http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 12:57:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DDO - I'm done with WoW  (Read 5141 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:00:43 PM »

You heard me right...I've cancelled my WoW account.  Thus far I am enjoying the heck out of DDO.  I've got a few friends that are into the adventuring portion of the game instead of running through and min/maxing the game.  I have to say that the difficulty level is right in line with the PnP game and I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of my free month pans out.  So far, this seems to be the game that people with little time can play.  You don't have to worry about Chinese gold farmers destroying the economy.  You don't have to worry about PvP (which could be a detractor for some of you).  I'll keep you posted - review after my free month is up.

If you are interested, I'm on the Kyber server (or whatever the K one is).

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 07:31:25 PM »

Between you and the commercial running on TV, my willpower is rapidly fading...only held by the fact that I can't buy a game right now. smile  That's sweet sounding.  Can't wait to see your review.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 08:02:25 PM »

Wow... And here DDO is the first MMO I've ever quit on in the first month of play.

I love the whole transference of the Pen and Paper game to MMO, but there are SO many little bugs and issues that are utterly broken in comparison to the PnP game, I refuse to give Turbine any more of my cash.

Three big issues I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Kobald Sorcersors (however the heck you spell it). They're everywhere in the first set of missions (that are all rated CR1 to 2). On Hard difficulty, these critters are capable of casting Curse and Blind forever (as they have unlimited mana) and the only way to stop the chain casting is to kill them (as they always make their Concentration checks).

On Hard, these mobs are showing up in a CR2 dungeon. Which means that 4 level 2s should be able to kill them. You can do so, but you'll pretty much always be cursed. And what level is curse? As a Sorc, you need to be level EIGHT to do so. So you're fighting level 8 mobs in a level 2 dungeon. Yeah, that's balanced, especially since you keep the curse after DEATH.

2) Dungeons are always the same. Always. Never a slight difference in what mobs you'll find. Never a slight difference in where the traps are. The treasure chests. Your objective. Nothing.

And considering that you'll be forced to repeat dungeons on 'harder' difficulty levels, you'll very quickly get bored with what tiny content this game has. The lead dev says this is for gamers to 'perfect' their dungeon skills, but all it does is have groups charge right through the content they've done a dozen times.

3) As stated above, the utter lack of content. You'll be doing the same thing over and over and over again, just to hit 10. And then you're done (until Turbine releases new content). And yes, I just saw the PR piece this morning about new stuff being released. It still isn't enough. The game can be 'beaten' in a week. And then what?

Overall, this is a great concept of a game, but there's not enough to do. And it doesn't follow closely enough to the PnP for fans to soak up.

Oh, and one last thing - soloing is a bitch. Only certain classes have any solo ability at all, and you'll be doing even more grinding to get anywhere in the game. And it's not fun in the slightest.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 08:23:16 PM »

Tell me how many times you've played D&D by yourself.  I'll wait...

As far as the curse goes, I agree with you there, but a cleric can fix it at level 5.   They expect that you'll keep going instead of playing the same dungeons over and over.  I played through a few more than once just to help others out, but I have yet to repeat a dungeon.  Keep moving forward and so does the adventure.  

What level were you when you quit?  If it wasn't 10 how can you make any comments on the amount of content?  There is a guy at work who plays nonstop and he has yet to run out of content.  

What doesn't follow the PnP rules?  From what I've seen it is almost 100%

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 08:31:21 PM »

I found it funny that clerics cant res till lvl 10..then whats the point? lol.

Im actually thinking of returning to WoW soon. Not played anything since I left cept EQ2 for a few months.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 08:45:26 PM »

OK... So I'm simplifying here, but I have read (on other forums) the argument that this game is "Too much like the real D&D to be fun as a computer MMO" and I have also read IN THE SAME THREADS that this game is "not even close to being real D&D to be taken seriously".

How in God's name can both these things be true?  I know next to nothing about the game myself, but was hoping someone might clear this up for me if you have a chance.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 08:57:28 PM »

What does DDO offer that a game like Guild Wars does not?

i.e. Why does it cost $15 a month when a similar type of game costs $0 per month?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 09:16:04 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
OK... So I'm simplifying here, but I have read (on other forums) the argument that this game is "Too much like the real D&D to be fun as a computer MMO" and I have also read IN THE SAME THREADS that this game is "not even close to being real D&D to be taken seriously".

How in God's name can both these things be true?  I know next to nothing about the game myself, but was hoping someone might clear this up for me if you have a chance.

For the former:

Weapon skills. You can only use X number of weapons (depending on race, class, and any feats you might have used to get more). Nothing more. And in this game, having skill in a crossbow doesn't allow you to use a repeating crossbow (even though the mechanism for fire is exactly the same). Yes, this is PnP rules, but it makes no sense in a more standard MMO setting.

If you have no idea how to play D&D, the game doesn't tell you ANYTHING. How much damage does Magic Missle do? You'll never find out. What exactly does this bonus do on your weapon/skill gain? Unless you've played D&D, some things make no sense at all (what exactly is a bonus to your Universal spells?).

There's a few other things, but basically this game is not for the D&D newbie.

For the latter:

Read my whole blurb above about what level mobs are and how they're overbalanced based on your level (about the whole Curse spell thing).

And as far as PnP goes, there's some nice formulas out there as to how many fights you should go through in order to level. How many fights you go through before your party is exhausted and must sleep. An 'average' of what your PC's 'net worth' should be at certain levels.

All of that is thrown out in DDO. Instead, it becomes a hack and slash game. Players (especially spell casters) must make split second decisions as to what they're going to do in battle (where in the PnP game, you have all day to take your turn). If a mob of mobs stops bunching up, your Wizard's Fireball spell is wasted.

Oh, and you get absolutely no experience (short of very small amounts in very limited areas) for killing mobs. Only for completing quests.

AI is a joke. As is pathfinding. Mobs commonly hear you through doors, and will throw their ranged weapons/spells (of which they have unlimited ammo and magic) at the closed door until you open it. Mobs will also bunch up at range, thus allowing your ranged damage dealers to rip up everybody until they close.

And don't even get me started on the whole breaking every box in sight thing. Everybody does it, as you get bonus experience at the end of every mission for doing so, and you get free items occasionally.

And as for content, Ron - my group of 4 gave up just short of level 5. We've done all the 'big' chain quests (Shan-ta-kor, Waterworks, etc) we could do, and we refused to do anything on Hard simply due to the insane Curse spell (as we didn't have a Cleric at 5 yet to cure that crap and didn't want to rely on waiting to find one, or buy a 900G potion). So, we'd run out of content short of redoing things for the third time. And yes, we were doing some level 6 (and rarely 7) quests without too many issues, as long as we avoided quests that had cursing jerks in it.

It's also a proven fact that you must redo content in order to hit 10. There's simply not enough quests in the game. And without the ability to 'grind' in an outdoor place somewhere (like in every other MMO out there), this forces you to redo the same thing over and over again.

I compare this to WoW - what if you were forced to run Van Cleef 6 times to level? And that there was absolutely no way to level otherwise? Yes, odds are you'd be bored to death after the third run.

And as far as the $15 a month goes... I have no idea why they charge a monthly fee for the game. It is exactly like Guild Wars (everything is instanced except for the towns, and even that is if there's too many players around), except in a D&D world.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Macman777
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 10:51:32 PM »

I to am enjoying this game. Also just found this out:

D&D Online Add-on [March 14, 2006, 10:50 am ET] - 23 Comments
Turbine Announces Dragon’s Vault Module for Hit DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE: Stormreach announces the first add-on module for Turbine's MMORPG:
March 14, 2006 - Turbine is pleased to announce the first module for DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINETM: StormreachTM (DDO). The Dragon's Vault module will provide players the opportunity to battle the dangerous Vault of Night that is protected by a ferocious guardian – the red dragon! This module, scheduled for release in April, is the first in a series of planned modules that will provide new content and features for DDO, the hit MMOG that launched February 28th and quickly became the fastest growing MMOG in North America.

The Dragon's Vault module contains 15 compelling dungeons and a new large-scale raid feature focusing on a vicious red dragon. The new dungeons provide a variety of additional content for players of all levels in the game. Turbine announced today that the Dragon's Vault module will be free of charge for all current DDO subscribers as a way to say "thank you" to all of its fans. Turbine also declared its plans to release additional modules over time that include new content, features, and other improvements to the hit MMOG.

Now Playing:

Xbox 360
The Elder Scrolls IV
GRAW
The Outfit
BF2: MC

Playstation 2
Kingdom Hearts 2

PC
DDO
BF 2
RO - Ostfront 41 - 45
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 06:27:50 PM »

I've got a lvl2 rogue named Gage on Khyber.  Not sure about the longevity of the game for me, but i was enjoying it quite a bit for a few days last week.  any chance you folks are gonna start a guild or something?  i could use a group of people to play with that don't rush through every quest simply for the xp.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 07:35:52 PM »

As for the van Cleef reference,  I  cant think of anytime I was forced to run a instance over and over again to level.  Maybe for a item, yes.  My pallie shield I wanted from SM, i ran about 8 times, and never got it.  Dont know how that happened, as i managed to get the rare drops for casters everytime, but not the pallie item.

Anyways.  There is always a quest line somewhere to do.  i cant hink of anytime, alliance or horde where I didnt have a quest line I could do.  I may have needed a partner for it, but there was something.

I really had high hoped for DDO, but i cant see anyting there to pull me away from WoW.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 05:37:08 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Go on and tell me the percentage of people who buy a PnP supplement and then actually use it in a group setting instead of reading it by themselves just for fun.  Go on, I'LL wait.

(I'd be shocked if it were more than 10%).
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 06:31:16 PM »

Quote from: "Shkspr"

Go on and tell me the percentage of people who buy a PnP supplement and then actually use it in a group setting instead of reading it by themselves just for fun.  Go on, I'LL wait.

(I'd be shocked if it were more than 10%).

i think you're confusing "PnP supplement" with "Novel"...  :wink:

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 10:33:27 PM »

Maybe I'm just a geek, but all the PnP books I've purchased since leaving high school were read purely for recreation, rather than for playing the game.
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 10:52:26 PM »

So far, this seems to be the game that people with little time can play.

My experience from beta is this isn't really the case. Sure the dungeons in the early levels are pretty straight forward and easily done in a short amount of time but as you raise them in difficulty the longer it takes.

Let's say you only have 2 hours to play and you're friends want to go into a dungeon that could take anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to complete. Do you play until you have to leave? Or just not play? Why would you just not play? Because you don't get xp until the damn quest is completed...

croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 01:20:46 PM »

As far as the curse goes, I agree with you there, but a cleric can fix it at level 5.   They expect that you'll keep going instead of playing the same dungeons over and over.  I played through a few more than once just to help others out, but I have yet to repeat a dungeon.  Keep moving forward and so does the adventure.  

What level were you when you quit?  If it wasn't 10 how can you make any comments on the amount of content?  There is a guy at work who plays nonstop and he has yet to run out of content.  

What doesn't follow the PnP rules?  From what I've seen it is almost 100%

I used to play AD&D all of the time by myself.  I used to use the Random Dungeon Generator in the back of the DMG to create dungeons on the fly as I ran 4-5 characters.  It was a "honest" way for me to level them up to a certain level range instead of just creating level xx characters and "giving" them magic items.

There were also Solo modules out there that you could buy.. so personally I am tired of the argument of "you could not play D&D solo" when anyone brings up the fact that it is about impossible to play DDO solo.  It is simple not true that you could not play AD&D by yourself.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 02:14:50 PM »

Quote from: "croman"
I used to play AD&D all of the time by myself.  I used to use the Random Dungeon Generator in the back of the DMG to create dungeons on the fly as I ran 4-5 characters.  It was a "honest" way for me to level them up to a certain level range instead of just creating level xx characters and "giving" them magic items.

There were also Solo modules out there that you could buy.. so personally I am tired of the argument of "you could not play D&D solo" when anyone brings up the fact that it is about impossible to play DDO solo.  It is simple not true that you could not play AD&D by yourself.

Well, sure, by that logic you can "play" AD&D by yourself, but you can also use that method to play virtually any board game by yourself, or even CCG's like Magic, or miniature wargames like Warhammer, D&D Mini's, or whatever.  Sure, all it takes is some inventiveness and you can play just about anything by yourself.

Are you saying they should change DDO to allow single players to be able to control full parties on their own?

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 05:29:17 PM »

Well, I've enjoyed DDO so far.  It's almost impossible to compare to other MMORPGs because it is so fundamentally different.  And, unlike some of the other posters here, I'd argue that it is also fundamentally different than Guild Wars (although this does not mean necessarily that it should be charging for online time when Guild Wars does not).

The key difference is that DDO is much more "set-in-stone" in terms of adventuring when compared to other games like WOW, EQ2 and even Guild Wars.  Thus, when you form a party you are forming it to do specific quests.  Thus, for better or worse, you are only entering a dungoen to do that quest, you do not have open-ended adventuring.  For this reason, I'd call DDO more of a dungeon adventuring simulator as each dungeon is instanced for your group to encounter alone.

Thus, in DDO you won't have the things that bore me often in other MMORPGs, such as the constant worries over "respawns" or "popping", the lack of static traps (I'd say there is no other MMORPG that fully so supports the rogue character as a necessary class having its intended skills), go fetch-type quests that have no real point except to help with grinding boredom, seeing other high-level characters run through your zone and ignore everything you're fighting (or, worse, killing the things you need to finish off old quests), and just the overall feeling of getting through a dungeon one step at a time.  What you do miss in DDO is the sheer breadth of the worlds in other games, and the open-ended adventuring that you find in those games.

How does this compare to Guild Wars?  Well, Guild Wars has instances, but inside those instances you may find a multitude of quests.  In DDO, the quest you enter a dungeon for is always the main quest, although there are always optional quests available if you find secret doors and such.  Also, in Guild Wars you will not find traps and puzzles of the sort in DDO dungeons.  There simply isn't that feeling of, "Crap, a rogue would have been really useful here," or "Hey, Merlin, did you memorize the fire resist spell, we'll need it for those traps up there."  Guild Wars is not as complex, but lends itself better to the PvP you do there.

So, in brief, I'd say that people who enjoy the open-ended exploring and always seeing new lands to explore would enjoy something like EQ2 or WOW better (and those kinds of games).  If you more enjoy the strategy of coordinating a dungeon expedition that is tailored just for yur grup then DDO might be the ticket.

All that being said too, I think DDO has some ways to go.  It definitely will need new content on a monthly basis, and the level cap is fairly easy to hit if you are a power-gamer.  You also need to adventure in a group that isn't only interested in increasing their exp, because those groups will tend to keep repeating the same high-experience netting quests rather than try out all the other content that's there.  That being said, I don't mind repeating quests too much as it's different to some extent each time as you have different people operating in the group (playing the roles).  It also still has a few bugs to work out, and the leveling up enhancement mechanism seems to be a bit silly at times.  But, there are also some nice things they could eventually do with the framework they've put together, such as randomizing the dungeons in some way so that you always have new dungeons to adventure in.  We'll see where it goes.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2006, 10:01:48 PM »

After trying out the trial for a bit, I'm really starting to like DDO.  biggrin

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 06:25:47 PM »

Yeah, I found it be fun as well.  To keep up the interest I make sure to do every quest rather than just focusing on the big exp-netting ones all the time.  The game still needs a little bit of work and is going to be largely dependent on the continuous addition of modules/adventures.  The good thing about the game is it is fun to create and design different characters and not too difficult to get them up and feeling useful in groups.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 09:31:25 PM »

Quote from: "Fez"
Yeah, I found it be fun as well.  To keep up the interest I make sure to do every quest rather than just focusing on the big exp-netting ones all the time.  The game still needs a little bit of work and is going to be largely dependent on the continuous addition of modules/adventures.  The good thing about the game is it is fun to create and design different characters and not too difficult to get them up and feeling useful in groups.

What would you say has been the average level progression vs. time played so far? Excluding the power gaming individuals, I'm curious to see if the "average" player can play on a regular basis without constantly hitting the same content.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 05:13:27 PM »

Any current players have recommendations for a new player?  I have played a good bit of PnP AD&D, but not sure how it translates over.  In PnP I loved playing rogues, druids and fighters.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 06:10:57 PM »

Arkon -  I haven't played the game a lick.  Actually, I really don't even know anything about it.  BUT... if you liked playing thieves in D&D, I have heard this is the most fleshed out, useful rogue of any MMO ever.

Maybe you should try that.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 08:17:50 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Any current players have recommendations for a new player?  I have played a good bit of PnP AD&D, but not sure how it translates over.  In PnP I loved playing rogues, druids and fighters.

i played for a month before the lack of any decent groups got to me.  in that time, i almost exclusively played a thief, though.  and i have to say, they ARE important to a group.  if you have your see hidden, pick locks, and disable traps pumped up enough, you can be the difference between a live party and a dead party.  really well done.

if you guys get some definite groups going, let me know.  maybe i'll resubscribe for a while.  i really did enjoy the game.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 11:12:07 PM »

Quote from: "fyedaddy"
Quote from: "Fez"

What would you say has been the average level progression vs. time played so far? Excluding the power gaming individuals, I'm curious to see if the "average" player can play on a regular basis without constantly hitting the same content.

Most definitely, you can level rather quickly in the game.  But, this depends on whether you fall prey to what many in the game do, which is to constantly repeat the same high-exp and reward netting quests.  If you make a point to explore other quests, you should avoid that dreaded cycle.  There are plenty of short quests andlong quests, so if you play like an hour or two every other day you'd be able to get through a number of quests.  The longest quests may take 2-3 hours at the most.

I agree with the other poster that finding a good group can sometimes be difficult.  You have to make sure you find people looking to really enjoy a dungeon and not just blast through.  Many groups get together to do the long quests as quickly as possible just to get the reward at the end.  So you have to look out for those.  If they made it so you only got the reward once, I think some of that type of conduct would end.  The game is a great dungeon simulator, and hopefully they'll work a bit more on the mechanics and keep adding new content.  I believe in the end (assuming it lasts long enough) they will probably add some sort of random dungeon/adventure generator which would have a lot of promise, and make the adventuring portion more enjoyable as people won't know where traps and such are.

In the meantime, it is certainly worth playing for a month or two as it's a lot of fun.  Whether it has long term appeal will be directly based on whether they address some mechanics issues (mostly rewards on quests, quest exp, some leveling things, but NOT the quests themselves) and keep adding new content.  At the moment I sort of see it as a game you play for a month or two and then stop, coming back to play every few months as new modules/adventures are released and additional content is added.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 04:52:09 PM »

Just to update this topic, was up late late last night and thought I'd go in and do a mission or two. So I pop in game, put up my lfg flag and started looking for a mission to do.

Got the mission for the quickfoot hide out and went inside after a bit I recieved a few invites and requests. I figured I had started it alone might as well finish it alone.

By the time I finished it I had recieved at least 5 distinct invitations for either me to join a group or people join me. This was at 2 am last night by the way.   You do not have to play this game alone, just be willing to give people a chance and I doubt you'd ever have to solo anything.

Ascendent
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 05:07:32 PM »

Glad you are still enjoying DDO.  I dont know anyone personally playing anymore.  

I play WoW, very late usually, as I dont get home from work till midnight.  I was able to find a guild that raids at midnight.  We have done Onyxia, and Molten core, and other things.  

Depending on your classi n WoW, as well, there is a call for you.  As a mage I get asked to go places all the time.  As a priest, my GF gets invites all the time as well.  

Theres a disadvantage to all those NE rogues, and hunters.  As well as all the tauren hunters, and undead rogues.  On whisperwind horde side, we have a real lack of druids, no matter where I seem to be.  There are really only a feew regulars, and a couple of those are HORRIBLE.

I wanted to get into DDO.  Everything I heard about it though, just made it seem like it wasnt for me.  The next MMO I am waiting on is the Warhammer one.  I am a huge warhammer fan.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 05:12:19 PM »

Oh I'm familar with WoW I was in the beta. I got my paladin to 55 before I couldn't play anymore. My dad still plays his hunter but I hit the wall around 50 and just couldn't back into it even after repeated tries.

As for Warhammer yeah I'm with you, I love the Warhammer universe and I have high high hopes for that one.

As for DDO yeah it's not for everyone, it's pretty shallow in some respects (no crafting) but the combat and dungeon crawls are fun interactive experiences.

Ascendent
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 05:15:58 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
By the time I finished it I had recieved at least 5 distinct invitations for either me to join a group or people join me. This was at 2 am last night by the way.   You do not have to play this game alone, just be willing to give people a chance and I doubt you'd ever have to solo anything.

I'm rather impressed that you found players at that time of the morning.

However, that shows just how good the LFG system in DDO was. It worked, and it worked beautifully. I won't go into my thoughts though as far as the rest of the game worked, however.

Now, if only the Blizzard devs would stop letting the mod community absolutely waste them in the same category and design something just as good...

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2006, 09:52:58 PM »

Something I DID notice about WoW, and my GF just found out.  The alliance pretty much runs out of quests at 50-51.  They have A LOT of instance stuff, but nothing to really handle solo wise.  Horde get Hinterlands, burnings steppes, Blasted lands.  Alliance?  <crickets>

i remember soloing undead in plaguelands with my paladin for 4 levels, till i could start to do BRD and stuff.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2006, 10:41:17 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
Something I DID notice about WoW, and my GF just found out.  The alliance pretty much runs out of quests at 50-51.  They have A LOT of instance stuff, but nothing to really handle solo wise.  Horde get Hinterlands, burnings steppes, Blasted lands.  Alliance?  <crickets>

I have soloed four characters to 60th on the alliance side, none of which ever "grinded" for exps. (i.e. they were always doing quest).

Alliance also have quests in Hinterlands, Burning Steppes, Blasted lands. As well as Ungoro, Eastern and Western Plaguelands, Sithius, Winterspring, Felwood. (and actually, many of the quest in these locations are the same ones the Horde gets, as in Argent Dawn and Cenerion Circle factions).
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2006, 11:23:42 PM »

I think I found about 2 quests in Hinterlands.  As opposed to the some 7 that I had with horde.  Winterspring is way to big for someone whos 50.  Unless you arent soloing.

BUT, there seem to be a overabundance of level 20 Alliance quests and the horde dont get to many really.  There seems to be about a 3-4 level gap in quests.  some 18's...then nothing much till about 22.
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2006, 07:39:35 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
I think I found about 2 quests in Hinterlands.  As opposed to the some 7 that I had with horde.  Winterspring is way to big for someone whos 50.  Unless you arent soloing.

BUT, there seem to be a overabundance of level 20 Alliance quests and the horde dont get to many really.  There seems to be about a 3-4 level gap in quests.  some 18's...then nothing much till about 22.

Not buying it wholesale sorry. While I can agree that in many zones, alliance quests dry up somewhat past 53-54 there are in fact plenty to do. You just have to move around more than before where you could usually go from say 30-40 in one zone. You have a few in the hinterlands, mid to upper felwood is good till 56-57 (grinding on deadwood furbolgs besides quests), winterspring, WPL, EPL etc. etc.. My problem has been finding the best spot that I've not already played through that won't bore me. With my third alliance character to hit 55 or higher, I tend to just grind for cash these days to level.  biggrin
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2006, 09:49:50 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
Oh I'm familar with WoW I was in the beta. I got my paladin to 55 before I couldn't play anymore. My dad still plays his hunter but I hit the wall around 50 and just couldn't back into it even after repeated tries.
Ascendent

You need a few friends and it gets phenominally easier.

I was stuck on my priest at 52 for about 3 months, just not wanting to level or do anythign, and then I finally got bored and did it and it wasnt too bad once I started grouping and running things...  52-54 was the worst, at 55, you can start running EPL, WPL, grind out sunken temple, Un Goro (Unless you are pvp, then its a trifle more difficult in that you might want a firend) and whatnot.  Took me about a wek and a half to do 54-60

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: