http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 10:24:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DDO Turns Two  (Read 1094 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2008, 04:37:44 AM »

Yeah, I can't believe it either - I just got an e-mail in my box (x3, oddly enough - all at different times of the day) saying that DDO is turning 2 next week, and as a result everybody is automagically resubbed for a week starting May 5th or something.

So, for those of you who are still playing, I have a few questions:

1) How's the 'smaller than a 4 man group' content? Or does the game still 'highly recommend' you have 4 people in your party as a bare minimum (as the 3rd Edition Rules pretty much recommend themselves)?

2) Did the devs stop screwing you over once you hit 5th level and how you were absolutely and utterly required to have a Cleric in your party with the Restoration spell (or whatever it was that cured the MASSIVE debuffs you'd get that were permanent until dispelled)?

3) Any solo ability in the game? When I left, they'd just converted the first 2 levels or so to solo content, but it was still forced grouping from there on out.

4) Did they put Druids into the game yet? Or Monks?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:18:08 AM »

I am wondering about the solo ability in the game also. I almost never play them with other players online.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 10:21:15 PM »

I'm reminded of Jack Emmert's (Cryptic) GDC comment that "you are what you are at launch" in MMOs. I think he basically meant the "fans' perception" of your mmorpg will always be based on what the game was at launch. No amount of glomming on updates and new features and hype will ever really change it. Me thinks too many MMOs launch with the idea "we'll add the stuff people really want after launch," and often by that time people have already had their free month and made up their minds.

So if your game has no soloing at all at launch (DDO), adding it in belatedly will never really change the perception enough to win back most of the people who were turned off by the absence. Or in COH's case, no PVP at launch meant no matter how much time they spent adding it in later they never really won people over to that (you only have to see how deserted and unused the majority of the PVP arenas and zones are to recognize that there). NCSoft is still (imho) spending an inordinate amount of time trying to get people excited about PvP in it, and Emmert made the point it would never reach the pvp popularity of MMOs that had a robust PVP to begin with (say WoW, or even the Lineage games).

I can't really explain it, but I enjoyed the combat in LOTORO but not at all in the trial version of DDO (supposedly LOTORO is an enhanced version of DDO's engine, but I'm not sure  icon_confused) I tried earlier on. While I really do enjoy teams and pickup teams, forcing it as the game initially did just isn't reasonable unless they provide some AI-controlled options for when servers are quiet. That's one reason I had high hopes for Gods & Heroes -- it seemed like the AI squads would help provide a group feel even when you couldn't find any.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:26:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 11:00:35 PM »

Still no Druids.
Still no Monks.

It does get a bit dicey playing without a cleric past lv 4.
Not a solo-able game in any shape or form.

I play it because I am in love with the D&D world and rules in general.

In celebration of the event, you receive cake.
Yes cake.
Magical cake.
Which summons a djinn of deliciousness.
And grants you a wish.

I kid you not.

Only in D&DO.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:02:11 PM by Mikagami » Logged

Gonna eat your face
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 12:03:01 AM »

I played it off and on about a year ago for 3 months on the Salornis server. From what I recall a lot of the solo content was Turbine adding a solo mode for many pre-existing missions. I remember playing them all the way up to level 8 and they worked out well. Of course I was a Dwarven Cleric, thus soloing wasn't much of a problem. I also remember them adding some really excellent outdoor mission areas that unfortunately my alt was a bit too high in level to enjoy some and not high enough to enjoy others.

In regards to people's impressions about MMO's being locked into their initial experience, I think the reference to WoW defeats the argument. Almost all of the people I know who play it rant about the Realm vs Realm gameplay and that wasn't even in the initial game. In fact Blizzard blatantly scooped many of their RvR gameplay ideas from DAoC.

I'll probably resub in May just to check things out. Like Mikagami I really like D&D/D20 based games and I haven't found any other MMO's with a fantasy setting that has as deep a character customization system as D&DO.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 12:09:23 AM by kronovan » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:31:18 AM »

Wow 2 years. Hardly seems like one. I was in beta but didn't buy it. I remember one day in the beta I was at the tavern and DnDRadio  people were on talking about their internet stationand giving out goodies. I got to talking with the DJ on the air at the time as he could interact with us while music played. He sounded exactly like Carl Sagan. It was uncanny I tell ya. He gave me a magic flaming bow to use. I had to save it for 10 or more lvls to use it but it was great and great fun. I loved DnD radio since then till they shut down. I still miss that station. Best net station ever.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 12:39:12 AM »

Ahh neat!
I did not know that they added a solo version of all the missions past the docks.

Well this is gonna be rather fun.

Gonna eat your face
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 01:45:29 AM »

Quote from: Mikagami on March 03, 2008, 11:00:35 PM

Still no Druids.
Still no Monks.

Why the heck not? I can sorta understand Druids (imagine the horrors of trying to balance shapeshifting), but Monks are just light fighters with a few other powers. It shouldn't be that hard.

And I liked DDO when it first came out, but it was missing...something. I loved D&D, but there was just something that didn't click as far as the game went. I might have to pop back on with the free week and such to see how it is nowadays.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 05:11:38 AM »

I've been playing the 10 day trial and I'm not sure if I'll continue after it expires.  I like the feel of the combat but I'm not a big fan of taking forever to truly level.  Also, the news of poor solo support kind of leaves me cold.

I also grabbed the LotRO trial at the same time, and thanks to a great deal on the game (9.99 download) I'll be playing that one for a bit instead.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: