http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:39:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Universe Impressions  (Read 22099 times)
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2011, 02:52:12 AM »

So steam it is!! smile

Vidiot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2011, 04:48:33 AM »

It took years to download on the PS3, I'm wondering if they used the DVD at all.

After that I spent a while creating my first character, now waiting for a queue to log on to the server.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2011, 05:57:17 AM »

This is not a cross-platform game, right?  In other words, if I bought it on PC, I wouldn't be able to play against people on the PS3, right?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2011, 06:42:23 AM »

After a couple of hours of play it is fun, but so far nothing too "wow" has happened.  Targeting can be a bit of a pain (it is way to easy to target something way behind the guy you want to fight and pull him in too).  It could be I just need to work on using lock target more.

To start with I made a Superhero on "The Killing ??? (joke maybe?)" PVP server.  Probably play the hero for a bit more and then try making a villain.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 14, 2011, 05:57:17 AM

This is not a cross-platform game, right?  In other words, if I bought it on PC, I wouldn't be able to play against people on the PS3, right?

From everything I've read you are correct there is no cross platform playing.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2011, 11:21:42 PM »

Yep, they hope to make it more cross-platform capable in the future, but it's too bad.  I'm on the PC version.  Oh well.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2011, 01:34:30 AM »

Quote from: Fez on January 14, 2011, 11:21:42 PM

Yep, they hope to make it more cross-platform capable in the future, but it's too bad.  I'm on the PC version.  Oh well.

FFXI did it. Not sure what the issue is. Looking back at what I played, I realize now that I put the game down because it was action combat and not the turn based systems that are in all MMOs. I think that clouded my judgement. I think I might give this a try on PC.

Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2011, 03:48:14 AM »

Quote from: Rich on January 14, 2011, 02:43:00 PM

With all of the dumbing down of the PC version so the PS3 could handle the game, there isn't any reason it couldn't be cross platform.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on January 15, 2011, 03:48:14 AM

Quote from: Rich on January 14, 2011, 02:43:00 PM

With all of the dumbing down of the PC version so the PS3 could handle the game, there isn't any reason it couldn't be cross platform.

I agree. In fact, I thought the whole point was that it was going to be on the same set of servers. How strange. And totally agree about all the dumbing-down the PC version got. Yeesh.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2011, 04:19:36 PM »

I pulled the trigger on this last night, though having to now download a 2.8G patch after I downloaded all that stuff on Steam.  What server are people playing on?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2011, 05:06:59 PM »

I made a character on Public Enemies.  She is called Ghostly Archer.

One question I have.  Has anyone been able to raise their Texture Detail to something higher than Normal?  I only have Low and Normal as an option, but I have a very good system that can play everything at full details.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2011, 06:00:41 PM »

The good news is that the Final Fantasy MMO set for a march release (PS3) is at least cross-platform, and that's coming from a third party developer. You'd think Sony could make their own game cross platform.. especially when you know MMO's on consoles are a relatively new thing and if you want to keep a large install base you have to combine the two groups. If the PS3 community dries up (like EverQuest on the PS2 did pretty fast) it's going to be hard to justify that $15 monthly fee.
With every PS3 having a hard drive and getting all these updates, seems like Sony just took the 'easy' way out on this one.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2011, 01:36:14 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 15, 2011, 05:06:59 PM

Hero or Villain?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2011, 02:36:36 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 16, 2011, 01:36:14 AM

Quote from: The Grue on January 15, 2011, 05:06:59 PM

Hero or Villain?

Hero. Actually, I remade her and now she is Phantom Ranger.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2011, 03:34:20 AM »

Cool.  Grue, I will look for you and try to figure out how to add you as a friend.  That's the server I'm on.  I've got heroes and villains on that server.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2011, 04:42:40 AM »

Hmmm, well either they are exceedingly low on population caps, or else we're just not representing well in this game.  A bunch of servers are listed at "full" and "high" and I was put into a queue on a Sunday night for the Publice Enemies server.

I made a Hero named Desperitt, waiting to get in.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2011, 04:56:57 AM »

I have to say I am really enjoying the game.  It certainly has its issues, but in general, I am having a ton of fun.  Even more so because I am on a PvP server.  To me, this is the way to play a game about heroes and villains.  I like that level isn't everything in the game, too.  At level 8, I killed a level 13 villain.  At level 9, I took on 3 villains that were about my level (one may have been 7) and defeated them all.  Even when I've been outnumbered, I've been able to put up a real fight and make the battle last.

Not sure how others on the PC are playing it, but I bought a wireless XBox controller for the PC and have been playing it that way.  Seems to control well, though I will say that no matter what, chat is kind of goofy to use.  I have been trying to figure out a way to make the font smaller, but haven't had any luck.  Anyone else been able to get the font in chat to be a respectable size?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2011, 06:32:20 AM »

I passed on this one. From the beta all I got was it was bland in looks and play. the animations were off...that's it really..it was 'off' somehow. And it was dead too..no one was ever on in the beta. I deleted it before it ended. It's in no way a AAA title. More like another luke warm B- MMO that Sony can add to it's list of others under powered MMOs and players can play for one monthly fee. Would have been nice and really they should have tried a LOT harder seeing as there were already 2 other super hero mmo's out there.

But hey look, Daehawk dislikes DC Universe so it must rock!  Roll Eyes

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2011, 06:32:30 AM »

to spend another month in WoW or give DC a try before Rift......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2011, 06:48:41 AM »

yeah, i'm not much for comics and I'm fairly tempted for this. The pvp looks fast paced and I've read that you can block and dodge attacks.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 17, 2011, 06:32:20 AM

But hey look, Daehawk dislikes DC Universe so it must rock!  Roll Eyes
OMG! Daehawk dislikes this. I gotta play it! The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Nah, like I blathered earlier, I'm interested in how this shapes up in 6-9-12 months. Does it get fixes, improvements, notable content updates. Or does it go nowhere.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2011, 08:30:32 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 17, 2011, 08:18:39 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on January 17, 2011, 06:32:20 AM

But hey look, Daehawk dislikes DC Universe so it must rock!  Roll Eyes
OMG! Daehawk dislikes this. I gotta play it! The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Nah, like I blathered earlier, I'm interested in how this shapes up in 6-9-12 months. Does it get fixes, improvements, notable content updates. Or does it go nowhere.

Yeah.  I haven't played it, but this looks like a game that might be fun for about two weeks and then runs out of steam. 

While the occasional short fling can be pretty fun, I'm the kind of guy who is looking for more of a long term commitment from a MMO.  slywink

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »

If it had really good stories tied to the missions, stories that rivaled the comics they mine for material, I would be good with it since I'm an admitted comics geek...and a die hard DC fan to boot.  But most reviews seem to indicate that it's spotty in that area. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2011, 09:16:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 17, 2011, 08:41:57 PM

If it had really good stories tied to the missions, stories that rivaled the comics they mine for material, I would be good with it since I'm an admitted comics geek...and a die hard DC fan to boot.  But most reviews seem to indicate that it's spotty in that area. 

Hmm...I thought the stories WERE very tied to the missions.  Typically, each chain of mission has a story arc that ends with you facing off against one of the well-known supervillains or superheroes.  That being said, one of the reasons I play on the PvP server is that it keeps things fresh.  It's fun doing missions when you have to keep an eye out for the enemy!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »

Well, i was stressing more the quality of the stories themselves, not the mechanics of how the stories are tied to missions.  but i would definitely try the pvp as you make it sound like a lot of fun.

i'll probably get this, but only when it comes down on the price.  which brings up another question:  does the ps3 version have a code attached to each disc?  the reason i ask is that this would obviously make buying it used from gamestop someday either impossible or a pain in the ass.  if the disc has to be activated and then is attached to an account, it would be a nightmare to transfer it.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 18, 2011, 04:25:10 PM

i'll probably get this, but only when it comes down on the price.  which brings up another question:  does the ps3 version have a code attached to each disc?  the reason i ask is that this would obviously make buying it used from gamestop someday either impossible or a pain in the ass.  if the disc has to be activated and then is attached to an account, it would be a nightmare to transfer it.

checking Gamestops website the PS3 version doesn't have a pre-owned listing, so I'm guessing no since even LBP2 has one already.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2011, 05:28:50 PM »

So...I kinda went and bought the game, since I was disappointed in Star Trek, and meh...Its not out until tomorrow here in europe!!

A new one
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2011, 05:59:21 PM »

bought, installed, updated...and then....the servers are down.

I cannot find any info as to how long, as the forums are down, also.

Anyone know for how long?

PSN: MythicalMino
Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »

I am thinking of switching to a PvP server now that I've got my feet wet.

What server did everyone end up on?  (I saw a couple server names tossed around, but I wanted to know if the population levels caused people to switch.) 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »

Quote from: Frogstar on January 18, 2011, 09:38:07 PM

I am thinking of switching to a PvP server now that I've got my feet wet.

What server did everyone end up on?  (I saw a couple server names tossed around, but I wanted to know if the population levels caused people to switch.) 

It's rather random but I think there are a few people playing Heroes on Public Enemies PvP server.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2011, 04:48:23 PM »

Installed the game...2.9 GB download now on launch day in europe? This is going to be fun!

edit: nevermind - I dont think I ever saw a download this fast...1 GB in about 3 minutes???
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:57:22 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2011, 05:15:22 PM »

okay - have to add - That was the gorram damned coolest trailer I ever saw!  eek

A new one
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2011, 05:58:15 PM »

Yep, I've got several characters on the Public Enemies server, both heroes and villains (you can strangely do that on the same server).  At the moment it's my game of choice.  Been having a lot of fun, and although you can occasionally be "ganked" it's not too big a deal and makes for some adrenalin pumping questing.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »

Quote from: Fez on January 19, 2011, 05:58:15 PM

Yep, I've got several characters on the Public Enemies server, both heroes and villains (you can strangely do that on the same server).  At the moment it's my game of choice.  Been having a lot of fun, and although you can occasionally be "ganked" it's not too big a deal and makes for some adrenalin pumping questing.

Yeah, I think the reason being ganked isn't so big of a deal is it is really easy to get back in the action.  I can't wait to get back home and play again.

Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2011, 01:19:48 AM »

I am really enjoying this game.  The odd thing though is this is the 1st MMO I have played (besides EQ1) that I have no desire to PvP.  I just like the missions and feeling like a super hero.  I tried some arena PvP and it left me feeling "meh".  It did not have that super hero/comic book feeling to me.  It just felt like PvP.  Maybe I am just tired of PvP.

Anyways, I love the world so far, especially Gotham.  It's just good ol' comic book fun that has kept my attention better than CoH or CO did.

I have made a few characters but the guy I like the most is this guy, my martial arts/ice character name Cryohazard.....

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2011, 03:28:28 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 19, 2011, 10:38:58 PM

Yeah, I think the reason being ganked isn't so big of a deal is it is really easy to get back in the action.  I can't wait to get back home and play again.

Still playing your one character, or have you made some more?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2011, 05:33:08 AM »

Quote from: Fez on January 20, 2011, 03:28:28 AM

Quote from: The Grue on January 19, 2011, 10:38:58 PM

Still playing your one character, or have you made some more?

Still just the one.  I am a one-character kind of person.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:38 AM »

Yep, I've got several characters on the Public Enemies server, both heroes and villains (you can strangely do that on the same server). 

WoW does it too now.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »

This is an awesome game - So much going on, and so much fun making new characters.. My GF did comment that even though she likes women to be well endowed, this is bordering on ridicoules, and I'm so old that I actually agree...

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2011, 07:11:27 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 17, 2011, 08:41:57 PM

I noticed last night after some of the starter missions, I was presented with a movie and a comicbook story of sorts, telling me of what has just transpired and who the main protagonists where..pretty cool actually.

I'm having a lot more fun with this than I thought I would - Animations and graphics are pretty good actually, especially for how much is going on on the screen most of the time.

A new one
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: