http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 03:33:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CoX Issue 11 - Dual Blades and Weapon Customization  (Read 7599 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2007, 03:37:27 PM »

Let me just cut and paste in this interview/preview of Issue 11 via MMORPG.com:

Alas, the actual animation time involved in getting the Shield set done was too much for Issue 11’s schedule, so the powerset itself was shelved for a later issue. However, we decided to use this functionality with any and all weapons that were currently available in powers, and with Dual Blades as the new melee powerset in Issue 11, it was only logical that players could alter the left and right weapons for powersets that used both hands.

The initial tests were very promising; using models ripped from the game, our development team was rediscovering existing powersets with new graphics. Although it was strictly a cosmetic change, no alteration of damage type or the like, new weapon models really made some of the older sets feel different and breathed new life into them! Choosing a Warhammer for the War Mace powerset doesn’t alter any of the powers, but does give your character a lot more distinction. And since these are chosen on a per-costume basis, characters can have different weapons for their different outfits, if they so desire!

The goal was that every weapon power would get their default weapon, an archaic or mystical version of the weapon, and a high-tech or more modern take on the weapon. We succeeded in this area with many powersets, and even were able to add a bunch of weapons that we had in the game already so the players could further customize their characters.

Visit the link for a much longer blurb, and visit here for a ton of screenshots of the new weapons you can choose from.

Frankly, I find this shot rather funny. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 03:43:18 PM »

Hey - that's pretty good!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 04:55:32 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 12, 2007, 03:43:18 PM

Hey - that's pretty good!

Unfortunately I only have two characters that'll be affected by the advancements (Claws Scrapper and a Robotic Mastermind), so I won't be seeing too much of a benefit out of my existing crew. Dual Blades does sound very cool though. I just don't know if I want to level up yet another alt to see it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 05:51:07 PM »

...especially when you can just group with one and go, "Neato.  OK then... who's pulling the next group?"

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 09:24:51 PM »

Hmmm... I got a copy of CoV sitting here unopened too.

Just Hiro will do.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 09:48:56 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on October 15, 2007, 09:24:51 PM

Hmmm... I got a copy of CoV sitting here unopened too.

If you want, I have a free 10 day pass sitting on my account. If you want to give CoH a whirl, shoot me a PM and I'll check to make sure and such (at work at the moment, so I can't exactly look).

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 01:19:50 AM »

Out of the blue, just this second, I decided to Return to City of Heroes. Well, at least for a month. smile I haven't canceled TR (I had so much faith I'd gone for a 3 month plan there, so I'll stick around another month or two). They make it really easy to reactivate and cancel, so we'll see if I can recapture my once all-consuming affection for this.

I still run a message board for the now mostly defunct Supergroup I was on, and my characters are:

PINNACLE (HEROES)
50-Silverknight (broadsword/invulnerability Scrapper)
47-Crusasder (assault rifle/devices Blaster)
44-Blackjack (martial arts/regeneration Scrapper)
43-Metal Mandroid (energy blast/energy manipulation Blaster)
39-Kato Katana(katana/super reflexes Scrapper)
38-Igloo (ice blast/ice manipulation Blaster)
38-Fat Hammer (invulnerability/stone melee Tanker)
32-Molly Cat (claws/invulnerability Scrapper)
30-Dr. Barium (empathy/radiation blast Defender)
29-Blue Graviton (gravity/force bubble Defender)

=======================

PROTECTOR (VILLAINS)
21-Fallen Soldier (mercenaries/traps Mastermind)
20-Sting (katana/ninjitsu Stalker)
14-Gunslayer (thugs/force field bubbles Mastermind)
10-Pyro (flame melee/fiery aura Brute)
4-Out of the Blue (electrical melee/electrical armor Brute)[/u]
4-Bullet (assault rifle/traps Corruptor)

Needless to say, I was a nut about COH; about COV, not so much, but it's something I can work on if I can get back into it...

Although I hadn't uninstalled (LOTORO was much more of a hard drive gobbler so I'd uninstalled that), I've got months of updates to download so I'm still waiting on all that.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 01:22:26 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 06:08:42 PM »

There's a couple of us on Virtue, mostly CoV but we have a base for both CoH and CoV.  I just upgraded the base to include all the storage options on the CoV side.  Dual Blades is very fun and looks smooth going between one power to the next in a combo.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 06:23:19 PM »

What's the monthly fee on this these days?  And if I only purchased CoHeroes back in the day, I'd have access to Villains as well now, right?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 08:46:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 23, 2008, 06:23:19 PM

What's the monthly fee on this these days?  And if I only purchased CoHeroes back in the day, I'd have access to Villains as well now, right?

The only way you can buy the game now (as of like a year ago) is as a combo pack, so it doesn't matter if you don't own the game now. If you were a subscriber way back when (even if for only a month), you now automagically have access to both CoH and CoV.

And the fee is your usual MMO fare - $15 a month, with discounts if you subscribe in longer chunks.

andon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 05:42:07 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 23, 2008, 06:08:42 PM

There's a couple of us on Virtue, mostly CoV but we have a base for both CoH and CoV.  I just upgraded the base to include all the storage options on the CoV side.  Dual Blades is very fun and looks smooth going between one power to the next in a combo.

I've been wanting to play this again, however, it's really on fun in group settings.  If I re-sub again, how many folks are online in a given night?  I have a 20ish Controller and a Mastermind, I haven't played in a while.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 07:20:26 PM »

I'm told that the busiest servers these days are Freedom and Virtue. You can now pay a "micro transaction" fee to transfer a character to another server, or purchase a "rename token" to change the character name.

I agree, I loved the teamwork aspect of the game and I think part of the reason I left is I just found it too hard to find anyone to team with (even though imho the game has the best "LFG" search engine/tools out there). Plus, once you hit the 40s, it seems all anyone wants to do is bridge, power level or other tomfoolery.

I can attest Pinnacle seems mostly a wasteland now, though the one person on my global friends list still playing tells me it's busier on weekend afternoons. [oops, revised from "weekdays"]

Oh while digging around the Champions Online forum, found a link to an interesting Gamasutra piece about Jack Emmert's (now no longer involved with COH) comments on the COH experience:

GDC: Cryptic’s Emmert: ‘You Are What You Are At Launch’

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17549
It's very candid, and you can tell he feels bad about certain decisions he made or helped make with the game over the years.

Some interesting tidbits:
By 2004, the game's subscriber base had grown to 180,000 in North America. "But on our first update, we did nothing to address the game's weaknesses," said Emmert. Focused on bug fixes and content past level 50, the team overlooked those content absences that resulted in a loss of players. "If you don't have [PvP] at launch, you can never add it," warned Emmert.

"We tried to address the weaknesses that we had, but we really did it in a way that simply re-used content that we already had," he continued. "It didn't change the fact that there were repetitive instances; it didn't change the fact that there was nothing to do besides leveling... Anybody who was turned off by those weaknesses, we were doing nothing to help them."

And six months later, WoW hit the scene. "It's conceivable that the players would have stuck around if not for the fact that WoW came out. When WoW came out, we lost about a third of our subscriber base," Emmert explained.

In 2005, City of Heroes saw its European launch, soon followed by City of Villains. But, Emmert said, "What I really delivered was a City of Heroes experience with a slightly evil twist." He neglected to connect to what players might want from being a villain. "If they didn't like City of Heroes, there was nothing here for them... I can't even tell you the disappointment I have. It hurts."
It was neat to hear him talk about numbers. I guess non-disclosure of that sort of stuff was not some condition of selling the CoX property to NCSoft.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:14:49 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 08:05:27 PM »

What server is everyone on?  I am looking at getting back in on this.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 09:18:04 PM »

Well, I sit on Victory, and generally solo (although I do listen to the Victory Badge channel and have had some great TF runs with them as they're generally an intelligent lot) when I just 'want to get away from it all'.

Its why I've been a subscriber for so long - in small bursts, the game is a ton of fun. I'll get a level 50 one of these years. biggrin

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 12:20:40 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 23, 2008, 06:08:42 PM

I'm enjoying COV quite a bit, while my poor XBOX is getting fixed.  I haven't played since the beta of City of Heroes, and back then I thought it was a shallow experience.  But now, its quite deep with so much customization....so yeah I like it  icon_lol

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 01:22:51 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on February 24, 2008, 08:05:27 PM

What server is everyone on?  I am looking at getting back in on this.

We've got three (and a fourth popped on apparently just to say high) on Virtue mostly CoV side.  Fully functional base with teleporters to the first 6 zones or so.  Most of us created newer characters so we're between 1-15 on average though I have a 33 villain and a 27 hero on the server.  It's a bit depressing looking through the supergroup list and seeing how many people we used to have and then to see 'Last Online : 890 days' by so many of them.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 01:36:41 PM »

I loved my time with City of Heroes.  Then again, I love my time with just about every MMO I've ever tried.  I'd say the Controller is still one of my favorite "classes" of any MMO I've ever played.  I wish I didn't get bored so quickly after the early "quick leveling" stage of these games ended.   icon_neutral

LD

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 25, 2008, 01:36:41 PM

I loved my time with City of Heroes.  Then again, I love my time with just about every MMO I've ever tried.  I'd say the Controller is still one of my favorite "classes" of any MMO I've ever played.  I wish I didn't get bored so quickly after the early "quick leveling" stage of these games ended.   icon_neutral

Well, the devs did scale down the experience needed to level (well, technically they're giving out more exp per 'arrest') in the last few weeks, so things are moving along just a bit faster now.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »

Yes there's a new "Experience Smoothing" introduced in the latest updated, and in theory is supposed to make certain levels (I forget the exact numbers, but it's in the patch notes) go by much faster than before.

For me though it's still a case where if I enjoy the missions and what I'm doing, then leveling isn't something I worry about. Imho way too many people in CoX felt like leveling was the only reason to play (indicating that battling through the same environs to click clickies wasn't too satisfying), which is just inviting people to power level, "bridge," pull 50 enemies with a tank, or comb the system for exploits because they're not interested in anything else in the game. I think Emmert is basically admitting that in the Gamasutra piece.

In Tabula Rasa I really enjoy the missions but to me there simply isn't enough of it in the 30s, and by that time you've learned all the powers you're going to, so "just playing to level" doesn't do it for me in TR.

I think just about every MMO I played could've benefitted from 3-6 more months work on content (I know that's unrealistic, games cost money and you can't wait forever for revenue to roll in), because you really can't ever have enough of it. imho way too many devs underestimate their potential launch popularity (so many end up swamped, with account creation and login problems at launch), as well as how fast ravenous fans can burn through their PvE content (so you end up with players complaining of boredom just weeks after launch).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:24:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 11:03:05 PM »

Ive joined CoX a few times. I love it for a while then I find Im tired of doing that same texture instance for the 50th time killing more powerful version of what Id killed last 10 lvls and I end up quitting again. I wish I could gather herbs or mine or something smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 01:41:55 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on February 25, 2008, 11:03:05 PM

Ive joined CoX a few times. I love it for a while then I find Im tired of doing that same texture instance for the 50th time killing more powerful version of what Id killed last 10 lvls and I end up quitting again. I wish I could gather herbs or mine or something smile

There is salvage gathering and crafting of stuff now  icon_twisted
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 02:48:11 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 26, 2008, 01:41:55 AM

There is salvage gathering and crafting of stuff now  icon_twisted

Very true. I remember when I got my first set of wings as a drop and sold it on the AH (as I didn't want that one) - I had enough cash/influence to buy SOs for the next 30 levels (and I was in my teens at that point). Of course, the new crafted stuff is better, but that's not the point of my topic.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 03:38:23 PM »

Me and a buddy resub every 4 months or so for a visit.  We decided to try a themed duo and had a blast as Sherlock Ohms (ele/ele blaster) and Doctor Watson(emp/ele def).  We even one a won a couple costume contest in our victorian get ups.  Come DR. Watson, we have a mystery to solve...

morlac00 on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »

Quote from: morlac on February 26, 2008, 03:38:23 PM

Me and a buddy resub every 4 months or so for a visit.  We decided to try a themed duo and had a blast as Sherlock Ohms (ele/ele blaster) and Doctor Watson(emp/ele def).  We even one a won a couple costume contest in our victorian get ups.  Come DR. Watson, we have a mystery to solve...

Oh now that's cool. I love your choice of names and powers, too.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 08:46:20 PM »

I just re-subbed too. My highest toon is Hanton lvl 45 I think he is still in the Wanderers but not sure.

I started a new toon, his name is Captain H, I also have a lvl 15 named Kauner.

They are all on Virtue if anyone wants to look me up.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 12:33:22 AM »

We've got four now on Virtue villain side in the wanderers guild (drifters).  I occasionally pop over to see how the other half is living and might see you slywink

Right now three of us are levelling thug/ toons and eventually we'll have our 18 gangsters with our 30 extra gang war gangsters for a total of 51 entities from 3 players.  Would be fun to see a group of 8!

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »

I dont have CoV or else I would join you guys over there. I know it can be bought for cheap right now but I won't have the funds to buy it for about another 2 weeks. So hopefully I will see you in two weeks.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 27, 2008, 06:22:11 PM

I dont have CoV or else I would join you guys over there. I know it can be bought for cheap right now but I won't have the funds to buy it for about another 2 weeks. So hopefully I will see you in two weeks.

You don't have CoV, or you never bought the game period? If you bought CoH anytime from launch, until about 2-3 months ago, you now have access to CoV free.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 07:36:56 PM »

I'm not even sure you have to buy the client anymore.  Just download the client and start paying your subscription.  Get a referral from a current subscriber and get some free time on top and so do they.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 08:55:50 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 27, 2008, 07:36:56 PM

I'm not even sure you have to buy the client anymore.  Just download the client and start paying your subscription.  Get a referral from a current subscriber and get some free time on top and so do they.

No, you have to purchase the client somehow if you don't own it already. It only runs $30 now, and like most MMOs, comes with a free month of play.

However, if you do do as quoted, both players get some free time out of it.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 04:41:06 PM »

Well, I installed and re-upped.  Thanks Hark for the 15 day free trial , so I'll patch tonite and grab CoV (it is free sinceI have the original client?)  and hopefully I will be online tonite.  Hopefully this will cure me of my mmo fix

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »

Yep COV should be free if you own COH and vice versa.  Now stop all this resub talk before I go and do something.

morlac00 on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »

Quote from: morlac on February 28, 2008, 08:18:12 PM

Now stop all this resub talk before I go and do something.

Join us. You can't resist the GT Forum Effect.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 01:23:33 AM »

OK I just rolled a CoV toon on virtue, his name is Scraper Von Doom. Hopefully the devs wont change my name.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 01:39:24 AM »

Harkonis, can you post the name of some of the SG members on the CoV side so I can try to join the SG?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 02:00:35 AM »

Just add me to your global friend list, my chat handle is @Harkonis
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2008, 03:56:16 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 29, 2008, 01:23:33 AM

OK I just rolled a CoV toon on virtue, his name is Scraper Von Doom. Hopefully the devs wont change my name.

First off - isn't Scrapper spelled with two P's?

Second off - as long as he doesn't look like Doom, I think you're safe. Doom is too generic of a name by itself.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 12:53:02 PM »

Well, I'm patched up and will be on tonite.  Will make a  Mastermind I think on CoV side.  Not sure on name.  It was good seeing my CoH scrapper Forge this morning.   Looking forward to hooking up with you guys tonite. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 01:53:05 PM »

So now I know why Pinnacle seems deserted. It's not -- it's just everyone sits in the auction houses doing sales/searches all night, so almost nobody is actually going out beating up villains.  disgust

I mentioned it in broadcast channel and someone replied, "true."  Roll Eyes

On the positive side, I finally was able to make a high level invention (damage), and socketed the resulting enhancement:

Like most 40 plus nights, the only team interest I got was "wanna pad my mish?" and "interested in bridging?" disgust

All's not lost though. The "XP smoothing" really is noticeable at those levels and I made a bubble of progress in maybe under an hour just grinding mobs in Peregrine Island. Blackjack's been at 44 forever, and the faster progress without doing missions was very noticeable. smile And I still had fun barreling my scrapper into large groups.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 01:58:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2008, 02:11:55 PM »

And I'm late to customizing my swords (scrappers) and rifles (blasters). Some examples...

My 47 blaster Crusasder (assault rifle/devices). I went with this garish Nemesis-style bayoneted gold rifle. Too bad you can't use the bayonet.  drool

"rusty sword" option for Kato Katana (katana/super reflexes) scrapper, though I actually went with...

Silverknight (broadsword/invulnerability) is still my lone L50 character. I like this particular broadsword option... icon_cool
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 02:13:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: