http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 03:53:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CoD4 is a good game... but it's definitely not as good as people rave about  (Read 2550 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2008, 08:21:47 PM »

Have played about 9+ hours online and I have some thoughts about the game everyone is raving about:

1)  spawning.  The spawning in this game is retarded.  Why do I spawn in the middle of a cluster of enemies only to die 2 seconds after being respawned?  Give me a chance plz thx

2)  grenade spamming.  You think after CoD2 they would have learned... but I guess not.  We just start a game, I run along with some teammates, all of a sudden WAM I'm dead.  I watch on the kill cam that an individual threw a grenade over a barn which killed me.  Awesome.  THIS IS MODERN COMBAT - RANDOM GRENADE THROWING IS A GO

3)  perks.  Some are nifty (bandolier, stopping power, etc.) but martydom is some bullshit and makes the game dumb.  I knife some joker and UH OH he somehow grabbed a grenade off his belt while dying and pulled the pin and I can't get away from it so he gets a kill.  Ooook..

4)  rewarding players who cap zones.  I get only 15 points for running into a firefight, getting prone and capturing a zone while some pussface sits back and focuses on improving his k / d ratio by looking through a little slot in the wall and killing 2 people?  And why isn't there a stat for the amount of zones you've capped either?

I enjoy CoD4 to an extent but people like to talk about CoD4 like it's the second coming of Jesus when it's not and it suffers some of the same problems CoD2 had!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 09:17:01 PM »

Quote from: depward on February 14, 2008, 08:21:47 PM

Have played about 9+ hours online and I have some thoughts about the game everyone is raving about:

N00b. Keep playing

1)  spawning.  The spawning in this game is retarded.  Why do I spawn in the middle of a cluster of enemies only to die 2 seconds after being respawned?  Give me a chance plz thx

Agreed. Spawning is broken.

2)  grenade spamming.  You think after CoD2 they would have learned... but I guess not.  We just start a game, I run along with some teammates, all of a sudden WAM I'm dead.  I watch on the kill cam that an individual threw a grenade over a barn which killed me.  Awesome.  THIS IS MODERN COMBAT - RANDOM GRENADE THROWING IS A GO

This should only happen on certain maps.  Also, you'll learn the spots where you're more prone to be hit by a grenade at the start of a match. Avoid those.

3)  perks.  Some are nifty (bandolier, stopping power, etc.) but martydom is some bullshit and makes the game dumb.  I knife some joker and UH OH he somehow grabbed a grenade off his belt while dying and pulled the pin and I can't get away from it so he gets a kill.  Ooook..

The simple solution is run. Martyrdom becomes less of a problem the more time you spend in the game.

4)  rewarding players who cap zones.  I get only 15 points for running into a firefight, getting prone and capturing a zone while some pussface sits back and focuses on improving his k / d ratio by looking through a little slot in the wall and killing 2 people?  And why isn't there a stat for the amount of zones you've capped either?

I don't do capturing zones. But you're right. Camping can be a problem. But like in real war, there are ways to work around and or through nearly every camp spot on every map.

I enjoy CoD4 to an extent but people like to talk about CoD4 like it's the second coming of Jesus when it's not and it suffers some of the same problems CoD2 had!

If it was the 2nd coming, I wouldn't be here to play it. OMG ROFL! Christian humor FTW!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 10:38:34 PM »

ATB, your avatar is an optical illusion to me, all I see is a crusader's helm in the middle slywink

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 10:47:58 PM »

You tell'em ATB.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 10:55:49 PM »

So you're saying the more I play, the faster my guy will run?  Have you ever knifed someone with martydom?  Guaranteed death... it's redonkulous.

I'm curious if this is your first foray into CoD multiplayer, ATB.  The way you're enjoying (and playing the hell out of) CoD4 was my feeling with CoD2's multiplayer (problems but I f'n loved it).  But now that it's repeated it's hard to justify the same problems...

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 11:16:06 PM »

Quote from: depward on February 14, 2008, 10:55:49 PM

So you're saying the more I play, the faster my guy will run?  Have you ever knifed someone with martydom?  Guaranteed death... it's redonkulous.

Except that it isn't?

I did it multiple times in a game of headquarters last night.

Sidenote: getting an air-strike on nothing but knife kills is freakin awesome.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 11:32:47 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on February 14, 2008, 11:16:06 PM

Except that it isn't?

I did it multiple times in a game of headquarters last night.

Sidenote: getting an air-strike on nothing but knife kills is freakin awesome.

What running perk do you have then?   icon_wink

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 11:39:09 PM »

Doesn't take any perk to get away from martyrdom, just run.  The key is to always move as soon as you drop someone.  If you wait to see if they have martyrdom, it's too late, assume they do.  I rarely die from martyrdom even when knifing, only time I get tagged is if I'm boxed in or sometimes if they have sonic boom also I'll get caught in the blast.  Martyrdom can be annoying, but when you plan for it, it's a complete non-issue.

Most of the things you complain about are easily avoided if you are prepared for them, especially the early round 'nade spam.

Regarding spawns, I used to bitch a lot about the way spawns work in this game, but once you have a decent team it's not that bad at all.  The spawning is based on the location of your teammates, the only time you're going to get spawn camped for more than a death or two is if nobody is moving out of the area.  Most maps (crash has a place that can be a problem) if the team makes a concerted effort you can at least get one or two people out of a camped spawn so the team is spawning elsewhere. 

My only complaint that still stands after many many hours of playtime is map balance.  Several of the maps simply favor the team that starts on a certain side (most often the US/Brit side.)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 12:24:54 AM »

But it can be agreed that the martyrdom grenades have a crazy amount of range.  And the fact that I have to sprint away after every time I kill someone up close?  Dumb.

I was going to make a post just like this.  Regardless of what was said about the game's multiplayer not feeling like CoD2 (CALVIN LIES), the game feels just like CoD2's multiplayer.  Annoying, stupid ticks and all.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 05:43:07 AM »

I don't know. I do hate martyrdom, but not because it's hard to avoid. I hate it just because it's stupid.

I don't even necessarily run everytime I make an up close kill. I tend to react most often to the clink sound the grenade makes when it hits the ground. Usually if I die because of martyrdom it's because I walk around a corner after someone dies and drops one and don't get any time to react at all.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 12:41:01 PM »

I'm curious if this is your first foray into CoD multiplayer, ATB.  The way you're enjoying (and playing the hell out of) CoD4 was my feeling with CoD2's multiplayer (problems but I f'n loved it).  But now that it's repeated it's hard to justify the same problems...

Indeed it is sir.  I won't claim that it's perfect, but it's the best MP I've ever played in any game ever- of course my range of MP experience is very limited.

My least favorite perk is Last Stand.  There have been dozens of times where I need one kill to get a helicopter, I take down a guy- he goes into last stand and he or one of his buddies kills me before I get the kill.  That suxxors.

As for martyrdom, like thin_j said, I react to the clinking of the grenade. With the exception of times I get hung up on the environment or you're in a small room and the d00d has sonic boom, you can usually escape.

And also like thin_J said, the worst is when you are joining the fray, one of your teammates has killed a d00d and you walk over his martyrdom grenade...
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 04:32:02 PM »

COD 4 deserves all the praise it gets.  There's no game in existence where I couldn't come up with at least 4 gripes, that doesn't mean they are any less outstanding.  Also, people rave about the whole package.  The single player game does some very unique things that is not typical of all the FPS out there.  The graphics are also something that people rave about.

I agree with points 1/2/4.  4 is avoidable, I just don't play that mode.  I love killing noobs that think martyrdom is the greatest perk smile
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 06:52:32 PM »

It amuses me to no end watching people drop Martyrdom grenades in Hardcore.

I saw a guy with -60 points after a Hardcore TeamDeathmatch; he TKed 8 or 9 times.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 09:36:26 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 15, 2008, 12:24:54 AM

But it can be agreed that the martyrdom grenades have a crazy amount of range.
If they have the Sonic Boom perk, yeah.

And the fact that I have to sprint away after every time I kill someone up close?  Dumb.

Or you can throw the grenade (though admittedly I've never gotten the hang of it)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 10:08:21 PM »

Sadly the grenade timers usually don't allow enough time to be thrown away in those situations.  I think the grenade timer on martyrdom should be made slightly longer.

I actually don't like the skill at all and won't be using it.  Just seems like a cheap and free death kill, all the other perks require effort to use, this one doesn't.  Whereas last stand takes some effort despite how annoying it is to some.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 02:26:36 PM »

My biggest gripe with the multiplayer is that the maps are all so small and tight. I like the wide open map every now and then and there really isn't one. Other than that CoD4 is a great game.

If I want to switch to big open maps then I load of Warhawk and have a great time with that.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 09:23:59 PM »

thumbsup CoD4 overall perks/weapons/customizable classes
 thumbsdown Random spawns in the middle of a firefight
 thumbsup UAV & Airstrike concept
 thumbsdown Helicopter that SEE's AND KNOW's ALLLLLLL!!

Oh and just recently:
 thumbsdown Ambush: Glitched up ruined non-accessable houses that people get into...   I had to whip out the deep impact LMG to get this entire clan of monkeys that know EXACTLY how to get up there every time with ease.

Gonna eat your face
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 09:35:55 PM »

Quote from: Mikagami on February 20, 2008, 09:23:59 PM

Oh and just recently:
 thumbsdown Ambush: Glitched up ruined non-accessable houses that people get into...   I had to whip out the deep impact LMG to get this entire clan of monkeys that know EXACTLY how to get up there every time with ease.

In the middle of the map?  Op For side?  Yep. Exploiter's suck.
UncleSmoothie
Gaming Trend Reader

Turn off the boombox, put on your hi-tops.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 05:03:08 PM »

I'm late for this fight but allow me to add my two bits:

I remember about a week into the CoD4 multiplayer beta when people when the number of people who had leveled up high enough to unlock martyrdom reached a sort of critical mass; you could tell because it was as if someone had turned on the waterworks at the official CoD4 boards. I'd never seen so much crying. Martyrdom is unfair, overpowered, unbalanced etc etc.

Then the next week, the crying stopped. People had gotten used to the perk, and just learned to sprint away as soon as they dropped a guy in close quarters. Simple as that. For me personally, once I had played enough, I realized that I had completely internalized the number of beats between a player dying and the martyrdom grenade popping off; you can anticipate the explosion. I can do that, and you can go check the online stats and see that I haven't put 1/10 the amount of time into this game that the hardest of the hardcore on this board have.

I would argue, Depward, that you're seeing the problem with being a late adopter to an online multiplayer game. 99% of the people who will ever buy the game have already bought it, and the majority of people who own it have ceased playing it online. The competition that you're left with is disproportionately guys who are pretty damn good (IkeV notwithstanding), and there's no big influx of noobs (that is, noobs relative to you) to push you up the relative scale. The learning curve is going to be harder for you than it was for early adopters, and that may be the source of some of your frustration.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »

So why am I constantly on the top leaderboards when I play?  I've since put some more hours into this game but I'm not finding it attractive enough to consistently come back to it.  I don't think there's too much of a learning curve for CoD4 aside from knowing about how some perks work and where people like to look through little slits and holes to snipe you.  Not gloating, but it seems as if I've learned the nuisances for the game.  These complaints aren't coming from someone who is having 3 - 15 games either...

Whereas in a game like Halo 3, the "learning curve" is very noticable - you can't compete with those that have puts hundreds and hundreds of hours into that game.  In CoD4, you CAN compete with those kind of people... which should be labeled as a positive and is one thing CoD4 really does well; make it a level ground, no matter how much you've played (or at least until you can level up enough to get a decent gun   icon_biggrin)

Three out of the four complaints were in CoD 2.  The fourth wasn't in that edition of the game simply because it didn't have that feature.  This isn't a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation; it's a "it's been broken and still is present" one.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 05:59:22 PM »

Don't listen to UncleSmoothie as he's apparently one of the people who has abandoned the game as he refuses invites now so he can play 'soccer' videogames.  Lame lame lame.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 06:24:04 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 16, 2008, 05:59:22 PM

Don't listen to UncleSmoothie as he's apparently one of the people who has abandoned the game as he refuses invites now so he can play 'soccer' videogames.  Lame lame lame.

Dude!  UncleSmoothie cred + 1,000!  FIFA or PES?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: