http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 09:17:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EQ2. i hate it.  (Read 7895 times)
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2004, 06:58:27 AM »

I played everquest for 3 years.  I had a good time, I suppose, but the main reason I played for so long was because I was in a guild with some really good people.

I've been playing EQ2 for the last few nights, and I really cant stand it.  Zoning annoys me.  Non-descriptive quests annoy me.  My favorite so far was "go to the cemetary in the commonlands.  there's MULTIPLE cemetaries in the commonlands...and the commonlands are HUGE.  my friend and i wandered around this massive zone for an hour to find this one cemetary.

there just seems to be a lack of...guidance...in the game.  so i get level 10 and i have a choice to make as to what class i want to be.  great..if i had any clue as to where to go.   and you have to upgrade your spells at a scribe...and the scribes are scattered all over the place.  again, you're never told that you have to upgrade your spells, and you're never told where your scribe is.  

i'm only level 11. im a shaman, and i am going to try for the defiler subclass, but i dont know if i will make it that far.  it's just a frustrating experience for me.  i have a comped account from SOE, and even though i dont have to pay the monthly fee, i dont know if i'll play more than a month.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
ericb
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 01:49:43 PM »

I'll take your comped account when you're through with it smile  

Still you have some valid points.  Much of what I've learned about EQ2 I've learned on the official forums...not in game.  I think the average player would be much better off to wait 6 months before starting...give SOE time to fix the typos, nail the annoying bugs, refine the quests, etc, etc.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 03:33:39 PM »

Im sorry you cant be bothered to actully read your quest journal.  You know the place where it tells you who to talk to and what zone(even near a certain location in zone).  Then if you still cant be bothered to look for the NPC you could just ask a guard where they are and get a nice shiney waypoint marker that'll lead ya right to it.  As far as your commlands comment yes its big.  I guess they could have broken into smaller zones for you to load but you didnt seem to like those either.  I find it hard to believe you played EQ1 soo long with they're more cryptic/ harder quest. Scribes are in just about every city zone...they are listed on your map.  Read the manual about upgrading your spells...you did read the manual right?

morlac00 on PSN
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 03:55:27 PM »

I have finished over 100 quests in EQ2.  I'm only lvl 16.  I haven't used spoiler sites to finish quests (although I have used them to find quests).

The journal is really handy for solving quests.

Focus on the quests you know where to go, and not the few quests that are a little vague.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 05:18:57 PM »

It amazes me that people will pick up a game like EQ, and expect to be hand fed and led to any and every place they should go.  This need for hand holding astounds me.  Like the guy above me said check your quest journal.  ive completed over 150 quests in EQ at this point, and 2 date there has been exactaly one vauge one where i was to deliver a meal to person at a pond.  I was like wtf, what pond are you talking about.   Other than that both the qeynos and the freeport quests are well written, and more instructive and descriptive than ive seen in any MMO, and ive played em all.  Could you imagine this guy trying to figure out an epic weapon quest in the original EQ.  lol.

AttA
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 05:35:37 PM »

i value my time.  i dont expect to be hand held, no. but i also don't expect to wander around aimlessly.  like i said, last night was especially frustrating (most quests aren't this bad) because i spent an hour wandering around for one of many cemetaries.  wandering aimlessly isn't my idea of fun.

i do have experience in many mmo's.  and others have been poor in their quest descriptions and gameplay as well, and that's why i dont play them either.  and yes, i did get my epic in eq1 as a paladin.  that was also back when i didn't have a wife that wanted me to spend time with her smile

and morlac, i dont know who pissed in your corn flakes this morning, but chill out a bit.  unless you're a dev for EQ2 or a stockholder in Sony, there's no need to be that way.  it's just a game and im just expressing my opinion about it.  if i wanted that type of attitude, i would have posted on another forum.  i come here to post my opinion because usually people will just move on if they don't like the topic or the poster.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 05:59:10 PM »

You call it wandering I call it exploring!  You got attitude because you came here gripping and complaing about stuff that is clearly in the maunal and or provided in the user interface.  You complain about zones then say Comonlands is too big.  You had the time to come here and gripe why not take the time to RTM.

morlac00 on PSN
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 06:52:02 PM »

I actually RTFM and the boards during beta and since the game has gone live and personally I agree with jessie, the quest system in this game leaves alot to be desired. Actually IMHO, and yours may differ, everything in this game leaves alot to be desired.

Example, there is a quest you get near Qeynos in which you have to decipher a poem and travel to various locations, I believe there were 4 locations one of which was obvious, the second I probably would have gotten but triggered it accidently, the last 2 made no sense, "The Tree that Peeks" and "King of the Thicket" were the only clues. Not too mention if you should happen to figure out what the "King of the thicket" is you have to circle the object about 5 or 6 times before it will trigger so if you say only went around twice and it didnt trigger you might wander off thinking you guessed wrong.

There is another quest I have heard people complaining about to find Sogbone skeletons, no real indication of where they are only to kill a certain number. I happened to find them accidently one day when I fell in the moat outside Qeynos, they are under the water there. Exploring I can understand but who is going to normally spend time swimming around the bottom of the moat??

Another quest asks you to recover a remedy for a sapling in Oakmyst forest, only clue is that the item is in one of the herb shops in town. Basically you have to run to every single zone in Qeynos checking all the herb shops and even when you hit the right one its not readily apparent where the item is. Again thats not exploring thats just "needle in a haystack" running around.

Another quest tells you to visit various taverns and talk to specific people indicated by only their initials, each tavern gets a little riddle like clue only 3 the 6 are identifable the other 3 are completely baseless. Oh and when you hit one of the taverns the NPC is invisible and can only be seen if you happen to get lucky and turn at just the right angle.

Again you may disagree but IMHO the quest system in EQ2 is terrible, the clues are worthless 80% of the time and you wind up just running around aimlessly trying to trigger them, the quest CON system is completely out of wack, I have GREEN quests that at 17th level I still need at least 3 other people to complete. The quest rewards at this point will be useless. Take a quick visit to the offical boards to see the mind boggling number of quests which are completely broken, what were they doing for 3 years of beta testing???

Creature Mastery quests were changed in the final days of beta with no information after the fact. Folks have spent hours upon hours trying to find the goblin Mastery book on Refuge Island and it no longer exists there. As I said I read up on the game extensively before its release and in the days of its initial opening. Even within the game itself you will still find LORE items that indicate you will get a special enhancement if you complete the Mastery quests which is completely false, you get a pat on the back and a trophy for your Inn room.
When you attain 12th level you gain the option to choose a special attack against either Gnolls or Orcs, this is a one time choice. Since everything I had read both in game and out indicated I could gain the same ability by doing the Gnoll Mastery quest I like so many others chose Orc. Of course the gnoll mastery quest, which I completed, gave me a stupid trophy instead. When I petitioned this I was told " I should have better informed myself before choosing".
Its gotten so bad there is a system message as soon as you log in the game now about making choices and how CSR will not correct this problem. Of course at this point I really didnt expect SOE to actually fess up to the problem or actually be helpfull in correcting it.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 06:59:48 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"
Im sorry you cant be bothered to actully read your quest journal.  You know the place where it tells you who to talk to and what zone(even near a certain location in zone).  Then if you still cant be bothered to look for the NPC you could just ask a guard where they are and get a nice shiney waypoint marker that'll lead ya right to it.  As far as your commlands comment yes its big.  I guess they could have broken into smaller zones for you to load but you didnt seem to like those either.  I find it hard to believe you played EQ1 soo long with they're more cryptic/ harder quest. Scribes are in just about every city zone...they are listed on your map.  Read the manual about upgrading your spells...you did read the manual right?

He posted a gripe about a game, and you're being a touch personal and condescending here.  Tone it down, please. This is exactly the kind of stuff we don't want in this forum. If people can't post without being attacked, they'll leave.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 07:22:47 PM »

I also agree on the quest descriptions to a point...but I'll add that there is more details in the actual quest log than is shown in the top right current quest window.  I had no problem completing the oakmyst forest quest which required about 5 visits to different parts of the forest...but only after I checked the quest log and got the extra details.  

My biggest gripe (and on my wish list) is the ability to sort quests to complete in the zone you're currently in...in addition to where you first got them.  I don't know how many times I left a zone only to realize I had 3 quests pending in the area I just left.  I know I can look but when you have 50 quests it can take a little while to sort them all manually.

As for the personal attacks I just don't understand it.  Everyone has an opinion...the reason I come here is to read about other people's thoughts.  If I wanted a copy of my opinions I would write them down on paper and read them over and over smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 07:28:37 PM »

Try World of Warcraft. The quest have all the info you need to find what you need. its starts with the NPCS that have a quest for you will have a big yellow ! above thier head. Once you get the quest it tells you where and what direction to find what they told you to get/kill/do. And once you've done it the one you need to return to will havea big yellow ? mark above thier head. And you get a lot of exp from them. Its the only way I lvl'd in the stress/betas and thats with quests.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 07:43:38 PM »

Actually, jessie is quite familiar with WoW.    Tongue

But on topic, I think eric's suggestion is about as good as you're going to get jessie.  When you open up the quest log for the more detailed information, you are given more informative clues and such.  If this still isn't enough, and you don't want to search, I would simply delete the quest and take another.  It's not like there aren't a bagillion of them.

When you think about it, with all the quests EQ2 does have, the ratio of ones that are fine to the ones that need to be "fixed" is not too shabby.

And personally, I hope they don't "fix" all of them.  Sometimes I think a few of the quests are purposely extremely vague, and were made that way for the people that like the searching aspect.  With so many quests available, I have no problem whatsoever with this, if that was SoE's intent.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 07:50:23 PM »

I dont know man, i dont really see what you are talking about as a problem with the game.  Keep in mind i understand that YOU dont like it but i dont find it to be a problem with the game as much what i would bet was a concious descision on how to write up some quests.  I think back to all the fantasy books ive read and all the quests ive seen heros go on,  this seems to be the tradition way that fantasy quests work.  they involve investigation, some exploring and mabey just mabey some searching.

The poster above me is correct by the way, WOW will tell you where to go, how to get there what to do and how to get back in allmost every single quest in the game.  To me thats hand holding and now all i really need is someone to push my buttons for me so i can watch. thats not fun  at all for me but, to you it might just be your cup of tea. This is simply an example of how EQ is more hardcore, than WOW.  It was ment to be that way... at least i think it was.

AttA
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 08:59:22 PM »

Apologies to Jessie for being condesdening but I interperteted his first post as kinda trollish.  Complaing about things that are in the manual, not knowing where to look for quest suff when they give pretty damn good directions in almost all of the quest logs, "im playing for free but still prolly wont play",etc.  Misinterrupted by me..again my apologies.

morlac00 on PSN
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 09:12:49 PM »

I'd have to say the first post sounded trollish to me too. I mean someone complains about the game being to vague and zoning when they say they have played EQ1 for 3 years? Sorry that makes no sense as EQ1 was one of the more unfriendly games to the new user you could play.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 09:20:04 PM »

jessie is a part of this community. he has no history of trolling. He posted an opinion of the game that two other people even agreed with.

If you guys think that's trolling, you need to spend more time in usenet to see what trolling really is. I would hope we not toss that word around lightly. It's insulting, and out of place.

I'd appreciate it if we could drop it, and get back on topic. If you disagree with jessie, that's fine, state your reasons why you think EQ2 has a great quest guidance system or something. Calling him a troll (directly or indirectly) and telling him to RTFM is uncool, and will not be tolerated.

I don't like typing this stuff out, but I have to do my job here.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2004, 09:24:53 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the complaint either.   Exploring is fun.  If you're really frustrated, ask someone for help.  Afterall, that's why the two M's are there in front of RPG.  Infact, someone ran up to me the other night and asked where the cemetary was.  It's was simple as that.

If quests are designed in such a fashion that a waypoint was setup for every place you have to go then the quest system would get old fast (e.g. SWG).
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 11:51:41 PM »

While it can be frustrating to some, for me I prefer to not have my hand held and told every step of the way where to go for a quest.  Personally if you are having a problem, then go to a spoiler site if you want it spoon fed.  That is why spoiler sites exist.  I think there is a good balance to the quests.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2004, 12:05:51 AM »

This just in:  It's not trolling to say "I hate Game X" on a generic messageboard such as this.  If jessie had posted this on EQ2Players, that'd be a pretty obvious troll attempt.  But he (or she) didn't.

Whether you agree with the OP's points or not has little to do with whether the post is trolling or not.

THAT BEING SAID, IT'S TIME FOR A SHAMELESS PLUG!

I'm selling my copy of EQ2.  With exams and a harder college schedule coming up, I don't have time for it anymore.  It's not a bad game, but it's not without its share of MMO growing pains.

I'm asking $35 shipped.  It's still got the free trial time on it til Dec. 8th.  Check the trading forums or PM me straight up.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
shang
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2004, 08:37:04 AM »

Is there some trick with the guards giving directions to NPC? It has never worked for me and I've tried with the full NPC name, first name et al combinations. If my scout didn't have the tracking skill I would have probably lost my nerves on several quests already (speak to some NPC that is hidden away in some cellar of an obscure building).

I'm otherwise dissapointed with the EQ2 quests too. Sure, there are TONS of quests, but most of them are really sub-par. Of the dozens and dozens of quests I've done so far, maybe two or three have been interesting. Half of them are kill quests and the rest are "find an NPC"-fedex quests.

The Scout class quests in Qeynos were a good example. I mean, it would have been nice to get some concrete infromation about the different classes, for example with quests that involves a high level rogue/bard/predator NPC. But nooo... it had to go like this:

1) to learn about rogues, go kill some snakes in the Forest Ruins
2) to learn about bards, find NPC x and click through irrelevant dialogue
3) to learn about predators... go kill some spiders in the Forest Ruins

To the game's credit, at least the Predator qualification quest was more interesting, but sheesh! Without fanmade websites I would've had no information about the actual abilities of the classes I had to choose from.

The Qeynos city has been a really big letdown after the Island of Refugees. IoR had a lot of fun quests and interesting monsters. Then we get citizenship and go back to the age-old tradition of killing small fauna like rats and badger cubs and doing petty deliveries to unimportant NPCs.

I'm still horribly addicted to the game and all, but I wish rest of the areas were as well designed as the Island of Refugees.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2004, 09:08:54 AM »

I'm loving EQ2 but I do agree about one thing: The class quest are lacking proper information regarding the classes that you choose from. You should not have to go searching in the manual or website to aquire the stats for each particular class. There should be detailed information for each class listed for you in the game. I also believe that you should have spell upgrades explained to you ingame as well. Not hidden but right in your face. "YOU HAVE TO FIND ADEPT 1 SPELLS YOU BUY ADEPT 3 SPELLS BLAH BLAH!" That should be how it is.

I'll admit that EQ2 is not without it's flaws, and those flaws will be fixed in the future, but it is still a very deep and VERY fun game.  

SHang: The guards can only tell you where NPCs are if they are close enough to them. Which kinda defeats the purpose of having NPC's tell you the locations of other NPC.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2004, 01:20:17 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
This just in:  It's not trolling to say "I hate Game X" on a generic messageboard such as this.  If jessie had posted this on EQ2Players, that'd be a pretty obvious troll attempt.  But he (or she) didn't.

Whether you agree with the OP's points or not has little to do with whether the post is trolling or not.

THAT BEING SAID, IT'S TIME FOR A SHAMELESS PLUG!

I'm selling my copy of EQ2.  With exams and a harder college schedule coming up, I don't have time for it anymore.  It's not a bad game, but it's not without its share of MMO growing pains.

I'm asking $35 shipped.  It's still got the free trial time on it til Dec. 8th.  Check the trading forums or PM me straight up.

This Just in:  We stopped discussing whether or not the post was trollish.  I even apologized and we all let it go, why cant you.

morlac00 on PSN
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2004, 02:07:45 PM »

I guess I'll throw my 2-3 cents into the fray *prepares to duck and cover*.

I've done all sorts of fun quests in my life, some vague, some very vague, some handheld.

I _hate_ quests so vague you damn near want to kill yousrself in annoyance.  I think any of you who have done the WoW quests and played a Night Elf remeber the wonderous Squakbox Quests... And believe you me, we all laugh at them now, because when you listen to channels, the questions come fast and furious from people about that particular one.

My idea of a bad quest description: Look for the box South(or West) of town.

Now you may say: that seems fine to me... but when the quest item is actually at the south end of town (and in the town imho)... you head right out of town to the south and then start looking... you keep heading farther and farther south until aftre a solid half an hour +, you get irritated and ask on open channel(or someone else does) and someone goes: Oh, thats right by....

We wont even go into the next part of that quest where they say west of town, and the only thing west of town is water... It's completely north north west of town, and not by a small amount, just to make sure you dont try heading that direction in the hopes they were just confused.

I got no problem exploring, but if I am running a non-exploring type quest, especially by a npc who knows right where the dang thing is supposed to be... I really dont want to waste most of my time trying to find the quest spot, I want to actually be doing what I agreed to do...(in this case kill creatures for parts to fix said item)  

Yes, this may sound like whining... probably is... but it was the closest thing I had to an irritation in the entire game.  I like exploring, lots.  I'm that idiot who at level 12 thought it would be fun to see exactly how far he could get exploring (When all the mobs are ?? to you and aggie, it becomes a very interesting road trip) and spent half a day+ literally going random places where I was at least half everyone elses level in the area, usually much more.  

You are right, Blizzard does a fairly decent job of giving you directions that arn't the most annoying on the planet for questing.  I'm not saying it's the right way for everyone, but anything that cuts down my annoyance time and raises my fun time cant be half bad.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2004, 03:33:47 PM »

Since we are on the subject of quests i just wanted to ask a question, and mabey start an interesting discussion here.  

In his post shang said...Sure, there are TONS of quests, but most of them are really sub-par. Of the dozens and dozens of quests I've done so far, maybe two or three have been interesting. Half of them are kill quests and the rest are "find an NPC"-fedex quests.

Let me add there are 3 more types of quests in EQ and indeed in most other games.  There is your basic Find quest, and that can be find an object place or thing.  There is a gather quest for crafters, and also craft x item for me quests.  so basicly we have 5 base quests.  These quests run through all RPGs, and not just MMO's.  My question is this.  If those 5 are not good enough, then what is?  I ask this question becuase i see statments like Shangs all the time.  Ive head it about a million times.  What i never hear is suggestions on new types of quests.  Personaly i belive that any quets i can come up with will fall into one of those 5 basic catagories.   So you dont like killing mobs or running errands for NPCs, you also dont like having to go out into the world and look for something.  Fine, then What is it you DO want?  Lets talk about some new types of quests we could use to beef up what may be a stale questing system across the board.

AttA
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 03:56:31 PM »

Interestingly enough, it seems fileplanet, in conjunction with SOE, is running a, "Come up with your own quest," contest.

http://www.fileplanet.com/contests/november04/eq2/

Not that I'm hawking this thing, but for those of you who are tired of the quests you see in EQ2, maybe this is a chance to show them how it should be done.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2004, 04:06:08 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
 Lets talk about some new types of quests we could use to beef up what may be a stale questing system across the board.

I think escort quest would be another "type". I am not sure if EQ2 has those or not though. The ones I did in WoW were pretty fun. EQ1 had a few also if i do recall. I remember one where you escort a little coldain dwarf around the velious country-side. That was a great quest, mainly cause the little guy was pretty funny.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2004, 04:11:19 PM »

I think the biggest problem with early quests is that they are a little boring and have nothing to do with advancing your character.  Just a little more description from the NPC would help so much.  Instead of this:

NPC - "I need 5 badgers killed"

go with something like:

NPC - "I need you to kill 5 badgers because they are resistant to normal weapons but weak against magic"

Then it makes more sense.

Another example.  Instead of:

NPC - "Please clean my attic of bats"

Go with:

NPC - "If you clean my attic of bats I will let you have this staff my mage son left here a few years ago"

It just makes it more meaningful instead of just offering coppers to anyone passing by on the street.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2004, 05:35:30 PM »

Quote from: "ericb"
I think the biggest problem with early quests is that they are a little boring and have nothing to do with advancing your character.  Just a little more description from the NPC would help so much.  Instead of this:

NPC - "I need 5 badgers killed"

go with something like:

NPC - "I need you to kill 5 badgers because they are resistant to normal weapons but weak against magic"

Then it makes more sense.

Another example.  Instead of:

NPC - "Please clean my attic of bats"

Go with:

NPC - "If you clean my attic of bats I will let you have this staff my mage son left here a few years ago"

It just makes it more meaningful instead of just offering coppers to anyone passing by on the street.

Are you reading the Quest journal?  Im asking because ive never seen a quest that said "kill 5 badgers".  Ive seen that in the little quest helper, but when i opened up my quest log, or listen to the dialog when i get the quest there is always a story.  

For instance i had to kill some Forgotten Guardians in the Forest Ruins:  

My quest helper said "collect a glowing ember from a Forgoten Guardian.

my quest journal said get a Glowing ember (i think that was the name) from a Fire based forgotten Guardian, so that Mizzle wobblecog can complete his power source for his new invention.

Furthermore when i actualy spoke with the guy who gave me the quest, the guy went on for like 2 mins, on the woes of insuficiant power sources, and why the hell i had the gall to bug him.  

/shrug some times i think im playing a different game hehe.  

Anyway, you guys want something to be pissed about, try having a group wipe in firemyst gully because of a tank that went LD while running. now that is a story thats worth being pissed over, but thats a whole other thread.

AttA
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2004, 07:00:59 PM »

Good idea Atta,

I also loved EQ1's velious quest.  One of the "ring" quest had you starting a war between 2 factions.  You actully got too participate in the battle between 30 or so NPCs.  While I never did this quest personally I did get to se e it in action a few times.  It was a nice break from camping the Orc camp where the Battle took place.  WE'd just pull up a chair on the ridge and watch the whole battle unfold...very immersive.

I guess this would be a Dynamic type quest and perhpas be a different catagory?

morlac00 on PSN
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2004, 07:23:12 PM »

Good idea Atta,

I also loved EQ1's velious quest.  One of the "ring" quest had you starting a war between 2 factions.  You actully got too participate in the battle between 30 or so NPCs.  While I never did this quest personally I did get to se e it in action a few times.  It was a nice break from camping the Orc camp where the Battle took place.  WE'd just pull up a chair on the ridge and watch the whole battle unfold...very immersive.

I guess this would be a Dynamic type quest and perhpas be a different catagory?

Id just call it a Scripted kill X mobs quest but its a damn good quest none the less.  Me thinks that right now we are a bunch of lowbie wussies and that we dont deserve anything better than kill some gobbies here and there, or take these order to this guy thats way cooler than you.  Give it some time, im thinking that as you become ready for the tasks they will get bigger and better.  Personaly i dont think Quests like the ring in Velious would be very cool unless you had put in your time slaying rats for copper as a newbie.  Then again thats just one mans opinion on the matter.

AttA
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2004, 08:44:36 PM »

Oh with out a doubt the 'ring' quest was trully epic.  And I agree the menial quest are good for us newbies.  Helps to learn the lay of the land and game mechanics etc.

morlac00 on PSN
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2004, 09:26:27 PM »

I know you didn't mean it that way but I wasn't complaining about EQ2 at all...if you read any of my other posts you'll see I've been one of the strongest supporters of it here and usually defend it against the stronger attacks.  

My examples were just that...examples.  I was explaining ways a simple delivery or kill x quest could be made more meaningful while still being a simple delivery or kill x quest.  No direct relation to the EQ2 quests (which I like) but more of a response to an earlier post complaining about the "types" of quests.

As for LD...it's my opinion that anytime a person goes link dead they should immediately stop and automatically start the gate procedure.  Been screwed a number of times that way.
shang
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2004, 07:33:39 AM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
Let me add there are 3 more types of quests in EQ and indeed in most other games.  There is your basic Find quest, and that can be find an object place or thing.  There is a gather quest for crafters, and also craft x item for me quests.  so basicly we have 5 base quests.  These quests run through all RPGs, and not just MMO's.  My question is this.  If those 5 are not good enough, then what is?

The way I phrased my complaint was indeed a bit misleading. I don't have a problem with kill quests and find-NPC-quests as a concept, but these quests in early game Qeynos are really PLAIN kill quests and fedex quests. No twists, no scripting and (purely IMHO) not very interesting story-motivation behind them.

Personally I don't even appreciate dialogue with the NPCs very much, because most of it feels quite cheesy, so two kill quests that only have a different dialogue, but the same goal (kill 5 snakes) are exactly the same quest for me. Some sort scripted actions and events would go much farther in making quests more unique.

Of course I understand that it's not feasible resource-wise to have a huge quantity of interesting, scripted, early game quests. But I'm still disappointed that after being marketed as having a revolutionary quest system and thousands of quests, most of the (early) quests in EQ2 are so simple in execution that they hardly deserve to be called "quests".

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if the quests get more interesting at later levels (I'm only lvl 12 atm), but tend to judge MMORPGs by their early levels rather than late, simply because I enjoy creating many alts more than advancing any single character to the high levels.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2004, 06:23:42 PM »

You had the time to come here and gripe why not take the time to RTM.

Or better yet you could use that time to hit the UNINSTALL button and play a MMORPG that's actually fun, World of Warcraft!

Glycerine

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2004, 06:58:43 PM »

Quote from: "Glycerine"
You had the time to come here and gripe why not take the time to RTM.

Or better yet you could use that time to hit the UNINSTALL button and play a MMORPG that's actually fun, World of Warcraft!

Glycerine

Posts like that ruin forums.

Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft are designed to be different.  Your tastes are yours and do not reflect a universal absolute.

Here's to both games being most excellently created and being tremendous fun for people with the mental capacity to enjoy them as they deserve to be enjoyed.

-Fuzz - 18 Hunter in WoW
-Fuzzina - 22 Troubadour in EQ2
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2004, 07:20:14 PM »

I'm otherwise dissapointed with the EQ2 quests too. Sure, there are TONS of quests, but most of them are really sub-par. Of the dozens and dozens of quests I've done so far, maybe two or three have been interesting. Half of them are kill quests and the rest are "find an NPC"-fedex quests.

Well. there are definitely a lot of kill x quests.  They do attach stories to them though usually.  I've only seen one guy actually just say, "fine, go kill some bats in the commonlands then!"  And when he did...it actually fit his character cause he was pissed and you were buggin the hell of out of him a job...lol.

I've had a lot of really great quests so far in the game.  The quests initiated by item drops are really cool for one thing, you have to hunt down specific mobs to get different parts to complete items and repair them back to functionality so you have a great item.  Like an old broken staff i found in fallen gate that required me to find various parts from various mobs spread around the dungeons to rebuild the staff.  Quest was just plain cool and started a huge dungeon crawl to find undead weaponsmiths for endcaps for he staff.

The tour of the commonlands was an explorer players delight=)

Quests like "Lost religion of something" are super cool dungeon crawling to find clues to a lost religion and finally it in ....well i wont say here, i finally found it sunday it was sweet and the quest reward was a bloody awsome level 32 warhammer.

I've seen quests for specific classes like my bard that actually require me to distract mobs with songs and stuff which were very interactive and just plain entertaining.  The whole hallmark quest lines thing is a hoot.

Quests involving actual moral choices! (Leet coming) L1kE ZOMG! (okay done) there are actually some in EQ2 and your choices impact your rewards and other things.  Quests that can be completed multiple ways, if you do it one way an innocent may end up dead and you end up with a few coppers but if you make the right moral choice somewhere you end up getting a sweet weapon for your level or something.  Not having read about this or known about it before i did the quest was a real thrill ending up getting a certain reward then hearing someone crying in ooc cause they made the wrong decision and got nothing but a few coppers=)  But hey, you murder innocents, you get jacked sometimes.

The zone unlock quests are great.  I really enjoy them.  They are a challenge and a lot of fun and give good rewards.

The book quests from the library are fantastic too.  They're purely discovery / lore oriented and you get them buy purchasing the books in teh library.  Awsome quests with lengthly story and lore involved which should thrill explorers and roleplayers to death.  There's tons of those.  Many of them multi part!

Then there's things like the "armor quests" at level 20 which are great and end up getting everyone a very nice set of gear for a level 20-30 character so that people arent lacking for gear in those critical mid levels.  Everyone gets a very nice level 24 weapon for their level 20 class quest too.

The mastery and collection quests are also fun for a lot of people.  Some don't care but i've seen people who live and die by finding all those little items cause they enjoy it.

And the quest for buried treasure in nek forest...GREAT! now THAT is a fun little quest.  Finding clues to the next clue to the next clue.  Quite fun, havn't finished that one yet.

I could go on but i gotta work.

The early quests in the game are fedex and kill-x in order to familiarize new players with the city and game.  There's a point to that and to make players quickly learn their way around and where everything is.  Then it opens up a lot around level 15 and opens up a TON around level 18.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2004, 07:32:54 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"

You must not have been on alot of forums if you think that's ruinous.

Add me to the EQ2 hate list.  It's just awful compared to EQ1 (and WoW, o noes i ruin teh foruams!!1s!~)

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2004, 09:42:44 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "Fuzzballx"

You must not have been on alot of forums if you think that's ruinous.

Add me to the EQ2 hate list.  It's just awful compared to EQ1 (and WoW, o noes i ruin teh foruams!!1s!~)

All i can say about that is.  Thank god.
shang
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2004, 07:47:05 AM »

I reached lvl 15 a while ago, and I agree that the quests seem to pick up a bit, I just wish leveling wasn't as slow. My biggest gripe is that even on this level, most pickup groups don't have any idea how to work efficiently. Most don't seem to know how aggro works or how HOs should be used in a group and pullers routinely underestimate the ^^-mobs and are hellbent on pulling only oranges thinking they provide faster exp.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2004, 02:38:48 PM »

Yellows of any type seem to provide the best in my experience.

I know based on last night, that a good group killing yellows can go almost non stop and get around a % a minute.  100 minutes for a level isn't bad at all at that level.

By the way, we found the treasure really picked up when killing level 23-25 mobs normal + and ++.  Big jump over the 20-22 mobs.

Unfortunately I have found a couple broken quests now, but hey, a couple out of hundreds isn't bad.

At level 15 your just getting to the point where you have lots of great stuff to look fowards to.

At level 20 you embark on the armor quests that will take you lots of places before your done with them.

Level 12 i think is when i first moved into dungeons and I havn't left them for leveling since.  If you can get a decent group, exp in dungeons is much faster than outdoors.  Debt exempted of course but if you get loons in your party they usually get kicked after blatently getting the group wiped.  In a good group, a full group wipe of debt goes away quick.

And always remember, even the best groups get wiped.

Also, debt goes away overnight.  So if its late and you just racked up big debt.  Go to bed, the debt will have dissappeared by tomorrow night.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: