http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:22:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons Online NDA lifted  (Read 5802 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2006, 10:35:13 PM »

I just got an email from Turbine saying that they lifted the NDA.  So we are free to talk about DDO.  I'll start off by saying that I won't be buying this game if it ships on February 28th like they say it is in the current state.  There are numerous bugs and stability issues.  The whole time testing, I wanted to play NWN much more so.

Not all of my experiences with DDO are bad, but it would take a lot of fixing before I buy this game.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 11:13:44 PM »

I got to play for all of about an hour.  I'll need more hands-on time or its gonna be a pass for me.  And no, I'm not pre-ordering just to get my hands on it. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 11:45:40 PM »

All sources I've read are basically in agreement that this game is one sloppy piece of crap in its current state.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 12:43:54 AM »

Well I have'nt gotten my email about the NDA yet but the news sites are saying its so so guess ill spill my thoughts.

Its not ready for release. Let me back up. Ive been playing the beta for about 5 months I think it is. Ive seen improvements and anti improvements made. Its not feature rich and its also pretty dang buggy. Let me try and break it down.

Graphics:

Sometimes they will amaze you. Thats sometimes and it also means the outdoor areas only. Your main play time..where you get your exp and loot from..is all indoors in dungeoens. Least for my highest character which is lvl 5. I dont know of any outdoor runs except 1 so far which I played many months back and not since. The rest is all pretty bland and basic.

The other day I was just asking if this is'nt the Asheron's Call engine because a lot of the stuff reminded me of it. Take the magical effects on weapons. Lets say you find a sword that has fire or frost damage. Theres no particle effects for that stuff. Theres a simple texture added to it that is animated...flat animated. It follows the shape of the sword's blade. Kinda like the old DOOM moving animations. Why they can have mages casting a fire spell that looks really good with animated flames sticking to mobs and not be able to do that to a weapon I dont know.And if you're a bow user you dont even get that animation.

Arrows stick in walls and barrels and stuff...cool..until you look at them from the side where they are about 6" from actually touching the surface of what they stuck in.

Sound:

Minimal for the most part. Some grunts, some yelps. The one stand out to this is the music in the taverns. I could buy a cd of all the different tavern musics. I go into a tavern and just stand around listening to the music a lot of times. I guess Ill admit to the breakables like barrels and boards sounds pretty good too.

Performance:

For the most part it runs pretty dang good. But it should with all the stuff I mentioned about the old engine. There is sometimes very long and unusual loads times with no clear reason as to why. One time you'll exit a tavern and be out in 5 seconds, the next it may take over a minute. Also theres some issues lately with sound lagging behind and sometimes just going away altogether.

Bugs:

Ill list a few that really annoy me here. Ive already mentioned the loading problems. Theres also voice chat in the game..well supposed to be. To get mine to work I have to shove the mic into my mouth and speak really loud. Too loud to be useful. I have no problems in other games with voice chat. Recently the chat server barfed. You could only talk to people standing near you or send a tell. The party chat would no work. It basically made playing impossible because this game is not a solo player game. More on that below. So if you did finally get a few people together for a party run then it would take another hour to actually start the quest. Half of your party would show up at the door to the quest but the other half would not be seen so it'd take time to find them and get them there if ever..oh what a mess.

The other day there was a nice bug where when you became a ghost it spawned you in town as a ghost. It should spawn you in a tavern and res you. But stuck in town theres no way to enter doors and no shrines. And clerics dont get res till 10th lvl! You heard me right? Clerics can only res once they get to the highest and last lvl in the game.

Extra junk:

Let me just say overall this game is not impressive. Dont doubt that it can have it's fun moments. Ive enjoyed playing in spurts lately. But this is not something I will purchase. And of course a lot of my objections may just be personal ones for me and others might be just my opposite with DnDO.

Its not done. Id guess it needs 6 months of work yet. Bugs, unfinished stuff, and lack of content are my biggest gripes. Theres just not a lot to do yet.

Its all indoors. Its like a poor man's Guild Wars. Granted I dont own GW but I played the beta weekends. Its just like that but all the instances are dungeons.

Its anti solo. The really only quests you can do solo are the first 4. After that its group or nothing. I can only bear to play an hour at most in one sitting. It just gets repeditive and boring.

Theres only 10 lvls for characters. Each lvl has 4 sub lvls. Each of those subs gets you 1 action point to spend on feats..things like extra turn undead or +1 all saves..that kinda stuff. Each main lvl lets you get better feats to choose from. It also lets you SOMETIMES pick a new spell and add points to skills.

Not a lot of character defferences. Theres basically caster and fighter with combonations of the two. Ranger is a ranged fighter, thief is a fighter who can undo traps, paladin is a fighter who can heal . If you've played one of the two types you've played them all.

Its all instanced. Load the tavern, load out to town, walk a few paces, load the dungeon, load back out, then laod the tavern to heal.

You have a set mana pool. It does not regen unless you are in a tavern or rest at a shrine. Shrines are in dungeons but there may only be 2 or 3 in the whole dungeon and you can use each only once.

Can only res once you reach 10th lvl..the last lvl of any character. lol.

Its yet more fantasy stuff.

Theres much more and I could go on but most of you wont care whats said. You'll have to try it for yourself. LIts not all bad. Ive had some fun in it. i play a bit every day and think about it when im not so it cant be all bad. I think what keeps me going is the loot. Will i get a cool looking shield or a new necklace or mabe some good armor..that kinda stuff.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 the best..at this point Id give DnDO a 5 or 6. Once it's ironed out and stuff added and other stuff changed it could be great. we'll see. I hope they dont release it for a few months at least.

At $15 a month theres no way I could recommend it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 02:08:01 AM »

I classify it as MMF..Mass Market Fantasy.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 02:20:41 AM »

Quote from: "namatoki"
I'll start off by saying that I won't be buying this game if it ships on February 28th like they say it is in the current state.  There are numerous bugs and stability issues.  The whole time testing, I wanted to play NWN much more so.

Not all of my experiences with DDO are bad, but it would take a lot of fixing before I buy this game.

So, Daehawk talked about his experiences with the beta. Care to talk about yours? I've been on the wall about this game for a while now, so I'm curious as to hear about everyone's thoughts.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 02:38:01 AM »

I actually thought it was fun, I recogonized alot of the feats and skills from D&D and thought combat was refreshing change to "stand and hack at each other/cast spells till someone dies" combat I've played in just about every other mmo. I already preordered think it'll be change of pace.

Ascendent
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 03:47:42 AM »

Destructor, I was going to post something, but I didn't get a chance until now.  Hehe...

Anyway, Daehawk hit some of the problems on the head, but I'll share my thoughts as well.

I got into the beta in November.  I didn't get to spend much time at first since my finals were coming up.  After finals, I really spent a lot of time with the game.  I have a lvl 7 wizard, lvl 4 fighter and lvl 2 cleric.

I agree with Daehawk on the graphics.  At times, they are very good.  I run the game at 1920x1200 (I think that's the resulotion) on my 24" Dell widescreen monitor.  The spell effects are for the most part interesting.  However, some spells are still missing graphics such as Ice Storm.  I was extremely disappointed with the graphics of the weapons as well.  WoW's weapons are much prettier than DDO's weapons.

There are a few outdoor missions that you can do at lvl 4 and 5.  Redwillow is a lvl 7 quest that you can enter at lvl 5 (or have a lvl 5 player open the quest for you).  You face trolls and giants.  I do like the monster models.  They are pretty spot on with how I envision D&D monsters to be.  The beholder is pretty cool as well.

The music in the taverns are very fantasy sounding, but I didn't like them all that much.  They are catchy tunes though.  It is very satisfying to break a barrel and hear the clink of gems hit the ground. smile

Like I said, I run the game at 1920x1200 and I have a P4 2.4 GHz with 1 GB RAM and the GeForce 6800 GT.  It runs pretty smooth with most of the graphics settings turned up.  There are definately problems with loading from one area to another.  Sometimes, the server will hiccup and you will be stuck in the zone.  It may take several tries before you can load a new zone or you might have to relog to get it to work.  Also, there was a terrible ghost bug.  When you die (in D&D, you die at -10 hps), you have the option of releasing thus taking you to a tavern where you are ressed at 1 hp.  Sometimes, instead of ressing, you return as a ghost.  At this point, some have gotten lucky and been able to release again back to 1 hp.  But others have been stuck as ghosts for days at a time until a lvl 9 or higher cleric logs to cast raise dead on you.  Terrible bug.  :evil:

I think the level cap is too low.  Level 10 characters should not be going after dragons and beholders (btw, the quest to slay the behold was done with a group of lvl 5s).  Epic level characters in D&D are lvl 20, so a cap of lvl 15 would have made more sense.  As Daehawk mentioned, there are ranks at which you are granted an action point, and at that point you spend that AP on an enhancement.  However, you are limited to 4 enhancements at any given time so exchange one enhancement for another.  The problem is, most of the time after lvl 4, there is nothing to spend the APs on.  Gaining those APs seem useless.

Basically, the game becomes very repetative after lvl 5.  You will run the same quests over and over again to gain xp.  And the problem is, once you have done the same quest three times, you start to accrue xp penalty.

If you are used to NWN, you will find DDO to be a bit more loose on the rules.  Spellcasters get spell points instead of set spell slots.  Wizards are limited to a certain number of spells prepared per level, but you can cast them until you run out of spell points.  As Daehawk stated, spell points cannot be regained until you hit a rest shrine or tavern.

Spell levels follow the D&D ruleset.  Wizards get lvl 2 spells at lvl 3, lvl 3 spells at lvl 5, etc.  I believe clerics follow this progression while sorcerors may lag a level behind.

Again as Daehawk said, the loot is what keeps the game interesting.  However, the loot has been nerfed, so it is not as good as it used to be.  You won't find any decent stuff until level 5.

All in all, DDO is pretty disappointing.  I'm hoping NWN2 gives me the D&D fix I need.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that some of the quests are soloable; however, you need to be the right class and play very carefully.  There are some quests that are extremely difficult to do without a rogue to disable traps and unlock doors.  You also miss out on some bonus xp and loot as well.  Clerics make the best solo class especially if you create them to be dual classed as fighter/cleric.  One level of fighter is all you really need and you can still get to lvl 9 cleric for raise dead and the other lvl 5 spells.

There is one quest called Scoundrel's Run that is soloable by a wizard although 2 wizards can do that quest very quickly and get a ton of xp even with the max xp penalty for repeating too many times (which is -90%).
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 05:05:42 AM »

After getting so much positive feedback from our Beta players, we felt it was time to let you share your opinions and praise for DDO with the rest of the MMOG community.

Thats a quote from my email. Im really curious who they got thier info from. From all Ive seen 9 outta 10 say its not good.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 05:14:39 AM »

Quote from: "namatoki"
All in all, DDO is pretty disappointing.  I'm hoping NWN2 gives me the D&D fix I need.
Mmm, same here.  Fortunately NWN2 looks like it's really shaping up to be something worth purchasing.

I'm hyper-disappointed in what DDO turned out to be.  It sounds like a shitty Guild Wars.  Which means it's shitty shit.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 06:19:56 AM »

Everything I have read indicates this game just isn't very good-it will be interesting to hear more beta impressions.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 06:47:40 PM »

Adding a bug.....if you change your armor at all from the noobie one you start with then from now on your paper doll avatar in the login screen with be naked except for his/her underwear.

Phydeaux
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 09:09:51 AM »

Odd. I thought this was one of the singularly most impressive MMOs I'd played to date.

It's not about grinding, or levels, or loot. It's about hanging onto a dungeon by your fingernails. I played in a 7 day stress test, a 10 day beta, and a 3 day preview so far. I've found that the game is really wonderful as long as you group with adults and don't race your way to level 10. It's Turbine, so I expect the new quests will come at a fairly rapid pace like they did with AC.

The other issue is that unlike most MMOs, nothing regens in this game. Standing around will not help you gain back spell points or hit points. This means there's no downtime and that you survive based on what you have, not how long you're willing to stand around. As far as repeating a quest goes, I had little problems with this. I always played in terrific groups, and we always played dungeons at difficulties beyond what we should've been doing. Sometimes we failed, but the times we succeeded... wow. We felt pretty cool. smile
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 11:05:08 AM »

You just stated the keys to whether or not you will feel this is a game for you.

Visually the game is pretty good, but I wouldn't call it cutting edge.

Sound effects are half decent, but they have a dull feeling to them. The sounds could be more crisp and clear. This would help define them.

Solo content -- Well none, this is D&D. Outside of the initial few quests you have to group. Typically games do not do well in the US over the long haul when they force grouping. So, if you have a dedicated group of "adult" type gamers that you could consistently group with you would be good to go, otherwise pass on it.

Here are the key words to that. Group and consistent. Most people that have outside lives (you know work, home, spouse, etc.) have to maximize their gaming time. If you have to spend a portion of that waiting to get in a decent group then you will probably quit playing within a month.

The quests in D&D however are some of the best I have seen. They take strategy, teamwork, and good decision making. Typically you can not just bash your way through it. The dungeons are designed with the thought of barely making it through if you have the right group and strategies.

Hopefully the towns will come more to life in the release because all through beta they were filled with people that wouldn't talk and spam spells on you.

Also keep in mind that this game is heavily based on D&D whereas most RPGs are loosely or moderately based on D&D rules.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 01:49:22 PM »

Here's a question - how small of a group could you get away with later on? 2? 3? 6?

D&D has been aimed at the small group (4 people) section, as that covers all the bases (Pally/Fighter, Rogue, Wizard/Sorc, Cleric). Will you need much more than that in order to keep going at higher levels? Yeah, I realize you won't be able to tackle some of the end-game 'raid' stuff (unless it starts to scale with how many you have in your group), but how far can you go with a small group?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 04:20:53 PM »

There was at least one mission you could take that dealt with some sort of attack and the recommended size for it was 12.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 05:59:56 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Here's a question - how small of a group could you get away with later on? 2? 3? 6?

D&D has been aimed at the small group (4 people) section, as that covers all the bases (Pally/Fighter, Rogue, Wizard/Sorc, Cleric). Will you need much more than that in order to keep going at higher levels? Yeah, I realize you won't be able to tackle some of the end-game 'raid' stuff (unless it starts to scale with how many you have in your group), but how far can you go with a small group?

According to my experience, there are quite a few quests that can be done solo by a cleric.  Clerics are pretty much the best class to do stuff in D&DO.  As long as you have a cleric, you can solo and duo many quests.  The max party size is six and raids can be formed with two groups.

Keep in mind that every quest has a level for it.  So if you want to do quests that are two or more levels above your average party level, you'll need at least five people to complete it.  If you have a good mix of classes, i.e. a fighter, a cleric, a wizard, a rogue, you can pretty much do any quest.

Hope that helps.
Phydeaux
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 06:46:24 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

This is just like D&D in that respect. The missions are aimed at a party of 4, though you can have as many as six people. So when a mission is rated CR3, they mean it's balanced for four level 3 characters.

As far as getting a good group, I rarely had to wait more than 5 minutes. All I did was type "Adults please." into the comments session of the group matchmaker UI, push "Looking for a party" and I usually couldn't even make it to the shopping tent before I was in a (usually good) group. This is with a multitude of character classes, not just the stereotypically 'desirable' ones. Also, I really came away with the impression that no oarticular class is needed. Clerics didn't seem overpowered to me at all.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 07:07:24 PM »

I played a Cleric, and initially you are correct, but even soloing with a Cleric is only do-able since the latest patches into part of level 1.

You can get away with smaller groups but it depends on the quest. Raids do require larger groups, but the quest info screen will tell you that.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 07:26:13 PM »

I know what I'll be playing when it comes out human barbarian. The extra feat at level 1 is to good to pass up plus you can really min/max your barb who needs wisdom/intelligence/charisma for anyways slywink

Ascendent
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2006, 08:39:10 PM »

Well, you need wisdom to make your will saving throws against a lot of spells, for one thing.  slywink  Even the most powerful barbarian can get stuck with a "Hold Person" spell if they fail their will save!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 10:36:09 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Well, you need wisdom to make your will saving throws against a lot of spells, for one thing.  slywink  Even the most powerful barbarian can get stuck with a "Hold Person" spell if they fail their will save!

That'd be where the Wizards in the group point and laugh. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 11:55:46 PM »

Indomitable Will (Ex): While in a rage, a barbarian of 14th level or higher gains a +4 bonus on Will saves to resist enchantment spells. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Will saves he also receives during his rage.

Hah! Only 14 levels and I'll be all set! To bad the game only goes to 10 *shrugs*

Ascendent
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2006, 12:43:19 AM »

Seriously, I think the game should go to lvl 15, but I guess that's what the expansion is for.  I don't think it should be possible for a bunch of lvl 10's to kill dragons, but that's one of the end game quests.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2006, 01:24:45 AM »

This was my Cleric build

STR 14
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 10

I took the Great Axe feat initially, and it made this Dwarf Cleric a pretty decent offensive machine without sacrificing too much healing ability. I lost a few turn undead, but oh well.

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2006, 04:56:24 PM »

The recent feedback (last few days) have been most encouraging. Especially from this group. That keeps up and Farscry will not have any trouble talking me into buying this one. Maybe the GT forums can put together it's own guild by launch slywink

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2006, 06:46:04 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
This was my Cleric build

STR 14
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 10

I took the Great Axe feat initially, and it made this Dwarf Cleric a pretty decent offensive machine without sacrificing too much healing ability. I lost a few turn undead, but oh well.

That's a pretty solid cleric build that can do great solo.  For my cleric, I sacrificed some str and con for cha which gave me more turns.  For those that haven't played, clerics can get enhancements that can heal spell points or heal players by using turns.  This is what I went with for my cleric:

STR 12
DEX 10
CON 12
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 14

With my enhancements, I have 7 turns.  I can keep other clerics' sp up for a while so they can save shrines for later.  Or I can keep wizards going longer as well.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2006, 08:19:40 PM »

Quote from: "fyedaddy"
The recent feedback (last few days) have been most encouraging. Especially from this group. That keeps up and Farscry will not have any trouble talking me into buying this one. Maybe the GT forums can put together it's own guild by launch slywink

Yup; I thoroughly enjoyed my beta experience, and unlike Lord Ebonstone, I think that DDO looks like Guild Wars done right (basically, what I had hoped, and failed, to get out of Guild Wars).

I especially like that with the quest structure, you can play all evening, or just for enough time to run a quest or two, without all the running across the world that you get in most mmo's, which makes it much more approachable for someone with limited online time.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006, 09:30:49 PM »

Have they changed something about the game, or is this some kind of selective hearing?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2006, 10:15:49 PM »

Got me. I wont be getting it. Glad I got to be in the beta and have a little bit of fun but the bad outweighs the good by a fair margin.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2006, 12:53:59 AM »

I just think that DnD doesn't work in a traditional MMORPG setting. It's designed to work great with games like NWN, but it really asks for a change of thought from the usual MMO crowd, and that may be why we hear people hating it.

I never thought DnD was about levelling up, I always felt it was about A: Playing with 4 or 5 friends and enjoying an adventure/tale and B: Finding some cool relics or discovering some lost ruins etc. and C: enjoying some of the best gameworlds ever created.

If I could play DnDO and discover a lot of the gameworld without have to poerlevel etc. I would find that enjoyable.

As for someone who said a bunch of level 5's beat a Beholder, Um, think back to even Baldur's Gate, you could whoop nearly anything with a full group of 5's.

I'd like to hear more of how it fares as a DnD game and not a MMO

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2006, 09:21:36 AM »

Well, Tebunker, D&DO isn't much of a gameworld so far.  There's not that many quests to do, especially at the higher levels, so you'll find yourself repeating a lot of the quests to gain xp.  Turbine even put in a difficulty selector, so once you finish a quest on normal, you can go back and do it on hard and then on elite.  If you did every quest three times (once on each difficulty), you might hit max level.  I know that you couldn't hit max level but they just recently upped xp a bit.

I'm sure expansions are planned, but so far, Stormreach is pretty shallow at the moment.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2006, 07:59:48 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Have they changed something about the game, or is this some kind of selective hearing?

While there were (and will continue to be) initial negative posts about the game, some recent feedback has been positive and appeals to me. Especially the posts that focus on mature groups.

--Devil
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2006, 08:00:50 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

While there were (and will continue to be) initial negative posts about the game, some recent feedback has been positive and appeals to me. Especially the posts that focus on mature groups.
You could have just said it was the latter.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2006, 07:25:22 PM »

I go into the game from the "Two Hour Billing Stress" event.  Here is what I thought of the game:

This game will not compete with World of Warcraft, or any of the other fee-based MMORPGs out there.  It is a different game.  I could possibly see it competing with Guild Wars, but even then it will lose because there is no monthly fee for Guild Wars.

Character creation was exactly what you would expect from a D&D game.  All the stats, skills, and feats.  Character customization is what you would expect from an MMORPG.

The beginning area felt more like being in a room with jungle textures on the walls and blue sky instead of a ceiling.  There were people all around, but I was never able to talk to a single person.  The chat may be bugged.  Along the buildings, there were doors with big blue arrows over them.   Every room you go into is a separate "zone", and you get a 1-3 second loading screen when you go inside or outside.

Once I got into the tavern, there were tons of people in there.  I was directed in the game how to find other people to group with, and brought up the "Looking for Group" interface, where people can post a little blurb on what quest they want to do, and who they are looking for.  It felt like the "game match" interfaces you get in online FPS games like Battlefield, Unreal Tournament, etc....  Only here each selection is a person asking for others, instead of a server to join.

I went up to an NPC with a big blue arrow over her head, and received my first quest, which was a training quest to find five gems.  I was directed to a door, and loaded up the instance for my quest.

I was the only one in there, and as I walked into the room, I had a voice over with text on my screen say:  ""Your eyes are drawn to a sealed door in front of you and to the left".  This is the Dungeon Master in the game.  He exists for every instance you go into, describing what you see and what is currently happening to you.

There was an experience report screen, which told what I had currently accomplished and how much xp I was going to get for the instance.

Gameplay feels like a Tomb Raider-style platform game.  You can jump onto crates, or hang from a ledge and pull yourself up.  I went into a room with crates stacked up, and was able to climb up to find a hidden chest, which had some healing potions and other items in it.

There were breakable vases and crates in the room, which could possibly hold items or gold in them.  You also get a bit of a 'bonus' xp for breaking stuff in the instance.

After I found the five gems, I completed the instance, and was teleported back into the tavern.  Then I was told to go to a vendor to buy stuff, and talk to other NPCs for jobs to do.

I found an NPC that explained death in the game.  If you die in an instance, you drop a soul gem.  Your choices to come back are to have a party member ressurect you, insta-res out of the instance back in town, or have a party member pick up your soul gem and carry it to a ressurection shrine.

Would I play this?  No.  I'm not interested in an FPS / platform MMORPG.  That is what this is.  I would possibly play it if it were to adopt the same plan as Guild Wars, where it does not have a monthly fee.  It is heavily instanced, and you meet up with people through a group interface to do quests.  One reason I play MMORPGs is to be in a world with the other people at the same time.  Not in a central town where people are picking up quests to do, and then splitting off into instances with a couple of other people.

There are probably other "locations" to go to and receive quests, get training, etc...  But from what I've seen so far, there is no "open space" where you roam about, performing tasks and interacting with other people.

Pass for me.
solarisgax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2006, 04:11:46 PM »

sounds like you were in the newbie area... did you make it into the actual game?

anyhow, DDO is not a normal MMO - it doesn't feel it;

it is not your normal Pen and Paper D&D game... but it actually feels pretty close to it;

NWN wasn't bad but didn't give me the thrill of P&P D&D - risk was just not there...  character attachment? nope...

DDO has some of that.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2006, 04:20:08 PM »

I was in the beginning area of the game.  I said that in my post.

Does the style of the game change when you move on?  Are you in large areas doing quests with other people at the same time?

Nope, you're still going to be spending your time inside instances for every quest you do, and it's still going to be a platform-style game play when you're doing them.

It's Guild Wars with no PvP and a monthly fee.  Mixed with real-time FPS combat.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2006, 05:09:34 PM »

Quote from: "MaxSteele"
Does the style of the game change when you move on?  Are you in large areas doing quests with other people at the same time?

Nope, you're still going to be spending your time inside instances for every quest you do, and it's still going to be a platform-style game play when you're doing them.

You better believe the game changes (well, slightly). For starters, short of the starting area, you're grouping all the time. Short of a very small list of classes (Rogue, and even then not for long), you have to be in a group to get through the adventures.

So in the end, you're in an adventure area (just you and your party) consisting anywhere from 3 to 6 players. There's 'raid' support for I think up to 12 players (but don't quote me on that) for 'end game' content (of which hasn't been talked about much).

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2006, 08:57:26 PM »

So, you're going to be spending all your time in an instance with several other people, and it's still going to be a platform-style game play when you're doing them....

Sounds like the only thing that changes is you'll have a couple of others in the instance with you.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2006, 04:52:14 PM »

Anyone change their minds on this one with the launch right around the corner? Anyone here closer to picking it up?

--Devil
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: