY you hourly rates to mine for them in zero zero. Why? because eve online has businesses, not clans and guilds.  If your not happy where your at, find a new corp to work for/with whatever.

Realize this about eve, you give to your corp, you can't not...its only natural, being in even the most lax corp rquries of you.  Make sure you like it there and get SOMETHING out of it.  If not, get out.  With missions you can earn your own way easily.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2006, 08:38:20 AM »

Eve online is not an action game.  It's a true world building RPG focusing on team goals and cooperation.

If you approach eve online like an action game just wanting to blow stuff up with lasers and torpedoes, you will get bored...long before you can fire a torpedo.

If your after an action space game...dont eve look eve's way...

Thats not to say it doesn't have lots of action, it does, but its not an action game.  Later in your carreer you may be in fleet battles of hundreds of ships, but you'll never touch a joystick, you'll more than likely not even be moving your ship much.  You'll select targets as called and activate your guns to fire until you get called by the enemy fleet and die.

You may also be in smaller fights that involve lots more moving about and positioning, but you'll spend most of your time chasing the enemy, running from the enemy, hiding or scouting, or trying lock em down so they can't get away when you do get the advantage.

Eve online is not an action game.  It's an RPG space opera more than anything else that specializes in world building and setting goals to accomplish as a team which become truely fantastic accomplishments when achieved.

If your just interesting in flying ships to blow up lots of enemies...there are more fun games for doing only that.

I'm not disparaging eve online...but i just think i've seen a lot of people expecting MMO independence war 2.....this aint it.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2006, 11:56:52 AM »

Thanks for the tips, Fuzzy.

I mean me learning skills (the guy running the keyboard and mouse). Been a long, long time since I played anything but turn-based games and it's taking me a while to have the controls become second nature.  :oops:

Missions, huh...well, I'll give 'em another try, I guess. I can't do more flying around doing and whole lotta nothing than I have been trying to rat in 0.6 space.  Tongue

Corp or guild, I repay debts. Always have in mmorpg's...serious character flaw in that I hate being given stuff. biggrin

Some random Angel's ship log that I "appropriated" last night hinted at some action somewhere and I'm going to check that out. If nothing comes of it, it'll be back to missions. Lord knows I've been offered enough of them. :lol: And I guess it's not a good idea to do missions that cost LP.

Thanks again.

edit to add:
"Alliance emails generally sound like they come from [censored] children"

That was a pretty unfair statement by me. Some emails obviously do, but most aren't although they do sound like they come from people who tend to take the game very seriously. smile

-Zel

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2006, 09:55:52 PM »

Well, 6 weeks or so into the game and I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. Looks like all the GS guys disappeared.

It's pretty amazing, but will definately always be a niche game.

I do love blowing [censored] up, though!  biggrin

Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2006, 03:31:42 AM »

I am still around, but unable to play much.  Still training skills though for my eventual return.  GS people moved on to other corps and it has been closed down.

I apoplogize for getting you in on a bum deal at the time, but I couldn't devote the time to the corp it needed to flourish.  Send me an evemail in game if you need anything.

Michael Haniotes

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2006, 11:38:13 AM »

I am still around, but unable to play much.  Still training skills though for my eventual return.  GS people moved on to other corps and it has been closed down.

I apoplogize for getting you in on a bum deal at the time, but I couldn't devote the time to the corp it needed to flourish.  Send me an evemail in game if you need anything.

Nah...you got me into the game Mykos. You got nothing to apologise for. I just didn't have time, and still don't, for 0.0.

I found one great Corp, but they were all Euro so I didn't see any of them. Found another, but they are very small and I'm not sure how it's going to work out.

I'm still having fun and that's what counts. When it quits being fun I won't be playing.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2006, 11:50:45 AM »

Here is a nice article/dev. interview regarding EVE and what it is and where it's going. 

It's nothing too deep or in depth, but it is a nice article that shares some developer ideas of where they would like to take the game eventually.

I have a lot of feelings about EVE (both positive and negative), but one thing is for sure:  I admire what the creators and developers are trying to do with the game, the fact that it is sci-fi in nature, and I am very pleased to see it prospering and hope they continue to improve the game over the coming years.

So... if you want a look:  Link to RPG Vault smallish article

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2006, 03:40:39 PM »

I always want to start up playing EVE, but always get discouraged because I never have any clue what is going on.  The tutorial in the game is much better than it used to be, but I am still lost.  What I am looking for is maybe a place where I can see a description of all the professions in the game, so that I can choose what I might like to do in the game.  Then, I would want a guide to get me started on how best to pursue that career choice (starting race, etc.).  Is there such a beast out there and, if so, where?

Oh, I also realize this game is open-ended, so no need to respond with an answer along the lines of "anything you want."  You know what they say about a jack-of-all-trades.  Instead, I am looking for basic templates of professions (fighter, trader, etc.) that I can then tweak to my liking.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 03:57:19 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2006, 11:13:08 AM »

Grue - The type of "guide" you are looking for does exist, maybe not exactly like what you described, but there is something out there that does a basic explanation of the "classes" (although you are right, there really is no class per se) and then has a nice "character builder" to show you the best order to train your skills. 

I don't remember where that is, but I will let you know when I eventually run across it again.   icon_wink

On a side note, I still maintain the belief that EVE-Online is one of the hardest games to try to explain to someone.  It is out there on it's own as one of the most bizarre experiences I have ever had in gaming.  (That could be both great and crappy, depending on your perspective I guess).

Oh, and Mykos linked this earlier in the thread, and could help you also...  EVE Quasi-Wiki

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 11:20:04 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2006, 03:59:41 PM »

Well, I had resubscribed, gotten into a corp, and was having a good time.  However, the fan on my vid card decided to crap out (this is the second time it has happened with this Gigabyte Radeon 9800).  So, I had to cancel.  crybaby

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: