http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 05:42:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CoX Issue 11 is live  (Read 2346 times)
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2007, 08:23:21 PM »

Played around with it a bit last night.  Dual weapons/weapon customization is pretty cool, and so far the time travel stuff is lots of fun-- you can now 'go back in time' and re-run missions you outleveled/failed/whatever in the past.  The Fifth Column, a rogue band of Nazis that vanished from the game a while ago are back, and fighting them again was like punching out a long lost friend.  There's a lot of other changes, too; I only had a chance to scratch the surface last night, but it looks to be a pretty good update.
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 12:32:59 AM »

From what time I've put into it so far, yes it's definitely a lot of fun. As always, the game is well worth my time and money.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 06:17:07 PM »

I'm gone from the game, but these are things I would've loved about a year ago.  icon_mrgreen

I always loved those bizzaro Fifth Column names (Unterweizeroffizerierire etc.). I remember Statesman/Jack Emmert (no longer involved with the game post-NCSoft acquisition) dropping hints ages ago (maybe years ago) that they would bring the 5th Column back "in some form, some day."

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 11:16:58 PM »

Can you actually start new characters in CoX and actually find people to group with?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 05:09:13 AM »

Quote from: Fez on December 04, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Can you actually start new characters in CoX and actually find people to group with?

Considering that everybody and their mother made some sort of Dual Blades and/or Willpower class (the two new power sets that went live in I11), yes. At least for now, anyway.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:07:28 PM »

I got a key for the 14 day free trial on my account, but I had to reinstall all the software.  The COH updater is taking forever.  Hopefully it will be finished in anohter 24 hours, but it is very slow.  I hope it installs both CoH and CoV as it states in the free trial.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 01:20:36 AM »

Quote from: Fez on December 05, 2007, 08:07:28 PM

I got a key for the 14 day free trial on my account, but I had to reinstall all the software.  The COH updater is taking forever.  Hopefully it will be finished in anohter 24 hours, but it is very slow.  I hope it installs both CoH and CoV as it states in the free trial.

That's odd - normally the updater is really, really fast. All of NCSoft's games usually are.

BiggerBoat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 02:31:33 AM »

How would Call of Heroes/Villains be for playing regularly with 1 other person? My wife and I have been enjoying Mythos and I was thinking about trying out one of the MMORPG's. It seems like CoX is instanced similarly to Mythos and would be good for a regular team.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 06:32:38 AM »

Quote from: BiggerBoat on December 06, 2007, 02:31:33 AM

How would Call of Heroes/Villains be for playing regularly with 1 other person? My wife and I have been enjoying Mythos and I was thinking about trying out one of the MMORPG's. It seems like CoX is instanced similarly to Mythos and would be good for a regular team.

All 'normal' (non-Task Forces) missions are not only instanced, but will automagically balance themselves to how many people you have in your group (from solo to 6 people total). The best part is that you don't even need to worry much about the 'holy trinity' of classes in games in order to do well, either. I run my Claws/Regen Scrapper with a Fire/Energy Blaster without issues. Just gotta watch the Blaster's health, but he takes things down so quickly it's not much of a problem.

Task Forces on the other hand are multiple missions chained together, and they're designed so you have to start them with 3 to 6 people in your group depending on the mission.

In short - you'll be able to experience 95% of the game easily as a duo. The other 5% will need a bit more work to get into.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 03:45:08 PM »

Finally got everything updated.  Any suggestions on which side to take - Heroes or Villains?  I'm guessing the Heroes side is more popular due to the new update of dual blades (and I still have characters there from the year I played it after launch), but I haven't tried the Villains side at all.  However, I want to group if possible.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 03:46:48 PM by Fez » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 04:58:05 PM »

Quote from: Fez on December 06, 2007, 03:45:08 PM

Finally got everything updated.  Any suggestions on which side to take - Heroes or Villains?  I'm guessing the Heroes side is more popular due to the new update of dual blades (and I still have characters there from the year I played it after launch), but I haven't tried the Villains side at all.  However, I want to group if possible.

Hero side has always been more popular than the Villain side. Not quite sure why, but it's always been that way. For a first time player, I highly recommend starting on the Hero side of things. I mean, you always wanted to be a hero, right?

And Brutes on the Villain side can also get Dual Blades (along with Willpower), so Villains aren't left out of the new stuff.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 04:06:40 PM »

Well, I played around a bit last night.  It seems like the only things people are grouping for are the sewer runs at lower levels.  Does anyone group for missions?  I'm wondering how leveling up in the sewers will affect completing the missions as well - I guess the instances level up with you?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 04:32:38 PM »

Quote from: Fez on December 07, 2007, 04:06:40 PM

Well, I played around a bit last night.  It seems like the only things people are grouping for are the sewer runs at lower levels.  Does anyone group for missions?  I'm wondering how leveling up in the sewers will affect completing the missions as well - I guess the instances level up with you?

Your contacts generally are all within a certain level range (of 5 levels - 1 to 5, 6 to 10, 11 to 15, etc). If you happen to outlevel your contact (by either doing other missions inbetween theirs, or leveling up via other means), your missions will either just end with that contact, or if you're on a chain mission (your contact will have a paper of sorts near their name on your contact list), the mobs will start being lower level than you.

Otherwise, yes, instanced missions will be your level (or above if you up your difficulty level).

Basically everybody does sewer runs (at least if you're in Atlas Park - Galaxy City has none of that and is generally far more quiet because of it) at lower levels (up until about Cool as the lower levels are generally pretty boring. You don't have many powers, and you don't have your travel powers yet. I'd rather have the story of the game, and have yet to step foot in the sewers underneath Atlas.

BTW - I highly recommend getting your wife in on this. The game becomes a lot more fun when there's two or more people teaming up.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 04:34:42 PM by Destructor » Logged

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 06:44:43 PM »

Hey Destructor,

How does getting super speed and using enhanced hover for those obstacles sound for travel?

I got in a group doing some missions in KR last night and that was kind of fun.  It seems like most zones have contacts you can go right to without introduction?  Are there any low level missions you'd recommend doing on the Heroes side?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 07:10:23 PM »

Quote from: Fez on December 12, 2007, 06:44:43 PM

How does getting super speed and using enhanced hover for those obstacles sound for travel?

I got in a group doing some missions in KR last night and that was kind of fun.  It seems like most zones have contacts you can go right to without introduction?  Are there any low level missions you'd recommend doing on the Heroes side?

It's frankly been forever since I last used Hover (Air Superiority is a FAR better power pick, especially if you're going with Fly as your Travel Power), but it's quite slow. Enhanced you can get around decently quickly, but it'll be absolutely nothing like the speed you get via Superspeed.

That said - Heroes is pretty non-vertical travel power friendly (if you pick Superspeed and nothing else as a travel power). Villains is NOT (so it's highly recommended you take any of the other travel powers). You'll be fine without Hover (but make sure you take Hurdle once you dip into the Fitness Pool), IMHO.

If I remember right, every zone has a contact you gain immediately upon going into the zone. In short, it's your police contact, and you have to go say hi at least in order to use the Police Scanner (the CB radio looking thing at the top of your contact list). Basically it's a way to gain missions if you've entirely run out of contacts for your level range.

While I recommend against doing the Police Scanner missions early on (as you'll be outleveling your contacts otherwise), you should do them until you get to the Bank Robbery mission once you get into the level range for Kings Row (5-10). As a reward you'll gain a temp power that'll let you have a jetpack for 2 hours of total use. That'll allow you to easily get around any towers or whatnot that you can't get past via SS, assuming you only use it to get over things occasionally.

davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 07:33:16 PM »

I use the scanner missions temp powers and the bonus jump pack power with COx purchase to get me around any obstocules that superspeed isnt able to. Nearly all my toons use it hero side because hasten improves the recharge speed of all powers, I 3 or 4 slot it so I can basically use it just about every boss fight.

I do have a catargoy of players that I use Super Jump with, mainly so I can get acrobatics, which resists knockback and holds. I use this on my controllers, and my Spines/Dark scrapper.

My favorite toon right now is my fire/kentics controller. I have two lvl 50 tanks, a lvl 50 blaster, scrapper, and defender. However this is my first toon I think I can really use to power level a full team of my super group with little to no help
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 07:33:51 PM »

I reinstalled the game last night but have re-subbed yet.  I wonder if my old characters from 2004 will still be around.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 08:01:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 12, 2007, 07:33:51 PM

I reinstalled the game last night but have re-subbed yet.  I wonder if my old characters from 2004 will still be around.

Yuppers. The only MMO (that I know of) that nukes your characters is FFXI.

BTW - if you're planning on resubscribing, send me your account name via PM. I can get you a 14 day trial with the characters on your account, and I get a free month out of it if you pull the trigger and stay on. biggrin

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 11:18:47 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I guess I do need to go back and do all of the Atlas Park and Galaxy City contact quests that I have to get the KR contacts, although I'm around level 8 now.  We tried the bank robbery quest last night but it seemed broken as we couldn't seem to find all the robbers and it never completed.  My goal is to get superspeed, but have an enhanced hover handy for flying up to tall buildings or to stay out of melee range.  I might get hurdle eventually also.  This is a blaster by the way.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 12:40:11 AM »

Keep in mind that every time you finish a Bank Robbery mission, you'll get an additional contact of your level spread. Also if you outlevel your older contacts, they'll pass you on to somebody else before telling you to move on.

In short - outleveling isn't anywhere near as bad as it seems. With the new Flashback system (which you can't access until at least 25), you can go back and replay the major story arcs that you've missed the first time through for whatever reason.

That Jetpack for finishing the Kings Row bank robbery is a VERY nice thing to get though. I'd make sure you don't outlevel Kings (10) before getting it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 07:04:37 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 12, 2007, 08:01:05 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 12, 2007, 07:33:51 PM

Yuppers. The only MMO (that I know of) that nukes your characters is FFXI.

BTW - if you're planning on resubscribing, send me your account name via PM. I can get you a 14 day trial with the characters on your account, and I get a free month out of it if you pull the trigger and stay on. biggrin

I actually resubbed about 10 minutes after posting that.  I figure I might as well since I'm on vacation and stuck around the house training the new puppy I might as well dive back in.

Because I can,
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 04:18:56 PM »

I know a lot of people like to have 2 powers for traveling...especially in pvp. However I mainly play PvE. So i rarely take a second travel power (although almost all my toons take hasten regardless of travel power). I find after playing for several years now I'd rather spend the slots on something that gets me closer to the goal I have for this toon.

My strategy is to focus on what I want to do with that character. If i want to solo I usually take a mix of defence and attack, with a focus on attack.

My tanks all tend to sport serious defence and taunting ability , and only attack attacks that are AOE for the taunt factor.

With blasters I look to either focus on boss killing or AOE. I've got to admit a prefer aoe is a general strategy since it takes out groups of baddies quickly. My fire/Fire blaster could take out 16 plus baddies in 3 seconds if I survived that is. smile

Generally i like to team, so I build my toons to accomadate that. However I started creating and playing 1 toon per server thats pure solo if I cant find team, or for some reason dont feel like teaming

I also tend to enjoy pushing the limits of my toons, how many baddies can I herd (and I've found ways to herd more than the limit!). How quickly can i kill a massive group with my blaster, or kills per second can I get, or can I keep everyone from dying as a healer,ect.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 09:13:55 PM »

holy cow do I feel lost.  I haven't played CoH except for the free month I got with the game when it was first released (I played a bit too much of the beta so I was getting burned out, and then the PC I had died so I didn't get back to it) and now I get to catch up on years of changes.  Apparently even though they don't delete characters other people can take your name, so my main toon is no longer Doctor Flare but Colonel Flare.  I had a moment of despair when I couldn't find what server I had been playing on, turns out it was the seventh one that I checked (Infinity).

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 13, 2007, 09:13:55 PM

Apparently even though they don't delete characters other people can take your name, so my main toon is no longer Doctor Flare but Colonel Flare.

Yeah - characters that are of a certain (low) level or below can have their name 'marked for reuse' by a paying member. I think they've done this twice total over the 3+ years of operation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: