http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 03:50:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 16061 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2012, 06:24:50 AM »

Matt Frior has confirmed that TESO won't be using the HeroEngine in this Game Informer article. According to him the HeroEngine was only purchased by Zenamax Online in 2007 to use as a prototyping tool, and they have since written their own egine. Apparently the impression that it was using the HeroEngine has caused some controvery on the Interwebs, as fans have interpreted that to mean TESO will end up being just another MMO. OK then...well 3rd party engine or their own, I actually think the game sounds like its shaping up to be just a modern rendition of DAoC anyways.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:26:27 AM by kronovan » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2012, 06:10:51 PM »

That's good, as the HeroEngine (used by TOR) was a piece of crap not designed for a MMO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »

I only ever watched my son play ToR in the beta, so enlighten me - how is the HeroEngine a PoC? ToR is one the highest ranked MMORPG's in the past 5 years, so to be honest I'm a bit surprised that its' underlying engine would be so poor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2012, 07:14:24 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 28, 2012, 06:10:51 PM

That's good, as the HeroEngine (used by TOR) was a piece of crap not designed for a MMO.

I'm confused- they say HeroEngine was designed specifically for MMO's.  are you sure you're thinking of the right engine?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 11:04:02 PM »

In TOR anyways, they promised fighting with "hundreds" of people. Truth is, the engine can't handle more than 24 vs. 24 and even then it bogs down.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »

14 new screenshots

here are a few

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 04:47:21 PM »

This is such a risky business venture for them.  I'm not sure why they're doing it given the current receptivity for mmos.  Unless they start with a FTP model in mind, they may end up losing big, regardless of how good the game is.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 06:49:59 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 25, 2012, 04:47:21 PM

This is such a risky business venture for them.  I'm not sure why they're doing it given the current receptivity for mmos.  Unless they start with a FTP model in mind, they may end up losing big, regardless of how good the game is.

Because the decision wasn't made in the current market.  This game has been under development for close to 5 years and the market was very different at that time. 

This is one of the major hurdles of any MMO development, reacting to a market that is a constant moving target over a very long development period.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2012, 03:25:08 AM »

From the previews though, there's a few things going for it:

1) There's a huge established set of games set in this world beforehand. It gets people interested in the MMO before it comes out.

2) The devs have come out and said that it'll be soloable up to level cap.

3) On top of that, you can do things like pick whatever weapons you want to use, and there's nothing stopping you from using say, heavy armor while playing a wizard. A lot of the series' stapes are there for you to mess around with.

I'm starting to turn positive towards this. I hope I'm right in the end.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 11:13:58 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 26, 2012, 03:25:08 AM

From the previews though, there's a few things going for it:

1) There's a huge established set of games set in this world beforehand. It gets people interested in the MMO before it comes out.

It gets people talking about the game. It doesn't necessarily make them interested. I've rarely seen a game announcement spark as much negativity among fans and journalists as this game did.

3) On top of that, you can do things like pick whatever weapons you want to use, and there's nothing stopping you from using say, heavy armor while playing a wizard. A lot of the series' stapes are there for you to mess around with.

I've read through the features they've announced earlier, and my impression was that there were in fact very few of the series' staples left in the online game. It feels like a generic MMORPG with an Elder Scrolls facelift, and it's got very little personality or individuality left.

I'm starting to turn positive towards this. I hope I'm right in the end.

I was cautiously optimistic when this was at the rumor stage. Once they announced it and started telling us how it was going to be, I realized right away that this was going to turn into a disaster. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see this game canceled or dramatically redesigned before it gets launched. That tends to happen with games that get a huge, negative backlash in the press after an announcement (see the shooter "reimagining" of XCOM that it now looks like they've more or less given up on).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »

9 minute video with some gameplay.

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 08, 2012, 04:59:42 PM

9 minute video with some gameplay.

No doubt about it, its a gorgeous looking game. But that's a given with an Elder Scrolls game. Although the video was fun to watch I was waiting to see something new and
innovative. But the same-old-same-old still prevails.
It seems to me this game will be like a drop you get within a game..Not an upgrade just the same stats with a bit of a different look. For me there is nothing here so far that has me excited about its release. I know there are many months till its release, I just don't see anything amazing here at all.

The genre is saturated with mediocre, playable MMO's. But a great MMO, seems to be a thing of the past.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »

Maybe the innovation will be that the game doesn't follow the 2-3 hotbar click fest of most mmorpgs, and instead uses a much more streamlined UI?  It sounds like you can choose weapon and armor preferences that are not tied to any class archtype model, which is different from most mmorpgs.  The mega server sounds like a good idea in theory.  

I'm not sure the market will support another subscription fantasy mmorpg though.  Their pricing model could make or break it.  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:29:01 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2013, 10:59:07 AM »

The..eh..Loremaster of Tamriel talks about the various factions.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/21/meet-loremaster-lawrence-the-elder-scrolls-online/#more-139050

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »

You can signup for the beta right now here: http://signup.elderscrollsonline.com/

There's also a really cool trailer about the game out now but its mono so far, which is why I won't link to it yet. The faces are awesome, though!

edit: here is a working version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jNT5cMwxw0
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:56:02 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2013, 05:23:11 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 21, 2013, 10:59:07 AM

The warring alliances is about the stupidest thing I've heard so far for this MMO. Yeah I get it, ex DAoC team members wanting to remake the RvR realms with Cyrodil as the center piece prize now - <sigh>. My problems with this is that IMO it doesn't fit well with the ES canon. As well, the grouping they've made for the factions, if using racial types from the video games, wouldn't work very well - particularly the Aldmeri Dominion. That says to me that the dev team is likely nerfiing some races to create balance - wimpier Redguards and Nords for now Uber High Elves who suddenly excel at some forms of combat. Nerfed races was one of the biggest problems with DAoC and it looks like they're set to repeat.

Aside my other gripes with this like class based/restricted characters and the alliance concept, the premise and story elements I've seen so far just seem ill conceived - I swear the simple campaign my son's thrown together for the Elder Scrolls Pen'n'Paper he GM's is better than this stuff! I wish I could be more excited and positive about this, but it just keeps looking more and more to me to be some fantasy-based  MMORPG with a ES skin thrown over it. Wow, what a disappointment that Bethesda would let such an imagination-challenged team take the reigns for this.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:51:15 PM by kronovan » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »

Trailer was cool,i wish this(and other MMOs)would come to Consoles

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »

Beta Sign Up  surprised not to see this posted here.    I haven't signed up as I think I am done with paid subscription based MMO, but I know other here are interested

See Razgon post
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:38:37 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 23, 2013, 12:52:16 PM

Beta Sign Up  surprised not to see this posted here.    I haven't signed up as I think I am done with paid subscription based MMO, but I know other here are interested

Are you serious?

Quote from: Razgon on January 22, 2013, 04:04:47 PM

You can signup for the beta right now here: http://signup.elderscrollsonline.com/

There's also a really cool trailer about the game out now but its mono so far, which is why I won't link to it yet. The faces are awesome, though!

A new one
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2013, 01:38:04 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 23, 2013, 12:57:20 PM

Are you serious?

Quote from: Razgon on January 22, 2013, 04:04:47 PM

An my skimming skills suck  Tongue

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2013, 07:33:21 PM »

The more awesome the CGI trailer, the more likely it is to fail.

e.g.
Warhammer Online - pretty good trailer
Star Wars: The Old Republic - incredible trailer(s)
DC Universe Online - everyone was raving about the CGI trailer

GW2 - in-engine trailer, game is not a flop

ESO trailer is pretty darn good CGI, it is doomed! icon_twisted

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2013, 08:28:54 PM »

It's hard to imagine warring factions based along neat racial lines in the Elder Scrolls universe.  I think if I approach the concept as daoc 2 with an elder scrolls paint job, it works better.  The 3 faction system worked really well in daoc, it just doesn't really match up with the Elder Scrolls world that I've played in since Morrowind.  I hope they let common sense prevail and price this thing right.  Buy the box, play for free.  In app purchases like GW2.     
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 04:52:31 AM »

signed up, said my chances were 'excellent'  icon_lol

Because I can,
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 06:40:42 AM »

Sure, because you're a bot and you'd play better than everyone else, right? right? slywink

I've signed up, but I'm not holding out much hope for the game.

I wonder how the status changes, as I've filled in nearly everything, leaving the guild fields empty and I got Above Average. Pretty smooth system though. It's one of the better ones I've seen.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:42:38 AM by Rumpy » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on January 25, 2013, 06:40:42 AM

I wonder how the status changes, as I've filled in nearly everything, leaving the guild fields empty and I got Above Average. Pretty smooth system though. It's one of the better ones I've seen.

I put in The Wanderers since if I do join a guild in a MMO it's them; I think mentioning them bumped me up to excellent right away  icon_wink

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 09:55:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 25, 2013, 08:11:02 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on January 25, 2013, 06:40:42 AM

I put in The Wanderers since if I do join a guild in a MMO it's them; I think mentioning them bumped me up to excellent right away  icon_wink
I was Above Average for most of the form until I wrote a haiku in the "Tell us why we should pick you" field.  I'm now Excellent.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2013, 11:54:11 PM »

Hah, that's awesome. Care to share it with us? biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2013, 02:18:30 AM »

Q&A about the Daggerfall Covenant.

Will there be books in game, and if so, will the number of books be comparable to the number in past games? – By Emmy Mariner

There will be more books in ESO than in previous Elder Scrolls titles, including some that you’ve seen before – if their inclusion is appropriate to the Second Era.

I guess fans of reading every book you can find in the games will love that one.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2013, 03:22:44 AM »

beta invites are due out at the end of March.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »

new hands on.

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »

Could it be? Am I foolish to think such a thing? No, it just can't be!
Argh, I can't fight it any longer. This could be the one MMORPG that binds us altogether once again.

I will hope against all hope, that this one, will gather our interests for more than a month or two.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2013, 06:13:40 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 19, 2013, 04:09:05 PM

Argh, I can't fight it any longer. This could be the one MMORPG that binds us altogether once again.

I will hope against all hope, that this one, will gather our interests for more than a month or two.
I recommend not hoping, and going into this with the lowest expecations you can.  I've seen you go into a couple of mmos with hope, and it didn't end well.  Aim your sights low brother, and go from there, like the rest of us. icon_smile
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2013, 07:14:57 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on March 19, 2013, 06:13:40 PM

Quote from: Arclight on March 19, 2013, 04:09:05 PM

I recommend not hoping, and going into this with the lowest expecations you can.  I've seen you go into a couple of mmos with hope, and it didn't end well.  Aim your sights low brother, and go from there, like the rest of us. icon_smile

More than just a couple bro.  icon_wink
I know what the odds are that this will be a grand slam hit,  Zero to slim.

But if it could just raise the bar a few notches above what we've been getting over the last few years, I would be extremely happy with that.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »

go cliff racer, go cliff racer, go cliff racer gooooooo!

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2013, 05:31:07 PM

go cliff racer, go cliff racer, go cliff racer gooooooo!

Oh hell no.  There are no cliff racers left.  I killed them all in Morrowind. 
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2013, 02:15:43 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 09, 2013, 03:22:44 AM

beta invites are due out at the end of March.

Its the End of March, wheres my damn invite.   icon_evil

Edit: Well damn it never said anything about March 2013.  ninja
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:18:31 AM by soulbringer » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2013, 04:23:14 AM »

I'll make a phone call tomorrow - perhaps I can get us a chance at some invites.   I too hope for a world where we can all play together once again.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2013, 05:38:58 AM »

yay!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2013, 03:44:26 PM »

GameInformer had a story that 20 minute video leaked onto Youtube...it of course got pulled

However,someone else put it onto another site,so you can see the video here(you should perhaps hurry incase they find this one as well)

http://www.noshitshurlock.com/new-the-elder-scrolls-online-gameplay-footage/

Looks er....so-so I guess,nothing special....yet

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »

seems it's been taken down,here is a new link that for now still has the video

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Gets-Leaked-Gameplay-Video-Screenshots-345253.shtml

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: