http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 04:28:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darkfall: finally, a 7 day trial plus returning players can get 14 days free.  (Read 3017 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:20:23 PM »

but it'll cost you a buck.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:22:55 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:31:11 AM »

I highly recommend Val Roth's accelerated character development guide for new players.

If you have any other questions or need help I'm "Chersk Bloodthirst" in game.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 06:44:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 24, 2010, 11:20:23 PM

Yeah, I'm happy they gave a free trial, but what's up with the $1 charge?

I use these 7 day trials to see how the game will run on my system.  Sure, $1 is nothing, but it's still suspect.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 07:12:43 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on February 28, 2010, 06:44:30 PM

I use these 7 day trials to see how the game will run on my system.  Sure, $1 is nothing, but it's still suspect.

I think one of the devs on the forums said it was to prevent thousands of gold sellers, etc from flooding the free trial and chat and whatever else they could do.  I think there are easier ways (no chat, no trade, no mail, etc) for trial accounts but if it works then why not.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »

Quote from: ericb on February 28, 2010, 07:12:43 PM

Quote from: MaxSteele on February 28, 2010, 06:44:30 PM

I think one of the devs on the forums said it was to prevent thousands of gold sellers, etc from flooding the free trial and chat and whatever else they could do.  I think there are easier ways (no chat, no trade, no mail, etc) for trial accounts but if it works then why not.

Then the gold sellers use stolen credit cards.....

It's just like piracy.  No amount of prevention will keep people from doing it who want to.  It only hinders the legitimate people.
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 11:27:28 AM »

...and the only thing more certain than that is people will always bitch.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on February 28, 2010, 09:41:22 PM

It's just like piracy.  No amount of prevention will keep people from doing it who want to.  It only hinders the legitimate people.

I guess you could say the same thing about law enforcement IRL. Does that mean we would be better off without police?
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on March 01, 2010, 03:02:55 PM

Quote from: MaxSteele on February 28, 2010, 09:41:22 PM

I guess you could say the same thing about law enforcement IRL. Does that mean we would be better off without police?

Yeah, except the people playing games aren't getting killed because of gold farming and piracy....
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 03:20:22 PM »

Anyone do the trial and have impressions?

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 04:50:27 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on March 03, 2010, 03:20:22 PM

haven't had a chance, was trying to finish up a couple of games and now it looks like I'm being sucked into Bad Company 2 for a bit.  just saw a blurb that DF is officially a year old, can't believe it's been a year already.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 05:15:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 03, 2010, 04:50:27 PM

Quote from: Hotfreak on March 03, 2010, 03:20:22 PM

haven't had a chance, was trying to finish up a couple of games and now it looks like I'm being sucked into Bad Company 2 for a bit.  just saw a blurb that DF is officially a year old, can't believe it's been a year already.
I'm going to give it a whirl soon.  I know I can't really invest in an MMO right now, but I'm always curious.  Just trying to find the right time.  DF seems like it might have some fresh idea kernels in it.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 01:11:05 AM »

I downloaded the game today, patched it all up, and created a character.

I got into the game, set it up to a point where I could have better than 20 frames per second, and looked around a bit.  I took 2 quests from an NPC to kill 4 goblins and collect 4 axes.  I went out to the area marked on my map where goblins are supposed to be.  There was a well-armored player already there, killing every goblin that appeared.  Then I logged off.

I may not return.
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 02:25:43 AM »

I got it downloaded a couple days ago, but my experience was just about the same, except i  went to where the goblins were and got attacked by 3-4 at a time and ended up dying repeatedly and messily. I will not return either.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 04:26:13 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on March 04, 2010, 01:11:05 AM

I took 2 quests from an NPC to kill 4 goblins and collect 4 axes.  I went out to the area marked on my map where goblins are supposed to be.  There was a well-armored player already there, killing every goblin that appeared. 

What were you expecting in a hardcore PvP game?  An instanced environment where you can do quests at your leisure with no competition or danger?
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 05:29:59 PM »

I can't speak for them but I have expectations that just starting out I just MIGHT be able to get my feet on the ground and get used to the system for just a wee bit.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 05:55:20 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on March 04, 2010, 05:29:59 PM

I can't speak for them but I have expectations that just starting out I just MIGHT be able to get my feet on the ground and get used to the system for just a wee bit.

Carebear  icon_biggrin

Ale
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 05:56:36 PM »

I heard they have noob protection for the first 24 hours.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »

Quote from: skystride on March 04, 2010, 04:26:13 PM

I took 2 quests from an NPC to kill 4 goblins and collect 4 axes.  I went out to the area marked on my map where goblins are supposed to be.  There was a well-armored player already there, killing every goblin that appeared.  

What were you expecting in a hardcore PvP game?  An instanced environment where you can do quests at your leisure with no competition or danger?

What should one do to avoid that situation, then? If that is what one should expect, the game deserves the player base it will have.

Ale
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 05:59:01 PM »

Quote from: skystride on March 04, 2010, 04:26:13 PM

I took 2 quests from an NPC to kill 4 goblins and collect 4 axes.  I went out to the area marked on my map where goblins are supposed to be.  There was a well-armored player already there, killing every goblin that appeared. 

What were you expecting in a hardcore PvP game?  An instanced environment where you can do quests at your leisure with no competition or danger?

I'm with jaddison, let me learn how to equip my equipment and swing a weapon before i get slaughtered. I am a EXPERIENCED mmo player. I have played almost every one of them. This one SUCKS. Sorry if that offends you.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 06:14:10 PM »

Quote from: Goldchamp on March 04, 2010, 05:59:01 PM

I'm with jaddison, let me learn how to equip my equipment and swing a weapon before i get slaughtered. I am a EXPERIENCED mmo player. I have played almost every one of them. This one SUCKS. Sorry if that offends you.

I don't even play the game so I'm not offended.  I did play the beta though and I didn't find it too difficult to figure out how to kill the goblins.  The UI was annoying but I figured out how to equip/use stuff.

As to how you survive in a hardcore PvP game, typically you make friends, join a guild.  If you must solo, you hide in some corner of the map where you hope a gank squad won't find you.
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 06:49:53 PM »

Quote from: skystride on March 04, 2010, 06:14:10 PM

Quote from: Goldchamp on March 04, 2010, 05:59:01 PM

I don't even play the game so I'm not offended.  I did play the beta though and I didn't find it too difficult to figure out how to kill the goblins.  The UI was annoying but I figured out how to equip/use stuff.

As to how you survive in a hardcore PvP game, typically you make friends, join a guild.  If you must solo, you hide in some corner of the map where you hope a gank squad won't find you.

Oh I could kill a goblin or 2 just fine it was the 6 that came from across the town to jump on my back. Like I said, the game needs alot of work if its gonna do any good.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 07:34:17 PM »

Why am I going to stay around and "make" friends if I can't even get started?  At least WoW had some gank free starter zones on PvP servers.

This business model like the FFXI one astound me but to each his own...at least the free trial filled it's mission for me
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 07:15:52 AM »

No, this has nothing to do with it being a hardcore PvP game.

The first quest you receive in an MMO should not be spawn-camped by a higher level person killing the entire camp.

That sets the precedent for what the rest of the entire game is going to be like. 

I'm just glad it happened in the first 10 minutes so I didn't waste anymore time.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 11:47:05 AM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on March 05, 2010, 07:15:52 AM

No, this has nothing to do with it being a hardcore PvP game.

The first quest you receive in an MMO should not be spawn-camped by a higher level person killing the entire camp.

That sets the precedent for what the rest of the entire game is going to be like. 

I'm just glad it happened in the first 10 minutes so I didn't waste anymore time.

This is it exactly.  ANY multi-player (even hard cord PVP) game has to have at least a small area at the beginning where you can get in, learn the UI, learn the mechanics and figure out what you're doing before throwing you to the wolves.  The noob protection is a step in the right direction at least.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »

Well I was more interested in hearing the meat of the experience than the first 10 minutes.  It's almost like an indie game, obviously it's going to be rough.  If you are ready to dismiss a game after 10 minutes, particularly a mmo, that's your prerogative.  It's just not very informative.

I have heard from people that the city building is robust, naval combat is fully implemented, the skills have been expanded etc.  That's the type of information I would like to find out more about.

Maybe that guy on eurogamer who wrote a review after playing 10 minutes of the game should revisit it and write another review.  This could be his chance to redeem himself if he's still employed there.
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 10:24:53 PM »

DF is a niche game.  It's never pretended to be a WoW clone nor will it ever.

Naval combat is a blast.  Tonight we have a siege to attend in which we are defending a small island hamlet.  The attackers are known to have a ship of the line which is one of the larger ships in the game and has 11 cannons on each side.  Each cannon will need to be manned by individual players and the ship will be piloted by a captain.  They will have players assigned to repair the ship and others for defense against boarding parties. 

We're likely to defend by using several smaller and faster ships that have much less firepower.  We could also wait out inside the hamlet (its uniquely inside the side of a mountain) and concentrate fire on its one entrance. 

High end PvP is currently hybrid players that can cast AoE's, blind spells (flashbangs - turn your screen white), knockback spells, other disruption spells, debuffs, etc.  You can use the inertia effects of spells to catch up to players (think skiing in tribes) or reach nearly any height in the game.  Knock a bow and arch an arrow over your teammates shoulder to hit the enemy.  DF is the most player skill intensive game on the market. 

Sure it has many flaws but to me DF is the best PvP MMO ever and its only getting better. 

- member of the DF community since 05 and player since beta
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 03:45:18 AM »

Quote from: Thry on March 05, 2010, 10:24:53 PM

DF is a niche game.  It's never pretended to be a WoW clone nor will it ever.

Naval combat is a blast.  Tonight we have a siege to attend in which we are defending a small island hamlet.  The attackers are known to have a ship of the line which is one of the larger ships in the game and has 11 cannons on each side.  Each cannon will need to be manned by individual players and the ship will be piloted by a captain.  They will have players assigned to repair the ship and others for defense against boarding parties. 

We're likely to defend by using several smaller and faster ships that have much less firepower.  We could also wait out inside the hamlet (its uniquely inside the side of a mountain) and concentrate fire on its one entrance. 

High end PvP is currently hybrid players that can cast AoE's, blind spells (flashbangs - turn your screen white), knockback spells, other disruption spells, debuffs, etc.  You can use the inertia effects of spells to catch up to players (think skiing in tribes) or reach nearly any height in the game.  Knock a bow and arch an arrow over your teammates shoulder to hit the enemy.  DF is the most player skill intensive game on the market. 

Sure it has many flaws but to me DF is the best PvP MMO ever and its only getting better. 

- member of the DF community since 05 and player since beta

Playing for so long, can you explain to me why high-level people were in the basic newbie area kill-stealing goblins from new people?
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 09:46:46 AM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on March 06, 2010, 03:45:18 AM

Playing for so long, can you explain to me why high-level people were in the basic newbie area kill-stealing goblins from new people?

It's pretty difficult to define "high level" in Darkfall.  Anyone can wear any armor and use any weapon so appearances can be quite deceiving.  Maybe they were new as well but had been hooked up with some decent gear.  They also could have been trying to complete a title quest or were simply griefing.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 11:36:54 AM »

Quote from: skystride on March 04, 2010, 05:56:36 PM

I heard they have noob protection for the first 24 hours.

that's protection from being attacked though, does nothing to prevent a high level character from one shotting all your quest mobs for hours so you can never hit level 2 slywink
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 06, 2010, 11:36:54 AM

that's protection from being attacked though, does nothing to prevent a high level character from one shotting all your quest mobs for hours so you can never hit level 2 slywink

It's good that there are games like Darkfall where that is considered "working as intended".  It provides a home for some of the asshats who might otherwise want to play the games I play.   Tongue

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »

Installed it, and tried it a bit...went and killed a few goblins without any problems...well, it WAS exciting actually, since I knew if I died, I lost all my stuff...

Interesting...I'll see if I like it after 7 days, but I'm sure frustration will kick in..but for now, I'm treating it like a Battlefield game, where I KNOW I will die eventually, but thats part of the game...

A new one
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »

I don't think I have tried a more new player unfriendly game than this one.

I started a dwarf but couldn't find a quest giver in the almost totally empty starting village.  Found a merchant but he gave no quests.  So i went running around looking for anything to practice combat on.  In a half hour I saw 1 other player and nothing to fight.

I deleted that and made some sort of dark elf looking thing.  Found a quest giver who gave the the 4 goblins quest.  Ran for a half hour again and saw no one nor nothing to fight.  After a half hour I found a village of not goblins that promptly  dispatched me in seconds.  Didn't know how to resurrect so I waited for the timer.  Back to the village I went.  Ran along the roads as the quest said again for 15 minutes then went off road and finally found some goblins who were being killed as fast as they spawned by a player.  Managed to kill 2 but in the midst of trying to move the loot into my backpack 4 goblins spawned and killed me before i could more than 1 goblins worth of loot.  So i killed 2, lost all the loot because fo the amazingly cumbersome loot system.

I ran to two different villages and saw 1 player and almost a world barren of anything to fight in an hour and 15 minutes of game time.  I did manage to raise my "run" skill. 

I don't need things spoon fed to me but I want a little more entertainment out of an hour of game time
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2010, 06:11:48 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on March 06, 2010, 05:55:38 PM

I don't think I have tried a more new player unfriendly game than this one.

I started a dwarf but couldn't find a quest giver in the almost totally empty starting village. 

I deleted that and made some sort of dark elf looking thing. 

I ran to two different villages and saw 1 player and almost a world barren of anything to fight in an hour and 15 minutes of game time.  I did manage to raise my "run" skill. 

I don't need things spoon fed to me but I want a little more entertainment out of an hour of game time

Well there's your problem!  You didn't make a human character!  If you had, you would have ran into plenty of people griefing the newbie quest area!
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »

Trying to see to draw to this.  After an hour+ I hardly saw anything or anyone.  Didn't see any interesting sights, couldn't find anything to fight, was in 5 total village/encampments and saw a total of 2 players.  i saw more signs for Desperate Housewives than anything else (I'm not kidding here, evidently there is a guild named Desperate Houswives and they have a fair number of statue things with their name on it)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 08:02:52 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on March 06, 2010, 07:02:28 PM

Trying to see to draw to this.  After an hour+ I hardly saw anything or anyone.  Didn't see any interesting sights, couldn't find anything to fight, was in 5 total village/encampments and saw a total of 2 players.  i saw more signs for Desperate Housewives than anything else (I'm not kidding here, evidently there is a guild named Desperate Houswives and they have a fair number of statue things with their name on it)

Probably not for you, then :-)

I find it fine, but I'm still in the noob terriotory, and under the 24 hour protection, so I guess we'll see soon what happens. I like the fact that you can craft everything yourself...and that you level up what you use - pretty cool.

Not to sure about the PVP part, but we'll see how it goes.

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2010, 08:13:24 PM »

Btw - is it possible to have more than one character per account?

A new one
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »

How would what i described be for anyone?  I will delete this character and start a human I guess.  If my dwarf and whatever this was is the starting experience for those races I don't know how you get started.
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2010, 09:41:32 PM »

First time posting here, but I have been lurking here and at OO for a long time....

Anyways, for those of you having issues starting out, try this link...

http://newbornonagon.guildplex.com/videos.htm

There are a couple of videos to help with the first 12-24 hours of the game.

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2010, 10:42:47 PM »

watched the video....so the beginner experience is to grind goblin spawns....how long does the goblin grinding phase take?  Every character should have magic and melee to be successful?
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 01:59:36 AM »

The videos break it down pretty thoroughly what spells to get at first and why.  Time on goblins depends on you and how fast you get your skills up.  I don't remember what skill I moved on at, but basically the idea I follow is once I am killing things in 2 or 3 hits then it is time to move on.  Once the Shaman and Warriors become easy then you should be able to move on to harder stuff.  My experience is limited though, so don't take what I say as gospel.  Those videos are much more beneficial then anything I have to say. 

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: