http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 09:57:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D&D Online Free to Play! Menace of the Underdark coming to menace you!  (Read 21555 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2009, 06:39:18 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 12, 2009, 12:16:08 AM

Quote from: kronovan on June 11, 2009, 07:57:06 PM

Quote from: Aganazer on June 11, 2009, 07:28:13 PM

Quote from: kronovan on June 11, 2009, 07:22:16 PM

are about to add the Druid
Nope, but without spoiling it, I'll say that it is a healing class, just not a Druid.
Hmm....sounds interesting; didn't know it was going to be a non-standard DnD druid class. If I play again I think I'll still go with my favorite Dwarf Cleric-Fighter combo. Complete with my hefty hammer/axe and tendency to find spiritual enlightenment in a tankard of ale. slywink

Now that's odd. I guess Shapeshifting was just a bit too difficult to plop into the current game rules.

And I went wandering through some of my 3.5 books, and I came up empty as to what prestige classes they could put in that wouldn't overlap the Paladin or Ranger classes too much. Unless DDO is missing one of those classes right now.

Ranger class was for sure in the game day 1 and from observations and comments from players playing them, it was well implemented. It's been 2 years since I played, but I don't recall there being Paladins.
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2009, 06:50:12 AM »

Is it supposed to be a secret? Just reading the DDO forum I saw the speculation, which was based on a mod's comment.

I play 3.5 and I'd never heard of the class, although I found it on the WotC site no problem. Definitely an alternate healer.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »

I didn't say it. No one is supposed to know. But I'm not in the beta and never signed a NDA. I learned purely by chance. Shhhh...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Favored Soul - They are a Charisma based healer class. They are to a Cleric what a Sorcerer is to a Wizard. Lots of mana, but less spells memorized. In the DnD rules they also have a relatively high base attack bonus. They are going to be so overpowered! IMO its the easy way out. They can 'borrow' code from the Cleric and Sorcerer and call it done. I swear that game probably has about 5 people working on it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »

You know, I completely missed that class (somehow). Yeah, I could see that one working within the limited confines of DDO. And yes, I also see that as the 'easy way out' as far as a new class goes.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2009, 03:33:25 PM »

Wasn't the cleric itself considered overpowered beyond belief in 3.5?  And they want to add this class, which sounds even more so?  Wow.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2009, 04:13:14 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 12, 2009, 03:33:25 PM

Wasn't the cleric itself considered overpowered beyond belief in 3.5?

Based on my experience with taking a Cleric to level 10, yup it's quite a powerful character. The problem in DDO, and D&D 3.5 or earlier, though is that you really need to go Dwarf for the constitution bonuses and take some levels of fighter. Still, it was very cool that I could always cover my party with bless, heal any member rapidly and front line fight. The biggest problem with the class is being emotionally strong enough to deal with Type A personality players playing tank toons. Yes, even DDO had it's share of asshat tanks who think the only place for a cleric is chained to their back; albeit they were fewer of them than in other MMO's I've played.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:03:10 PM by kronovan » Logged
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2009, 06:03:15 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 12, 2009, 04:13:14 PM

Based on my experience with taking a Cleric to level 10, yup it's quite a powerful character. The problem in DDO, and D&D 3.5 or earlier, though is that you really need to go Dwarf for the constitution bonuses and take some levels of fighter. Still, it was very cool that I could always cover my party with bless, heal any member rapidly and front line fight. The biggest problem with the class is being emotionally strong enough to deal with Type A personality players playing tank toons. Yes, even DDO had it's share of asshat tanks who think the only place for a cleric is chained to their back; albeit they were fewer of them than in other MMO's I've played.

In DDO I play an intimitank and my wife plays the heal spec'd cleric. Her rightful position is most definitely chained to my back, but occasionally chained to my front.  eek

Clerics do have it easy especially in the earlier content when plate armor and a shield is all you need to be almost invincible. Later on it becomes harder to keep up on the AC without all the nifty accessories. It gets harder to stretch the mana from shrine to shrine. Paying for all the consumable heals can get pricey too.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2009, 07:23:34 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on June 12, 2009, 06:03:15 PM

Quote from: kronovan on June 12, 2009, 04:13:14 PM

In DDO I play an intimitank and my wife plays the heal spec'd cleric. Her rightful position is most definitely chained to my back, but occasionally chained to my front.  eek
Well NP with that as long as she's in agreement wiht that role. Although since she's you're wife all that chaining could be taken as being a wee bit kinky.  eek  My problem is more with tanks that assume it's their right to wade into hordes of enemies and put the party at risk. They were usually the 1st players to blame the Cleric when there was a wipe.  Roll Eyes And when I said chained earlier, I meant dragged along by a chain; it's not like those tanks were ever actually willing to protect me or any other Cleric for that matter.

Clerics do have it easy especially in the earlier content when plate armor and a shield is all you need to be almost invincible. Later on it becomes harder to keep up on the AC without all the nifty accessories.
Yup, I found it got much harder to maintain good AC beginning around level 8

It gets harder to stretch the mana from shrine to shrine. Paying for all the consumable heals can get pricey too.
What's even harder is learning the art of dumping buff's at shrines before you recharge. Even harder was convincing ADD prone tanks they should remain there until you're finished. I always knew I was in a doomed zerker party when getting tanks to stay put for buffs was like getting my kids to the dinner table.  deadhorse
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 07:39:12 PM by kronovan » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2009, 06:10:34 PM »

A question for anyone here who's currenlty in the beta. I'm wondering what quests/areas will be free to play? A few years back a friend gave me his DDO: Stormreach game guide and I've been leafing through it recently. I noticed in the guide the quest areas of Stormreach harbour, Stormreach market, Smuggler Rest and the 4 houses of Kundrak, Jorasco, Phiarlan and Deneith. That represented a lot of content for me and I'm not even sure I completed every quest in those areast by the time I reached level 10.
So my question is: are all of those above listed areas included in the  F2P content, or will some of them be optional modules?
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 17, 2009, 06:10:34 PM

A question for anyone here who's currenlty in the beta. I'm wondering what quests/areas will be free to play? A few years back a friend gave me his DDO: Stormreach game guide and I've been leafing through it recently. I noticed in the guide the quest areas of Stormreach harbour, Stormreach market, Smuggler Rest and the 4 houses of Kundrak, Jorasco, Phiarlan and Deneith. That represented a lot of content for me and I'm not even sure I completed every quest in those areast by the time I reached level 10.
So my question is: are all of those above listed areas included in the  F2P content, or will some of them be optional modules?

Portions of each of those will be free to play. The adventure packs will be things that are quest chains in one area like Tangleroot Gorge, Delara's Tomb, Shan-To-Kor, Cult of the Six, etc. It won't be sold by area like the ones you mention. Some of the adventure packs will be free like Shan-To-Kor. Some will be unlockable from completing things in the game or finding them as drops. Some you will have to purchase with Turbine Points.

They have confirmed that you will be able to level from 1-20 without purchasing anything. There will also be guest passes that players can purchase and then give to free players that will allow the free player to try an adventure pack for a few hours.

You'll also be able to 'earn' free Turbine Points just by playing the game. You get the free points at certain levels of favor. Theoretically you could reroll a bunch of times, earn a ton of free Turbine Points and then use them to buy all the game's content. All without spending a dime. Of course no sane person would reroll 100 times with the limited content that will be available to a free player, but it is possible.

Everything I just mentioned has been talked about in interviews and on the public forums. I also just got into the beta, but haven't installed it yet to see anything specific. Unfortunately, I am now limited by an NDA so I won't be talking about what I see in the game. DDO is my 6th MMORPG beta that I am working on! All these games are coming out in the next six months. It may have been a quite year so far, but soon we'll be flooded with new MMORPG's.

Out of all these betas I am personally most excited by the DDO free to play option and Champions Online. I'll most likely have one evening a week set aside for a regular static group in DDO. I wouldn't have done this without the free to play option. Then for a sub game I'll be all over Champions Online. Champions is like a big playground that brings out the kid in you. Its not realistic in any way, but its so much fun that you don't really care. I guess that's what the superhero genre is all about.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »

Many thanks for the reply Aganazer. I kind of figured those quests would probably cost; too bad because the Gorge and Tomb were my favorites. Oh well, hopefully those won't cost too much or the required points can be earned before you reach the appropriate level.

I'm planning on spending about a day/week as well playing. I'm currently playing Shin Megami Tensei Online every other day with my son and nephew, so I doubt I'll be able to invest much more time than than. I just started reading Don Bassingwaithe's 2nd trilogy set in the Eberron world. I read his 1st -The Dragon Below- about 2 years ago and man do his books ever suck you into the D&D Eberron setting. That and the depth or character options depicted so well in the original game guide have got me pumped to replay. I applied for the beta, but unfortunately because my DDO account lapsed, the Turbine account screen is asking me to come in as a VIP or go away. I applied under a new email account, so hopefully that comes through.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2009, 03:21:33 PM »

Is this game a true MMO or is it mostly instance based like Guild Wars?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2009, 03:37:10 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 18, 2009, 03:21:33 PM

Is this game a true MMO or is it mostly instance based like Guild Wars?

It's best described as Guild Wars - while all the town areas have all the currently online players of the server, all the dungeons and overworld areas spawn an instance for you or your party to adventure into. There's no spawn camping or anything of the sort because of it. Just you, your friends, and a world to adventure into.

And I have to say this much about the beta - I really like the interface improvements over the standard game. Just the little things, like having a visible life bar over all the mobs' heads and how all dropped treasure has a name on it on the floor really makes the game that much better. It's almost annoying to play the 'standard' game without those improvements in (yes, I'm a current resubscriber after I saw how much better the game as a whole has gotten since I last played).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 18, 2009, 03:37:10 PM

And I have to say this much about the beta - I really like the interface improvements over the standard game. Just the little things, like having a visible life bar over all the mobs' heads and how all dropped treasure has a name on it on the floor really makes the game that much better. It's almost annoying to play the 'standard' game without those improvements in (yes, I'm a current resubscriber after I saw how much better the game as a whole has gotten since I last played).

That's sounding great Destructor. I'm tempted to suss out a new boxed copy at a LGS so I'd be guaranteed in on the beta, but I've got too many other games on the go right now. I think by the planned live date for Mod 9 I'll be tired of my current freebie MMO's and be ready to jump in. It's sounding like it might actually be possible to get a GT party or 2 together. Although you and Aganazer will probably be too high a level by then.
What's the player community like in the beta? Are most players using the voicechat now?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2009, 04:24:08 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 18, 2009, 05:17:21 PM

What's the player community like in the beta? Are most players using the voicechat now?

I just started up with a friend, and we're going to be duoing for now (Rogue/Ranger and Barbarian/Cleric) to see how things go. Haven't done much with the community at all. I know the forums are active at least.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2009, 10:37:39 AM »

Let me know if you want another.  Harkonis - Rogue and Ravina - Monk both pure classes
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2009, 11:56:14 AM »

I just started up with a friend, and we're going to be duoing for now (Rogue/Ranger and Barbarian/Cleric) to see how things go. Haven't done much with the community at all. I know the forums are active at least.

Doing the same thing here as well.  Going to try and get 3 of us together from our old D&D group from about 12 years ago.  Really hoping this thing pans out.  And of course, I get to play a Halfling - which is all that really matters anyway.   icon_smile   

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »

So how much fun would you say is garnered from "action" as opposed to "stat fiddling"?

Is it more of a thinking man's mmo..in the way of what you're doing before and after the action matters most?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »

I will be around when it goes live for sure.   Most likely playing a bard or some sort of dual class.

morlac00 on PSN
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2009, 03:07:40 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on June 19, 2009, 01:43:40 PM

So how much fun would you say is garnered from "action" as opposed to "stat fiddling"?

Is it more of a thinking man's mmo..in the way of what you're doing before and after the action matters most?

Bearing in mind I haven't played the game for more than 2 years, but at least at that time I'd say it struck an excellent balance between action and stat fiddling. The combat is far more real time than the vast majority of MMO's and the battles have more of an action game feel. At times that can be a bit deceptive because it's true D&D and in fact you can view the numerical stats for each and every attack that occurs.

In terms of stat fiddling, again it's standard D&D with an ability matrix, feats matrix and skills matrix all of which allow for very finite customization. They also introduced a points system about 2 years ago where you can spend points between levels on class specific secondary skills. Then add in the multiclass system which allows you to switch back and forth between classes when you level up. There's definitely a lot of strategy to character creation and if you screw up your abilities you can pooch your character from the start. There's also a lot of strategy to multiclassing in that classes only get feats at specific levels so that can determine how many levels you take before you switch. So yeah it's a thinking man's MMO, but for those who don't want that there is the ability go with a default Class/Race template.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »

Quote from: morlac on June 19, 2009, 02:52:47 PM

I will be around when it goes live for sure.   Most likely playing a bard or some sort of dual class.

If you go Bard you'll definitely want to dual class. Some of my guild mates were Bard/Fighters, Bard/Sorcerers and Bard/Rogues and they were all effective in different ways. And like a Cleric you'll be more than welcome in quest parties. slywink
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2009, 06:17:33 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on June 19, 2009, 01:43:40 PM

I was just talking to a friend about this. IMO DDO is the perfect mix between player skill (reflexes), player knowledge, and character ability. You'll get a sixth sense to know when you're about due to encounter a trap or where a secret might be hiding. You have to know a lot about D&D to develop your character well. You also need to be able to react quickly in combat, dodge out harms way, and know how to react to many different enemies.

It not only requires thinking, but the game demands a lot of attention while playing and preparation for the various encounters in the game.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2009, 09:34:24 PM »

I was surprised how fast the action was.  When my mind thinks in terms of D&D it's stuck in turn based thinking and I was almost overwhelmed thinking D&D stats while attacking and dodging quickly.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2009, 02:18:17 PM »

So, I have some serious issues with this game after giving it (and the beta) a whirl:

1) LAG! The game has server hiccups CONSTANTLY. In a game that is this fast-paced, and has limited healing capability, the lag is an absolute killer. I can't stand swinging at mobs that just aren't there anymore because the server doesn't believe the client at all.

2) Spellcasters. Starting around 4th level missions, the enemy starts getting some serious spellcaster ranks among their forces. And they will kick (and hold, sleep, web, obscuring mist, poison, stat drain, etc) your ass two days from Tuesday. Bloody hell what a difficulty jump. Combined with #1, and you just can't kill them fast enough before they own your ass.

The scary part? I remember both of these issues being problems when I played the game way back when. Why hasn't either been adjusted (the lag especially)?

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2009, 02:31:32 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 25, 2009, 02:18:17 PM

1) LAG! The game has server hiccups CONSTANTLY. In a game that is this fast-paced, and has limited healing capability, the lag is an absolute killer. I can't stand swinging at mobs that just aren't there anymore because the server doesn't believe the client at all.

The lag is why I quit the first time. Let me guess, you're on Thelanis? Roll on a different server. Thelanis is F'ed up.

There are also some lag fixes that just hit the test server. Hopefully it will fix the problem. I had zero lag on the test server since the last patch and it was quite busy with the new class being added.

2) Spellcasters. Starting around 4th level missions, the enemy starts getting some serious spellcaster ranks among their forces. And they will kick (and hold, sleep, web, obscuring mist, poison, stat drain, etc) your ass two days from Tuesday. Bloody hell what a difficulty jump. Combined with #1, and you just can't kill them fast enough before they own your ass.

There are some things you can do. For one, get your saves up, in particular reflex. A couple levels of paladin gets you divine grace that adds you charisma bonus to all your saves. Monks(2), Rangers(9?), and Rogues(2) get evasion that lets you avoid all spell damage on a successful reflex save.

You can also do some things that work in all MMOG's like pulling casters around corners.

There is also the difficulty scaling that will come with the free version. I only played to level 4 on the test server, but I was able to solo everything on normal with a non-twinked non-healing barbarian. There is no way I could have done that on live.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2009, 04:10:14 PM »

I haven't experienced any server lag so far.  Spellcasters can defintiely be a bitch though.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »

I'm surprised to hear about lag too, as I rarely experienced that when I played. I was on the the Sarlona server though, so maybe this is an issue with Thelanis.

In regards to casters being a bitch, I was a Cleric and didn't have too many problems with them -especially around level 4. I do remember a few linked quests; some catacombs and Delara's -think that was the correct name- tomb where there were some nasty casters in the last chapter. I guess the 1st question I'd ask is; when you encountered them did you have a correctly spec'd Cleric in your party?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on June 25, 2009, 02:31:32 PM

The lag is why I quit the first time. Let me guess, you're on Thelanis? Roll on a different server. Thelanis is F'ed up.

There are also some lag fixes that just hit the test server. Hopefully it will fix the problem. I had zero lag on the test server since the last patch and it was quite busy with the new class being added.

K...something or another. The one that starts with a K. I see it all the time in towns (myself, my party members, and anybody running around warps around), and in dungeons (the same). And it's definitely not my PC or connection. It's the server (as my party complains about the same thing).

As far as Test goes though - yeah, it's lag free. Of course, who knows how many players are actually on at one time. If they've truly optimized the lag experience, then that fix needs to come to the Live servers NOW.

Quote from: kronovan on June 25, 2009, 04:32:52 PM

In regards to casters being a bitch, I was a Cleric and didn't have too many problems with them -especially around level 4. I do remember a few linked quests; some catacombs and Delara's -think that was the correct name- tomb where there were some nasty casters in the last chapter. I guess the 1st question I'd ask is; when you encountered them did you have a correctly spec'd Cleric in your party?

Define 'correctly spec'd Cleric'. Pure Cleric? Cleric with a level in something else? Certain spells, feats, or enhancements? Items? Even with my D&D experience, there's a LOT to keep track of and possibly overlook.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2009, 08:15:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 25, 2009, 06:53:24 PM

Define 'correctly spec'd Cleric'. Pure Cleric? Cleric with a level in something else? Certain spells, feats, or enhancements? Items? Even with my D&D experience, there's a LOT to keep track of and possibly overlook.

Well you said starting around level 4 missions, so I'll list what I think would be must haves for a 4th level Cleric. It's fine to mclass -personally I only mclass with tank classes (Fighter or Barbarian)- but no more than 1 level before 4, if even that.

Abilities
I'd never go with a beginning Wisdom of less than 14 and even if I started that low I'd increase it to 15 at lvl 4. Constitution no less than 10 and ideally at least 14, which is why I like Dwarves for the class.

Skills:
Concentration and Heal are absolute must haves IMO.

Feats:
Empower Healing Spells is a must have and Quicken Spell, Combat Casting and Extend Spell are also very good.

Spells
If you know you're taking on casters a 4th lvl should at a minimum have as 1st level spells: Protection from Evil, Remove Fear and Bless prep'd. Gotta stay alive if you're to be useful, so Shield of Faith is also good. For 2nd lvl spells Cure Moderate Wounds and Lesser Restoration are must haves; Aid is good too. Of course if you know what energy(ies) a enemy will use you can prep those particular 2nd lvl Resist Energy spells too.

It should be noted I'm not too attracted to Turn Undead which is another reason I'm comfortable with a dwarf -low Charisma score. As well, as I mentioned above I also like to mclass with tank classes, so I don't use a lot of attack spells and usually have a decent Strength score.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:21:11 PM by kronovan » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2009, 08:57:31 PM »

I think I can safely say this now that it's on Turbine's front page, but yes, the Favored Soul (FvS) have been announced as the newest class for the game. They have the spell gain of the Sorcerer, but they gain Divine spells instead. They also trade off fewer spell choices for a ton more mana. Oh yeah, they can also melee very well.

Let's just put it this way - in beta, currently at level 3, I've made a FvS as a dual wielding Drow Elf (no multiclassing), and I'm absolutely and utterly slaughtering the locals by myself in both Normal and Hard difficulties. I've also only done missions in the Harbor area, so who knows how well I'll hold up as the game gets much harder.

Frankly, I love the Favored Soul SO much, that I no longer want to play my Cleric. Blasted expansion/issue/module/whatever needs to come out NOW.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2009, 09:38:04 PM »

the favored soul definitely feels like a god-class to me smile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2009, 09:51:18 PM »

I suspected such a class was on it's way based on the earlier comments. It sounds like a class that will have many die hard PnP D&D'ers shaking their heads, but will appeal to many others and more importantly to new players. It also will address a problem there's always been in D&D; not enough players willing to play healer/supports. I still think I'd go with a Cleric over a FvS, only because I know it fairly well and haven't exhausted all mclass possibilities with it yet.

My bigger decision now is going to be whether I even go with a healer class or leave that role up to other players since the FvS will probably be quite common. I'm thinking an Elf Bard/Sorcerer might be fun and very challenging. slywink_
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »

Meh, still going bard smile  They gets the heal spells too Tongue

morlac00 on PSN
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2009, 09:53:03 PM »

I'm playing a monk and when free to play goes live would be interested in reprising that role with some of you guys. 

Hopefully someone can make room for me since I know the monk really doesn't fill a need that teams have since it's not really dps or tank but half-ass at both.  The build i take does provide a heal shield on a target though which heals anyone who hits it so that could help out (if things didn't generally die when i hit them to apply it that is... lol)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2009, 03:57:26 PM »

Hmm a monk and Bard duo doing lots of things but nothing well....sounds good to me!   icon_biggrin

morlac00 on PSN
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »

For anyone currently in the beta; Have Turbine announced a go live/beta conclusion date yet?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2009, 04:37:23 AM »

Can anyone in the beta (or anyone who has played the regular game) help me understand a couple simple things (sorry, I'm somewhat of an MMO n00b)?  I've been trying to get some answers in-game and coming up empty.

1.  Seems to me you gain nothing (no XP, no treasure, nada) from killing random mobs outside of specific dungeons, and the only way to get XP is completing quests.   Is that right, or am I missing something?  If that's correct, why do they even bother putting mobs out there?  Just to annoy?
2.  Is there a way to fast-travel between known locations (i.e. main towns or dungeon entrances)?  Completing a dungeon then having to walk all the way back to down is tiresome.

Thanks.  smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2009, 04:54:16 AM »

1) That is completely correct. The best you'll get as far as items go from random mobs are Collectible drops. Items all drop out of random crates, and out of treasure chests. That's it. And as far as EXP goes, it's entirely based on completing missions (and sub-mission objectives). How the game was designed.
2) Fast Travel - no.

And as far as the release date of the latest expansion - the best Turbine has said is 'Summer'. Frankly, I wish it would be sooner (or right now), as I'd much rather play my Favored Soul than my Cleric.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »

Pretty sure we'll have options for fast travel from the store.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2009, 06:53:50 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 04, 2009, 04:37:23 AM

Can anyone in the beta (or anyone who has played the regular game) help me understand a couple simple things (sorry, I'm somewhat of an MMO n00b)?  I've been trying to get some answers in-game and coming up empty.

1.  Seems to me you gain nothing (no XP, no treasure, nada) from killing random mobs outside of specific dungeons, and the only way to get XP is completing quests.   Is that right, or am I missing something?  If that's correct, why do they even bother putting mobs out there?  Just to annoy?
2.  Is there a way to fast-travel between known locations (i.e. main towns or dungeon entrances)?  Completing a dungeon then having to walk all the way back to down is tiresome.

Thanks.  smile

As far as I remember, that was the way Dungeons & Dragons was supposed to work - you get your XP AFTER the mission, and could level up then and so on. Nowadays youths want it all NOW so they cant wait with stuff like that ;-)

A new one
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: