http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 06:24:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Universe Impressions  (Read 21967 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »

Though I'd still like to try it, I'm feeling better that "GT Forum Effect" doesn't affect me much any more.  icon_smile I think most MMOs benefit from a lot of updates/fixes their first 6-9-12 months after launch, often in response to specific player feedback (and with AoC and STO, it seems simply jettisoning the launch producer in favor of someone with a better grasp of updating and improving an MMO), but I am left feeling sometimes that open beta -- whether it's a true months-long open beta or this "2 weeks and a cloud of dust" before launch malarkey -- simply doesn't accomplish anything.

Often it's the brave launch audience crowd's feedback and complaints that seem to turn a game around (if the devs address it, rather than ignore it), even if a lot of those players end up not wanting to stick around to see the improvements. Ironic, no?  icon_smile Alas, I'm not so brave any more...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:28:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 12, 2011, 04:31:18 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 11, 2011, 02:49:27 PM

I agree with Raz.  I think in a year or so, it will be worth revisiting.  Hopefully in that time they'll add more to it so it's not a pale imitation of an action/rpg.  the depth just isn't there right now.

And that is part of the problem.  I may re-visit this game, but that's it. I will only be visiting.  If a game can't get their act together for release they've lost me as a long term regular customer.  I'm sure there are others like me. AOC, DC, Vangaurd, SWG- I've gone back to all of these and only Vanguard had any potential to keep me (however lost out to something new).

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2011, 11:04:40 PM »

Blackjack summarizes where I am at with MMOs very well.  You all that have played DC Online see potential....I am tired of playing these games at launch so I can discover that it might be good in a year...waste of my time and money as i see it now.  Part of it is the economic downturn....i have finally learned to exert a little discipline in my buying.

Why try DCO when WoW is keeping me so entertained and I enjoy LotRO from time to time and even Conan though I doubt i will renew my subscription to Conan this time around.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2011, 07:01:20 AM »

Quote from: Jaddison on February 12, 2011, 11:04:40 PM

Blackjack summarizes where I am at with MMOs very well.  You all that have played DC Online see potential....I am tired of playing these games at launch so I can discover that it might be good in a year...waste of my time and money as i see it now.  Part of it is the economic downturn....i have finally learned to exert a little discipline in my buying.

Why try DCO when WoW is keeping me so entertained and I enjoy LotRO from time to time and even Conan though I doubt i will renew my subscription to Conan this time around.

This is why I like beta's, you can see if the company has their act together regarding fixing things and decide if the game is worth your time before you have to put money on it.  I'm sure its a bad idea for the company (unless they use a pay to play beta) since all it does is give people excuses not to buy.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2011, 01:35:25 PM »

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/02/12/half-of-total-dc-universe-online-subscribers-are-on-ps3/

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2011, 06:45:59 PM »

FTA:
When Sony Online Entertainment announced their new MMO, DC Universe Online, many wondered how it would perform on the PS3, seeing as we have barley seen anyone attempt an MMO for the PS3. According to the game’s director, Chris Cao, and estimated 45 percent of the game’s community is playing the PS3 version while the remaining 55 percent went with PC release.
Assuming the game has sold well on PC, this is a great achievement for DC Universe Online as one would normally not associate console gaming with an MMO. Cao notes that PS3 users play the game more often than those on PC. The PS3 gaming sessions tend to be shorter but more often, where as those on PC tend to play for a number of hours in a single sitting.
Cao assures us there’s still plenty more in store for DC Universe Online players, with lots of DLC on its way.

That is unfortunate pc users, however probably great for console users. This will push more MMO developers to the dual pc/console release for financial reasons. One of the weakest things about this game is how much their developing it for the PS3 detracted from what the game could be on a PC. Unless games come out with content good enough to make up for the consolitis they generally suffer then we'll continue to see companies producing inferior junk.  Unfortunately MMO's don't lend themselves to great writing as well as other games (Good & Evil for is a great example, so is Psychonaughts is also for games with great content that survive the consolitis inherent in dual releasing).

DC was fun for about a month, I don't regret paying for the box.  It isn't worth a sub though as there are plenty of better MMO's out there and many in the works. This is only good if you need a 'supers' fix.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on February 13, 2011, 06:45:59 PM

FTA:
When Sony Online Entertainment announced their new MMO, DC Universe Online, many wondered how it would perform on the PS3, seeing as we have barley seen anyone attempt an MMO for the PS3. According to the game’s director, Chris Cao, and estimated 45 percent of the game’s community is playing the PS3 version while the remaining 55 percent went with PC release.
Assuming the game has sold well on PC, this is a great achievement for DC Universe Online as one would normally not associate console gaming with an MMO. Cao notes that PS3 users play the game more often than those on PC. The PS3 gaming sessions tend to be shorter but more often, where as those on PC tend to play for a number of hours in a single sitting.
Cao assures us there’s still plenty more in store for DC Universe Online players, with lots of DLC on its way.

That is unfortunate pc users, however probably great for console users. This will push more MMO developers to the dual pc/console release for financial reasons. One of the weakest things about this game is how much their developing it for the PS3 detracted from what the game could be on a PC. Unless games come out with content good enough to make up for the consolitis they generally suffer then we'll continue to see companies producing inferior junk.  Unfortunately MMO's don't lend themselves to great writing as well as other games (Good & Evil for is a great example, so is Psychonaughts is also for games with great content that survive the consolitis inherent in dual releasing).

DC was fun for about a month, I don't regret paying for the box.  It isn't worth a sub though as there are plenty of better MMO's out there and many in the works. This is only good if you need a 'supers' fix.

I am still playing DC, although I'm not someone who has a lot of time these days to sit for long stretches.  If you're a hard-core gamer, you will reach level 30 in no time, and then you will be forced to wait for the monthly content updates.  So far it's probably my favorite superheroes MMORPG for its fast-paced action.  It's a good contrast to the other MMORPGs out there, and nice for short sessions.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »

you dont even need to be a hardcore player to reach 30 in no time.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2011, 12:33:30 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on February 13, 2011, 11:55:44 PM

Not if you are constantly being killed over and over again the quest areas by level 30s on a PvP server.  I am taking forever to level because I can't get any questing done due to running to the spot, immediately being killed, respawning, running back, ad nauseum.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2011, 01:50:08 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 14, 2011, 12:33:30 AM

Not if you are constantly being killed over and over again the quest areas by level 30s on a PvP server.  I am taking forever to level because I can't get any questing done due to running to the spot, immediately being killed, respawning, running back, ad nauseum.

what made you think running back to the same spot would end up differently? slywink

You have to approach everything differently on a pvp server in any game, and DC is no different in that capacity.  Sometimes spending time somewhere else grinding or simply playing a different game/character is required unless you have the friend support to stomp them down while you do your quests.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 14, 2011, 02:25:20 AM »

so do another quest?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 14, 2011, 02:50:02 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on February 14, 2011, 02:25:20 AM

so do another quest?

the problem being, and I think you mentioned this before, sometimes there is so much ganking going on all over the place that it's impossible to do any quests.  on the other hand, if you are indeed going back again and again to suffer the same fate it seems kind of masochistic.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 14, 2011, 03:52:24 AM »

I don't know, I never had much of a problem with camping. I was like grue and just kept going back and it doesn't work. Goto the other city and start some quests there. You should have a nice mix of quests for both gotham and metropolis.

I started a new char. A sorc and bow and bow is crazy fun so far. Not sure I dig flight though, might remake for aerobatics. Maybe I need some movement skills first.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 14, 2011, 06:54:58 AM »

so do another quest?

There actually arent that many quests you can do in the first 15 levels or so. Meaning, one probably has the choice between two different quests. If you are unlucky enough both are gankplaces, well...then you are out of luck

A new one
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 14, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »

Yeah, I've head that happen once, but usually I can avoid it by being cagey.  Of course, it helps to have some stealth abilities such as mental's disguise, gadgets' stealth, or nature's dog form.  Absent that, have some sort of escape plan ready.  Most of my characters have at least one ability that allows them to escape damage for some time and I can often escape that way.  Acrobatics has the superfast wall grapple climb that can be used in combat to escape.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 14, 2011, 04:15:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 14, 2011, 02:50:02 AM

so do another quest?

the problem being, and I think you mentioned this before, sometimes there is so much ganking going on all over the place that it's impossible to do any quests.  on the other hand, if you are indeed going back again and again to suffer the same fate it seems kind of masochistic.

Exactly.  Sometimes everything is camped.  However, in my recent session I was indeed being stubborn and going to the same place over and over.  I guess I don't get why a level 30 gets any fun out of killing a level 12.  I could see if you got some kind of reward or something, but otherwise, aren't there better things to do?  Maybe not and maybe this is a problem with DC Universe Online.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 14, 2011, 04:30:50 PM »

any game where someone can camp someone else and they keep coming back is going to have someone doing just that.  I've done it when bored before in other games as well.  I just keep telling myself that surely the guy isn't going to be stupid/stubborn enough to come back when I'm still here?  However they almost always do.  I do it as a study in human idiocy sometimes slywink

It's like putting your hand in a fire, getting burnt, then figuring the fire can't possibly still be hot after that, and doing it again.  If the fire could smile, it probably would.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 14, 2011, 04:41:43 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 14, 2011, 04:30:50 PM

any game where someone can camp someone else and they keep coming back is going to have someone doing just that.  I've done it when bored before in other games as well.  I just keep telling myself that surely the guy isn't going to be stupid/stubborn enough to come back when I'm still here?  However they almost always do.  I do it as a study in human idiocy sometimes slywink

Honestly, I would say the study on human idiocy is more on display in the lvl 30 guy who continuously kills lvl 5 guys over and over again.   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 14, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 14, 2011, 04:41:43 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on February 14, 2011, 04:30:50 PM

Honestly, I would say the study on human idiocy is more on display in the lvl 30 guy who continuously kills lvl 5 guys over and over again.   icon_wink

Exactly.  I think the reason I go back is the hope the guy got bored.  I've never done that to someone in a game, so I don't get the mentality.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 15, 2011, 05:13:32 AM »

this is probably already known, but don't buy a used PS3 copy if you see one.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 15, 2011, 07:29:59 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 14, 2011, 06:54:58 AM

so do another quest?

There actually arent that many quests you can do in the first 15 levels or so. Meaning, one probably has the choice between two different quests. If you are unlucky enough both are gankplaces, well...then you are out of luck

i dont remember that being the case at all. there are other quests outside the main mentors. if you dont want to the chance to be ganked why are you playing a pvp server in the first place though? bitching about an avoidable problem is ridiculous. this is why wow's world pvp died because blizzard kept catering to the whiners.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 15, 2011, 12:29:45 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on February 15, 2011, 07:29:59 AM

so do another quest?

i dont remember that being the case at all. there are other quests outside the main mentors. if you dont want to the chance to be ganked why are you playing a pvp server in the first place though? bitching about an avoidable problem is ridiculous. this is why wow's world pvp died because blizzard kept catering to the whiners.

I would say there is a great divide between the occasional ganking and getting camped at the quest area.  One can add tension and make the game more exiting.  The other one is extremely annoying.  Kudos on labeling him a whiner for having the audacity to say getting camped at the quest area sucks.

morlac00 on PSN
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 15, 2011, 03:25:12 PM »

I actually did switch to a non PvP server.  However, i think it's ridiculous to say that you're really experiencing PvP in the situation that made some of us leave the PvP servers.  Establishing zones of somewhat equal levels where actual skill comes into play makes it PvP (just an example of what could be done).  Being level 30 and continuously camping and ganking lvl 5 alts is not even remotely PvP as defined by anyone over 8 unless you consider clicking on your mouse repeatedly without having to pay attention to the screen a display of skill.  Perhaps for those folks we should just establish "kids only servers"?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 15, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 15, 2011, 03:25:12 PM

I actually did switch to a non PvP server.  However, i think it's ridiculous to say that you're really experiencing PvP in the situation that made some of us leave the PvP servers.  Establishing zones of somewhat equal levels where actual skill comes into play makes it PvP (just an example of what could be done).  Being level 30 and continuously camping and ganking lvl 5 alts is not even remotely PvP as defined by anyone over 8 unless you consider clicking on your mouse repeatedly without having to pay attention to the screen a display of skill.  Perhaps for those folks we should just establish "kids only servers"?

Right, this is what I am saying.  I want to be on a PvP server because I want some excitement, but being beaten down constantly by people who are way higher level than me isn't what I was looking for.  I've played on PvP servers in other games and I haven't really run into this sort of thing.  It's weird that this is the first game I've experienced this on to this extent.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2011, 11:52:38 PM »

If I were a DC Dev...

Have some sort of AI on the PVP servers that recognizes when a high level is camping and ganking low level spawn points/quest areas. Once it detects this it spawns Superman who comes blazing it at an insane speed and punches the high level 3/4 of the way across the map.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 16, 2011, 12:09:11 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on February 15, 2011, 07:29:59 AM

so do another quest?

U mad bro?

A new one
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 16, 2011, 11:29:13 PM »

Zero Punctuation's review is up. NSFW language, naturally and, also naturally, Yahtzee didn't care much for it.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 22, 2011, 11:58:45 PM »

first monthly update info.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 07, 2011, 05:26:04 AM »

Anyone still playing? Any improvements to the chat system, menus etc. that seemed to irk PC gamers?

PC Gamer fairly raved about it (88/100), although I don't know what to think when one reviewer raves about the questing and another trashes it. It's as if they didn't play the same game.  icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 07, 2011, 12:54:19 PM »

I left after two weeks.  I consider the game the biggest disappoint of 2011 so far.  It's an online fighting game with very little depth, imho.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 07, 2011, 03:10:05 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 07, 2011, 12:54:19 PM

I left after two weeks.  I consider the game the biggest disappoint of 2011 so far.  It's an online fighting game with very little depth, imho.

same here.  the fighting I didn't mind but the quest line boss fights were boring as hell.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 07, 2011, 09:29:48 PM »

such a shame - it was a great game the first few weeks actually.

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 07, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »

I guess my question is if you guys who played this and enjoyed it short-term think a year of content updates and UI improvements will shape it into something you'd want to revisit, or is it not salvageable, in your opinion? I'd be tempted to pose that in the form of a forum poll but there'd be no way to tell if participants had actually played the game or not.  icon_smile

While I try not to run out and buy MMO's opening month anymore (knock on wood), I'm trying to keep an open mind about things.  I'd like to try this and perhaps Rift at some point. This seems more in my wheelhouse so to speak, as I never warmed up to WoW (I did buy it but like you guys with this game I left during the free month unlike a few million other people. icon_razz). Clearly there's a lot more enthusiasm for Rift, but if that's just because it's closer to WoW in style (Rifts and class flexibility notwithstanding), that wouldn't necessarily make it my kind of game given my weird "swimming against the tide" tastes.  icon_smile

But, heck, I would like to try them both at some point. I'll holler if I do.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 08, 2011, 04:02:37 AM »

I'm still playing DC.  It's a nice diversion from Rift.  I think a big part of the problem is that DC is a very casually oriented game, at least until you get to 30.  Even "half" hardcore gamers can get to level 30 in no time, but I play in such short spurts I still don't have a level 30 yet.  Rift is a much more WoW oriented game, so it's nice to bounce back to DC for some action when I want to.  Plus, I always loved the DC lore as a kid, so I'm still getting a kick out of the storylines.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 08, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »

Chat system and UI drove me away after my first free month.  Will come back at some point.  There is a lot to like there especially if you play it more casually.  I should have known better and do have buyer's remorse jumping in at launch and paying full price.  However, I still plan on coming back for a 2-3 month run at some point. 

morlac00 on PSN
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 17, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »

The bad news is that when I do log in it seems like my server is dead.  There is hardly anything on the auction house anymore.  I'm thinking about starting a new character on Public Enemies, which is the only server that has a medium population as far as the PC servers go.  This game was just designed for the casual player in mind as far as leveling goes, and all the hardcore players left after the free month.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 17, 2011, 11:13:30 PM »

I've noticed that on the server I was on as well.  It's a ghost town, no one around anymore.  So many people hit 30 within the first few days I'm sure they pretty much burned through everything there was and left.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 18, 2011, 02:14:57 PM »

...next stop:  server consolidations.

If they reboot this and add at least a little bit of depth, I would consider coming back.  First thing they'd need to do is fire the guys who worked on the original.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 18, 2011, 06:44:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 18, 2011, 02:14:57 PM

...next stop:  server consolidations.

If they reboot this and add at least a little bit of depth, I would consider coming back.  First thing they'd need to do is fire the guys who worked on the original.

Oh, I don't know.  The game was pretty good from a lore perspective (although the Valentine's Day content was stupid, imho).  That being said, the fact that I'm limited to one action bar on a PC really sucked as I leveled up and got more skills and toys to play with.  Yeah, I know you can switch loadouts, but that is a cumbersome mechanic.  The integration of a console and PC MMORPG was a failure if you ask me.  Based on what I've seen, their main market is console gamers at this point, and PC gamers have abandoned the game in droves, likely because they didn't want to keep doing raids after they hit 30.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 18, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »

I was a huge DC comic dork back in the day, so I'm sure a lot of my vitriol is more emotional than logical.  I really wanted a deep, detailed MMO based on decades of comic lore...what I got was a reskinned Tekken with some superficial comic book stories attached. 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: