http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:11:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 17801 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 09, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »

If you are interested in moving ahead faster, just do the quests at your level. I recently ran 2 characters through the beginning Ebonheart quests:

First character did the quest to defend Davon's Watch, then went to Bleakrock and did every single quest on Bleakrock (got the achievement for finding all the hidden villagers), then did all the quests in Bal Foyen, then went back to Davon's Watch. She was level 7.

Second character went straight to Bleakrock, did one main quest and one sidequest and got the skyshards, did all of the quests in Bal Foyen to catch up a level, then went back to Davon's Watch. She was level 6.

So all of those extra quests took up a lot of extra time and probably got me less than a level. Of course, even if you don't do all the quests, you'll want to do the public dungeons to get the skyshards and also get the skyshards in the world. There are also quests the give skill points. You might want to mark those down if you have a character doing everything or you can use a guide.

Personally, I would prefer a game that took a month to get to max level. For one, it's stupid that you can craft weapons or armor for your friends and they outlevel it in an hour or less.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 09, 2014, 05:13:17 PM »

I keep thinking I will have buyers remorse if I get this.    I love Elder Scrolls, but get this then the guild disappears per our norm.  We gamers are a fickle bunch

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 09, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »

always a possibility, but if you like a game you can always find other people still playing and join a 'real' guild.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 09, 2014, 08:38:50 PM »

Arclight's points are pretty much how I feel.  I'll add this to the discussion: in a single player game, the rate of progression is certainly a different animal than it is in an MMORPG.  In the traditional ES games, I never had any issues with the pacing.  But now it's a multiplayer environment.  Grouping is the first thing that gets affected as people start drifting apart in levels (though of course this is something that almost no MMORPG has solved perfectly).  You'd think the slower rate would slow everyone down equally, but I think in a game like this, all it does is make the slower players fall further behind the average curve even faster. 

Then when you add level-limited PvP into the mix, the rate at which you level becomes an even bigger deal.  It could easily take a casual player a few weeks to hit level 10 just to get access.  That's part of the reason I think that beta impressions were poor; a lot of people simply didn't have enough time to get to level 10 in a weekend to try out PvP.  On top of that things like getting a second set of skills at lvl 15 are a massive advantage for PvP, as are access to more and higher level skills.  Again this means a casual player playing at a rate of say an hour a day is going to fall so far behind hardcore players that PvP is potentially no longer a viable option. 

All that aside, I think there's a certain personal feel/expectation to a game's pace that is effective (or not).  After I've done a bunch of major and minor quests, explored multiple dungeons and saved countless lives, I kind of feel like I've earned a degree of progress - so it can be discouraging to see the xp bar not feel commensurate with it.  That's more of a personal thing, I'll admit.  As Arclight said, there is a balance, and in spite of all the beta weekends they did, I don't think they found a good one. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 09, 2014, 11:34:13 PM »

it would have to be a REALLY casual person to take a couple weeks to get to 10.  It's only a few hours of gameplay to get to that point.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 10, 2014, 05:59:46 AM »

Yeah, I don't see how anyone could take weeks to get to level 10, unless they play in 10 minute spurts every 3 days or so.

A new one
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 10, 2014, 04:46:57 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 09, 2014, 05:31:37 PM

always a possibility, but if you like a game you can always find other people still playing and join a 'real' guild.

Also, you gotta remember, you can be in up to 5 different guilds all at the same time...I am in 3 right now. The OO one, my "main guild" that has right around 50 ppl, and a "Trader's Guild". I

PSN: MythicalMino
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 10, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 10, 2014, 05:59:46 AM

Yeah, I don't see how anyone could take weeks to get to level 10, unless they play in 10 minute spurts every 3 days or so.

I'll have to double check but I think it took me around 15-20 hours total over 10 days.  Of course I died a lot so that probably wasted a lot of time, plus I think I missed a big chunk of lvl 8-10 quest area that I just found last night.  If you can only play half an hour to an hour a day, that could take a few weeks.  Depending on your point of view, that may sound way too casual, but I suspect there are a lot of gamers who only have that much time to game each day, due to work, kids, friends, etc.

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 10, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »

Anyone belong to or know of any good trade guilds to join?  I realize we can get a guild store if we get enough members but I would rather not sell stuff to OO/GT/Wanderers members.  With no Auction house its really hard to sell stuff unless you get in a trade guild and was just wandering if anyone had one in particular that seemed to have a good number of members and are active in buying and selling items. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 11, 2014, 12:19:57 AM »

20 hours to get to level 10 seems like that would be way below the average time for a casual gamer.  i would guess it's more around 12-14 or so for a casual gamer and 7-10 for a less casual gamer
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 14, 2014, 06:06:01 PM »

I'm curious if any others besides Ron and myself are suffering from lag and/or load (or other technical) issues.  Also what region you live in.  Both of us are on the West Coast so maybe that's a factor?  The only other common theme I've seen on lag is players from Australia.

I'm starting to struggle with my enjoyment of this game.  I absolutely love the environments and graphics, the open world feel, the music, the voiceovers - all the things that made ES games great.  But the overall multiplayer implementation and tech issues combined with bugs and occasional oddball difficulty balancing are making my enthusiasm wane quickly.

LAG - this is something I haven't seen since Shadowbane.  Kind of like the rubber-banding but not quite so bad.  I'll hit a button and sometimes nothing happens.  Sometimes a couple seconds will pass while the mob is frozen on screen and then the effect (like knockback) takes place.  Sometimes only I'm frozen while the mob isn't, and I'm dead when it unfreezes.  But then some times it will all work as normal and it's really fun.  It's very frustrating, particularly in a game where you need to double tap to dodge/roll at times.  Not being able to count on a spell effect to go off has caused me to die way more times than I can count.  I don't know if this is a pure ping/lag issue or something else.  I've also seen this effect in Chat (as much as a 3 second delay) so it's not a graphics/frame rate problem.  Ditto at the guild bank.

LOAD TIMES/FREEZES - the transition load times are sporadic on my computer.  Some times I load up quickly, other times it takes minutes.  And some times it just hangs completely and I have to logoff and logon to get back.  Talk about immersion killer...

I'm really surprised that after all the betas and stress tests they did, the game still released like this.  I've seen others in zone chat complaining too, but maybe it's not affecting the majority of the population?  Our guild members seem to be doing fine.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 14, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »

Lag hasn't been an issue since the head start for me, but the load times last night we're insanely long. It usually takes me a few seconds to log in or load into a new area but last night it was taking me almost 2 minutes.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 14, 2014, 10:05:16 PM »

I've had very few issues...mostly some slight lag and a couple quests I had to log out and back in to trigger.  While I really enjoy the game I am really starting to see the console roots and it's clear it was designed for a controller.  The UI, even with add-ons, is horrid and slow and the 6 (5 plus ultimate) skill bar totally sucks.  It's sad because there's a great game underneath and it's overshadowed by the UI and lack of any real modern AAA conveniences.

In short:  Love the game, hate the UI, despise the limitations, sick of console conversions for MMOs (where the majority of players are PC)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: April 15, 2014, 12:28:38 AM »

While I haven't seen actual 'lag' before, I have seen insane load times (on the order of minutes sometimes), bugs (quest triggers not properly firing), NPCs that won't shut the !@%!%^!! up (seriously, I want to shoot the damn Daggerfall banker IN THE HEAD), and bugs (I've had my account 'status' reset THREE times now, each time giving me all the preorder items again, resetting my bank maximum to 60, and wiping any money I had stored in said bank each time (thankfully none)).

Customer service so far has been next to worthless, too. Don't even get me started.

Do I still enjoy ESO? Yes. But it has its share of serious problems (like wiping inventory in my bank example above - that's something you absolutely must period make sure never ever happens).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:31:35 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2014, 12:36:23 PM »

funny lil werewolf bug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0goZUh0GDLk

Sadly there was a dupe glitch and it could potentially screw the game over.  blech

In other news I've finished the main story and started the second faction at Veteran Rank 1. yay

For those that don't know, if you are happy with your class there is no need to make a character in the other factions since when the story is complete you start in the next faction as if you just created the character keeping all your stuff/stats.  It's basically New Game +, then when you finish that faction you go to the third for New Game ++.  So one character can do all content in the game. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2014, 07:21:12 PM »

http://imgur.com/a/ZD3oc

Dear Diary
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2014, 10:50:45 PM »

Yup. The werewolf transform is (yet another) buggy thing inside of ESO.

Also, reading their forms, they're banning people left right and center for the dupe bug (that apparently was reported BACK IN FUCKING BETA). Also they're banning anyone for any reason apparently, too. Seems like their auto-banner is hitting people randomly.

Of course I've 'duped' items - I've been hit with the bank bug 3 times so I have 4 copies of all the preorder items and Imperial Edition stuff. Is that enough to get me banned? Hell if I know.

I just know I won't be playing while I wait to see if they can fix this latest fuckup of theirs.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 19, 2014, 05:56:47 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_P7IOdbcMI

sometimes a bit buggy

I saw a neat DK mod that changes to first person for the leap then back.  looked nice
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 21, 2014, 09:07:25 PM »

Starting to get a bit burned out with the grind at 39. I was enjoying the questing for however many hours I've done it so far,  but there's so little variation in what you are doing at this point that it's getting kind of boring. The suggested levels for dungeons are so narrow, and very few people are using the dungeon finder anyway. Other than that there is WvW, but I'm not really into the big zerg thing. And that's kind of it as far as what you can do in the game for now. I'd like to get to 50 for the story, but I'm not feeling it a whole lot at the moment.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 09, 2014, 11:06:17 AM »

The console version has been delayed for six months  icon_eek  However, if you buy and play the game on PC by the end of June, you can get the PS4/XBOne edition for $20, including character transfer and 30 days of play time.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 09, 2014, 11:31:10 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 21, 2014, 09:07:25 PM

Starting to get a bit burned out with the grind at 39. I was enjoying the questing for however many hours I've done it so far,  but there's so little variation in what you are doing at this point that it's getting kind of boring. The suggested levels for dungeons are so narrow, and very few people are using the dungeon finder anyway. Other than that there is WvW, but I'm not really into the big zerg thing. And that's kind of it as far as what you can do in the game for now. I'd like to get to 50 for the story, but I'm not feeling it a whole lot at the moment.

the vet level dungeons are pretty cool.  (having said that though I am done with the game)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: May 10, 2014, 02:09:22 AM »

I never thought I'd say this, but yeah, I hit the unsub button the other day too (before my first 'free' month was up).

Partly because changing my subscription type was fucking royal pain in the ass (seriously, it DOES NOT WORK on your average laptop monitor resolution, and needs something bigger), and partly because I just don't play it any more, but I hit unsub and for now, I'm not looking back.

ESO has a lot of problems. So many areas of it just scream, "This is our first MMO, and we didn't learn a single fucking thing whatsoever in all the other MMOs that have come out in the last decade." It's really really sad.

This would have been a MUCH better game had it just been co-op with up to 4 other of your friends. And nobody else.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 10, 2014, 03:10:11 AM »

I feel like an ass for doing it, but I got my money back despite playing a lot of hours.  It was just such an amateurish experience from start to finish.  The random 'oops, we accidentally banned a lot of people' was the last straw for me.   Was halfway through the first month and just talked to them and they offered to refund me so I took it. 

Put that money towards Wildstar, so I basically get to make the same mistake twice with the same money, so I'll call that a win.   ninja
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 10, 2014, 06:51:44 AM »

Another balloon goes *pop*..

Playing beta and the first week of going "live"...My gaming joy was rising nicely, believing all the troubles they were having were par for the course of a new MMO.
And that's true. But there is a feeling you get after playing a substantial amount of time. I have visions of the offices of the developer's, where all the cubicles look like
they're manned by head-less chickens.
Blunder after blunder. Spasmodic responses to daily problems that were becoming common place. What a shame. You feel like, yes its going to be huge. Lucy, I home...
This was the one that would scratch my MMO itch. Instead it became the mosquito that caused the itch.

Anyway, trying to wax eloquent is not my main strength. Hey honey, what is my main strength? Get off the computer and start raking the back yard.......bah, she's just in a bad
mood. Normally she'd say, You are a man's man. You are my morning and my night. You are my strong arm, and soft shoulder.......no really, honest.

Anyway remembering my Army communications training, Arclight, out!

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 11, 2014, 05:36:22 AM »

I'm still having some fun in the game, but that's likely due to the fact I've been playing it very intermittently.  Some of the problems are starting to get fixed, but I do wonder how long my interest will last.  I kind of feel like that with every MMORPG these days.  They just aren't designed well to hold attention for a few months let alone years.  Oh well.
fanneyjack
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 21, 2014, 06:31:08 AM »

The game is great and rp friendly. Im not saying everyone will rp with u but the people on there are really nice so im sure u will find a huge group of people u could do it with. Id rather make it an online game because theres countless times I wanted to play skyrim witb my friends and if this was 1player would role playing be boring? Because u dont have anyone to do it with lol.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: July 17, 2014, 08:46:55 PM »

Apparently this launched on Steam today.  That's generally a sign that the game is not doing as well as needed, since they're looking to split the profits to draw in more players.  It's also on sale as part of the QuakeCon stuff.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 20, 2014, 01:18:26 AM »

I saw something about 700k+ subscriptions for it so not sure its doing terrible. But I don't have much interest in it. The beta didn't impress anything on me. I know I'll eventually play it though. Probably after the first expansion pack or there's a can't pass up deal for it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: