http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 04:26:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Universe Impressions  (Read 19885 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2011, 10:27:50 AM »

meet Woo:

not sure if I'm going to keep him, just wanted to see superspeed and gadgets.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »

been playing the Legends Arena scenarios....and have yet to win even one match. Keeps on putting me in the Arkham one (I am a villain), and we just lose so badly. Even when we capture a point, our points continue to plummet. Not sure what we (I) am doing wrong.

But, I saw a lvl 26 in the scenario with a bunch of lvl 10's...didn't really think that was possible....

PSN: MythicalMino
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »

played my villain up through the fight with The Huntress.  Liking everything so far, but I got ganked after I opened up my journal to complete a quest just outside the mission entrance near the beginning safehouse.  some guy nailed me with two shots and I was down.  it's the only bit of PvP I've seen so far, of course it was late at night so the server was a ghost town anyways.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2011, 04:32:21 AM »

Holy cow tonight is a gankfest in the villain starting zone on Public enemies.  There were groups standing outside of the re-spawn zone ganking people as they tried to get out, and god forbid the other players start working together to take them out.  Once I got out of that area and got onto a mission I got nailed by three other people at the same time with arrows, some plant thing and lightning.

it was enough to make me decide to re-roll on Brave New World.   I'm playing to have fun, and fun was not being had.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2011, 04:52:27 AM »

meh, been ganked quite a bit already by levels 20+ no big deal. now that i'm lvl 9 my acrobatic skill is a shit ton faster.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2011, 10:02:57 AM »

Since I ditched Woo I created the Dark Mystic (and her floating demonic skull named Murray):

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2011, 05:58:38 PM »

whoah... I didn't know that Achievements give you Feat points, and every 100 feat points gives you a skill point.  time to go hunting some achievements.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 22, 2011, 05:58:38 PM

whoah... I didn't know that Achievements give you Feat points, and every 100 feat points gives you a skill point.  time to go hunting some achievements.

yup, it's pretty great.

man last night was a gankfest for me. There were level 30s camping so many quest spawns. Or just plain a billion heroes everywhere. The pvp is quite awesome though. Some level 18 tried to kill me, I would have killed him but of course 2 more had to join the fight. Revenge was gotten later. People who mash their keys are great. Just roll away and hit from range and break their blocks.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 22, 2011, 05:58:38 PM

oohh - THATS why I suddenly had skill points I didnt notice before - thanks!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2011, 06:52:57 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 22, 2011, 06:35:50 PM

man last night was a gankfest for me. There were level 30s camping so many quest spawns. Or just plain a billion heroes everywhere. The pvp is quite awesome though. Some level 18 tried to kill me, I would have killed him but of course 2 more had to join the fight. Revenge was gotten later. People who mash their keys are great. Just roll away and hit from range and break their blocks.

yep, that was what I was talking about.  it just wasn't fun getting jumped by three or four guys every time I tried to do some leveling or even leave the re-spawn.  I'll give them kudos for being very well coordinated, it'd usually be a couple of AoE attacks followed by them running in and tagging me as I broke off any stun effects.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2011, 07:20:14 PM »

being lvl 30 or having 4 people attacking you requires exactly 0 coordination. I give them props for sucking. I mean really. Beating a lvl 18 at lvl 11? LOLZ. I mean yeah, I don't blame them. It has become my mission to partake in as much ganking as I can now. Fuckers deserve it. But yes, there's no coordination needed when you simply out level someone by twice.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2011, 08:50:32 PM »

So bottom line... worth grabbing on Steam? I tend to play fairly solo unless I have some friends playing a game, and am hoping for 1) more interesting quests than most MMORPGs have at the start, and 2) some more story than most if possible.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2011, 08:52:25 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on January 22, 2011, 08:50:32 PM

So bottom line... worth grabbing on Steam? I tend to play fairly solo unless I have some friends playing a game, and am hoping for 1) more interesting quests than most MMORPGs have at the start, and 2) some more story than most if possible.

Up until the end game the entire game is completely soloable. Quests are indeed more interesting and have a good amount of comic book type story driving them.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »

Cool... How long is the game? Might grab this today and waste much of my weekend...

And is it different enough story-wise to be worth playing through both as hero and villain?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:57:03 PM by Azhag » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2011, 10:19:20 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on January 22, 2011, 08:55:26 PM

Cool... How long is the game? Might grab this today and waste much of my weekend...

And is it different enough story-wise to be worth playing through both as hero and villain?

There are three different mentors one both sides - each mentor gives you a different storyline to follow with different quests. That said, I can see they reuse a LOT of content on villain side from the hero side. Their excuse might be that its basically the same story told from different viewpoints, and I actually kinda dig that.

One thing though - I got to lvl 10 without 2-3 hours easily and the game only has 30 levels so far. How much content there is, I have my doubts about.

The game itself is pretty damn fun though, and the playing-with-dolls part (i.e. dressing up your characters) is pretty damn awesome, and the different powers are actually very fun to play with. The combat is fun, and there's just the right amount of "grind" to finish each quest. Oh, and flying high above the city with supersonic speed makes me feel exactly like a superhero game should make me feel.

If you like comics and you like mmo's, you should buy it.

A new one
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2011, 12:01:41 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on January 22, 2011, 08:55:26 PM

You can hit level cap in 30-40 hours of play. Each mentor has a unique intro mission line but after that it's mostly the same content. Hero vs. Villain versions of content is often the same with story variations to fit. Different power sets are definitely fun to mess with and you can probably level 2 or 3 characters before it starts to feel overly repetitious.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2011, 12:54:07 AM »

There any over balance in the servers for one side or the other? Can't decide which I want to make my first character after it downloads...
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2011, 06:00:33 AM »

So, we should get everyone's screen names.  The game is so alt-centric, that it's hard to keep up with everyone.  I've been playing exclusively on the Public Enemies server, but I keep making alts. Yeah, on rare occasions you can see a gank-fest for a little while in an area that can affect a quest you are working on, but just give a shout out and generally you'll notice the tide turns.  I kind of like that added element.  Once I figure out my main I will post it.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2011, 06:19:26 AM »

Just started a hero, Blue Cowl, on a Brave New World. My player name is Azhag2. Will update with other alt names as I make them...

Will likely make my next a villain on a PvP server. Public Enemies I guess?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:38:41 PM by Azhag » Logged
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2011, 07:13:57 AM »

I'm on death and glory as a villian. PC version, naturally.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2011, 03:53:46 PM »

I was talking with my good friend yesterday on the phone.  He was on his way home with a copy of game in hand.  I was not all that impressed with the PS3 beta (though I did not give it a whole lot of time)  .  However, as we are talking about it I somehow found my mouse pointer lingering over the buy button and whamo!  2 hours and 35 minutes later I was making a Superhero.  Not sure what happened there but I played about 4 hours last night and had a good time.  I think the fact my wife is out of town for the next 7 days and my daughter is going to visit grandparents had a lot to do with it.  I feel sick days and a gaming bender coming on fast. 

Only issues I had last night were that every damn name I wanted was taken.  I had to settle on Winters Grasp for my ice guy and It sucks.

morlac00 on PSN
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »

Sigh...had a crappy friday so I picked this up on the way home with my reward zone certificates at BB.  Verdict is still mostly out, but I'm not feeling the love I thought I would.  It just seems more of the same old, same old in every aspect.  I'm also annoyed that i can't make a pure, superman type character.  I have to choose between fire, ice, mental, sorcery, and gadgets.  choosing the superman template reveals that they believe Supes is built on an ice template?  wonder woman is a mental build?  that's just stupid, imho.  it pigeonholes my character before i even have a chance to get going by forcing me to go with powers that don't even come close to what i want.  
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:49:55 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2011, 06:59:01 PM »

So why not just make your own with powers you do want?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2011, 07:13:16 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 23, 2011, 06:59:01 PM

yeah, make a custom one.  I have a flying staff wielding sorceress with the Joker as a mentor, and before that a speedster gadget guy with dual pistols.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2011, 07:13:58 PM »

I have 9 different ones so far :-D Its very easy to level and try out the different powers.

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2011, 08:46:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 23, 2011, 07:13:16 PM

yeah, make a custom one.  I have a flying staff wielding sorceress with the Joker as a mentor, and before that a speedster gadget guy with dual pistols.

you are limited to the 5 power sets I just mentioned, though.  I'm not choosing the templates, I'm customizing and I'm still stuck with ice, fire, mental, sorcery and gadgets.  there's nothing that's just pure strength attacks.  i'm nitpicking, i'm sure.  but i wanted to create a daxamite which basically is superman.  but there's no power set that's just pure strength.  it just seems silly that i'm restricted to those 5 power sets (6 if you count the iconic set) and that they're so specific.  i mentioned the superman and wonder woman templates because even the makers of the game had to wedge two of the best known characters into power sets that don't fit the characters.  both i would consider to be tanks.  but DCUO recognizes two power sets as tank roles:  fire and ice.  that's rather limiting.

and yes, i know i can choose not to use the powers that don't fit my character, but i effectively waste those points.

as i said, i'm nitpicking...but it still annoys me.   icon_wink

Quote from: Razgon on January 23, 2011, 07:13:58 PM

I have 9 different ones so far :-D Its very easy to level and try out the different powers.

i thought you were limited to six alts per account? 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:19:34 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2011, 12:13:04 AM »

I would guess six per server.  Just a guess though.

Made a Rifle carrying gadgeter today, Vaya ConDios  He likes to blow things up and send them to their maker.

morlac00 on PSN
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2011, 03:22:24 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 23, 2011, 08:46:41 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 23, 2011, 07:13:16 PM

yeah, make a custom one.  I have a flying staff wielding sorceress with the Joker as a mentor, and before that a speedster gadget guy with dual pistols.

you are limited to the 5 power sets I just mentioned, though.  I'm not choosing the templates, I'm customizing and I'm still stuck with ice, fire, mental, sorcery and gadgets.  there's nothing that's just pure strength attacks.  i'm nitpicking, i'm sure.  but i wanted to create a daxamite which basically is superman.  but there's no power set that's just pure strength.  it just seems silly that i'm restricted to those 5 power sets (6 if you count the iconic set) and that they're so specific.  i mentioned the superman and wonder woman templates because even the makers of the game had to wedge two of the best known characters into power sets that don't fit the characters.  both i would consider to be tanks.  but DCUO recognizes two power sets as tank roles:  fire and ice.  that's rather limiting.

and yes, i know i can choose not to use the powers that don't fit my character, but i effectively waste those points.

as i said, i'm nitpicking...but it still annoys me.   icon_wink

Quote from: Razgon on January 23, 2011, 07:13:58 PM

i thought you were limited to six alts per account? 

I wish I could find the quote (the beta boards have been wiped), but the developers essentially said they wanted the flashy power sets instead.  There were thousands of posts across multiple threads in beta begging for a might & mastery set, but the developers never listened. Basically if you want superman you have to spec fire & ice, wait until level 20, then respec out of your fire or ice powers & take iconic powers instead. However, when you do this, since the tank abilities only fire off of when you use a power from a tanking powerset, you gimp yourself as a tank and have to stay as a DPS character. Its a real cluster. 

The game is fun for a short time.  It was worth the purchase price, however isn't worth subbing to.  I suspect the bulk of people posting here will burn out in 30 days or less.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2011, 06:31:59 AM »

ok...I am lvl 14....in Gotham (Joker is my mentor). I have....ONE mission that takes place in Gotham. But, I also have like...15 missions in Metropolis (???)

So, why am I not finding any missions for Gotham? Why is Joker trying to send me to Metropolis? I would finish the one mission I have in Gotham, but, the Heroes are all crazy there, and personally, I am getting tired by being DESTROYED by Heroes who are 5-8 lvls higher than I am (the repair bills are getting a bit crazy).

So, am I just not finding the missions to do in Gotham? Or am I destined to just give up and go to Metropolis? Also, I have some missions that I have way out leveled....by 10 levels for some of them. How do I abandon missions? Is that possible?

By the way, the mission I am on in Gotham has me taking out detectives for the Joker in Amusement Mile. I did just finish a couple for Two-Face, but those were quick and all right there in Amusement Mile. Are there other places to find missions for my lvl range?

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2011, 06:42:07 AM »

you don't only get missions from your mentor.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2011, 06:45:42 AM »

I realize that. But what I am wondering, though, is....where do I pick more missions up? I really don't want to leave Gotham City. So, do I need to visit the other safehouses, maybe?

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2011, 06:57:47 AM »

Quote from: MythicalMino on January 24, 2011, 06:45:42 AM

I realize that. But what I am wondering, though, is....where do I pick more missions up? I really don't want to leave Gotham City. So, do I need to visit the other safehouses, maybe?

At lvl 10 you have the same issue basically - you have a lvl12 mission, and all the other starter area missions as well, which are around lvl 6. Then you have to do one of the other areas missions, to get to lvl 12, and then start your own mentor's missions.

I don't know if its the same here, but I suspect so.

I agree though, with the subbing - right now there doesnt seem enough content to keep playing, but then again, it IS a casual game, so perhaps for those people who play a few hours a week, its perfect.

A new one
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2011, 07:48:07 AM »

I have a shit ton of missions from many, many levels ago. you must be missing all the ones in the world or something.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2011, 08:21:44 AM »

Oh, this reminds me - I saw Lara Croft last night...a pretty much perfect copy of her made in the game...rather cool what some ingenious people can dream up with a character creator like this.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 24, 2011, 08:58:30 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 24, 2011, 08:21:44 AM

Oh, this reminds me - I saw Lara Croft last night...a pretty much perfect copy of her made in the game...rather cool what some ingenious people can dream up with a character creator like this.

I ran into Zagnief from Street Fighter.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 24, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »

I saw the character from the God of War series and they did a great job on him.  Although they used the large frame which made him look a bit odd.

I also saw the following quote:  "Aquaman is the Will Ferrel of superheroes.".  

I have to agree with Wargus.  It's not something I'll be subscribing to.  I'll play the free month, see what there is to see, then abandon it for a while.  Hopefully during that time, they'll expand the power sets and add more content. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:55:55 PM by hepcat » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2011, 01:43:53 AM »

SOE's fastest selling game ever?

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 22, 2011, 06:52:57 PM

Quote from: jersoc on January 22, 2011, 06:35:50 PM

yep, that was what I was talking about.  it just wasn't fun getting jumped by three or four guys every time I tried to do some leveling or even leave the re-spawn.  I'll give them kudos for being very well coordinated, it'd usually be a couple of AoE attacks followed by them running in and tagging me as I broke off any stun effects.

last night i fired up a lvl 4 character i had on a pvp server just to check it out.  there was a level 30 hero hanging out right outside the spawn point for all the new characters.  he was just sitting there, attacking all the lvl 4 through 6 characters that tried to step outside the shield around the spawn point. 

if you're a rabid pvp fan and you try to argue that that is fun, you're a moron.  what skill is there in shooting fish in a barrel? 

here, i'll answer it for you:

none.

deleted that character and remade him on a pve server.  at least there, i can be assured of at least experiencing the game.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »

Carebear...

ninja

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2011, 03:12:03 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 25, 2011, 03:09:31 PM

Carebear...

ninja

icon_lol

don't worry, he'll show up.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: