http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 03:10:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons Online - whats the take?  (Read 968 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2008, 04:46:23 PM »

So, I played D&D online a year ago, and didnt really like it - I know, that they added a lot of things to make it more solo friendly, which was my gripe the last time, and I couldnt really tell whether I liked the graphics or not.

Its a game no-one really takes about, but its still getting rather massive updates as I can see

Anyone know the state of the game, and what kind of MMO it is these days?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »

I played the trial again a few months ago and thought it was decent, but it still felt the same way it did when I played my first trial a little after it came out.  I though about picking up the full version until I heard there's very little solo play after the 2nd or 3rd level.  of course, since it takes forever to actually level up there's probably a nice bit of solo play, but the way that each level had so many 'sub levels' made it feel like it was taking forever.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 05:18:26 PM »

Sounds like they never really understood what makes MMO's fun for a long term investment from players.

The carrot dangling in front of us needs to be bitten into every now and then or we take our ball and go play somewhere else..

It's what made WoW such a resounding success.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:22:02 AM »

Thanks for the info guys ,I think I'll stay clear of this then, too bad...love D&D...

A new one
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 06:00:10 PM »

I started playing the game a few months back with two other friends.  I don't think it's a good solo game at all, the interface and character building is a little confusing -- but if you have a group of friends to play the game with it's a lot of fun.  I enjoy actually doing story driven quests with my friends as opposed to just helping them complete kill quests a little faster. 

I enjoy the more active combat and the fact that I don't spend half my game time traveling to places.  However, it does take forever to level and it's just not as addictive as most MMOs.  For me this is almost a good thing as I was just looking for a game to play with my friends a few times a week, but I can see why the game hasn't had the same appeal to MMO players as WOW and LOTRO.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 12:09:58 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 26, 2008, 04:46:23 PM

So, I played D&D online a year ago, and didnt really like it - I know, that they added a lot of things to make it more solo friendly, which was my gripe the last time, and I couldnt really tell whether I liked the graphics or not.

Its a game no-one really takes about, but its still getting rather massive updates as I can see

Anyone know the state of the game, and what kind of MMO it is these days?

I enjoyed the psuedo real time aspect of the combat, the cool dungeons(the first time through) and the DnD munchanism.  I did not enjoy the lack of content, lack of solo play,and lack of secondary objectives aside from running the instanced zones over and over again.  I went back for a free trail again a few months ago and was less than impressed with the graphics and interface which have not aged well.  Why they did not add more classes after release is beyond me.  A monk and a druid class would have been a big draw as would have been a few wide open non-instanced zones i.e., a countryside.  NWNO ftw.

This is evidently a game that did so poorly that they kept the bare minimum of people on it to keep it running which means no real chance to attract enough customers to grow or at least offset losses.
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 03:27:27 PM »

To be fair, the monk class is coming soon -- I think.  I really think the 10 level limit at release hurt the game, as they almost had to make leveling painfully slow.  They really needed to add more benefits to moving up to the next rank, but I suppose it would have been difficult to do this and stay true to D&D.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:14:40 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on April 29, 2008, 03:27:27 PM

To be fair, the monk class is coming soon -- I think.  I really think the 10 level limit at release hurt the game, as they almost had to make leveling painfully slow.  They really needed to add more benefits to moving up to the next rank, but I suppose it would have been difficult to do this and stay true to D&D.

Didn't they say coming soon on the Monk months (years?) ago? That was one of the big turn-offs to me (along with the inability to solo anywhere in the game) - why weren't all the classes in the game?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: