http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:46:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does WoW have combat lock like EQ II?  (Read 1738 times)
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2004, 01:34:16 AM »

Just was curious if WoW had this as well. I kind of enjoy this in EQ II do to I do not want to be hacking away at a monster and then have someone run up and hit the creature with one hit and get the xp for it.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 01:38:26 AM »

No, but only the first person to hit something gets exp/loot from it so the only reason to attack what someone else is fighting is to help them. I don't know if there is anything to stop a level 1 from hitting a level 60 mob 1 time and then having their level 60 friend kill it, but i don't think so.
Koz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 01:38:57 AM »

Yep, it has it. If you start the fight, you get the exp and items no matter who ends up actually killing it.
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 01:45:50 AM »

Great...thanks  biggrin

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 02:06:09 AM »

From what i understand if a high level does a significant amount of damage to the creature after you have damaged, or "tapped" it, your exps are reduced and its possible you will get none.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 02:12:35 AM »

You can hit other peoples kills to gain some skill in your weapon. I send me pet to attack what people are fighting.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 12:27:16 PM »

I think people are happy to have you hit on their draw.  In fact once I found a level 10 or so pulling level 20's in the area, hoping that I wouldn't notice that the monster was labeled grey (tagged by someone else) and take it on and allow him to run away safer and with a truckload of experience.

I was smart.  The alligator chased him down and the result wasn't very pretty.

It was like that time in Stress Test that a lone Tauren player tried to used our group as a distraction for these slithid swarmers so he could grab their eggs (which we were doing ourselves).  We just sat there a little longer and he ran into some slithids and died as he was overwhelmed.  We then resumed egghunting, minus the leecher.

The combat lock/tagging system is great in WoW.  Kill stealing doesn't exist, you can leave creeps that are grey (tagged by someone else) go attack someone else and take them after they turn red again.
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 02:34:52 PM »

obb, using other players/groups as distractions while doing "collect from mob camp" quests is like an artform.  How do you think I completed the Dead-Tooth Jack quest at level 11?  Heh.
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 05:12:06 PM »

Oh I totally agree, there is an art to it.  But there's an art to killing the person taking advantage of you as well.  

If it's a mob which respawns every 5 minutes... meh, I don't mind and there's nothing I can do.  If it's a egg thing that everyone in a 5 person group needs 6 of and it's somewhat hard to get them all with all the monsters about... well you can basically doom the poor guy running with you by pulling back and leaving him high and dry for Slithid Swarmers to take down.

Course grouping's not the best idea for those quests in the first place but at our level, it was a lot easier (as the death of the Tauren demonstrated).  I came back to that place later as an older wiser warrior and kicked butt on my own for a timed Tauren Warrior quest.

And I remember when my priest beat that pig, Princess, or whatever he name was.  Some other group of players pulled her entourage while I pulled princess and killed her by myself.

Good times good times.  Can't wait for retail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: