http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 02:59:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Universe Impressions  (Read 23211 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2011, 09:05:20 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 06, 2011, 07:05:37 PM

I WAS going to pick this up on release day because I'm an unabashed DC fan boy.  But with my huge game backlog and a subscription to WoW still on my credit card each month (until I burn out again) means I should probably just wait until a sale. 

you can get 20% off at Direct2Drive this weekend.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2011, 05:10:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 07, 2011, 09:05:20 AM

I WAS going to pick this up on release day because I'm an unabashed DC fan boy.  But with my huge game backlog and a subscription to WoW still on my credit card each month (until I burn out again) means I should probably just wait until a sale. 

Thanks to buying last minute items for work from the Best Buy down the street and using my reward zone card, I've got about 25 bucks in certificates, though.  But I probably should hold off until reviews come in.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2011, 05:13:44 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 07, 2011, 05:10:48 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 07, 2011, 09:05:20 AM

Thanks to buying last minute items for work from the Best Buy down the street and using my reward zone card, I've got about 25 bucks in certificates, though.  But I probably should hold off until reviews come in.

sure, if you want to wait until no one is playing anymore  Tongue

anyways, check out Bludhaven and the Battle of the Legends from the end of the beta.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2011, 07:21:25 PM »

Is this still on track to come out on Tuesday?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 07, 2011, 07:21:25 PM

Is this still on track to come out on Tuesday?

yep.  Launch Day experience may vary though  icon_twisted

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »

a look at the Collectors Edition.

Because I can,
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »

I pre-oredered this a longtime ago, so I will probably give it a whirl.  It has one thing going for it at least -- it doesn't crash my laptop (at least not during the beta)!   icon_confused  Rift, unfortunately, which I liked in the limited beta this weekend, crashed to desktop more times than you could imagine.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »

so, who else is taking the plunge today?  I didn't grab the D2D special since I'm still plugging away at WoW but I'm feeling the pull just a bit.

also, a look at Oolong Island, where you search for tea.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:11:22 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2011, 05:16:51 PM »

I'm weak, so who knows.  I should hold off until some reviews come down the wire, but I have these best buy reward certificates just sitting here in my man purse...begging to be spent.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2011, 06:05:13 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 11, 2011, 05:16:51 PM

I'm weak, so who knows.  I should hold off until some reviews come down the wire, but I have these best buy reward certificates just sitting here in my man purse...begging to be spent.
I get those too, but you know what? We save more money if we don't buy anything at all!  icon_smile

I'd wait just because in my Forum Effect experience, outside of WoW expansions, the interest in an MMO around here (or most forums) lasts a few weeks, maybe a couple months if you're lucky. Then everyone "goes back to WoW" or "goes back to not playing mmorpgs anymore." Do I sound jaded, bitter, cynical? Of course I do.  icon_lol

I'm paying attention to this like anything, I just think for a change I'll sit on the bench and see how the rest of the unofficial GT mmorpg team feels after giving the game a thorough month-long going over. Which is more useful to know than comments during the "Ewww, Shiny!" period. If they're already bored by that point, I'll know to skip it. If they start running into entertaining stuff at the game goes on, then it might overcome my cynicism.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:08:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2011, 06:08:28 PM »

If I wait, there's also a good chance I can get it much cheaper a little further down the line.  That's what I've done for a few MMORPG's.  Get 'em cheap a year or less later and then try it out for a month with much less of a guilt factor.  I have Star Trek Online sitting here waiting to be activated and I got it for less than 10 bucks. 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 11, 2011, 06:08:28 PM

If I wait, there's also a good chance I can get it much cheaper a little further down the line.  That's what I've done for a few MMORPG's.  Get 'em cheap a year or less later and then try it out for a month with much less of a guilt factor.  I have Star Trek Online sitting here waiting to be activated and I got it for less than 10 bucks. 
See? You didn't even need a bitter cynic like me to work out the logic for you. Good job.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2011, 06:12:13 PM »

If any of you start it up, please post any Server choice info or whatever so we can hook up.  Or is this one of those games that doesn't have individual servers, I forgot.

I may or may not make it on tonight, but will definitely try to install at least.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »

I got into the beta but never really played because of WoW.  Oddly enough I am feeling the pull to get it on the PS3.  Something about a couch based MMO appeals to me.

Anyone seen any comparisons between the PC and PS3 versions?  I assume they play on different servers and the PS3 just defaults to voice chat or something.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2011, 04:53:51 AM »

I'm on server Brave New World. Hero: Tag

Word of warning... it looks like if you equip found items, your appearance changes and you can't get back your original costume... I have only finished the hero tutorial mission so far though..
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2011, 05:34:24 AM »

I have to say I'm a bit shocked there is so little interest in this game, even though I was one of the ones saying beta was just OK.  This morning in the LA Times there was a big story on how Sony spent $50 million and 5 years on this game, and were looking at competing with WoW.  Yet here it is at the end of release day and there is almost no interest here or on Wanderers, only a single player listing a server here, and I couldn't even find a thread in OO - I mean these are forums that have and will play ANYTHING that even vaguely resembles an MMO, and there's just no one lol?  Not even Velvetelvis?!?!?  What is the world coming to?  

Anyway I was just thinking this could be a disaster for Sony, this has to be the least amount of interest I've ever seen for a "major" release.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2011, 06:43:30 AM »

I stopped playing the beta on the PS3 after like 20 minutes.  It just didn't feel very good to me.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2011, 08:00:09 AM »

I picked this up and played a bit last night it is pretty good. But yeah only 2 EU servers 1 pve and 1 pvp. Looks like a very soft launch.

The costume stuff you need to go in to the inventory and lock the apperance of each item before equipping it. Then it only adds the enhancement and not change the look. However i didn't realise this until i had equpiied a few pieces. And then you can't put it back either. Bloody annoying.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »

Okay, talking to somebody who I know has the game, you can open up the menus and click on the Mask icon. From there you can change how your outfit looks even after you've put something else on.

And yes, I have little interest in the game, as mentioned before. I see this being discounted quickly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2011, 04:03:23 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 12, 2011, 05:34:24 AM

I have to say I'm a bit shocked there is so little interest in this game, even though I was one of the ones saying beta was just OK.  This morning in the LA Times there was a big story on how Sony spent $50 million and 5 years on this game, and were looking at competing with WoW.  Yet here it is at the end of release day and there is almost no interest here or on Wanderers, only a single player listing a server here, and I couldn't even find a thread in OO - I mean these are forums that have and will play ANYTHING that even vaguely resembles an MMO, and there's just no one lol?  Not even Velvetelvis?!?!?  What is the world coming to?  

Anyway I was just thinking this could be a disaster for Sony, this has to be the least amount of interest I've ever seen for a "major" release.

It is kinda strange. IMO the game has two things working against it.

1. Historically, MMOG's are exclusive to the PC market with just a few exceptions, but DCUO looks, feels, and plays like a console game. So the audience is either PC players feeling like a fish out of water with a controller based input system or console players that are unfamiliar with subscription based MMOGs.

2. Something about it just smells incomplete, like its being released handicapped, or is less than what we expect from a full featured MMOG. This may just be a stigma left over from other superhero MMOG's, but on the surface it doesn't really look much different than Champions Online and the internet collective already decided that game sucks.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2011, 04:30:35 PM »

Keep in mind that many of us feel "burned" by past big-budget (or even medium-budget) MMO launches.

I'm very happy with where Star Trek Online is now, and upcoming stuff like The Foundry for sure -- but I was so disappointed with the game after a pretty fun open beta experience, that I quit the game cold turkey for maybe 7 months or more (despite a lifetime subscription). I felt burned by the Age of Conan launch experience, although I floated back a couple of times and briefly enjoyed it again. So honestly I feel burned, and I'd rather see what you guys think about this for a while then step off the plank again, so to speak.

And probably many of us PC gamer types are uncomfortable with the idea of such a console-y mmorpg. I would like to try this at some point if there's a free trial or limited-play demo thing down the road.

As far as being incomplete, that seems like an MMO tradition. I loved City of Heroes right from its April 2004 launch (I like to point out to people it was perhaps the last major mmorpg launch that didn't have the 800-lb. WoW Gorilla on its back because WoW hadn't released yet), but at launch it had no PvP whatsoever, and several well-nigh unplayable zones (Faultline etc.) that were eventually completely revamped years later. Champions still seems to try to be adding enough content to get to where most of us wanted it to be at launch.

I've tried various mmorpgs that tried to have everything and cater to all tastes, and usually what they'd end up with is a little bit of everything but not enough of anything. My guess is the first year of DC U. will really tell the tale -- whether they regularly update the game, fill the perceived gaps, and add more content. A bad or so-so launch can always be rescued, but it takes an awful lot of hard work to play catchup.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:38:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2011, 05:54:34 PM »

Well, after tons of hurdles with the worst registration management of any online company, I am now in game.  The game has a lot of potential, especially in the PvP group as leveling doesn't create as much a disparity as it traditionally does in other games.  I created a villain, and while I was doing a public quest at level 4 with another level 4 character, an 8th level hero decided to try to kill us.  However, we were more than capable of disposing him.  

The trick with this game will be to think about it in different terms.  It is more action oriented so combos need to be considered.  Up until this point, though, I don't see anything that can't be done easily with the mouse.  The chat interface is the one thing I see that is geared heavily for the console market as you need to press a button ("o") to bring up the social screen.  This is clearly designed to try to balance the playfield with console players.

So far the servers seem pretty populated, especially the PvP ones which I started on.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:56:35 PM by Fez » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2011, 06:11:11 PM »

is the PvP open world, ie you can get jumped anywhere by someone from the other side?  or is it limited to certain areas or even a setting where you can flag your PvP status on and off?

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2011, 06:22:20 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on January 12, 2011, 08:00:09 AM

I picked this up and played a bit last night it is pretty good. But yeah only 2 EU servers 1 pve and 1 pvp. Looks like a very soft launch.

they only had those two servers for the EU Beta as well,surprised it has stayed the same saying that though the official release date at least in the UK is not until Friday

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2011, 06:36:40 PM »

I bought it pre-release and have played and enjoyed it enough to cover the purchase. That said, it isn't an MMO I'd subscribe to. It is a console MMO, it is gimped by what they can make the console side do. On top of that they made some content decisions that are just bizarre for DC game (i.e. choosing power sets based on the wow factor rather than what people would expect in DC).  It looks a lot like the other supers games and plays like a console game. It just doesn't have any staying power for me.  I haven't decided what I should do with it yet.

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 12, 2011, 04:30:35 PM

Keep in mind that many of us feel "burned" by past big-budget (or even medium-budget) MMO launches.

This.

I'm find myself pretty interested in DC Universe.  I'd like a good superhero MMO, and I think the DC setting looks interesting.  But after Age of Conan, Warhammer, Champions, STO and APB I feel pretty burned by diving into these titles head first.  I've heard good things about this one, but I'm still hesitating.  I think the recent release of Cataclysm probably factors in as well.  It looks like a lot of people (myself included) are still going through that content.  Plus 2 weeks after christmas, when a lot of people aren't ready to drop money on a game, is probably poor timing.  

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2011, 06:42:25 PM »

I can see why various individuals are hesitant, and I myself would have cancelled my preorder if I didn't want the action figure and artbook, but just as a conglomerate (I'm talking Wanderers, GT and OO specifically), we have a pool of like 200ish (maybe more?) pretty avid MMORPGers who love to jump in the next big thing.  Even smaller releases I'd say between us we generally could get around 10 people playing.  A major title like this, just based on history I would have guessed around 50 people at release (as a reference we had over 100 in AoC in the first week, and a lot more than that for Warhammer).  Seems like maybe it's just the timing is remarkably bad.

Anyway, it took a while to install and download, but I did create a character and play through the beginning portion again last night.  The intro movie is just absolutely fantastic, I almost wish they had spent the $50 million just animating an entire movie with this story.  The beginner tutorial section is also very well done.  I don't have much in the way of expectations given the low turnout, but I think it will be a nice diversion until Rift (or something else) comes along.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 12, 2011, 06:11:11 PM

is the PvP open world, ie you can get jumped anywhere by someone from the other side?  or is it limited to certain areas or even a setting where you can flag your PvP status on and off?

On the PvP servers, which are quite popular, the PvP is open world.  Makes for some excitement as I do missions in the city.  Also gives you a reason to use the environment as cover -- you can actually use and destroy many objects in the city.  I was hiding behind a fence from a "hero" only to have the fence blown away as he fired at me.

It's kind of a bit like Rift at the early going where you have very few abilities until level 5 or so.  Once you hit level 5 things start to open up a bit more.  The big difference is that many skills are triggered as combos rather than as powers on your action bar.  This keeps the action bar clutter down, but means you have to keep in mind what combos you have at your disposal.  The combos are easy to pull off with a mouse and keyboard, but that's where the skill in the game lies (as well as knowing how to use your environment).

Ritt, what server are you on?  My feeling is that this game is going to be trickier than most to socialize in so "guilds" or "leagues" are a must!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:59:02 PM by Fez » Logged
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »

Quote from: Fez on January 12, 2011, 06:55:57 PM

Ritt, what server are you on?  My feeling is that this game is going to be trickier than most to socialize in so "guilds" or "leagues" are a must!

I just joined Brave New World, which was the only one anyone here posted about.  I assume it was PvE only though.

What server are you on?
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2011, 11:08:26 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 12, 2011, 09:36:20 PM

Quote from: Fez on January 12, 2011, 06:55:57 PM

I just joined Brave New World, which was the only one anyone here posted about.  I assume it was PvE only though.

What server are you on?

Yes, it's PVE. I tend to avoid PVP... I end up playing a lot of MMO's as single player games.. smile
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2011, 11:14:50 PM »

Thinking of picking it up for PS3.  Did anyone grab the PS3 version yet?
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2011, 12:26:34 AM »

I picked it up for the PS3 but didn't have time last night to finish all of the updates.  Hopefully, I'll get some time in tonight.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2011, 02:22:49 AM »

Still kinda tempted.  Any word on the lore and story elements in it?  It would be cool if it had good comic stories based on the source material.  Or is it just Superman telling you to kill 20 bad guys and collect their "parts" slywink

Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2011, 03:47:22 AM »

I also mentioned to a gaming buddy of mine earlier today that this game just did not seem to make any sort of launch day splash. I've seen more excitement from AA and indie releases then this triple A title. I was seriously contemplating picking up the game today but after reading through some more info and various reviews last night I decided not to at this time. Like others I am still playing around with Cataclysm plus Rift is releasing in about 5 weeks and I was heavily impressed with the game after being in the beta this past weekend. If Im really jones-ing for a superhero fix I can drop 15 bucks to open up COH for a month rather then spend $50 for DCUO.

Honestly I think the real deal killers for this though were the reports of how "action" oriented the control scheme is for this game plus the limited number of powers you can slot at any given time. I like action games and I like MMO's I just don't want them together, guess maybe thats why I've never been a Reeses fan.

So Upcoming Rift release + control scheme means DCUO is the first MMO I've ever passed on.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2011, 04:29:20 AM »

Quote from: faide on January 13, 2011, 02:22:49 AM

Still kinda tempted.  Any word on the lore and story elements in it?  It would be cool if it had good comic stories based on the source material.  Or is it just Superman telling you to kill 20 bad guys and collect their "parts" slywink

Ritt, I'm on the Public Enemies PvP server at the moment.  So far its been fun in my limited playtime.  There is a lot of backstory, and they did about as good a job as you could do at trying to explain why all of us superheroes have come into being.  There are several opening cutscenes both before the tutorial and at the end that suck you in.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2011, 06:49:27 PM »

Quote from: Abaddon on January 13, 2011, 03:47:22 AM

I also mentioned to a gaming buddy of mine earlier today that this game just did not seem to make any sort of launch day splash. I've seen more excitement from AA and indie releases then this triple A title.

Not sure what your definition of triple-A title in gaming is, but DC definitely isn't one.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »

Quote from: Fez on January 13, 2011, 04:29:20 AM

Quote from: faide on January 13, 2011, 02:22:49 AM

Still kinda tempted.  Any word on the lore and story elements in it?  It would be cool if it had good comic stories based on the source material.  Or is it just Superman telling you to kill 20 bad guys and collect their "parts" slywink

Ritt, I'm on the Public Enemies PvP server at the moment.  So far its been fun in my limited playtime.  There is a lot of backstory, and they did about as good a job as you could do at trying to explain why all of us superheroes have come into being.  There are several opening cutscenes both before the tutorial and at the end that suck you in.

Agreed on that.  In fact this is the first time in a long time I can recall where an MMO explicitly explains why there are so many uber people out there, and it's tied directly to the opening cutscenes.  I still wonder though how this can play out in an MMORPG, where inherently the game is designed to never end, yet you have a storyline and game setup that kind of demands a resolution.  

- - -

Regarding the title's status as "Triple A" I don't know exactly what's meant by that, but the fact is it's from a major company (Sony) with a top tier license (DC Comics), the graphics are fantastic, artwork is great and true to Jim Lee's classic styling, the opening cutscene is awesome, the voiceovers are mostly from professional actors, etc etc - I'm not sure what else is required to be considered a "top tier" release.  Players, of course, lol.  But that's not the point.  The fact is with as much money spent and the people behind it, it was clearly intended to be as big as, say, SWG.

- --

Ultimately I'd have to agree with what was said above, the timing of release was just poor or bad luck.  Too many WoW fans are still obsessed with Cataclysm, and then the ones that aren't are distracted by Rift and the Rift beta.  With CoH and Champs already available, this one really needed to stand apart, which it failed to do in beta.  The DC Comics license may also be weaker than anticipated, with really not as much pull in the past couple of years compared to Marvel, which has had a steady release of successful hits.  Maybe Green Lantern will help generate some excitement.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:09:12 PM by rittchard » Logged
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2011, 07:07:47 PM »

As I've really been enjoying myself in the game now that I'm past the horrible registration issues that plagued the launch, I can tell you that this is a game that should be played on PvP servers.  It's not surprising that they just added two new PvP servers due to demand. 

Due to the travel powers, it is fairly easy to get away unless you get jumped.  But, this often can lead to a bit of cat and mouse chases if you or your opponent really wants to finish the "kill" so-to-speak. 

I spent some time in game last night and I was surprised to see how much time has passed.  I had some rather adrenalin pumping chases where I was soaring around buildings and such to try to and get a breather to regain some health.  Reminded me of the comics in more ways than one.

So far, I enjoy this more than Champions Online, even though Champions has more character customization at the outset.  This game makes it up with loot rewards that you can choose to have change your appearance or not.  Very flexible system.  I enjoyed CoH back in the day, and this compares favorably to that, with the added bonus of the DC Universe lore.  You can press the enter key to enter things in the chat channel, such as emotes and chat.

By the way, I have a hero on the "Public Enemies" PvP server named "Splinter" if anyone wants to group up.  I am not in a League at this point.  I also have a villain on the server named "Vespyra."  So you can create toons on both sides on the same server it appears.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:11:13 PM by Fez » Logged
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2011, 01:06:43 AM »

Picked it up for PS3 at lunch.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2011, 02:38:38 AM »

Forums may not be talking about it much, but it seems to be selling.  I tried to pick it up at lunch today, sold out everywhere I went...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: