http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 01:13:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EQ2 Veterans I need your input!  (Read 5007 times)
Arboris
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »

After WOW burnout I decided to give EQ2 another go. I prefer PVE to PVP.

I know that EQ2 is not nearly the solo friendly game WOW is. Also I have no problem grouping and even regularly with a good group. However I do enjoy the freedom of being able to solo when I so choose and thus I would like to choose a class that would best fit this role.

Can you EQ2 veterans give me an idea what class would be best at soloing. I am open to any class or race. Just looking for a solid solo class.

Thank you!

Arboris formerly know as  blackwulf on GG biggrin
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 06:02:42 PM »

Well to be honest it comes down to style, and how you want to solo.  Monk/Guardian/Paladin/Berserker are all very capable soloers (only fighter classes I have experience with currently).  Of them all Paladin dies the least but generally takes the longest to kill anything.

Sorcerors and Summoners are both very solo friendly, sorceror kills quickly with incredibly high damage spells(typical root & nuke strategy), while the Summoner applies DOT's and lets thier pet tank.

Healers are all very solo friendly.

Scouts while they can be solo friendly were the most difficult for me personally to solo with.

Perhaps you can give us an idea of your playstyle, what you enjoy etc...
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 08:16:34 PM »

I agree with Arkon's post.  I still switch back and forth between WOW and EQ2, although I'm not overly dedicated to either.  EQ2 is adding quite a bit more solo content, especially at the higher levels where it was always harder to solo.  I think EQ2 is on the right track, although it still takes a pretty good machine to run the game smoothly, especially on busy servers.  

As for solo classes, I'd say that scouts definitely seem to be the most tricky solo.  Although they do a lot of damage, they also take a lot, which means more down time as you heal between certain fights.  Also, some of their combat maneuvers are just more naturally geared towards groups, such as the backstabbing and stealth attacks during the battle.  I might give the nod to certain healers and summoners as the best solo classes.  Fighters are certainly good as well, but depending on the class, you might face more downtime healing between fights.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 06:05:24 AM »

What about Enchanters?

Can they solo?

An ex EQ2 player told me that no one does cc in EQ2, so Enchanters were not popular.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 01:04:29 PM »

Enchanters are invaluable in my opinion.  Crowd Control is very different from EQ1 in that you don't pull a group of 5 then mez all but 1.  Usually an enchanter can only mez 1 to 2 adds (if I recall correctly), but enchanters do so much more to make a battle go smoothly.  As far as I am concerned I will take an enchanter in my group any day of the week.  Soloing may be a bit tough for an enchanter as thier damage output is low compared to a sorceror and summoner, but still very good nonetheless.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 08:46:17 PM »

Quote from: "Raven"
What about Enchanters?

Can they solo?

An ex EQ2 player told me that no one does cc in EQ2, so Enchanters were not popular.

Enchanters arnt neccessary for a really successfull group like they were in EQ1.  However, like Arkon said, they go a long way to making an encounter alot easier and with les downtime.  They are rather rare though so if you like to play something'different' from everyone else go for it.

morlac00 on PSN
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 07:17:02 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Enchanters are invaluable in my opinion.  Crowd Control is very different from EQ1 in that you don't pull a group of 5 then mez all but 1.  Usually an enchanter can only mez 1 to 2 adds (if I recall correctly), but enchanters do so much more to make a battle go smoothly.  As far as I am concerned I will take an enchanter in my group any day of the week.  Soloing may be a bit tough for an enchanter as thier damage output is low compared to a sorceror and summoner, but still very good nonetheless.

This changes at the higher levels.  Enchanters (illusionists and coercers) sub for a second healer and make the group just flow.  The best XP day I have had was a group in RV with one healer and a chanter.  Mezzing whole groups then singles as well, the group never ever had so much as a power dip, much less downtime.  We had to go to a dedicated puller, as opposed to tank-pulls, just to keep up.  These were mobs that were 3-5 levels higher than the group average.

The probelm is the until the later levels both the enchanter and the other classes lack the damage dealing capacity to really make the  "mez and kill" method work as well as two healers and AoE damage.

I was not a believer until I accidently pulled two groups 4 levels higher than the group in RV (we were 39-40, the mob groups were 43 and 44) with one healer and a coercer.  I was expecting to die and told everyone to prepare to run.  A few minutes later when I had failed to even drop out of the green, I enjoyed my words with farva bean and a nice chianti.  Chanters are just as powerful as they were in EQL, its just they aren't required, and there are other viable methods of grouping.

EQ2 is very flexible about the way one can put groups together.  Its really a good system.

They are adding tons of solo content.  So much so that once you get a good group, it can be frustrating to have it get in the way. smile  Also, in the last patch they bumped solo and small group xp in a huge way.  I mean, it was shocking how much xp I was getting per kill while harvesting.  At this point I think the delta between group and solo xp is smaller than I have seen it in any game. Soloing is certainly a viable way to advance.

As a disclaimer, I play a plate class tank, a Bezerker.  It seems that the tanks in EQ2 seem to be the best solo classes.  That is just from my and my friends' anectdotal perspective.  From what I read, every class can solo.  I think that Paladins are probably the best, again from what I read in game, along with the other tanks, and healers.  I would think that casters probably are the "worst" although I have a buddy who solos with his wizard fairly regularly.  He dies a fair amount doing it; in his words, "either they die fast or I die fast".

My advice? Play what you want.  A healer (warden or mystic for maxium would be the most versatile) would allow you to solo, with movement speed buffs, and have just an important role in any group.  Plate tanks do this as well, although Paladins seem to be less favored for raid tank.  Note less favored, not less viable.  I have seen a Caldron Hollow raid fail because of Pally bias.  They choose a lower level Guard over a higher level Pally and the raid failed on the last mob because the Guard just couldn't stand up to the onslaught.

Good luck and good hunting!

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
solarisgax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 03:40:30 AM »

I think any class can solo, but if you solo, you may want to play a high damage output class.  (I would go for higher DPS than surviveability)

Even with the exp bonus, you will level a lot slower than players in groups.  To speed up your leveling, try a high damage class so you can kill more in relatively shorter time.

However, the key is to find a high DPS with lowest power requirement but still decent chances of survival.  EQ2 classes are balanced pretty well, so it would be difficult to find such a class.  However, the good news is that you can almost pick any RACE for any CLASS.

So if you know your class does high damage, then try to pick a race with a stat that provides more power and health.  Then you will need to pick the right type of race/class skills (awarded every few levels) to allow you to do certain things better.

For example, you may want quicker power regen than simply more power (provided by race/class skills).

It is really an experiment at this time because not all combinations have been tried to high levels.  However, researching the classes, races, class skills, and race/class skills should give you a pretty good guess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: