http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 07:19:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 17411 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »

cool!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2013, 01:44:24 PM »

Way Cool.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2013, 05:06:16 PM »

Im not sure many games can sustain a subscription based model these days but The Elder Scrolls is one that could possibly pull it off.  A positive I see to going subscription is that they are really going to have to deliver a great gaming experience to keep the game viable.  Their brand name is not going to be enough to carry them ( for example see Star Wars ) so if they want to survive in the new world where FTP MMO's are the norm, they will need to bring it in a big way.  This is a good thing.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2013, 10:13:14 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on August 21, 2013, 05:06:16 PM

Im not sure many games can sustain a subscription based model these days but The Elder Scrolls is one that could possibly pull it off.  A positive I see to going subscription is that they are really going to have to deliver a great gaming experience to keep the game viable.  Their brand name is not going to be enough to carry them ( for example see Star Wars ) so if they want to survive in the new world where FTP MMO's are the norm, they will need to bring it in a big way.  This is a good thing.

They need to get PvP right.  That, I think, is what killed Star Wars most.  I personally don't care for it but there are a lot of folks that do.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »

That's a bold decision.  Maybe they already have a srategy for transitioning to free to play based on how long subs are healthy?  6-12 months generate primary revenue from subs, 1 year and beyond mixture of free to play plus subs?

I don't think many games can sustain a sub model anymore, even with the a really well known IP.  There are too many alternatives in the mmo space.   
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »

I am *extremely* happy that they opted for Subscription based.    I am sick of walking around in MMOs feeling like I'm walking through a car dealership with a dozen things trying to get me to spend money.

I'm also sick of looking at an awesome mount someone got and instead of thinking 'wow!  that guy found that awesome mount so I need to go to that dungeon and see if I can get it' I'm saying 'wow!  that guy paid 20 bucks for that awesome mount'.   

THANK YOU for making this thing subscription based.   At least not everyone has lost their minds in 2013.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »

I feel just the opposite - as a FTP game I might check it out even with a $60 up-front purchase but with a subscription model I have no interest.  I don't have the time or dedication to play a sub-MMO anymore so I'll just skip it until they inevitably go FTP.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 22, 2013, 03:53:31 PM

I am *extremely* happy that they opted for Subscription based.    I am sick of walking around in MMOs feeling like I'm walking through a car dealership with a dozen things trying to get me to spend money.

I'm also sick of looking at an awesome mount someone got and instead of thinking 'wow!  that guy found that awesome mount so I need to go to that dungeon and see if I can get it' I'm saying 'wow!  that guy paid 20 bucks for that awesome mount'.   

THANK YOU for making this thing subscription based.   At least not everyone has lost their minds in 2013.

You just like throwing your money at developers for no apparent benefit?  Since there are game like Guild Wars 2 out there where not once did I feel like I was a second rate player compared to someone who has spent money beyond the retail cost of the game.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »

Quote from: skystride on August 22, 2013, 05:50:46 PM

You just like throwing your money at developers for no apparent benefit?  Since there are game like Guild Wars 2 out there where not once did I feel like I was a second rate player compared to someone who has spent money beyond the retail cost of the game.

yeah but everyone whispered it behind your back Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »

icon_lol

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2013, 09:38:12 PM »

I find F2P annoying even when it's implemented well. Guild Wars 2 is about as good an implementation as you're going to see. Yet if I want a bag slot, pay up. If I want an extra character slot, pay up. If I want another bank slot, pay up. Want this item? Well, you can't pay for that with in-game gold, you need to convert real money to this for of currency and use this currency to do this and do that....what a total pain in the ass.

I could easily have bought bags and bank slots and still come out cheaper than a subscription model. But to me, not having to jump through hoops and be able to just play the goddamn game is worth quite a bit of money. About $15 a month, as it turns out.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2013, 11:44:42 PM »

I like tossing my money at developers for fully realized high quality content instead of playing free marketing vehicles disguised as games.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »

Pay for fluff,
or subscribe for quality content updates?

I'll take Subscriptions for $14 Alex.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2013, 12:05:28 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 22, 2013, 11:44:42 PM

I like tossing my money at developers for fully realized high quality content instead of playing free marketing vehicles disguised as games.

Plenty of F2P games are of very high quality and don't hide the pay options.  I think this is one of many places where gamers tend to go all 'change is bad' and 'get off my lawn'-y.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2013, 12:28:12 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 21, 2013, 10:13:14 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on August 21, 2013, 05:06:16 PM

They need to get PvP right.  That, I think, is what killed Star Wars most.  I personally don't care for it but there are a lot of folks that do.

I don't think it was PvP that killed SWTOR.  I probably sound like a broken record but I think it was just a flawed concept from the beginning.  Blending what could have been the best SW single player story game with a WoW-like MMORPG is simply a combo that doesn't work; the two game types are in opposition, and each suffered due to satisfying design requirements of the other.  Something game designers need to figure out is that you don't necessarily need to have every single feature in every game - just do a good job with the elements that make your design into the best game available.  So many MMORPGs these past few years seem to have a checklist of a gazillion must-have features (many done poorly).  Look at how simple LoL is, essentially all they have is a single gaming concept with a few different modes of play, and the core game is still on the same basic map it was 3 years ago.  Imagine if they tried to overlay a single player story/choice-based game on top of it, it would just be silly.

I haven't seen much yet, but I worry that ESO will suffer the same fate.  The good news is it appears they are doing a lot with their 3-faction PvP - but that style of gameplay didn't save DAOC, and again, any game that has allowed PvP to dictate PvE (or vice versa) has generally not fared well.  I hope they can make the PvP meaningful and make sense in the game, and not be a forced feature.  Given that ES has always been a single player game, I have to say I am skeptical at how the whole "Dark Age of Elder Scrolls" will play out.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2013, 12:39:18 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis
Plenty of F2P games are of very high quality and don't hide the pay options.  I think this is one of many places where gamers tend to go all 'change is bad' and 'get off my lawn'-y.

I think not hiding the pay options is one of the annoyances for some of us. It's like constantly getting hit in the face with a commercial for the game you're already playing. To me it's like the difference between people who pay for satellite radio and those who don't. I pay for satellite radio because I can't stand commercials. It's worth it to me. Many people think it's stupid to pay for radio when they can get it for free and ignore the commercials. Neither perspective is "wrong." It's just a personal preference and is valid depending on how much value you place upon your time.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2013, 05:02:10 PM »

I'm all in for a buy to play model, like with GW2.  There have been some well polished and fun games recently that did their particular form of mmorpg very well, and were not able to sustain a monthly sub model.  ESO would have to be really, really special.   
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2013, 05:04:25 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 22, 2013, 11:44:42 PM

I think that's assuming a lot, though.  Until the game launches and has been live for awhile it's impossible to know if you're getting more for your subscription fees than you would get in a FTP game.

A first-time MMO developer doesn't fill me with hope (see SW:TOR).
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2013, 08:45:53 PM »

FTP MMO's lack immersion and the suspension of disbelief for me. There are a few reasons I dislike the current trend of FTP, but the snapping back to reality, that the real money advertising brings, just ruins it for me.

I think our expectations of good, immersive, MMORPG's has dwindled to accept this insipid, watered down way of making money on the backs of gamers.

I think part of it is the money grab, but also the lack of imaginative development of real content, in place of "cosmetic fluff".

The genre needs real help, instead of Band-Aid solutions.

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2013, 09:29:25 PM »

Subscriptions and car dealerships aren't mutually exclusive. Have they actually said there won't be a cash shop?

Ale
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2013, 09:46:13 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on August 23, 2013, 09:29:25 PM

Have they actually said there won't be a cash shop?

There will be according to this:

we will have a shop to buy kind of fun stuff and services too like name changes and things like that.

Which is a little broad.  Mounts could easily be "fun stuff" - they could have a model like NWO where the fastest mounts require a cash payout.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2013, 03:51:58 AM »

If you're going to go the subscription route, then go the subscription route.  Turning around and nickel and diming people with an additional cash shop is bush league.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2013, 04:03:24 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 24, 2013, 03:51:58 AM

If you're going to go the subscription route, then go the subscription route.  Turning around and nickel and diming people with an additional cash shop is bush league.

WoW does the same thing with pets and name changes and transfers.  as long as they don't make it required (keys to open chests and stuff) I don't mind.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2013, 05:28:47 PM »

Yeah, Im pretty sure they dont intend to put any real upgrades in the cash shop.  That would suck.  I think its their intention to sell various "skins" for mounts and other vanity items.  It likely wont effect game play at all.  If your extreme firebreathing mount has the exact same effect on the mechanics of the game as my old plow horse, feel free to pay the extra for that.  If they can make a little extra money by selling vanity items Im cool with that. 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »

GameInformer

Seems Bethesda are trying to do a 'FF11 on the 360' and get The Elder Scrolls Online to not need Xbox Live Gold or Playstation Plus to play on Xbox One and PS4 respectively

Both Microsoft and Sony will be charging for multiplayer access when the next generation hardware launches this fall. Sony is allowing free-to-play titles to sit in front of the paywall, and one publisher is pushing to to have that same exemption apply to its upcoming game.

In an interview with OXM, Bethesda states that they are lobbying for The Elder Scrolls Online to be exempt from the multiplayer paywall. Vice president of public relations and marketing Pete Hines specifically called out Microsoft regarding talks about freeing The Elder Scrolls Online from an additional subscription fee (the publisher just announced the business model for the upcoming MMO).

The situation is the same with Sony, though. Right now, regardless of which console platform players choose, they'll have to pay two fees. Bethesda hasn't been successful yet with Microsoft, but Hines indicates that the publisher will "keep pushing on to see if there's something that can be done."

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »

thumbsup

[edit] of course they'll have to get Sony to do it first so MS can copy them biggrin
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:42:19 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2013, 01:06:47 PM »

Just a heads up people.  Elder Scrolls is doing a massive stress test on the beta this weekend and has sent out a bunch of beta invites.  I got one today!  Its only good for the weekend but they state that it will help your chances of getting a regular beta invite as well.   Game play will be a bit hectic as they plan on inducing crashes intentionally and push the server as much as possible.
 Anyway, check your e-mail if you signed up, an invite might be waiting for you.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »

Considering I had the highest possible chance when registering on their system, I feel very sad that I still havent any beta invites.

BASTARDS!

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »

Well, they only got like 3 million requests to beta test. The odds of anyone getting a key are really damn low.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on September 04, 2013, 01:06:47 PM

Just a heads up people.  Elder Scrolls is doing a massive stress test on the beta this weekend and has sent out a bunch of beta invites.  I got one today!  Its only good for the weekend but they state that it will help your chances of getting a regular beta invite as well.   Game play will be a bit hectic as they plan on inducing crashes intentionally and push the server as much as possible.
 Anyway, check your e-mail if you signed up, an invite might be waiting for you.

a little bird told me it was for 3 hours on Friday.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2013, 07:59:10 AM »

all I have to say is IN!!

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 07, 2013, 07:59:10 AM

all I have to say is IN!!

I dunno. That in smiley isn't enthusiastic enough for my liking. Tongue

I am TOTALLY IN. Give me more NOW!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »

werewolves.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2013, 12:23:12 AM »

OMG.   Just got an invite!

(of COURSE I did.... the same week I'm getting two consoles)
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2013, 12:24:41 AM »

Wait a second... upon further review my 'beta session' only lasts two days????

W. T. F?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2013, 12:24:45 AM »

ninja

yep, only 2 days.  I'm debating even trying to find time to play, the last beta event already sold me on the game.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:42:11 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2013, 02:02:48 AM »

Got the same thing. And I work ALL weekend, even Friday. Argh.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2013, 05:46:03 AM »

I got in for this one as well.  Glad its running thru the weekend, the last one ran during my work shift and was so time limited I didnt get a chance to check it out. 

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »

Got in too, not sure if I'll have much time for it though unfortunately.

Download took forever but got it done.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »

I'm in too, downloading now.   ninja

Quote from: msduncan on November 20, 2013, 12:24:41 AM

Wait a second... upon further review my 'beta session' only lasts two days????

W. T. F?

FF XIV had 2-day weekend only betas for two months leading up to release.  Seemed to work fine there.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: