http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:20:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CoX Issue 11 - Dual Blades and Weapon Customization  (Read 7647 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2008, 03:24:28 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 29, 2008, 01:53:05 PM

So now I know why Pinnacle seems deserted. It's not -- it's just everyone sits in the auction houses doing sales/searches all night, so almost nobody is actually going out beating up villains.  disgust

Keep in mind that there are exactly three AHs in the entire Heroes side (Steel Canyon, Talos Island, and Kings Row - but most people use Talos), so odds are you will find quite a few people there pawning their goods off. It's also a great place to see a bunch of crazy costumes and/or bios.

The reason I don't mind the lack of grouping is that my main (and only character above 40) is a Claws/Regen Scrapper. I can always just choose to avoid it all and solo. And if I get daring, I can always join a TF that's being advertised on the channels I'm listening in on on my server. Check your server forums for what they are (possibly 'server name' Badges and/or 'server name' Forum) and listen in.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2008, 04:02:15 PM »

Grr!

Installing now. 

Should be patched up by this evening.

Pretty sure I have close to a full  roster on Virtue but I mainly played on Victory.

Villians or?

morlac00 on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2008, 04:27:46 PM »

Quote from: morlac on February 29, 2008, 04:02:15 PM

Grr!

Installing now. 

See? It's not worth resisting. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2008, 04:40:17 PM »

Quote from: morlac on February 29, 2008, 04:02:15 PM

Grr!

Installing now. 

Should be patched up by this evening.

Pretty sure I have close to a full  roster on Virtue but I mainly played on Victory.

Villians or?

Villian for me?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2008, 04:58:53 PM »

I have an electric/electric brute on Virtue, name is Galvanic Charge.  May try out a robot mastermind.  The game is so different from the last time I played years ago.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2008, 05:58:51 PM »

Ok,  patching done.

I appear to have an army of lowbie Heroes on Virtue with a 20ish mixed in who might be in the Wanderers?

Thinking of some Villian concepts now.  I believe my global is @Dead Doctor.  Ill update(d) if it's wrong.

I'd revive Nor Easter as a villian but there is no Storm in Villians, correct?  Hmm.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 07:54:37 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »

I don't mind soloing, but TFs aren't soloable, most arch-villains aren't soloable (you can reduce difficulty to easiest to get them to "Elite Boss" level, but certain things like Psionic Clockwork King still don't seem soloable except by the hardiest of tanks, afik), and I genuinely enjoy teaming (even pickup teaming). I used to team up all the time because I enjoyed it and made a lot of buds in the game (and well, maybe one or two people who got a little too "clingy" that I had to add to my ignore list - probably some cases of vice-versa as well.  icon_lol).

But it's been basically deserted every night (even weekends).

Part of the reason I quit playing was the lack of anyone to team with who wasn't fixated on bridging, power leveling or the Exploit of the Day. When the social aspect is one's favorite portion of a game and it's basically faded away, then it just becomes less appealing. I wish I could say that had changed, but it doesn't seem to have. Even the Broadcast, Request and Help channels are quiet as a mouse now (I guess that's preferable to spamming but COH never seemed to have that problem to the extent other MMOs had).

It could just be a Pinnacle thing, but I've got a couple characters on Freedom (often ballyhooed as the most populated server) and it hasn't seemed much different.

They promise big things in the future though, so I've just got to hope it's something that brings back the social aspect of the game. One of the updates in 2007 mentioned the possibility that they would find a way to make all servers be part of the same game world (so you could team up with anybody on any server). They made no promises though; I hope it's something they can implement.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2008, 09:39:26 PM »

Created two villians on Virtue:

Mortar Man  Stone/Stone Brute

Da Vine  Plant/plant Dominator

Prolly make a corrupter as well.

morlac00 on PSN
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2008, 10:50:40 PM »

Look for Kaos Kommander Robotic/traps Mastermind probably will make some type of evil blaster as well

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2008, 02:27:35 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 29, 2008, 03:56:16 AM

Quote from: Scraper on February 29, 2008, 01:23:33 AM

OK I just rolled a CoV toon on virtue, his name is Scraper Von Doom. Hopefully the devs wont change my name.

First off - isn't Scrapper spelled with two P's?

Second off - as long as he doesn't look like Doom, I think you're safe. Doom is too generic of a name by itself.

Scrapper is indeed spelled with two Ps, but Scraper is only spelled with one P. There is a difference, look at my pic if you need help.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2008, 05:52:32 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 01, 2008, 02:27:35 AM

Scrapper is indeed spelled with two Ps, but Scraper is only spelled with one P. There is a difference, look at my pic if you need help.

Or your user name. My bad. I didn't see that.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2008, 12:50:25 PM »

Ok, I dug out CoV that I got free when buying a game ages ago. I never did install it. I played the snot out of CoH in the early days..But moved on just when CoV was being released.

I have everything turned up full in the graphics department. Not bad, but certainly looking a bit dated now.

Ok guys I need advice on what to play.

I'm a very poor sleeper and because of that do my most PC gaming early morning, very early morning. So grouping in most MMO's is a hit and miss thing for me.
Because of that I always try to pick the most solo friendly class in the games I try.

What if any is the general consensus on the best soloing class in CoV?

Any tips, appreciated.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2008, 03:33:56 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 01, 2008, 12:50:25 PM

Because of that I always try to pick the most solo friendly class in the games I try.

CoV? Either a Brute or a Mastermind. Depends on your playstyle (SMASH! or ordering minions to do your dirty work). Don't know the best builds off the top of my head (as I frankly never liked CoV for some reason).

In CoH it's definitely a /Regen or /Willpower Scrapper. You'll be mowing things down in no time at all.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »

Can I play CoH with my CoV account? I don't have any CoH disc's....Just wondering as I remember liking the setting of CoH better than CoV.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2008, 04:38:01 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 01, 2008, 03:33:56 PM

Quote from: Arclight on March 01, 2008, 12:50:25 PM

CoV? Either a Brute or a Mastermind. Depends on your playstyle (SMASH! or ordering minions to do your dirty work). Don't know the best builds off the top of my head (as I frankly never liked CoV for some reason).

In CoH it's definitely a /Regen or /Willpower Scrapper. You'll be mowing things down in no time at all.

If you can get over the hump in the middle, many of the dominators make good soloers imo.

Pretty much the only ones that don't are stalkers on the CoV side, they are just too squishy and require too much setup to solo efficiently.  I solo'd mine to 33 before I quit the game out of frustration.  Haven't really gone back to him since re-upping.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2008, 05:58:30 PM »

Well, rolled up a SS\Invul Brute on the CoV side of things....Love Haymaker, I'm one shotting white-cons.

It will be fun for a bit I'm sure....

Look for,

Baron Bombastic.....You can't miss him, he's the one pushing everyone out of the way....

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2008, 10:21:02 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 01, 2008, 04:14:03 PM

Can I play CoH with my CoV account? I don't have any CoH disc's....Just wondering as I remember liking the setting of CoH better than CoV.

As far as I know of, both games should be connected as one now. So yes, you should be able to.

Quick way to make sure - hit Create New Character. If you can choose a Hero, you can make one.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2008, 04:12:14 PM »

I've been in fun pickup teams (my 33 radiation/empathy Defender Dr. Barium even got drafted into a large SG after one series of team-ups) all weekend, so I guess it's time for me to eat crow...  icon_redface

And I finally got to play alongside someone using Dual Blades and Willpower (new scrapper primary and secondary sets). It's a lot of fun to watch, with very lively attack animations, lots of twirling, and a Japanese Steakhouse style spinning of the blades (all the animations are very quick though, so they're not sluggish to use). I'll have to start one up some time.  icon_cool Little peek:

It's probably somewhere between Katana and Broadsword damage-wise. I have no scientific proof of that, was just my observation (my katana scrapper was playing alongside).

I peeked at his powers list:

He opined that the two new powersets were "done to death" (anything new tends to get devoured in the weeks after release) but that they were quite fun to use. I guess he had everything but the highest end Dual Blades power (at 38).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 04:20:00 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »

Well, according to the official forums, Willpower is pretty much a cross between Regen and Invincibility. A little of both sets, and it generally takes the best of both parts (Regen's regen of HP, combined with Invincibility's ability to take damage).

Dual Blades is a hack-and-slash set, but with the combos, it bumps up the damage by quite a bit. But I think your thoughts of saying it's between Katana and Broadsword in damage is pretty much accurate, especially if you use combos whenever they're up. A nice mix between single-target and AoE damages. I have a 38ish or so DB/WP on Test that I tried out for a bit, and it was enjoyable. Loved how combat just flowed.

Personally though, I'm still a fan of my Claws/Regen. Quick activating moves, quite a bit of damage, a pair of outstanding ranged attacks (including one that's a wave attack of sorts), and it just looks cool. Regen on the other hand, works like this - if I don't drop dead in the alpha strike from a gang of mobs, odds are very good that I won't be killed afterwards, as I just regen all the damage I took in a matter of seconds.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »

Everyone has their favorites. I prefer Invulnerability (my only 50 toon is a broadsword/invulnerability scrapper; and my only tank is a 38 stone melee/invulnerability one), have a claws/invulnerability 32 scrapper I should work on at some point.

I am trying dual blades/invulnerability over on FreedoM:

Rather belatedly I realized you can customize sword colors (though some of the thinner blades seem to have a fixed silver color) too. smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »

48 Month Veteran Reward Unveiled
http://www.coh.com/news/archives/2008/03/48_month_vetera.html
* Battle Hardened Badge
* Summon Pet Power: CHOICE: Light Fairy, Dark Fairy, Blue Wisp, Red Wisp, Shield Oscillator, Power Oscillator, Shield Drone, or Power Drone.

For the 4 year veteran reward, players receive the Battle Hardened badge and the choice of a Summon Pet Power.

There are 8 different pets the player can choose from: The Light Fairy, the Dark Fairy, the Blue Wisp, the Red Wisp, the Shield Oscillatory, the Power Oscillator, the Shield Drone, and the Power Drone. Each gives a specific bonus to you and your team.
The underlined part is big news, because the previous rewards pets were useless (strictly cosmetics). These actually give some sort of boost though I'd imagine it's a modest bonus.

* I fished around forums. I guess there was much chatter about all this on test server in some form but there was some skepticism about it. Apparently each type offers a different kind of bonus. It's apparently mostly maybe in the 1.75-2% range, such as 1.75% boosts to defense, endurance, resistance, stamina etc. There's much chatter over whether the effects stack on a full team (8 players).

I just hope the drones don't make obnoxious looping noises. Few MMOs have had sound good as COH, nor looping sounds as obnoxious and painful in COH.  disgust Though, to be fair, some of the worst ones were eventually reduced or adjusted to a lower obnoxious quotient...

In fact, it's something they're still working on reducing:
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=archetypes&Number=10326956&bodyprev=#Post10326956

Dang! If I hadn't canceled for several months, I'd qualify.  crybaby As is, I'd probably need to stick around another 6 months to qualify. If Conan's a bust and TR doesn't start living up to its potential, it could happen.  nod
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:08:29 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2008, 02:18:52 AM »

Well, the first set of pets (36 monther I think) are not only non-targetable, but they make absolutely no noise.

And according to Test, this reward is (as of last check) split into two groups - the Red ones (Dark Fairy, Red Wisp, Power Oscillator, and Power Drone) give you slightly boosted damage, while the Blue ones (the other 4) give you slightly boosted defense. In a very basic nutshell anyway.

So you can just pick the one you like the best in the end. 4 different pets, split into two colors. They also keep near you, and have something in the range of 10HP. So yes, they'll go pop if something just looks at them funny.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2008, 04:53:43 AM »

*Looks at Destructor funny* Hey, nothing happened!  saywhat

Got my dual blades up to about 10 tonight, much of it after latching onto a large mission pickup team on Freedom server. smile

Couple pics from of late:

Lot of fun on a big team. Solo wise I'm still at the 'gasping for endurance' stage, but I'm getting there.

I'm just always a sucker for cool animations if they don't take too long, and I love the dual blades sounds as well.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2008, 03:38:45 PM »

BlackJack,

You should consider creating a villian on Virtue to run around with us.  We've been having a blast these last few days. I think we had 6 on at one point last night, not bad. We've been playing lowbies so you would fit right in.  I got some toons on Freedoom as well, what's your global?

morlac00 on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2008, 04:03:17 PM »

I PM'd you.  icon_smile I have a smattering of villains on various servers.

I just never got into COV as much as COH. And I was one of those monkeys in the choir tossing poop at COV and complaining that no T-rated game is going to let you do anything remotely, truly villain-like. So why even bother?  icon_confused I understand the reasoning. You're not going to have some mass murderer villain, some split personality psycho, or some dastardly villain who travels back in time and zaps heroes as teens so they never get to be super heroes. Sick, aren't I?  icon_twisted But that's the kinda twisted stuff I was interesting in seeing how they'd do, not basically changing clickable glowies over to sticks of dynamite and exchanging escort/rescues for kidnappings. disgust I know though that much of COH's charm is kids playing and families playing together. Nothing truly villain-like is going to be acceptable in that regards, and I can dig that.

I would've rather seen the time and resources have gone into expanding COH further, adding more classes, content etc. Jack Emmert seems to agree in interviews that COV just wasn't different enough to appeal to people who didn't already like COH to begin with (so it didn't really expand their market the way Cryptic hoped).

Still, I am glad many of COV's improvements and neat ideas (esp. the radio missions) translated over into COH eventually.

I think I got one character into the 20s (a military-oriented master mind).

Anyway, my past COV feelings aside, I would enjoy teaming up with ya'll and we'll try to make it happen.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 04:07:47 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »

I've been playing CoV for about a week now. Did I hear that CoV graphic's were improved over Coh's?
I did play CoH ages ago and from what I remember the graphics still look the same.

I'm playing a Dual-Blades\Invul Brute...lv 15 or so now...

On Freedom

Nacht Hund

Global @Billy Bunter

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2008, 05:12:21 PM »

What levels do you unlock avatar customization things like auras, capes, and the like?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2008, 07:51:42 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 05, 2008, 05:12:21 PM

What levels do you unlock avatar customization things like auras, capes, and the like?

30 for the auras and 20 for the capes, if I remember right. Basically wander down to your local ICON (Northern end of Steel Canyon) when you hit 20 for a cape and a quest to unlock a second costume slot.

I think the game tells you in the 'what you'll receive when you level up' blurb when you'll gain new costume options. I do know you'll gain new costume slots at 20, 30, and 40, and you can get one at any time if you purchase the 4 pieces of Halloween salvage (just search for Halloween on at the nearest broker and I think it'll turn up) and turn them in...crap. I forgot the zone name.

As far as the graphic 'upgrade' goes - it was pretty much just added particle effects along with some other special effects. Go hit the main options menu and make sure you manually adjust the settings. You'll see a lot of ways to turn things up for today's PCs.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2008, 10:53:56 PM »

Yep, everything cranked way up.......Hey it took me years to get an up to date rig......I maximize EVERYTHING now... finger

The other thing I wanted to ask is what the best "blaster" set is? What to they call them in CoV, Corrupters?

Anyway, I want a ranged fighter to off-set my times with the Brute.

The best solo-able one would be great.

Danke...

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2008, 01:42:35 PM »

The Corruptor is COV's equivalent to a blaster, but is not exactly the same thing (has some different strengths).

A dev (Back Alley Brawler) pointed out a COH Wiki entry that has pics of all the different weapon customizations in both COH and COV (note that that COH/COV tend to share the same customization options for an equivalent class):
http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_Weapons

You can usually customize the colors at the costume shop too unless the item is too skinny to support the option (certain swords for example).

I checked on my villains a bit. I had a military themed Mastermind at 21, and a Thugs Mastermind that uses dual pistols at 14. Other than that, just a bunch in single digits, and maybe a stalker at 10. I really thought I'd love Masterminding but I found them (at the levels I could use them) horrific endurance-burners and the various low-medium level pets were not terribly effective. If I'd gotten any MM into the upper 20s and 30s I'm sure I would've had a better feeling but I lacked the patience.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:49:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2008, 02:30:33 PM »

I forgot I did some COH stuff with Comic Book Creator (Planetwide released a Comic Book Creator 2 that adds a lot of audio features, among other things - http://www.mycomicbookcreator.com/products/detail/description.html?id=41). Planetwide is probably majorly bummed about Marvel Universe's demise. They've been doing well selling customized version of CBC (for games, or for specific comic brands).

I'm going to see about posting my old 2006 work at Hypercomics. Here's Metal Mandroid issue #1:
http://www.hypercomics.com/comicbooks/blackjack/metal_mandroid_1_0?
I did about three issues before burning out on the whole idea. I belatedly figured out there was a hotkey to remove interface stuff quickly, which would've made this earlier stuff look less "game-like." But really I was trying to help promote the game, and I poured in some maudlinness from my own life at the time. smile

Doesn't display quite as crisply as I'd like, but oh well. I was using a CRT monitor at 1024X768 at the time.

MM is basically a riff on Iron Man and The Six Million Dollar Man. Although there was in fact a little bit character in the Marvel universe called Mandroid (a S.H.I.E.L.D. creation), that was quite a bit different and I've never (knock on wood) been bothered by NCSoft to change the name. smile

There are soooo many new emotes (cell phones, cameras, the radio mission gadget, etc.) that would've helped with those book ideas.  tear icon_lol
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 02:36:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2008, 03:07:49 PM »

BTW - here's your 48 month rewards. Keep in mind that these are very small bonuses. You can get far better as it is right now via the bonuses with IO sets. Just a cool fluff pet that actually does something.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2008, 07:31:27 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 06, 2008, 01:42:35 PM

The Corruptor is COV's equivalent to a blaster, but is not exactly the same thing (has some different strengths).

A dev (Back Alley Brawler) pointed out a COH Wiki entry that has pics of all the different weapon customizations in both COH and COV (note that that COH/COV tend to share the same customization options for an equivalent class):
http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_Weapons

You can usually customize the colors at the costume shop too unless the item is too skinny to support the option (certain swords for example).

I checked on my villains a bit. I had a military themed Mastermind at 21, and a Thugs Mastermind that uses dual pistols at 14. Other than that, just a bunch in single digits, and maybe a stalker at 10. I really thought I'd love Masterminding but I found them (at the levels I could use them) horrific endurance-burners and the various low-medium level pets were not terribly effective. If I'd gotten any MM into the upper 20s and 30s I'm sure I would've had a better feeling but I lacked the patience.

MM's are bad at endurance when you try to play them like a blaster or corruptor that has pets.  If you let your pets do all the work and focus on the buffs/debuffs/heals of the set you can do about the same damage with little to no downtime and play advances very quickly.  As cool as the there pistol powers are in the thugs set, you're more effective overall if you skip either all three or just pick one up later.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »

I understand, but I don't enjoy playing that way thus why I never put much time into COV.  icon_neutral My dream was to be a dual-pistols Thug MM cowboy but I just found the experience frustrating. I did at least on test server get to try some fully tricked out MMs (for some special tests, they just let your character auto-level and get to try everything).

Hey, they announced some upcoming in-game Rikti invasion events:
The Rikti Return! Thursday, March 6, 2008
The looming threat of the Rikti Invasion Force still hangs like a dark pall over Earth. Despite the best efforts of humanity, aggressive Rikti incursions still plague the planet. Advance warning systems indicate the Rikti are massing for attacks on the following dates throughout the year:

March 7th through the 13th
April 25th through May 1st
June 13th through June 19th
August 1st through August 7th
Sept 26th through Oct 2nd
November 14th through November 20th

Prepare for a desperate battle to save Earth from the Rikti Invasion Force! Aggressive Rikti forces will attack Paragon City and Rogue Isle with increased frequency at any time during the above dates! Some important items to remember about Rikti Invasions:

When Zones within the cities are under attack, a world-wide alert will be issued by Vanguard. This alert will show up in your Chat window on the System channel, warning you in which zone attack is imminent.

While the invasion is occurring, players do not receive debt while outdoors in an invaded zone.

Those in that zone that do not wish to be at risk of Rikti attack are asked to take shelter immediately. They can do so by leaving the zone, or moving inside buildings or under cover (overpasses, parking garages, etc.).

The combative inhabitants in a zone will move off the streets and to safer locations when a Rikti Invasion takes place.

Rikti bombs appear to be unstable and not 100% reliable. Some do not explode on impact and only embed themselves in the ground. These bombs have been noted to detonate after a time, so take caution when you see these. They can be disarmed or delayed by inflicting damage upon them.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:59:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2008, 06:05:46 PM »

I finally got all four of my Metal Mandroid screenshot comics (done using Comic Book Creator software a couple years back -- there's now a much better 2.0 version of the software, which I've not tried yet) uploaded to Hypercomics (Planetwide's free hosting site for fan comics of all sorts).

My Metal Mandroid stuff is over here (each is about 21-22 pages long, I was trying to emulate print comics in length):
http://www.hypercomics.com/user/2220/comicbooks

You can see a pretty vast collection of City of Heroes/Villains themed fan comics at a group there (I went ahead and joined it, and added my four to it):
http://www.hypercomics.com/groups/11
(You'll see Blackjack and my Metal Mandroid avatar at the bottom of the member list there smile).

I didn't think this was worth a separate thread at this point (I searched archives here and there was never a thread or interest in Comic Book Creator), so I though I'd mention it here.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2008, 06:40:07 PM »

BTW - in today's Fry's Electronics ad in Phoenix, they're advertising the Good vs Evil edition for $16.99. Hit Outpost.com and maybe they'll sell it there for the same price.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2008, 10:44:16 PM »

And for a few brief shining moments, my comic book creations were stars again.  icon_cool

And yeah I do think at this point 4 years after COH's release (April 2004) and 3 after COV (October 2005), they should be bargain basement pricing the games. I don't expect the monthly fees will ever go down, but it was wise when they went to the COH/COV covered under the one price (it wasn't that way at COV's launch).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:47:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2008, 01:50:18 PM »

Here's some pics from Rikti Invasion battles last night:

The Rikti ships are really something to see, as they drop explosives and A-bombs (I think the A-bombs spawn Rikti troops if you don't take them out within a certain amount of time, if I'm understanding it right -- or else maybe they just indicate where the troops will spawn in regardless  icon_confused) Unfortunately, you can't damage these ships at all -- if you get too close (as I did here), some sort of laser turret gun fries your arse in 1-2 shots.  icon_surprised

If several A-bombs drop in one place, then you're in for some serious chaos...

Like so. It's not exactly cerebral combat, but everyone in the zone seems to gather around these things, and it's a nice crazy change of piece. OK exp but it's not some Winter Lords thing.  drool

Similar scene over in Founder's Falls near the main fountain.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2008, 08:11:24 PM »

Couple more from Atlas. If nothing else, these events bring people together and the servers don't feel so empty all of a sudden.  icon_smile

After a respec trial and Manticore TF, got Dr. Barium to 36 and finally got to try out Neutron Bomb power, which is fun but not as powerful as it is visually.  icon_cool

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 03:56:44 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2008, 04:09:46 PM »

I got my Dr. Barium empathy defender to 37 last night. On weekends at least, there's no shortage of teams if you're an empathy defender.  icon_smile Still tricky to solo with, but I can handle most stuff on heroic at least.

I'm still lacking absorb pain and I'm not so uber a healer that I can keep a team going when it's overmatched, as I found out on a big team tackling a Circle of Thorns temple mish last night. But I'm really starting to enjoy it anyway. I don't complain if people get cocky or sloppy (I think I did with this character earlier), I just try to enjoy the challenge of keeping the team upright no matter how they play. You do need "line of sight" to heal though and it gets tricky in really cramped conditions (caves, temples etc). Sometimes they'll be close, you know they're in trouble, but if you can't see to them, can't heal 'em.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: