http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 11:51:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D&D Online Free to Play! Menace of the Underdark coming to menace you!  (Read 20756 times)
Vidiot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 04, 2009, 07:30:59 PM »

I created my ranger.  I'm not sure if I can make it tonight.  I definitly can't make it at 8 EST since I am in PST.

I played thought a couple of the tutorial town missions.  It is pretty good, not sure how I missed this the first time around.  Is the whole game full of these little instantanced missions with voice overs and such? 

I wonder how much buying enough content to level is going to end up costing in the end.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 04, 2009, 07:48:23 PM »

define "tonight"? I may be able to play in about..1-2hours from now?

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2009, 07:56:46 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on September 04, 2009, 07:30:59 PM

I created my ranger.  I'm not sure if I can make it tonight.  I definitly can't make it at 8 EST since I am in PST.

I played thought a couple of the tutorial town missions.  It is pretty good, not sure how I missed this the first time around.  Is the whole game full of these little instantanced missions with voice overs and such? 

I wonder how much buying enough content to level is going to end up costing in the end.

You can level without buying additional content from what I saw in beta.

Now to actually get past certain tiers (like 5, 10, etc) you have to either find a rare drop, or buy a levelling stone. 
andon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2009, 08:25:53 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 04, 2009, 06:09:10 PM

I'm usually in Kato's vent pretty much all the time.  Been playing a lot of Champions and Gratuitous Space Battles and we use the vent for both.

Made my Monk on Khyber, name is Anuvara. 

Hark can we get use Kato's vent then?  I used to know the connection for it, but haven't been on it since we played COH.
andon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 04, 2009, 08:27:35 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 04, 2009, 07:48:23 PM

define "tonight"? I may be able to play in about..1-2hours from now?

I'm busy till 8 or 9pm EST tonight.  After that I have the whole evening. 

I'm Andon on Khyber lvl 1 cleric.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 04, 2009, 09:14:10 PM »

I'm Razgon, the paladin

A new one
andon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2009, 09:51:55 PM »

Hark has been kind enough to give me the connection information for GamingTrend VNC.

Anyone here who would like to connect up early on there and get organized, send me a PM and I'll forward you the information.

Also, Vidiot, get on when you can and jump right in.  I wouldn't imagine we'll get beyond the tutorial island tonight.  

So far we have:

Razgon - Paladin  (Razgon)
Andun - Cleric   (Andon)
Anuvara - Monk   (Harkonis)
??? - Bard  (morloc)
??? - Sorcerer (Fez)
??? - Ranger (Vidiot)

Did I miss anyone?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:01:21 PM by andon » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2009, 10:05:17 PM »

hmm, I *CAN* make a pure figter, if we need that instead?

anyways, its getting too late for me, but I'll be ready to play again in about 8 hours ;-)

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2009, 10:07:27 PM »

Quote from: andon on September 04, 2009, 09:51:55 PM

Hark has been kind enough to give me the connection information for GamingTrend VNC.

Anyone here who would like to connect up early on there and get organized, send me a PM and I'll forward you the information.

Also, Vidiot, get on when you can and jump right in.  I wouldn't imagine we'll get beyond the tutorial island tonight.  

So far we have:

Andun - Cleric   (Andon)
??? - Bard  (morloc)
??? - Sorcerer (Fez)
??? - Ranger (Vidiot)

Did I miss anyone?

heh, the first three all have healing
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2009, 11:55:43 PM »

Last night I was out cold (a bit under the weather), but I should have some time this weekend.  I'll probably make a female elven sorcerer or wizard.  I'll have to see what names remain available when I create her.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2009, 12:58:20 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 04, 2009, 10:07:27 PM

Quote from: andon on September 04, 2009, 09:51:55 PM

So far we have:

Andun - Cleric   (Andon)
??? - Bard  (morloc)
??? - Sorcerer (Fez)
??? - Ranger (Vidiot)

Did I miss anyone?

heh, the first three all have healing

You mean the first four, don't forget me!

My Bards name is Lymriks

morlac00 on PSN
andon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2009, 01:28:43 AM »

to be fair, I added you a little after his comment  smile
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2009, 01:42:34 PM »

Which server are you guys jumping on to? I have a near lvl 4 fighter on Ghal. but want to roll up a new one as well. I could just as easily do that on another server.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2009, 02:05:03 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on September 05, 2009, 01:42:34 PM

Which server are you guys jumping on to? I have a near lvl 4 fighter on Ghal. but want to roll up a new one as well. I could just as easily do that on another server.

we're on Khyber :-)

A new one
andon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2009, 02:37:04 PM »

Yes, Khyber,

morlac and I played through a few of the initial tutorial quests last night.  Frankly most of them are so short no point in messing with them in a group.

I think we still had a good time, but morlac had to drop off around 10:30 ish. 

If anyone wants to just burn through the starter island quests and we can all meet up as lvl 2 characters in main town.  Don't think that's gonna be an issue.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2009, 04:59:34 PM »

I'm on Khargol as well, lvl 2 Fighter...and damn he's tough! I'm having far more fun with this game than I thought I would....

oh and btw - try going through stuff alone as a wizard..damn thats hard!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:04:09 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2009, 11:49:25 PM »

Quote from: andon on September 05, 2009, 02:37:04 PM

Yes, Khyber,

morlac and I played through a few of the initial tutorial quests last night.  Frankly most of them are so short no point in messing with them in a group.

I think we still had a good time, but morlac had to drop off around 10:30 ish. 

If anyone wants to just burn through the starter island quests and we can all meet up as lvl 2 characters in main town.  Don't think that's gonna be an issue.

Yea sorry bout that.  Had some storms blowing through with accompanying brown outs.  Thos eopening quest are definitely too easy so hitting lvl 2 and meeting in Stormreach is not a bad idea.   Though I believe there are soem tougher ones in the wide open area we didn't get to yet.

morlac00 on PSN
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2009, 07:23:17 AM »

I think I am on the final quest or so for the opening island.  Part way into level 2 so far with my ranger.  I really like the quests so far, it also reminds me of playing a single player rpg while soloing.
andon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2009, 10:22:50 PM »

I'm working through island but had a busy holiday weekend.

Anyone have thoughts on a night we'd like to get 3 or 4 or more folks together..
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 08, 2009, 02:23:23 PM »

apparently points are really selling, according to Turbine.  Millions of Turbine points so far, that's a lot of TP.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2009, 03:03:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 08, 2009, 02:23:23 PM

apparently points are really selling, according to Turbine.  Millions of Turbine points so far, that's a lot of TP.

A few things they don't comment on in the article:

1) Getting the Favored Soul class is very time consuming. You'll have to do a shitton of quests in order to unlock it.
2) Yes, beta testers were given a bunch of points to use. People blew them, expecting to be given more points later. Then they announced the new class and weren't given more points, and few people had the required quests to get it.
3) All points purchased during beta got automatically transferred over to your account once it went Live. People who were going to stick with the system anyway figured it was a great deal.

FYI - the Favored Soul class is one mother of a soloer. As much as you can be in DDO anyway. Does great melee damage AND has a lot of MP to cast heals upon themselves. I'd give it a full whirl, but, well, I'm busy playing CO to death. biggrin

Make sure you comment upon how your group adventure goes. I'm curious to hear your impressions of the game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2009, 02:56:52 PM »

Downloading now.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2009, 04:02:58 PM »

Downloading this now also. Played the beta when it went open and liked some of the stuff but was/am unfamiliar with the Eberron setting.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2009, 05:40:29 PM »

I created my ranger.  I'm not sure if I can make it tonight.  I definitly can't make it at 8 EST since I am in PST.

I played thought a couple of the tutorial town missions.  It is pretty good, not sure how I missed this the first time around.  Is the whole game full of these little instantanced missions with voice overs and such?  

The "original" DDO (pay to play, which is continuing Parallel to the freebie version) was wall-to-wall instances, but that was the rub -- I think it's different now but at the time I tried a trial of it (well before LOTRO launched), it was difficult to find other players and there was no solo content to speak of, so you seemed to spend an awful lot of time in pubs sitting around trying to find group-mates.

The free version certainly sounds more well-rounded than the DDO I tried. I don't remember liking the combat (though obviously I did in LOTRO), and I'm curious how this ballyhooed "real time combat" plays differently than LOTRO or other typical mmorpgs. I look forward to reading more feedback on that.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2009, 07:21:48 PM »

Got it loaded up and am going to try to get on Khyber as well.

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2009, 07:43:16 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 09, 2009, 05:40:29 PM

I created my ranger.  I'm not sure if I can make it tonight.  I definitly can't make it at 8 EST since I am in PST.

I played thought a couple of the tutorial town missions.  It is pretty good, not sure how I missed this the first time around.  Is the whole game full of these little instantanced missions with voice overs and such?  

The "original" DDO (pay to play, which is continuing Parallel to the freebie version) was wall-to-wall instances, but that was the rub -- I think it's different now but at the time I tried a trial of it (well before LOTRO launched), it was difficult to find other players and there was no solo content to speak of, so you seemed to spend an awful lot of time in pubs sitting around trying to find group-mates.

The free version certainly sounds more well-rounded than the DDO I tried. I don't remember liking the combat (though obviously I did in LOTRO), and I'm curious how this ballyhooed "real time combat" plays differently than LOTRO or other typical mmorpgs. I look forward to reading more feedback on that.  icon_smile

Pretty sure the 'old' DDO, Stormreach, is not continuing. You can, however, subscribe to DDO Unlimited and receive content and perks.

The combat is completely different from LotRO. Dodging and staying within range (if melee) of your target are important. You can fire off an ability with a cooldown, and if you're just a little too far away, it will be wasted. There is collision detection for the mobs, which can make it tricky to dodge if you get surrounded. You can just hold down the mouse button, and keep within range of your target (or whatever is in front of you. There are two types of targetting, hard and soft.) and you will continue to swing as fast as you are able. Each hit still seems to be subject to a roll however, and you can see those results.

However unclear I may have made it sound, I think it works out pretty well. It seems to be a good blend of action and statistics.

Ale
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2009, 08:22:44 PM »

Just got back from town. Whats the best server to start on?

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »

When I click on the front page it takes me to a thing to create an account, but I already have one from when I played LOTRO.  How can I download the client?  I tried signing up with my original account name, but it said it was taken and I'm the only one who would come up with the name, trust me.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2009, 10:03:49 PM »

Found a way to just download it.  Hopefully it will let me use my LOTRO account.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2009, 10:14:14 PM »

Said the same thing to me..I just created a new account. I( have no idea what server to make on.

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2009, 11:24:34 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 09, 2009, 09:55:48 PM

When I click on the front page it takes me to a thing to create an account, but I already have one from when I played LOTRO.  How can I download the client?  I tried signing up with my original account name, but it said it was taken and I'm the only one who would come up with the name, trust me.

If you want to tie DDO into your existing Turbine account, you have to contact account support. There is a thread about it on the forums, which happen to be down atm. Lame, but that's the way it is.

Ale
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 09, 2009, 10:14:14 PM

Said the same thing to me..I just created a new account. I( have no idea what server to make on.

I think the servers are all the same. If you want to be with fellow GT'ers, it looks like they've chosen Khyber for the most part.

Ale
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2009, 02:17:10 AM »

I'm on Khyber as Kadnod the Rogue.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2009, 04:02:02 AM »

Ralg Ratsbane Dwarven barbarian at your service.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2009, 04:06:51 AM »

I will probably be on a bit over the next few days, hit me up with friend invites or tells and I'll group up.  Think I get heals at either 3 or 4.  Well, not direct heals, but the ability to tag a mob so that anyone who hits it heals with each hit.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2009, 08:52:40 PM »

I'm on Kyber too, Rittchard - Favored Soul.
andon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2009, 10:17:07 PM »

I totally socked in at work right now...but If someone wants to setup a meet this weekend sometime I'll try to get my Cleric off the island and into the city.

Andun Devion  lvl 1-2 Cleric.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2009, 10:40:53 PM »

Yeah, work travel has hit me hard as well, but a set-time on the weekend might work for me.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2009, 05:48:36 PM »

Cortilian has started up a Wanderers guild on Khyber so please feel free to send him a tell and let him know you're from GT if you are interested.  You have to be in Stormreach to join, apparently, so most of us haven't quite reached it yet, but should be getting there this weekend.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2009, 05:51:52 PM »

anyone up for playing in 2-3 hours today? my kids go to sleep there, and the gf is out of town, and I'd love to team up with a few GT/OO'ers

A new one
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: