http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:06:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DUST 514 - (FPS MMO game in EVE universe)  (Read 5188 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2009, 12:22:02 PM »

Here's an article from TTH on it...

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/75130

There are also various videos floating around if you want to search for them.  I found one (average quality at best) if you're lazy:  Linky

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:24:55 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:14:45 PM »

the official trailer.  didn't realize this one was console only though, which means I'll probably skip it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:24:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 12, 2009, 11:14:45 PM

the official trailer.  didn't realize this one was console only though, which means I'll probably skip it.

My understanding was it is a PC title - except for that trailers name I have not seen any console reference and lots of pc reference smile

http://www.dust514.org/

Seems as good a site as any to view

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 06, 2009, 09:24:12 PM

My understanding was it is a PC title - except for that trailers name I have not seen any console reference and lots of pc reference smile

http://www.dust514.org/

Seems as good a site as any to view

From that website:

It should also be welcome news for everyone who is hoping for a PC release as the current engine (Unreal Engine 3) was designed for DirectX9/10 PCs, the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.  This should mean that even though as far as we know, DUST 514 will initially only be a console only release. The hopes for a PC port after release remain alive.

So, console only with possible future PC port.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 06:25:42 PM »

That is just weird as the game is being touted as a hook into the eve universe. Ohh well put me back to uninterested until they see sense smile

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 06:51:13 PM »

A vision of the future: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mlVuLs_Nw&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 08:29:40 PM »

I'm not following this at all - what is this? A game that lets you hook into the EVE universe and play FPS battles, that determine what happens in EVE?

IF so, its pretty damn cool..

or am I missing somehing here - that video was pretty cool

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:38:56 PM »

Yeah.  As I understand it, either now or soon planets will be contested, and the way a corp/alliance gets control is by way of ground squads they send in...squads consisting of players in Dust 514.  Damn cool in theory, but how will it work in practice?  There are so many planets; isn't there a lot of potential for one-sided conflicts?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 11:09:31 PM »

If this is a hook into the Eve universe, why wouldn't they also release it on PC's right away? It isn't like you'll ever be able to play eve on a console.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 12:52:22 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 27, 2011, 08:29:40 PM

I'm not following this at all - what is this? A game that lets you hook into the EVE universe and play FPS battles, that determine what happens in EVE?

IF so, its pretty damn cool..

or am I missing somehing here - that video was pretty cool

'Dust 514' is an MMO-ish FPS that will be linked to 'Eve Online'. The planets will become contested and EVE players will be able to indirectly reap benefits from the actions undertaken by the 'Dust 514' players. It's yet to be seen if this crazy concept will work. If 'Dust' flops, that could set back 'Eve's progress. All that said, that's one badass trailer.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 10:32:10 PM »

I agree with the general consensus.  I'm not exactly sure how it will work realistically.  But the concept itself is totally awesome in my book.  And I also agree that you would think an immediate PC release of 514 would be a total no-brainer.  Kind of bizarre.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 01:32:15 AM »

PS3 exclusive.

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 03:28:05 AM »

Playstation Vita as well as PS3.

Joystiq has a new preview up:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/20/dust-514-preview-contractual-murder/#continued

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 02:46:11 PM »

apparently corruptrelic doesn't remember he's posted in this thread, so I'll steal his link:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ccp-dust-514-is-the-biggest-multiplayer-fps

Tongue

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 11:54:07 PM »

a bunch of info on the game from Massively:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/01/eve-evolved-all-there-is-to-know-about-dust-514/

Because I can,
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 09:36:32 AM »

PS3...ONLY...no PC?

w...t...f?
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »

Quote from: Thry on January 08, 2012, 09:36:32 AM

PS3...ONLY...no PC?

w...t...f?

Real time croos platform interaction.

"Ready for things to get more bananas? Let's say you're on a planet, shooting dudes with your space gun, and you need some assistance. Say, a series of high-powered laser beams from an orbital ship, just for example's sake. You could always ask your buddy who's sitting at his PC playing EVE Online to do just that by sending him the coordinates. And just like that, lasers rain from the sky, destroying that pesky tank that simply refused to stop firing missiles in your direction. That also happens in real-time via cross-platform chat."
----from link above.

That sounds awesome, especially if you are into EVE.  You could do the above solo as well I am sure if your Pc is near your PS3.

morlac00 on PSN
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »

speaking of EVE - are people here still into that?  ive always thought of giving it a go and it miiiiiiight be about time.  is it still active, interesting and newbie friendly? (well, i know its not "newbie friendly" in that its a very dense and complicated game, which im fine with - i mean am i going to be all alone with my brand new guy for four months until i catch up?)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 05:57:33 PM »

Quote from: morlac on January 08, 2012, 05:12:19 PM

Quote from: Thry on January 08, 2012, 09:36:32 AM

PS3...ONLY...no PC?

w...t...f?

Real time croos platform interaction.

"Ready for things to get more bananas? Let's say you're on a planet, shooting dudes with your space gun, and you need some assistance. Say, a series of high-powered laser beams from an orbital ship, just for example's sake. You could always ask your buddy who's sitting at his PC playing EVE Online to do just that by sending him the coordinates. And just like that, lasers rain from the sky, destroying that pesky tank that simply refused to stop firing missiles in your direction. That also happens in real-time via cross-platform chat."
----from link above.

That sounds awesome, especially if you are into EVE.  You could do the above solo as well I am sure if your Pc is near your PS3.

I think the point was, you can also play lots of shooters on your PC so why can't you play this side of the Eve universe on the PC?  It makes no sense.  I prefer to play games on my PC these days, but I don't want to play the [IMO] boring-ass Eve part of this game.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 02:38:36 AM »

mouse/keyboard support confirmed

So which one is better? As far as DUST 514 is concerned, it doesn't matter since you can use either of them. Yes, that's right. After sending away some emails asking for answers to important questions I was informed by CCP that the keyboard and mouse will have full support in DUST 514 on PS3.

now if only they add in PC support  icon_wink

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 05:49:41 AM »

I'm actually quite intersted in playing this, but since I don't have an PS3 I'm out.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 09:14:23 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 17, 2012, 05:49:41 AM

I'm actually quite intersted in playing this, but since I don't have an PS3 I'm out.

If only there was an easy solution to this conundrum. slywink
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 05:51:16 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 17, 2012, 09:14:23 AM

Quote from: kronovan on February 17, 2012, 05:49:41 AM

If only there was an easy solution to this conundrum. slywink
Yes (though I realize what you mean), that's for the numbskull developers to understand that since all Eve Online players are playing it on PC anyway, wouldn't it make sense for their new game to cater to at least include those guys, rather than a bunch of PS3 players who couldn't give two shits about Eve Online? Sorry for using Destructor-type language there, just using it for dramatic effect.  icon_smile

I could totally understand going multi-platform on it, but niching this spinoff onto a totally separate platform seems like strange marketing, imho, strictly as an outsider looking in.

All I know about Eve Online is every single space combat game (MMO or otherwise) I've tried in recent years has all these people bitching the game isn't exactly like Eve Online, and yet seemingly none of those people actually play Eve anymore. Doesn't mean Eve isn't a fine game, I just have found it odd that I keep running into folks who rave about something they haven't played in ages (I don't consider Eve to be quite old enough to be like an early 1990s game that people rave about).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:19:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 08:56:25 PM »

I hope they sell 3 copies for this idiotic PS3 decision.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 07:01:08 AM »

Quote from: Thry on February 17, 2012, 08:56:25 PM

I hope they sell 3 copies for this idiotic PS3 decision.

looks like it's going to be free to play now:

Eurogamer can megaphone that Dust 514, the exclusive PS3 MMOFPS that will exist within Eve Online, will now be free to download and free to play.

There was going to be a $10 to $20 cover charge for the game on PSN, but that has now been scrapped.

oddly enough that makes me less inclined to try it- at least with a charge there'd be less tweens running around in the game icon_lol

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 06:37:10 PM »

expansion in 2013:

PVE expansion - A survival rogue drone mode will be added, and will have players holding down outposts, doing their best to stick it out. Think horde or zombie mode.
    eSports expansion - Competitive gaming will be supported with gladiator arenas in the EVE universe, with modes like CTF, deathmatches and custom battles being supported. Viewing and betting on these matches will be supported in EVE to make this a true sporting event.
    Hostile environments - An expansion will allow Dust 514 play in inhospitable worlds, though players may need vehicles to progress.

plus a Vita app:

Details on an upcoming Dust 514 PS Vita companion app were also revealed during the keynote. It's currently under development for a 2012 release, with the tentative name Dust 514: Neocom. The application will allow access to the game's market, skills systems, mail, chat, and star maps. CCP is also evaluating further PS3 possibilities, like realtime PS3-to-Vita gameplay.

Because I can,
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »

This should be moved to the console forum.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:57 PM »

It's still an MMORPG.

I'm a little disappointed that the Vita version is just a "companion app" rather than the game itself as it sounds like was originally planned.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 10:26:52 PM »

first round of closed beta keys goes out tomorrow.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 12:37:46 AM »

a bit on pricing for premium items in the game.  it's still in beta though, so things probably will change.

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 11:12:46 PM »

So how will Dust 514 and EvE work together?

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/ccp-games-eve-online-dust-514-inferno-controlling-the-stars/

LD

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »

buy the Mercenary Pack and get beta access:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/26/dust-514-mercenary-pack-out-today-on-psn-grants-beta-access-thursday/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:53:09 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »

upcoming closed beta test connects Dust to EVE.

CCP Games Executive Producer Brandon Laurino opened up on the features coming to DUST 514's closed beta "precursor" release, which begins August 21st. It will be during this closed beta that DUST 514 and EVE Online will finally meet and shake hands (or try to strangle each other for profit). The team will put DUST 514 on EVE's test server Singularity to see how the games interact in a live environment for the first time. Best part? All EVE Online subscribers now get access to DUST's beta.

"We can't wait to see what happens when these games collide in the same shared universe," Laurino wrote.

With this move, the team will also be testing out orbital strikes on the battlefield. Players will be able to call down powerful attacks from space onto the heads of their enemies. For right now, the orbital strikes will come from computer-controlled barges, but eventually EVE players will be able to fill the role. Another future feature will be the ability for groundpounders to use orbital artillery to fire on ships in return.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 10:18:03 PM »

exclusive PSN Plus subscriber closed beta announced.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 05:11:39 AM »

Dust 514 Neocom Vita App

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 01:02:20 PM »

yeah, so I fired up EvE last night and realized how much I forgot in the two years since I played.  Had trouble getting my Drone Cruiser out of port..  Re-docked and realized I need a primer as so much has changed frown

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 01:18:26 AM »

beta preview.

This is where some of the complex mystique starts to wear thin with me, because some of the decisions in Dust 514's core gameplay may rub players the wrong way. Regular gear collected from combat or purchased with in-game or real money can expire when you do. If you purchase an item with ten uses, for example, it loses a "use" every time you die. This could be a weapon, armor upgrade, or special item. If balance and hit detection isn't addressed and I feel like I'm dying for the wrong reasons, why would I continue to evolve my character? There are also items designated as "blue prints" within the world, which you can also purchase and that never exhaust in use (these items are usually sold at a premium). For me, constant resets don't push me to work harder, they push me to walk away.

it never occurred to me they'd bring the 'you die, lose stuff' over to this, but at least items are not gone in one shot.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 10:25:29 PM »

Joystiq has beta keys.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 09:37:29 PM »

October launch?

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 01:29:51 AM »

So the new trailer is pretty cool.  I can't get over the decision to keep this ps3 exclusive - but what do I know?

GT Link

If someone wants to move the thread to Console Gaming since it's ps3 exclusive, (even though it's an MMO) - I think it's just as appropriate as keeping it here.  Certainly doesn't matter to me.

LD

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: