http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 12:50:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City of Heroes/Villains Issue 12: Midnight Hour  (Read 6861 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2008, 06:23:34 PM »

Team luck just varies wildly, imho, depending on time of day, day of the week, and what's going on on the test server (if there's something "hot" previewing on the test server, lots of players desert live servers to try it). Freedom is generally acclaimed as the businest server, but I still think that's just a guess based on it having another "busy blip" in the servers listings.

I'm wildy pleased with the new PC's performance in CoX. The game looks so much better and runs so much faster (even in the midst of the Rikti invasion event the other night, it never slowed down a bit -- I think it almost ran too fast, cause sometimes buttons didn't respond), it feels like a new game to me.

Here's a blurry (due to Photobucket's Flash conversion process  disgust) video of it:

All you need to know is normally on my old PC it turned into a slideshow, and attempting to do a FRAPS movie like this was unthinkable (it would just bog things below playable in the process).  thumbsup

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2008, 06:26:37 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 20, 2008, 06:23:34 PM

(even in the midst of the Rikti invasion event the other night, it never slowed down a bit -- I think it almost ran too fast, cause sometimes buttons didn't respond)

No, that's just lag. That happens when 50+ players get together 10 feet from one another to 'save the zone'. biggrin

Still, I love the Invasion Events. Same when the chat channel I'm always in on announces that a GM (Giant Monster) is up, and I join in. It's because I love seeing all the crazy costumes that people come up with.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2008, 02:57:36 AM »

Well, I look at it from the standpoint that my old PC was so sluggish that I never "got ahead" of the lag curve, so this buttons-not-activating problem is something I never had the displeasure of experiencing before. I guess that's a good thing, right?  saywhat

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2008, 12:38:04 PM »

Warcry had an interview with senior lead designer Matt Miller (Positron) and powers designer Floyd Grubb (Castle) about Issue 12:
http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/interviews/4816-City-of-Heroes-Exclusive-Interview-With-Matt-Miller-Floyd-Grubb
The one new thing I don't recall reading elsewhere is...
He's also excited about the addition of traditional RPG branching tree dialogue, something they didn't have in City of Heroes until this Issue and will now begin to use quite a bit.

"In this issue it's just the test bed for it, we got the tech late into the development process so we were not able to use it everywhere we wanted to," said Miller.

This allows them to put options into conversations or theoretically do things like present players with situations like which wire to cut when diffusing a bomb. It sounds simple, but it makes their options as mission designers much greater.
Of course it's always the red wire. Or is it the green wire?  icon_confused icon_lol

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2008, 12:43:45 PM »

Oh here's some closeups of how ze game looks on the new system (NVIDIA 8600 card):

Doc was on a team with this high level (47 I think) dual blades scrapper.

This is Doc's (45 defender) alt costume (not the one I use for my avatar here). He uses the Jet Boots option that you can get from a recipe (commonly available at the auction house, though I think he actually got his as a mission reward drop).

Crusasder's my 47 rifle/devices blaster. Recently revamped the costume to use some stealth style armor.

I can finally play with AA on (about 4x here). Yeesh, I wish I'd known what I was missing. smile
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 12:49:30 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2008, 12:49:03 PM »

I realize you just got the system and might not want to hear upgrade suggestions just yet, but I'd suggest replacing your vid card as soon as you can with a full blown 8800 (insert suffix here).  The x600 version of any nvidia card always have some performance issues compared to the x800 of the same series.

You probably won't notice for awhile since it's such an upgrade from where you were before, but I just got an 8800 GTX and it's amazing compared to an 8600.  I actually preferred my 7800 GTX to the 8600
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2008, 03:19:08 PM »

Someday I'll do that and replace the power supply (I replaced the power supply on my old system as one of my upgrades, so I'm at least comfortable doing that). But I'm really enjoying a system that tackles everything I throw at it out of the box at my LCD monitor's full rez (1280X1024). That includes "system killers" like Bioshock, Company of Heroes (the original and Opposing Fronts), Gears of War PC and Call of Duty 4, which is what I've reinstalled so far (along with COH/COV).

I purposely waited until BB had an HP that had at least an 8600 card cause I knew anything less wouldn't cut it. Although you can mail order a model that has an 8800 in it, buying it in store was more of an impulse buy (my birthday's coming up  icon_smile). I'm also obsessed about quietness, and generally the 8600 seems a lot quieter than some of the fancier cards (or so I read).

I'm pretty sure this will tackle Age of Conan OK. Beyond that, we'll see. smile If I had some gargantuan widescreen monitor, I might be more inclined to upgrade the card now, but this so far has tackled everything well.

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »

At that resolution, you'll be more than fine with your current video card. Once you get one that supports 1680x1050, you'll want to consider something with a bit more horsepower.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2008, 03:52:31 AM »

Open beta testing for Issue 12 starts May 6!  drool
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=info&Number=10687583&bodyprev=#Post10687583
The calendar also includes an Anniversary message from Matt “Positron” Miller, along with important dates for the next year, including:

* May 6th, 2008: Issue 12: Midnight Hour enters Open Beta Testing
    * July 18, 2008: Double XP Weekend Begins
    * October 20, 2008: Halloween Event Begins
    * December 15, 2008: Winter Event Begins
    * January 23, 2009: Double XP Weekend Begins
I know, it won't be enough to drag us (including me?) away from the "nips," boobies, see-through-loincloths, hairy pecs and other quote-unquote "mature" (i.e., junior high school locker room) stuff in Age of Conan, but it's something.  icon_razz  icon_lol
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:55:43 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2008, 08:55:44 PM »

Official site mentions mmorpg.com interview with the lead writer, with some tidbits on the new "contextual" NPC conversations system:
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?FEATURE=1916&BHCP=1%2C1&GAME=3&bhcp=1
Contacts can now know specific things about your character or the state of the mission you’re on and give you appropriate dialog to match it. I think almost every new story arc uses it in one way or another.

For example, in the Origin of Power arcs you talk to a representative of each of the five origins. When you get to the contact who is the same origin as you, he or she will have more in depth information for you regarding your specific origin.

This new tech also allows for us to make NPCs in instanced maps feel more like actual contacts in the zone. We’re now able to change their dialog depending on events going on in the mission. A great example of this is the Sybil you speak with at the beginning of Imperious’ first mission in Cimerora. She has three different dialog states depending on where you are in the mission.

This tech actually has the potential to replace our current system for handling missions.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2008, 10:06:39 PM »

Pohsyb had details on many upcoming "Quality of Life" (QoL) improvements coming to the game:
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Issue10open&Number=10736634&bodyprev=#Post10736634

One I had been dying for (and it's right there on his list) was the ability to jot a short note "attached" to a name on global friends (or friends) list so you can remember who the heck someone is and why you added them to your list.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2008, 07:11:52 PM »

In case you missed it, open beta testing for this began recently, and Preloading for Issue 12: Midnight Hour will begin the next time you log out.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2008, 07:34:51 PM »

I was playing Coh\CoV pretty heavily over the last couple of months but I think I'm taking a small break and getting ready to dive into AoC.

The good thing about CoX's is that at anytime you can jump back in and have that shot of fun combat easily.

But in all honesty I need something a little deeper from a MMO.

I'm hoping, and believing that AoC will be that. After all, I am well and truly done with WoW now...Feels so good to say that....Hallelujah!!!!!!

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2008, 01:49:18 PM »

Part of the reason I always liked CoH is because of the general overall attitude regarding grouping within the playerbase itself.  And cause I love to fly or superjump.  All MMO's should let you fly!   icon_biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2008, 05:09:46 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on May 12, 2008, 01:49:18 PM

Part of the reason I always liked CoH is because of the general overall attitude regarding grouping within the playerbase itself.  And cause I love to fly or superjump.  All MMO's should let you fly!   icon_biggrin

I agree totally. There's nothing more fun than jumping over small buildings in a single controllable bound. But I'm a Fly fan, personally.

Hyena
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2008, 11:47:31 PM »

I also am a fly fan, but when it comes to speed and controllability (sp?) I enjoy SJ.  Best of both worlds.  I like to try and land on certain things as I jump across the landscape.  Smokestack?  I'll nail it.  Catwalk around the Hellforge?  I'll peg it perfect.  Love it.

Can't wait to send my Crabspider cruising across the zones...

City of Heroes (Virtue)
Doctor Chemo
Powercinder
Shadowfyst
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2008, 09:14:09 PM »

I had these phases over the years in CoX. I originally got hover/fly for almost everybody (super jump for a couple). Then I realized how relatively sluggish fly was, and started getting super jump for almost everybody. Then suddenly I liked super speed (even with its disadvantages in certain environments) and respec'd almost all my toons to super speed.

At this point all but a couple of my toons are either fly or super speed, or some combination thereof. Metal Mandroid actually has fly but didn't bother with hover at all (it's so sluggish as to be essentially useless).

Some folks swear by teleport but I found the animation sequence annoying and never was comfortable with it. My healer Dr. Barium experimented with it for a while before respeccing.

Where I think COH missed the boat was on some powers related to travel that Irrational's Freedom Force handled in more entertaining fashion. For example, Silver Bullet in FF was a great ball to play, and used his speed to do multiple attacks in one turn, or to serve as a battering ram (if I'm remembering correctly).

As for why more traditional MMOs don't offer a fly type power (most have mounts of some sort), I always thought the difference was that in COH, most of the time you just want to get somewhere and you're not really interested or concerned about taking in the landscape and scenery on your way there.

In most more traditional MMOs (LOTORO for example), they've put a lot of effort into memorable landscapes and scenes, and textures and such, and I gather that they really want you to see that. They'll give you horse-mount or a wagon or something to ride on, but they'd like to keep you at ground level and have you enjoy some visual sights along the way.

In other words, in COH, it's the destination; in other MMOs it's the journey. Just my 2 pence.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:16:59 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2008, 10:39:05 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 14, 2008, 09:14:09 PM

At this point all but a couple of my toons are either fly or super speed, or some combination thereof. Metal Mandroid actually has fly but didn't bother with hover at all (it's so sluggish as to be essentially useless).

If you intend to get Fly, you never, EVER get Hover. You're FAR better off getting Air Superiority. It's not only the best power pool attack in the entire game, it's also a really good melee attack, and it has a near 100% chance of knocking your opponent (that does far more damage in melee than at range) flat on their ass.

Personally, I just love the option of how you can travel around the game. If you want, you can run really fast (although, yes, it's a pain in the ass in some areas), fly (but it's the slowest travel power of them all), jump (a great combination of super speed and fly), or teleport (the fastest of the bunch, but it requires your constant attention). Going from point A to point B was never more fun.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2008, 02:57:15 PM »

MMORPG has a Midnight Squad video. Later in it is some of the Roman stuff that's new.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?VIEW=videos&PLAY=1218&GAME=3&bhcp=1

Yeah, I think my toons Metal Mandroid and Dr. Barium respec'd to remove hover and add Air Superiority. Though to be honest, I have such an excessive number of hotkeys, I can never remember what my Air Superiority key is in combat.  icon_razz

This June 2004 PVPOnline strip (during Kurtz's short-lived, pre-WoW release, interest in COH) says it all about Hover...
http://www.pvponline.com/2004/06/04/fri-jun-04/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 03:07:07 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2008, 03:12:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 14, 2008, 10:39:05 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on May 14, 2008, 09:14:09 PM

If you intend to get Fly, you never, EVER get Hover. You're FAR better off getting Air Superiority. It's not only the best power pool attack in the entire game, it's also a really good melee attack, and it has a near 100% chance of knocking your opponent (that does far more damage in melee than at range) flat on their ass.

Personally, I just love the option of how you can travel around the game. If you want, you can run really fast (although, yes, it's a pain in the ass in some areas), fly (but it's the slowest travel power of them all), jump (a great combination of super speed and fly), or teleport (the fastest of the bunch, but it requires your constant attention). Going from point A to point B was never more fun.

I completely disagree with this, because using Fly in combat is a horrible idea and some classes do well fighting while hovering.  Flying while fighting gives you an accuracy penalty and an endurance penalty that I'd rather not have.  Plus manueverability while flying is a different beast in combat than hovering because you drift with inertia more.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 17, 2008, 02:57:15 PM

This June 2004 PVPOnline strip (during Kurtz's short-lived, pre-WoW release, interest in COH) says it all about Hover...
http://www.pvponline.com/2004/06/04/fri-jun-04/

Ah, a classic. Although I was always a fan of this comic:

http://www.pvponline.com/2004/06/13/june-13-2004/

And as far as Fly goes in combat - some classes can make decent use of it (Blasters and anybody that just wants to get out of melee period and attack from afar), but considering that I haven't played a Blaster in ages, I'll stick with my choice of Air Superiority.

BTW - they removed the accuracy penalty from Fly (and all travel powers) quite a while back. Now your travel power suppresses for a few seconds when you attack. The endurance issue I agree with, and the maneuverability is different simply due to how fast you're flying in the first place. Stack Combat Jumping and Fly and you'll have perfect maneuverability, along with no inertia.

drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2008, 05:36:25 PM »

According to this, Issue 12 went live today.  I expected at least another week or so of beta, so this is a nice surprise.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »

Quote from: drake113 on May 20, 2008, 05:36:25 PM

According to this, Issue 12 went live today.  I expected at least another week or so of beta, so this is a nice surprise.

Could it have had something to do with the other MMO we're talking about in this forum? Naaa... biggrin

Still - I gotta find time to play that too now.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2008, 02:33:40 AM »

I would advise people not to worry about all the threads at official forums complaining about update 12 being a premature release, because most of the threads were created by people complaining they were taking too long to release it.  icon_razz And, it's a hollowed MMO tradition...

"We want the update!"
"We're testing it!"
"Wah! I wanna play!"
"We're still testing it!"
"Wah! I hate you! I'm gonna play the MMO Du Jour instead!"
"We're releasing it!"
"Yay! Uh. Why is it so buggy? What have you done to my game?"
"Uh. We'll fix it next update!"
"This sucks! You should've tested it more! I quit!"

I'm sure this is how Ultima Online, Meredian 59 and The Realm did it, and it still works that way today.  crybaby

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »

There's a reactivation weekend this weekend:
Just in time to try out all the new features included in Issue 12: Midnight Hour, it’s a free Reactivation Weekend! From Thursday, May 22nd starting at 11 AM Pacific (1 PM Eastern) and continuing through Sunday, May 25th at 8:59 PM Pacific (11:59 PM Eastern) all inactive accounts in good standing have free access to City of Heroes and/or City of Villains!

Tell your friends and bring them back to Paragon City or the Rogue Isles!

Have a great "City of" weekend!

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: