http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 08:51:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptic Working on a 'Top Secret' MMO  (Read 954 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2011, 02:18:17 AM »

this is according to their In Development page.  Something about it struck me as kinda funny though, and the wheels spun, the gears of memory dusted off and now I'm wondering if they're not giving away what it is when they say 'Top Secret'.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:59:31 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 04:30:23 AM »

How do you know it's not this Top Secret?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088286/
Quote from: imdb
Parody of WWII spy movies in which an American rock and roll singer becomes involved in a Resistance plot to rescue a scientist imprisoned in East Germany.
Val Kilmer's desperate for work, maybe that's a voiceover actor Cryptic could actually afford.  icon_razz

The only consistent trend of Cryptic post CoX (yeah, yeah, other than extremely borked up MMO launches that they spend the next year trying to fix) is that they seem to like to work with established franchises. So my guess is "top secret" is a red herring, and they've probably gotten rights to some other franchise to do an MMO with it or maybe not even an MMO.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:33:05 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:11:42 AM »

Heh, Top Secret was the first PnP RPG I ever played

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:04:52 AM »

Yeah the theme of it is...You control one of many game developers and your end game goal is to actually release a game worthy of the admission price..........You are even allowed to call your guild, "Cryptic".

Grace: Unmerited favor.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 10:47:33 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on January 13, 2011, 10:04:52 AM

Yeah the theme of it is...You control one of many game developers and your end game goal is to actually release a game worthy of the admission price..........You are even allowed to call your guild, "Cryptic".

I'll agree with this. does anyone care what the fuck they are working on? No. They don't. Also, they don't make MMOs. They make instances for 100 people.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 13, 2011, 04:30:23 AM

How do you know it's not this Top Secret?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088286/
Quote from: imdb
Parody of WWII spy movies in which an American rock and roll singer becomes involved in a Resistance plot to rescue a scientist imprisoned in East Germany.
Val Kilmer's desperate for work, maybe that's a voiceover actor Cryptic could actually afford.  icon_razz

The only consistent trend of Cryptic post CoX (yeah, yeah, other than extremely borked up MMO launches that they spend the next year trying to fix) is that they seem to like to work with established franchises. So my guess is "top secret" is a red herring, and they've probably gotten rights to some other franchise to do an MMO with it or maybe not even an MMO.

what, no analysis that Top Secret the game was made by TSR, who was bought out by Wizards of the Coast, who are now owned by Hasbro, who owned Atari but doesn't anymore yet has a 10 year publishing contract with them for various properties, including at least one TSR property, and that Atari currently has one TSR property being worked on by Cryptic in the form of Neverwinter, so in theory they could be working on a Top Secret game.

We're very excited about what we're working on. Like Neverwinter, our Top Secret work represents our continued commitment to diversify and reach beyond the boundaries of traditional MMORPG gaming. We can't wait to show you more!

they even mention the D&D game in the description of the 'Top Secret' game.  I know, I'm stretching, but wouldn't it be a great diversion to actually name the game right away while everyone is looking elsewhere?  icon_lol

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 13, 2011, 10:47:33 AM

I'll agree with this. does anyone care what the fuck they are working on? No. They don't. Also, they don't make MMOs. They make instances for 100 people.
I returned to STO and enjoy it quite a bit, and like where it's heading. We have a few Champions fans here. I'm not sure if I "care what the fuck they are working on" beyond that, though I am curious about it, and probably some others are too.  icon_smile

I've spent a lot of time bashing Cryptic and STO and CO on and off the past year, so it's not like I'm some fanboi apologist. I've seen concrete improvements in the games over time. Yes, it's a shame MMO devs in general don't stop screwing up at launch and spending the rest of a game's life trying to save it. I appreciate they haven't given up on the games and seem to be getting the resources they need to bring them up to par, expand the content, make them more fun. It's a shame, albeit understandable, so many launch players feel burned and don't feel inclined to give things a second chance. And it's a shame a lot of MMOs seem to have to move on from the original producer and get fresh blood in before their games reach their potential.

If heavy-instancing disqualifies MMOs, then someone should tell the GT moderators to remove Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, Dark Prophecy, Global Agenda, and lots of others from the Massively Multiplayer Madness section. The category's evolving, and it's not based on Ultima Online anymore (i.e, a trillion people in one gaming space). I like variety, and I'm glad people are mixing and mashing things up. Who knows, though? Maybe this other MMO is more traditional and less instanced.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:43:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 04:13:13 PM »

If Cryptic can continue to enhance their user-generated-content tools then I think they will find their niche. No other company seems as dedicated to creating content development tools.

I am very excited to see what they do with NWN online.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »

What. The. Holy. Fuck.

Cryptic's team is NOT that big. Not only are they trying to run 2 MMOs here, but Neverwinter Nights AND this? Good fucking lord.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 06:40:39 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 13, 2011, 03:39:13 PM

If heavy-instancing disqualifies MMOs, then someone should tell the GT moderators to remove Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, Dark Prophecy, Global Agenda, and lots of others from the Massively Multiplayer Madness section. The category's evolving, and it's not based on Ultima Online anymore (i.e, a trillion people in one gaming space). I like variety, and I'm glad people are mixing and mashing things up. Who knows, though? Maybe this other MMO is more traditional and less instanced.

I certainly don't consider GW1 a true MMO.  At least not by my definition and I don't think many others.  (but to Arena's credit, I don't think they ever really claimed it was a true MMO)

I don't know about any of the other games you listed though.  But I can certainly understand the gist of what jersoc is saying.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »

I thought Neverwinter was not a mmo but a coop pc game.

Because I can,
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 07:44:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 13, 2011, 06:43:44 PM

That is 100% correct.

GameSpot: Give us an overview of Neverwinter. What is the game and how will people play it? Will it be a full-on massively multiplayer online role-playing game, like City of Heroes or Champions Online?

Jack Emmert: I wouldn't say MMORPG at all--Neverwinter is a cooperative RPG. You can play with a bunch of friends and experience Neverwinter and D&D in a brand-new way. We're trying to create new sorts of games that we call "OMGs" (online multiplayer games).

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwinter/news.html?sid=6274162&mode=previews&tag=topslot;thumb;1
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:33:31 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 13, 2011, 10:47:33 AM

Personally I could care less whether it is instanced or not as long as it's fun.  Call it an MMO or don't call it an MMO.  If I'm enjoying myself and think I'm getting good value for my entertainment dollar, then I'm happy to pay for it.

I've enjoyed my time playing Star Trek Online, and I'm interested to see how Neverwinter turns out.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 09:29:39 PM »

the original Neverwinter Nights was an MMO on AOL way back when  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_%28AOL_game%29
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 09:47:16 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 13, 2011, 09:29:39 PM

the original Neverwinter Nights was an MMO on AOL way back when  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_%28AOL_game%29
Yeah, but that's not what they're doing. It doesn't even have 'nights' in tge title this time around (yet).

Because I can,
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 12:34:56 AM »

Well, here's the thing:  You'll have to wait at least 6 months and maybe a year after they release it to see if they can pull the rabbit out of the hat.

I'll beta their products (free's a good price after all), however, I'm not buying anything from them on release until they can prove they can actually make a fully functional game. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 06:39:05 AM »

Based on my experiences with the 1st year of Anarchy Online, I'd say you need to wait as much as 1 year before green lighting a Funcom MMO. I remember when Conan was debuting everyone thought they'd learned their lessons with AO, but apparently not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: