http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 05:06:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EQ2. i hate it.  (Read 7973 times)
morlac
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2004, 07:07:48 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "Fuzzballx"

Posts like that ruin forums.

You must not have been on alot of forums if you think that's ruinous.

Add me to the EQ2 hate list.  It's just awful compared to EQ1 (and WoW, o noes i ruin teh foruams!!1s!~)

You earlier in this thread:

"I'm selling my copy of EQ2. With exams and a harder college schedule coming up, I don't have time for it anymore. It's not a bad game, but it's not without its share of MMO growing pains."

A bit wishy washy?  Or were you lying about how you felt about it cause you were trying to sell your copy?

morlac00 on PSN
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2004, 07:30:07 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"
A bit wishy washy?  Or were you lying about how you felt about it cause you were trying to sell your copy?
My dislike for the game fermented.  Plus EQ2 looks just godawful after playing WoW.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2004, 09:47:07 PM »

My dislike for the game fermented.  Plus EQ2 looks just godawful after playing WoW.

ok, didnt think you had tried WOW because of time constraints.  Makes more sense now smile

morlac00 on PSN
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2004, 09:52:35 PM »

ok, didnt think you had tried WOW because of time constraints.  Makes more sense now smile
Priorities changed.   biggrin

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2004, 10:13:07 PM »

I play EQ2 and really enjoy it.  I wish I could play WoW also, but I don't have time so I have to pick one.  I'm sure it's awesome.

I guess it's useless to try to play peacemaker in one of these threads because there's nothing like competing MMOs to get the 'my game is better than yours' juices flowing.

Eh, carry on.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2004, 03:37:12 AM »

Quote from: "Redfive"
I play EQ2 and really enjoy it.  I wish I could play WoW also, but I don't have time so I have to pick one.  I'm sure it's awesome.

I guess it's useless to try to play peacemaker in one of these threads because there's nothing like competing MMOs to get the 'my game is better than yours' juices flowing.

Eh, carry on.

WoW and EQ2 are both high quality games.  It all comes down to what you like and personal preference.

If you like being pimped and overly complex crafting then EQ2 is for you.  If you like having fun and then having some more fun then WoW is for you.  :wink:
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2004, 02:17:16 PM »

Nice backstab to EQ2.

I have great fun in both games,  personally.  If i didn't in one i wouldn't play it.  You can be pimped in either game.  Overly complex is a matter of personal opinion.  The next guy says overly simple WoW system.

I almost feel sorry for people not having fun with dungeon crawls in their EQ2 time.  Almost.  They can be absolutely fantastic. Every bit as good as the ones i've had in WoW.  In some cases and ways better in some cases not quite as good.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2004, 06:25:24 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
Nice backstab to EQ2.

I have great fun in both games,  personally.  If i didn't in one i wouldn't play it.  You can be pimped in either game.  Overly complex is a matter of personal opinion.  The next guy says overly simple WoW system.

I almost feel sorry for people not having fun with dungeon crawls in their EQ2 time.  Almost.  They can be absolutely fantastic. Every bit as good as the ones i've had in WoW.  In some cases and ways better in some cases not quite as good.

Honestly I have played both and enjoyed both as well.  They are both high quality games with high production values and lots of content.  I love lots of content.  My  :wink: was *mostly* a joke.

As far as crafting goes if you enjoy extremely complex and time consuming crafting then eq2 is for you.  EQ2 has tons of recipes, resources to gather, and cool items to make.  It gave me a headache but some people may love it.   WoWs crafting system was more of a drag and drop and hit the button type of affair.  

My one true bitch about EQ2 would be the tremendous pain in the ass of getting your gathering skills to 40 which is needed to gather resources in the non noob zones.  Resource wars was not amusing to me(fighting over resources in the noob zones).  Once you get to 40 skill(a few hours of focusing just on gathering) finding resources to gather and increasing your skills is not a big problem(in my limited play time at least).  There is a  contention for resources in WoW as well.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2004, 01:57:36 PM »

Quote from: "Jafisob"

My one true bitch about EQ2 would be the tremendous pain in the ass of getting your gathering skills to 40 which is needed to gather resources in the non noob zones.  Resource wars was not amusing to me(fighting over resources in the noob zones).  Once you get to 40 skill(a few hours of focusing just on gathering) finding resources to gather and increasing your skills is not a big problem(in my limited play time at least).  There is a  contention for resources in WoW as well.

This just in from from EQ2:

We wanted to let budding crafters know about a change that is about to happen to harvesting that should please a lot of you running around low-level zones trying to raise your harvesting skills.

Level 10 base components (i.e. those found in Antonica and Commonlands) will require a skill level of 20 to harvest them rather than the current skill level of 40.

This should ease congestion in the low-level zones and make better use of the abundant resources available in Antonica and Commonlands.

This change is expected to go live in tomorrow's update.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2004, 03:33:36 PM »

Quote from: "Redfive"

Eh, carry on.

It's true.  Trying to compare MMOs in people's minds is not easy.  I, personally, am enjoying EQ2 b/c of its realism and graphics, but everyone has the right to an opinion.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2004, 08:34:16 PM »

Well as of today the crafting system is FUBAR.  With the latest patch no players can sell ANY crafted item to any merchant.  It's basically a stop gap measure to prevent exploiters but what it's done is piss the hell out of 99% of the crafting population.  I have never seen a thread fill up so fast in any topic there (even in the newbie yard).  I'd expect SOE to backpedal quickly from this one but it's still going to screw everyone playing over the weekend.  As it is I'm seriously considering WoW.  I'll go back to EQ2 but right now I think I need a break.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2004, 09:29:09 PM »

Quote from: "ericb"
Well as of today the crafting system is FUBAR.  With the latest patch no players can sell ANY crafted item to any merchant.  It's basically a stop gap measure to prevent exploiters but what it's done is piss the hell out of 99% of the crafting population.  I have never seen a thread fill up so fast in any topic there (even in the newbie yard).  I'd expect SOE to backpedal quickly from this one but it's still going to screw everyone playing over the weekend.  As it is I'm seriously considering WoW.  I'll go back to EQ2 but right now I think I need a break.

Ahh... and one of the main reasons I sided with WoW rears it's head.  EQ2 may have it's pluses, but the developer isn't one of them. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2004, 05:10:56 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
Quote from: "ericb"

Ahh... and one of the main reasons I sided with WoW rears it's head.  EQ2 may have it's pluses, but the developer isn't one of them. smile

s

Friends of mine still playing EQ2 are POed about the new crafting changes.

I am playing WoW now personally and enjoying it more than EQ2 but I have to say that the graphics in EQ2 are so nice if you have the rig to run them at a decent setting.  WoW does a good job but it does not match EQ2.  I miss clicking on something and have the head of my player model turn to follow the person or mob.
shang
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2004, 07:26:47 PM »

Crafting as it was, was basically a method to create money out of nothing by sitting on your arse. The crafting economy in EQ2 has some problems, but reducing the price at witch NPCs buy stuff is definately the right thing to do. Crafters shouldn't rely on NPC buyers except as a last resort to clear inventory.

SOE has indicated that the total inability to sell anything crafting related to NPC merchants is just a temporary way to stop exploiters from generating too much cash (just like removing high level of fishing in WoW was).

I'm not a fan of SOE or anything, but the way people are getting worked up about this issue is just silly. It's a GOOD thing they are trying to quickly remove any exploits that would inflate the money economy.

However, I do agree that this kind of thing should have been found in the beta. It should be trivial for the developers to calculate the material cost of each crafted item and set the buy-back prices accordingly.

EDIT: actually, from today's patch notes

- NPC merchants will once again purchase crafted items from players. Values will be based on the costs associated with producing the item.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2004, 10:23:40 PM »

Quote from: "shang"
Crafting as it was, was basically a method to create money out of nothing by sitting on your arse. The crafting economy in EQ2 has some problems, but reducing the price at witch NPCs buy stuff is definately the right thing to do. Crafters shouldn't rely on NPC buyers except as a last resort to clear inventory.

SOE has indicated that the total inability to sell anything crafting related to NPC merchants is just a temporary way to stop exploiters from generating too much cash (just like removing high level of fishing in WoW was).

I'm not a fan of SOE or anything, but the way people are getting worked up about this issue is just silly. It's a GOOD thing they are trying to quickly remove any exploits that would inflate the money economy.

However, I do agree that this kind of thing should have been found in the beta. It should be trivial for the developers to calculate the material cost of each crafted item and set the buy-back prices accordingly.

EDIT: actually, from today's patch notes

- NPC merchants will once again purchase crafted items from players. Values will be based on the costs associated with producing the item.

Actually this is a common misconception.  As a crafter I had to do the following:

Raise my adventure level to make money to buy the initial books.
Kill mobs to find rare books.
Raise my harvesting skills to harvest upper level areas.
Raise my adventure level to survive upper level harvesting areas.

This is a far cry from sitting around in the trade center just crafting away.  I would say I would adventure 2 hours for every hour spent actually crafting.

The biggest problem with the NPCs not buying items is the quantity involved in making higher level items.  You might have 200-300 (yes hundred) parts made and scraps left over for certain high level stacks.  Where do they go?  What about the 9 items you can't sell to players after days of being on sale.  These were the problems everyone bitched about.

Doesn't matter now...I have WoW and will be playing that for the next month smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2004, 10:37:03 PM »

As a guy that liked EQ, I utterly loathed EQ2 after spending time with it.  Indeed, it reminded me alot of Horizons.  Well, except worse.  Yes, Horizons was more fun to play than EQ2 (for me).

I'd love to see some subscription numbers on EQ2.  I get the impression it's losing subscribers rapidly as the free time runs out.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2004, 05:20:29 PM »

As a guy that liked EQ, I utterly loathed EQ2 after spending time with it.  Indeed, it reminded me alot of Horizons.  Well, except worse.  Yes, Horizons was more fun to play than EQ2 (for me).

I'd love to see some subscription numbers on EQ2.  I get the impression it's losing subscribers rapidly as the free time runs out.

As someone who played Horizons during the beta and EQ2 live for 3 weeks I have to say our tastes must differ greatly.  Horizons was an uninteresting game with not enough content.  It was a complete flop comercially as well which I highly doubt EQ2 will be.

I do prefer WoW to eq2 but not because eq2 is a bad game.  I just like WoW better.  Many people probably agree with me but some will like the slightly different flavor of EQ2 and hence it is a matter of taste.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2004, 05:32:26 PM »

As someone who played Horizons during the beta and EQ2 live for 3 weeks I have to say our tastes must differ greatly.  Horizons was an uninteresting game with not enough content.  It was a complete flop comercially as well which I highly doubt EQ2 will be.

I do prefer WoW to eq2 but not because eq2 is a bad game.  I just like WoW better.  Many people probably agree with me but some will like the slightly different flavor of EQ2 and hence it is a matter of taste.
Zoyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2004, 09:33:02 PM »

EQ2 just failed to grab me for some reason, I cancelled my subscription before the first month was up.

There were a lot of little things that bothered me about this game, for one thing the constant loading screens tend to break the immersion, especially when you're low level and questing around the cities (which are made up of several zones). Although the graphics are good, the performance was disappointing even on my spiffy new 6800 GT. Even though there are plenty of quests, almost all of them have that generic feel to them, and they don't adequately explain what you're supposed to be doing, so unless you want to spend a lot of time wandering around aimlessly, you have to consult spoiler sites or the strategy guide all the time. I found Warcraft to be much more immersive, I like the classes better and find the world around me much more interesting.  On the plus side, they managed to have a very smooth launch, which was a big surprise given SOE's record.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2004, 03:07:26 PM »

I really like that at the beginning, I have beenable to solo a lot without grouping.  I know I will need to as I level up, but so far, i have really enjoyed being able to play around by myself and see what I like to do.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: