http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 06:22:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which is you?
I prefer COD5, but feel I was better at COD4 - 1 (7.1%)
I prefer COD4, but feel I am better at COD5 - 0 (0%)
I prefer COD5 and feel I am better at COD5 - 5 (35.7%)
I prefer COD4 and am better at COD4 - 6 (42.9%)
I like both equally - 2 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COD4 vs. COD5  (Read 2128 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2009, 03:34:37 PM »

Lately, it seems like COD5 is just gelling with me and I'm getting kill counts in the game that are consistently better than I ever got in COD4. I don't know if the game is balanced differently than COD4 or if there's a talent drain, but it seems I'm able to get 20 to 30 kills in a match almost at whim.  I also already have a higher K/D than I ever achieved in COD4 (I'm at 1.7 in TDM. The highest I ever got in COD4, was 1.69).

Maybe I'm not experimenting as much (I pretty much ignore whole classes of weapons like the bolt actions) and I'm sure the tanks have helped boost my K/D, but I wonder what it is that makes this game somehow easier than COD4.

I'm sure Hark will have some pretty developed thoughts on this, but I'm also interested in what others have to say.

As for the poll, I think at this point, I'm enjoying COD5 more than I did COD4. I think the map variety is better and the vehicles and weapon types seem to mix things up and keep it more fresh.  But COD4 is the most played game I've ever owned. So I have to give them equal billing. But I would say that I'm slightly better at 5.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:36:18 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:49:27 PM »

I personally like CoD4 better, and was better at it, but then again I was playing on the PC so my controls felt more accurate since I'm more used to mouse/keyboard even after all these years of playing on consoles.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:14:27 PM »

i picked "i prefer cod 4 and am better at it," though im a pretty mediocre player at both and think its probably a wash as to which im better at

from the visuals to the maps to the weapons to the speed of unlocks (which for the weapons / attachments just felt much better in cod 4, for me at least) i liked everything about 4, more

the ONLY thing i liked better in cod 5 - DOGS!  seriously i got a huge kick out of them whenever they showed up, regardless of which team called them.  actually MAYBE i liked the bolt action rifles more in 5 too - before i took it back i had just unlocked the sniper scope for the mugin? (3rd bolt action to unlock) and was having a BLAST with it
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:00:03 PM »

I'm 50/50.  I prefer the setting and weapons of COD5, but I hate the spawning problems. 

I tend to suck at both though, most of the time my K/D ratio is around 1:1.  What's most frustrating is that I'm wildly inconsistent.  One match I'll go 3-15, then a few matches later I'll go 17-2.  Mostly the former though.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:52:57 PM »

If I could play hardcore CoD5 without tank maps, I would probably say I prefer it. But I can't. Do they have hardcore team deathmatch on CoD4?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 05:58:20 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 23, 2009, 05:52:57 PM

If I could play hardcore CoD5 without tank maps, I would probably say I prefer it. But I can't. Do they have hardcore team deathmatch on CoD4?

Yup.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 06:02:13 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 23, 2009, 05:58:20 PM

Yup.

I should try that some time. I like that HCTD is slower paced (you literally move slower, among other things that slow the game down) and I wonder if it feels the same way in CoD4.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 03:21:41 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 23, 2009, 06:02:13 PM

Yup.

I should try that some time. I like that HCTD is slower paced (you literally move slower, among other things that slow the game down) and I wonder if it feels the same way in CoD4.

I've seen nothing at all that indicates you move any slower, I think you might just be perceiving it due to the overall slower pace caused by the respawn timer.  Only differences in hardcore are the lack of hud, respawn wave timer, and health is reduced to 30 instead of 100.  People have ripped apart the data files to get all the numbers behind the scene and those are the only things changed.  Pretty sure movement speed is always the same, though weapons change it.  You do move a bit faster in COD4 compared to COD5 though.

For the record Hardcore in COD4 isn't very enjoyable to me.  The reason is that all the weapons in COD4 are so damned powerful, accurate and rapid firing that 30 health just isn't enough.  While normal mode is slightly over the line for realism, hardcore mode is just not as fun as a game.  COD5 hardcore is a nice compromise between COD4 normal mode and COD4 hardcore and part of why I like it so much.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 03:39:04 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 24, 2009, 03:21:41 PM

Quote from: Teggy on February 23, 2009, 06:02:13 PM

Yup.

I've seen nothing at all that indicates you move any slower, I think you might just be perceiving it due to the overall slower pace caused by the respawn timer.  Only differences in hardcore are the lack of hud, respawn wave timer, and health is reduced to 30 instead of 100.  People have ripped apart the data files to get all the numbers behind the scene and those are the only things changed.  Pretty sure movement speed is always the same, though weapons change it.  You do move a bit faster in COD4 compared to COD5 though.

For the record Hardcore in COD4 isn't very enjoyable to me.  The reason is that all the weapons in COD4 are so damned powerful, accurate and rapid firing that 30 health just isn't enough.  While normal mode is slightly over the line for realism, hardcore mode is just not as fun as a game.  COD5 hardcore is a nice compromise between COD4 normal mode and COD4 hardcore and part of why I like it so much.

Maybe what I am remembering is from going from CoD5 HC to CoD4 regular.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 12:00:17 AM »

I really liked COD5. It grew on me and became something that I played almost every night despite it's many faults. But I was much better at COD4.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 02:57:16 PM »

I'd say right now both are about equal.

CoD5 has the advantage that if my friends and I get sick of XBL action, we can switch over to Zombies or do the co-op campaign.  Hell, I have friends that will only play 4 for MP, but play 5 for co-op.

Spawning was and issue for me in 4, and it's even worse in 5.  Add dogs to the horrible spawning and at times the game gets shut off.  For example, one match on Dome (CoD5) I got shot, spawned on my martrydom grenade, spawned next to 2 dogs (instant death), spawned next to the same 2 dogs, then spawned walked 5 feet and got shot again, then spawned right in front of a spray and pray and, of course died for the 6th time in under 45 seconds.

As much as I hated the helicopter in 4, tanks in 5 are worse.  2 RPGs usually took down a helicopter before it could do anything (hell, a mounted machine gun could down one in 4 seconds).  Tanks can absorb a lot of damage without another tank to match it, all the while sitting and spawn camping.

I'd like to think I'm good at both, and the only reason I feel I'm better at 4 is that I had a lot more time with it.

Just a little hiccup.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 07:52:30 PM »

I still don't get the 'tanks are too hard to kill' responses.  Tanks are VERY easy to kill and we've gone over how in many threads. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 08:02:45 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 27, 2009, 07:52:30 PM

I still don't get the 'tanks are too hard to kill' responses.  Tanks are VERY easy to kill and we've gone over how in many threads. 

Had a great moment where I was stalking a tank all around a map and they got recon just as I got behind it. I had one satchel already on him and he decided to back up and run me over.  I place my second one right under him and

BOOOOOOOOOOYAAAAAAAH!

That was all she wrote.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: