http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:01:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EQ2 : What should I know?  (Read 1724 times)
Luminescent Pubes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2006, 03:06:10 AM »

Ive read some about EQ2 (downloading Trial of the Isle right now). This looks like a fairly interesting, although not as much as the first EQ.  Is it a good buy or am I just wasting my time/money

btw, Inquisitor sounds like an awesome class  thumbsup

Gamertag: omg nintendo64
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 03:55:28 AM »

I spent some time with it. If you have a nice PC, it's worth putting some time into (as you need some serious hardware to display it with the options turned up) just for the visuals. Use the Trial as an approximation as to how well it'll run on your rig (as it tends to run better there than in the 'standard' game for whatever reason).

As for the game though...it's no WoW. Then again, what is?  icon_smile

If you played the first EQ though, you have a good approximation as to how it plays. Just without as much downtime. And the game is a bit easier on the solo side of things (without being an uber twink).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 01:08:27 PM »

Its ok. I enjoyed it for a few months. Its nowhere near as addicting as the first EQ though and WoW i a lot better. I played it after I had quit WoW for the first time. After I left EQ2 I went back to WoW. It was a fun time waster for a bit. Since I played it they changed it somewhat. I dont think you have to wait till lvl 10 or whatever to choose your class now and stuff.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 01:25:20 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 10, 2006, 01:08:27 PM

I dont think you have to wait till lvl 10 or whatever to choose your class now and stuff.

You are correct. That was one of their big changes about 6 months or so back. And a good one too, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 07:30:03 PM »

I'll echo that its no WoW but its still a great MMORPG on its own terms.

We (wife and I) didn't try it out till about 2 months ago so have played through all the big changes that went on since the release. The interface takes a bit of getting used to and there are some minor quirks such as having to right-click and choose HAIL from the menu (or hit the 'H' key) to talk to merchants that you have quests for (just clicking on them will bring up their 'wares). There are a lot of quest in this game at the start upon leaving the island. I really felt overwhelmed with quests that I could take and complete. Things didn't start slowing down until around level 30 or so. There has yet to be a moment where I felt like I was not accomplishing anything. With the exception of 2 camping incidents (for these lengthy "hertiage" quests) I haven't had to sit anywhere and just plain grind or wait for a name to pop. If anything I seem to be moving too fast. We're at level 42 now and levels have just been flying by.

There are some really fun zones in the game too. My wife and I just completed Nektropos Castle, a haunted house basically, and it turned out to be one of the most entertaining experiences in a zone I've had with an MMORPG. It had puzzles to figure out, a big old plot, some amazing loot and experience and was very doable for just 2 people. I was also impressed with the zone to unlock the froglock as a race selection (not needed anymore) which consited of a simple zone with some fun little scavenger hunts and simple puzzles.

The thing that blows about the game is it requires hefty hardware requirements which you will see once you get in the game. I reccomend turning off shadows and turning down the lighting settings as those seem to cause the largest performance drops. Although I'm not reccomending this for just this game I'll put it out there - I recently put another gig of RAM in my computer (2 gig now) and performance improved significantly in EQ2 to the point where I was able to increase some settings. Things run smooth as silk even in heavily populated areas - I don't have the shadows enabled however which still leads to a significant performance drop.

Good luck with the Isles.
Luminescent Pubes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 01:37:33 AM »

Yeah, I have noticed the performance issues...but so far it is a fairly fun game (environments are gorgeous)

LE and I are thinking about picking this up and giving it a shot

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 04:51:59 PM »

Supposedly there new expansion (Echoes of Fadywer) includes all the other expansions (minus the downloadable ones) and the core game.  Downside, it comes out the second week of November.

I dunno.  I played Trial of the Isle, got an Iksar Shadowknight to 9 and enjoyed it more or less, though the game still feels kind of clunky.  I've been doing alot of reading about EQ2 on the Fires of Heaven boards, and aside from one or two fans, no one seems to have much positive to say about the game.

Really, the point is, me and Pubes are both deathly sick of WoW.  Pubes inevitably burns out before hitting 60, and I utterly loathe being 60 because I can't stand kissing some loser tween guildmaster's ass just to have a chance at seeing the parts of the game I paid for.  The WoW playerbase is extraordinarily immature -- sure there are pockets of maturity, but then you're saddled with the new parents who can't group or raid without ninja-AFKing for some hour-long baby-related task, guys whose marriage is apparently on the line based on how much he bitches about his wife/how much his wife interrupts shit, or worst of all, the people who just want to sightsee all day, stay stuck at level 30-40, can't PvP, can't PvE, get REALLY defensive if you offer constructive criticism, claiming to be "casual" players despite playing 8 hours a day, 7 days a week.

At this point I'm just considering picking up Everquest Titanium at Target for $15 and hopping on one of the Progression servers.  We tried Shadowbane, it was awful, even though it was 100% free.  There's Anarchy Online, also 100% free (at least the core game) but I hate its QL claptrap mechanic.  There's Auto Assault, also on clearance for $15 at Target, but it's supposed to be ass too.  And Pubes hates Guild Wars, while I'm only lukewarm to it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 07:28:23 PM »

I played this game and hated it.  A buddy of mine got it loved it talked it up so some of us that game together regularly got the game.  People of the same class are pretty much the exact same, you even look the same.  You wind up getting the same gear and while the character generator lets you alter a lot of things once you put on some armor again you look the same.

They have the good side and the bad side.  The good side is done in a way that it is outlandishly fairy tale good while the bad side just seems a bit dirty and they put rude french waiters in charge.  With that said there really wasn't much difference between the sides.

I got talked into playing again during a come back trial period and this was after PvP was enabled and my experience with that was mostly higher level guys from the opposing side coming into the starting areas and pretty much one shot killing me.  A had a high level buddy and his wife come over to gank them back and the netcode was so bad that they ganked me and took off while the two high level friends of mine couldn't even target them, even on my screen they were all over the place.  Oh and by the way the guards they have in the area are just for show they never went after players of the opposing faction, so what the hell are they there for?

What Sony does well in games is the crafting system which does not interest me in the least but I do have to give them credit for that.  The crafting system is huge and setting up a vendor in you're "house" makes it quite easy to sell things.

EQ2 makes you feel very much like a little player in a big world, the starting quests are crap like fetch my new broom and I will give you a shiny rock bullshit, then you can go search for a geologist to find out about the rock.  All it takes to do it is going to a new zone (another word for instance), and there are multiples of each zone depending on how many players go into it, finding the person and getting the broom.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 05:07:34 AM »

Quote from: drifter on September 12, 2006, 07:28:23 PM

EQ2 makes you feel very much like a little player in a big world, the starting quests are crap like fetch my new broom and I will give you a shiny rock bullshit, then you can go search for a geologist to find out about the rock.  All it takes to do it is going to a new zone (another word for instance), and there are multiples of each zone depending on how many players go into it, finding the person and getting the broom.

The opening quests are entirely designed to allow you to fully explore the city you're in. From my understanding, they're just redone the starter quests to only have you visit your starting area (based on your race) as well as the 'dungeon' that's connected to it. That way you don't have to zone 3 times just to turn in an otherwise dinky quest.

As far as the PvP thing goes though - it was my understanding that PvP now has severe level restrictions as to who can gank you. When you're near town, the level difference that you can be attacked is only a few levels apart (under 5). The farther away from the starter town you go, the greater that level difference gets.

Luminescent Pubes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 01:40:37 AM »

LE and I have decided to play on Sleeper Progressions server...him probably being a SK while ill be a Druid

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 06:20:43 PM »

The healer/damager dealer combo looks to work well. I'm playing a Brigand (scout class) and my wife a defiler (priest). There's little we've been unable to accomplish together for things around our level.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: